Drew Dowdell

Chevrolet News:Chevy Increases Bolt Range

Quick tip -

71t4kxV-LfL._SY355_.jpg

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Quick tip -

71t4kxV-LfL._SY355_.jpg

Thanks. Here’s two for you the next time you want to try and insult someone over where they worked and what they did just because you don’t approve of the subject matter. 

C44B824C-79F1-4A78-8505-290457A7E061.png

90F02481-C874-4423-BA68-D1E32C53D089.jpeg

The issues with the Bolt are pretty simple. Either market the hell out of it to increase sales and awareness or cease selling it and move on towards better applications of EV tech like an actual CUV or SUV. It certainly is a better use of money than investing in diesels that no one wants. Combined sales of the Colorado and Canyon (both less than the Bolt for the year) back this up. 

Edited by surreal1272

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

WOW, Pulling an SMK of moving the goal post and pointing at a total different auto class rather than talking the one brought up.

The mid size sale of Diesel trucks is a loss from a business stand point, the cost and increase in fuel price, maintenance, etc. the public has decided is not wanted compared to full size diesel trucks and one that I am pretty sure is in the Redneck non college educated crowd.

I agree with @surreal1272 GM needs to either market it and point out the benefits of the auto, or build it as a true wanted AWD CUV/SUV.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

WOW, Pulling an SMK of moving the goal post and pointing at a total different auto class rather than talking the one brought up.

The mid size sale of Diesel trucks is a loss from a business stand point, the cost and increase in fuel price, maintenance, etc. the public has decided is not wanted compared to full size diesel trucks and one that I am pretty sure is in the Redneck non college educated crowd.

I agree with @surreal1272 GM needs to either market it and point out the benefits of the auto, or build it as a true wanted AWD CUV/SUV.

I need you to post a link to Colorado/Canyon diesel truck sales.  GM hamstrings themselves with the 4 cylinder Duramax (and the upcoming I-6 in the Silverado/Sierra) by treating it like a luxury option, instead of a workmen's option.  FCA gets it.  Do you think for one minute a Colorado/Canyon Duramax fleet model wouldn't sell?  An extended cab mainstream trim Duramax wouldn't sell?  Of course it would.  Get out of here with your SMK BS.

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

the Redneck non college educated crowd

Be careful, your elitism is showing.  As well as your ignorance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Proper reading comprehension and sticking to the subject were never his forte. Cut him some slack. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Proper reading comprehension and sticking to the subject were never his forte. Cut him some slack.

OK, I will.  This time.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I need you to post a link to Colorado/Canyon diesel truck sales.  GM hamstrings themselves with the 4 cylinder Duramax (and the upcoming I-6 in the Silverado/Sierra) by treating it like a luxury option, instead of a workmen's option.  FCA gets it.  Do you think for one minute a Colorado/Canyon Duramax fleet model wouldn't sell?  An extended cab mainstream trim Duramax wouldn't sell?  Of course it would.  Get out of here with your SMK BS.

Be careful, your elitism is showing.  As well as your ignorance.

You really want to talk about “elitism” with that BS you spouted about me yesterday? Seriously? Next time just call yourself a hypocrite and remove all doubt. 

So criticize the SMK way yet use it as your reason for Diesel sales being in the toilet? What I’m seeing out of your hypocrisy is that excuses for diesels are okay but not when it comes to EVs. Face it. Outside of the heavy duty pick up market and some other commercial uses, the AVERAGE BUYER in this country (buying it for themselves and not for business) don’t care about diesels. This has been true for nearly half a century now yet the dinosaurs can’t see that very obvious writing on the wall.

And regarding the cylinder count in the GM twins, that is not the problem. I drove the Colorado Diesel last year and was pleasantly surprised (thank you torque) by it. It is not lacking for ability as a commercial use truck because of having two fewer cylinders. Any reasonable person would understand that after one drive. Again though, the average buyer just doesn’t care and probably because the full size diesel pick up market is just that dominant and tends to render smaller pick ups rather useless in their eyes, whether the reason is valid or not.

Oh and I provided the source of those numbers on the previous page. Since you have a habit of reading what you want to read, here’s a screenshot and said link. 

https://www.dieselforum.org/vehiclesales/u-s-vehicle-sales-dashboard

D842581A-1D70-46E7-A8DD-6BCD5558A326.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the link, Scarpachi

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Thanks for the link, Scarpachi

Pay attention next time and I won’t have to correct you  (and provide a link) again Spanky. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Pay attention next time and I won’t have to correct you

LOL pfffffffffft settle down

On 8/24/2019 at 7:26 AM, dfelt said:

Lets talk about why BOLT does not sell well. A number of valid bullets to take into consideration:

• It is not a Tesla
  • Public hate for all things GM
  • Lack of proper marketing
  • Lack of training of Chevrolet Sales people on how to sell an EV.
  • Lack of public knowledge on how to fuel up on the road.
  • Lack of EV brand perception.
  • Hatred created by killing the original EV1 by GM.
  • Cost especially with cheap fuel and cheaper trucks / cuv / suv
  • Washington DC Versus GM Politics.
  • Global demand is up, but limited production due to battery pack production is holding back increased sales - Read the Fool.com Investment Analysis which covers the global demand for the BOLT.

To quote the electric power research institute in Palo Alto CA:

Mark Duvall, director of energy utilization for the Electric Power Research Institute in Palo Alto, told the San Jose Mercury News, “It takes a long time to change someone’s inherent perceptions about new technology…especially with one of the two biggest purchases people make.”

https://www.plugincars.com/why-238-mile-chevy-bolt-not-selling-hotcakes-132776.html

https://www.torquenews.com/5477/2019-chevy-bolt-hasn-t-been-selling-very-well-and-it-isn-t-car-s-fault

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/05/is-this-why-sales-of-general-motors-chevrolet-bolt.aspx

End result is that the BOLT and all other Electrics are held back by battery production, limited supplies, higher costs till economy of scale kicks in and Limited options.

Final part is IGNORANCE with a BIG DOSE of a lack to learn and understand changing technology.

I don't really think all of those are factors. I think the biggest two are its quirky styling that isn't car and isn't SUV and the other is range. The dealerships should be knowledgeable enough to educate the buyers to let them know that they will likely never need to find a charging station unless they're traveling but I have a friend who works at a dealership and he doesn't know jack sht about cars. I can only imagine most car salespeople are the same based off buying experiences. 

If anything, Tesla should be helping sell EVs by having a great brand image for electric cars. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I don't really think all of those are factors. I think the biggest two are its quirky styling that isn't car and isn't SUV and the other is range. The dealerships should be knowledgeable enough to educate the buyers to let them know that they will likely never need to find a charging station unless they're traveling but I have a friend who works at a dealership and he doesn't know jack sht about cars. I can only imagine most car salespeople are the same based off buying experiences. 

If anything, Tesla should be helping sell EVs by having a great brand image for electric cars. 

I second the dealership knowledge part and will add this little tidbit. I cannot tell you how many times I had to drive or just simply move a car because certain sale people couldn’t drive a damn stick! I get that it’s a niche market for those now but it baffles me how a sale person can claim to be knowledgeable about a car but can’t actually drive it. Today’s world. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

I second the dealership knowledge part and will add this little tidbit. I cannot tell you how many times I had to drive or just simply move a car because certain sale people couldn’t drive a damn stick! I get that it’s a niche market for those now but it baffles me how a sale person can claim to be knowledgeable about a car but can’t actually drive it. Today’s world. 

I think it should be a legitimate requirement if your brand sells manual transmissions. There is no excuse for somebody who's job requires you to move vehicles around and you can't do part of the job because you're too lazy to learn. Inexcusable, imo. They don't have to be good or great at it but you should be able to do your job. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

It is amazing how many sale people are just plain dumb about the auto as they have only focused on the basic sales process:

1. Greet the customer
  2. Qualify the customer
  3. Trial close the customer
  4. Overcome objections from the customer
  5. Take them to the bank.

The basic 5 step how to sell pitch and that seems to be where most sales people's brains stop functioning. I am always shaking my head when they throw stuff out that is so wrong about the auto one is looking at be it the wrong engine, wrong features, wrong color options, wrong way of how a certain technology works. Most of the time, I just have to bite my tongue when I go to a dealership at the large amount of wrong information.

This is a key piece as to why the BOLT does not sell better, the lack of knowledge and understanding of an EV along with the benefits.

At 259 mile range, the battery range should not be an anxiety issue for the commuter person.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I think it should be a legitimate requirement if your brand sells manual transmissions. There is no excuse for somebody who's job requires you to move vehicles around and you can't do part of the job because you're too lazy to learn. Inexcusable, imo. They don't have to be good or great at it but you should be able to do your job. 

So True as being lazy to learn a manual is on par with the lack of learning the auto's they sell. Amazing the ignorance of so many sales people.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

It is amazing how many sale people are just plain dumb about the auto as they have only focused on the basic sales process:

1. Greet the customer
  2. Qualify the customer
  3. Trial close the customer
  4. Overcome objections from the customer
  5. Take them to the bank.

The basic 5 step how to sell pitch and that seems to be where most sales people's brains stop functioning. I am always shaking my head when they throw stuff out that is so wrong about the auto one is looking at be it the wrong engine, wrong features, wrong color options, wrong way of how a certain technology works. Most of the time, I just have to bite my tongue when I go to a dealership at the large amount of wrong information.

It is mind boggling how much wrong information they spread and lack of knowledge of their own products. The steps are 100% what you just said.

I told my buddy what I was looking for and what I wanted to spend and he tried to get me into something else. "You don't want that. You want xxx." Sorry bud, I like you as a friend but you're not telling me what I want and why I want it. I'd rather give him $50 and never have to worry about buying from him. Let's have a mutual agreement that won't make this awkward. He did that with both my Escape and Focus purchases. Short story;  I didn't buy either from him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think any unpopularity of the Bolt rests entirely with its looks. It's a great little scamp otherwise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Wish I had mad phat Photoshop skillz.... like to see how a Bolt would look if the front looked like a scaled-down Silverado HD.   Or with a  Camaro inspired front like the Blazer. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wonder what a Bolt would look like if it was exactly an Equinox or Blazer? 

A quarter of a million dollars.  And still no sales.

• Downvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

A quarter of a million dollars.  And still no sales.

And trolling award winner strikes back with no empirical evidence to back up his baseless comment. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wonder what a Bolt would look like if it was exactly an Equinox or Blazer? 

An Equinox would certainly sell in higher numbers than a Bolt and might actually turn a profit for GM if done right, ie market the damn thing. 

Edited by surreal1272

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

An Equinox would certainly sell in higher numbers than a Bolt and might actually turn a profit for GM if done right, ie market the damn thing. 

Going to disagree with you here. 1. it should sell in higher numbers being it's a CUV, but note it would also, unquestionably, be more expensive. Bolt is the #4 selling electric, but a E-Equinox would be $50K. Recall the flutter over the Blazer RS @ $50K. So the sales question is up in the air. As for profit, no one else has managed that, and volume isn't helping that scenario either, so far. 

Bolt's on pace to sell 15,900 this year. Let's say the E-Equinox sells 20,000 @ $47K. Do you realistically expect more volume than that? And if not, is that "selling"??

Current Equinox is on pace to sell 348,000 units this year.

Edited by balthazar

Yet the missing piece is ECONOMY OF SCALE. Seems a few folks here are stuck on thinking that when the right packaged auto is built that it would not become profitable at economy of scale.

I honestly think a few folks will be eating crow when the EV market explodes in sales while ICE dwindles and dies.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yet the missing piece is ECONOMY OF SCALE. Seems a few folks here are stuck on thinking that when the right packaged auto is built that it would not become profitable at economy of scale.

I honestly think a few folks will be eating crow when the EV market explodes in sales while ICE dwindles and dies.

Don't count on ICE dwindling and dying for at least a decade or more.  Batteries need to be better and scale a lot better for ICE to no longer being king of the hill.

• Upvote 1