NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Why The 1968-1974 Chevrolet Nova Is America's Favorite Compact Classic Car

So much potential with this car especially now as a project auto.

Posted (edited)

...especially now as a project auto

For clarity, the first 18 '69 Novas currently for sale in Hemming's have an average asking price of $43K. 

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

For clarity, the first 18 '69 Novas currently for sale in Hemming's have an average asking price of $43K. 

Yet then I am not thinking of a mint condition one, but one that is worn out and needs some TLC with imagination for what you want it to be. I always liked the body style on these. Also loved the look of the early 70's 2 door skylark.

Sure, tho I would think most builders would want to start with the best condition one they can afford, if they're going to be dumping $25K into it on top of the purchase.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Those are restored big block SSes?   A 307 or 6 base model in decent shape is probably a $5k car..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Restored and modified Novas. Popular for decades now, any clean 6-banger coupes have already been snapped up & redone-modified. The days of cheap ‘lil old lady’ Nova coupes are long gone. Frankly, seeing multiple units asking $70 grand blows my mind. Yenkos go over $100K, I believe.

EDIT: found one on autotrader; $3600, rusted/rotted, dented, parts missing, mismatched interior. Would take $10K to make it decent (not restored or repainted), then another at least $10K to get everything to make it BE... and thats with ALL labor being free. Its possible, i suppose, but its nuts on a fiscal basis. I thing Neil Young spent like $200K EVing his Lincoln. 😆

Edited by balthazar

I would do mine as grandma on the outside, with a stock vinyl covered bench seat interior.  LS swap, six speed manual, disc brakes, swaybars.  Nothing gargantuan.

These are AWESOME Sleeper autos.

Posted (edited)

The overwhelming majority of Novas on the road today are hot rodded- so they're openly expected to be a sleeper. Thusly; they're no longer sleepers.

I agree in factory low trim they can look very plain, but 1. some people really like the look (I don't know who they think they're fooling), and 2. the car has really nice lines & in upper trims, looks nice for a 'cheap' line.  

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1