Worth a Shot?

While going for a walk today, I noticed a dark red 98 Cavalier z24.....looks nice..

but needs engine work...1500 OBO...

I talked to the owner-this is what I got-

96,000 miles-he was the only owner

Bucks like a horse-runs....

Looks to be a head gasket-though coolant and oil are NOT mixing..yet. :(

Engine is clean...lots of new stuff (brakes, battery)

Everything works....(yes! A/C!)

Since it really doesn't any offers...he'd take 500 bucks for it......

The only other offer was from a repair shop....

This would be my beater--replacing my rusting out wagon (stupid mortheast weather :angry: )

I have a good family friend who couldhelp fix the gasket..

What do you guys think?

Would it be worth it? Save this 2.4?

Edited by daves87rs

500 for that car sounds good, provided the rest of the car is in good condition. worst case scenario is that you need a new motor, which can probably be had from a good junkyard for around 1K with a warranty. If the engine doesn't knock or anything, the repairs will most likely be concentrated to the top half. If you get it running, the 2.4L is a pretty good engine that will last a while with regular maintenance.

500 for that car sounds good, provided the rest of the car is in good condition. worst case scenario is that you need a new motor, which can probably be had from a good junkyard for around 1K with a warranty. If the engine doesn't knock or anything, the repairs will most likely be concentrated to the top half. If you get it running, the 2.4L is a pretty good engine that will last a while with regular maintenance.

yep.

I was surprised that the engine was pretty clean...looked well kept. :)

No knocking, just bucking and stalling...

though when I looked at it, it stays running...

Body's in good shape, lots of dents, and has a few tiny rust spots....

My 98 Z is still running great, for that price I really dont think you can go wrong. Check the compression on each piston, take it for a good test ride and make solid turns. Reason for the solid turns is that the j's are notorious for wheel bearings.

My 98 Z is still running great, for that price I really dont think you can go wrong. Check the compression on each piston, take it for a good test ride and make solid turns.  Reason for the solid turns is that the j's are notorious for wheel bearings.

If it is the head gasket, would it still be worth it?

Judging by the look-if it is going, it is in the early stages...

. . . oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . .

Edited by mute

. . . oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . .

Slow? Speak up man! :angry: :AH-HA_wink:

To be honest.. I wouldn't recommend the Cavalier. My brother had one and it certainly lasted a long time but it's just not a safe car at all. If you can find a similarly priced alternative that you can modify yourself.. I think that would be the better choice.

To be honest.. I wouldn't recommend the Cavalier.  My brother had one and it certainly lasted a long time but it's just not a safe car at all.  If you can find a similarly priced alternative that you can modify yourself.. I think that would be the better choice.

It's kinda funny you say that-cause I drive a Cavalier now. :)

But I understand where you're coming from. A cav isn't always a safe ride.

(though knock on wood-anyone I know who got in a serious accident in one walked

away with little or no injury)

It's just going to be a beater, a 3rd car.

I really don't care what it looks like-as long as I can depend on it.....

I'm just debating if it's worth the fix of this quad 4 (2.4).....

Waiting for BV's response on that one... :)

It's a Quad4, BV's just messing with you.

That's like saying "1992 Camaro Z/28s did not come

with 350s... they were Tunned Port powered." :rolleyes:

Go for it but talk down the price. $1500 is too much IMHO.

you say the engine ran fine while you were there, but the owner says it bucks?  Could it be transmission problems?

Sorry, I meant to say it runs...but it kinda "bucks" while we sat and let it idle..

I haven't driven it yet, the guy says that it wants to stall sometimes while driving...

Oh, well for $500 you're getting a decent deal even if a

little work is required, so long as the "buck" does not

prove to be an electrical gremlin.

Oh, well for $500 you're getting a decent deal even if a

little work is required, so long as the "buck" does not

prove to be an electrical gremlin.

Now that you said that...

*lost in thought wondering if it might be that*

Interesting part was he did his own oil changes(until recently)....

I'm going to havr to go back a double check the fluids..

It's a Quad4, BV's just messing with you.

That's like saying "1992 Camaro Z/28s did not come

with 350s... they were Tunned Port powered." :rolleyes:

Go for it but talk down the price. $1500 is too much IMHO.

Technically, it's a highly renovated and improved version of the Quad4 with a different engine code, that was renamed Twin Cam. So... it's not a Quad4, it's a Twin Cam. :P

We run a fleet of last generation Malibu's, with many using the Twin Cam engine. With a consistant maintainance schedule, they hold up admirably, especially considering the fairly severe service that they're dealt.

Someone else said it, and I agree; the Twin Cam isn't simply a rebadged Quad 4, but it's a Quad 4 with many improvements.

We had one a z24 my wife bought new in 1996 with that motor we sold it four years ago. It still running around town and changed owners again

208,000 and still going strong. And that little 2.4 has plenty of torque it gets up and moves good.

Take notice if it stalls when you come to a stop. If it stays running well in neutral, it could be something as simple as the lockup torque converter not unlocking when it should. This isnt a really expensive repair. The lockup solenoid on some of these GM's tend to get so they dont unlock. Replace the solenoid(If thats the problem) and you should be good to go. This did happen to both my sisters Cavalier(1995) and Venture(1998).

Take notice if it stalls when you come to a stop. If it stays running well in neutral, it could be something as simple as the lockup torque converter not unlocking when it should. This isnt a really expensive repair. The lockup solenoid on some of these GM's tend to get so they dont unlock. Replace the solenoid(If thats the problem) and you should be good to go. This did happen to both my sisters Cavalier(1995) and Venture(1998).

have to look in to that