Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

Some very cool testing and proving EVs can work just fine in the extreme cold.

WOW, In getting ready for the 2022 BOLT and BOLT EUV, seems dealers are slashing prices big time on the existing BOLT.

image.png

2022 Chevy Bolts drive deep '20-'21 model discounts toward $20K - Electrek

Some Very cool testing of the R1T ahead of the deliveries scheduled to begin in June.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, while ignoring the elephant in the room... CALIFORNIA... the biggest whiny brat in the union.

So, you're not wrong, but just wanted to zoom in a bit for more detail.... Storms do happen, no grid is ever 100%.  I lose power shockingly often for being only ~10 miles from a downtown metro ar

Wont happen with either Tesla nor Fisker. It will be a FoMoCo, GM, Toyota, VW that will give the masses an EV that they could afford.         

Posted Images

Interesting, forecasts for the US is a doubling of EV sales in 2021 namely due to other OEMs coming out finally with EVs.

Electric cars will double their market share in 2021, forecast says - Roadshow (cnet.com)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I just had a friend get their Bolt bought back because of the botched battery situation and he's getting either a Tesla Model 3 or Mach E(if he gets a chance to drive a Mach E). 

Hopefully the Mach E, I have seen way too many Tesla's broken down around town and the fit n finish is an eye sore when you can see panel alignment gaps on the freeway. Way over rated auto.

44 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

SCARY QUICK (lol)

Especially so in the hands of slow ICE drivers! :P 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
9 hours ago, David said:

Especially so in the hands of slow ICE drivers! :P 

Well step on it a little bit, it's got 395 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque!

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, David said:

Hopefully the Mach E, I have seen way too many Tesla's broken down around town and the fit n finish is an eye sore when you can see panel alignment gaps on the freeway. Way over rated auto.

Boy you like exaggerating! Plenty of Teslas where I live and I yet to see one "broken down" on a side of the road.  Not that they don't have quality issues, but to be fair it is not like Ford is famous for it super high quality.  They botched their last couple new car releases pretty badly.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have become quiet enamored with this.  I may get a small used hybrid to keep the miles off the Avalanche for now and then in a few years spring for one of these to be my daily.  I love this color and the green interior.

stock-Rivian-02-company.jpg

Rivian-R1T-interior-driver-scaled.jpg

This is what I love also for my next SUV to replace the Escalade. I really love the color and interior. Wife will either get the Hummer pickup or R1T. Not sure on the color though as that is her choice.

• Upvote 1

I am not crazy about funky headlights and the look of the front, but I like everything else about R1S so far.  I would love to have daily that would be efficient and will have real off-road capability, but $70k is a lot of money.  Hopefully there will be smaller off-road capable EV that will be priced more reasonably. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, David said:

He's certainly not a fan of the "SUV" look though.

The deal breaker for me would be the lack of real buttons/controls that Teslas have. I couldn't tolerate having to scroll through the screen to adjust simple things like wipers, opening the glovebox, adjusting seat/steering wheel.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ykX said:

I am not crazy about funky headlights and the look of the front, but I like everything else about R1S so far.

It certainly presents well in pics, and overall it's attractive in & out... EXCEPT the 'surprised anime' front end. I think a lot of potential buyers will shy away from that aspect (ignoring price here).

Seems according to a Post on LinkedIn by the CEO of VW, that moving Forward Ford will build their EVs on the VW MEB electric platform and will start by converting the Cologne Germany Ford sit to pure EV production using the Meb Platform.

image.png

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/herbertdiess_ford-motor-company-will-make-cologne-a-successful-activity-6768486497113923585-RK36

will make Cologne a successful E-location! Within our alliance, Volkswagen AG will contribute with all its power, Jim Farley.

The automotive plants in Zwickau, Dresden, Cologne, Emden, Hanover, Wolfsburg will manufacture their e-cars on the basis of the MEB electric modular system. In direct competition with Tesla in Grünheide.

Thomas Schmall supplies the following components: Battery, e-motor, axles, steering, transmission, brakes - more than any other car from a single source. From Braunschweig, Salzgitter, Kassel, Poznan. The goal: best quality and maximum competitiveness based on the highest scales.

Our plants outside Germany in Anting and Foshan (China), Mladá Boleslav (Czech Republic) and Chattanooga (USA) also already use MEB technology. Further locations will follow.
  • Sad 1

BMW CEO says the double digit growth of Tesla is at an end and cannot continue as mainstream auto companies enter the EV market.

BMW CEO Expresses Doubts For Tesla's Further Growth Rate (insideevs.com)

Lucid Investor Deck has comparisons to everyone else and it is rather interesting.

Full deck with explanations here:

lucid-investor-deck-february-2021.pdf (lucidmotors.com)

Comparison deck:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Silver and white are free. Everything else is $1500 or $2500, additionally. 

Yeah, modern times typical. I think only Summit White is free at GMC (Sierra), then there a couple that are $195, about 4-5 that are $495 and 1-2 that are $695. But at 70 grand, it should be included even moreso than at the $50K level. 

“Optional paint”. 
Wonder if you can get a vehicle ‘paint delete’?

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, David said:

BMW CEO says the double digit growth of Tesla is at an end and cannot continue as mainstream auto companies enter the EV market.

BMW CEO Expresses Doubts For Tesla's Further Growth Rate (insideevs.com)

Says the CEO of the company whose EVs get bitched slapped by Tesla EVs in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY.  INCLUDING sales.  Oh...and his company's  ICE counterparts have lost major market share to said Tesla EVs...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, ykX said:

Boy you like exaggerating! Plenty of Teslas where I live and I yet to see one "broken down" on a side of the road.

Me too.

My partner's Model S is as reliable as any other vehicle out there.   No major issues.  

Lots of bitchin' about fit and finish and all that.  Again, with his car, not much different than any other car... even as compared to other vehicles in that price range...   

Quality of materials may not be up to that price tag's standard's, but he didnt buy a Model S for the quality of materials.  But a Tesla is not about prestigious interiors anyway!  

He didnt buy it for the speed either. He bought it to get off of oil. And to him, the price of admission was well worth it. 

I laugh, even at @David when people bitch at Tesla's fit and finish.  Its mostly much ado about nothing.

My wife's 2013 Ford Fusion has Tesla levels of fit and finish...On the exterior as the interior is good on the Fusion.

My wife's car before the Fusion, a 2009 Mazda 3, also had Tesla levels of fit and finish. On the inside too.

My car before my Acura, a 2005 Impala SS. Well....THAT car had  Tesla levels of fit and finish. Interior AND exterior.   

People bitch about Tesla's paint jobs...

All MY cars mentioned, the Mazda 3, The Ford Fusion, the Chevy Impala...they ALL had shyte paint jobs one way or other.

The Fusion has orange peel near the license plate area in the back.  The hood, which is aluminum I think, well, its starting to peel off at the top of the hood little by little. 

The Impala had paint starting to peel off at the rear wheel wells.

The Mazda had thin thin paint.  

The Fusion's chromed trim on the C Pillar fell off. BOTH sides. I had to get those replaced 6 months after ownership. There was an eventual recall on that. Or a bulletin report...

Ive never seen more cheap interiors than that of the Mazda AND the Impala.  The Mazda is an econobox.  OK. But for the amounts of times Ive heard bitching and moaning about Cavaliers and Sunbirds...I think it wasnt fair for the J-Body to get that kind of heat when 200 years later, the Mazda 3 was WORSE than the J-Body...

The Impala...there is no phoquing excuse for that kind of cheapness.  The Impala SS cost me 40 000 Canadian to buy.  And I know GM got heat for cheap interiors, no where near the bitchin' that Tesla gets. 

Tesla is still a new car company.  What is FoMoCo's and GM's excuse?

Mazda's?

Mazda has been around a long time too...

@David

I aint gonna touch your Escalade. But your Trailblazer SS is fair game.

Do NOT tell me that your Trailblazer SS's interior is worth the price that it was sold as new. 

Because it wasnt!   You could defend it, but as vocal as you are about Tesla, I would expect that you are as harsh about your own Trailblazer as you are about Tesla... 

I say that with love! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

@ykX @oldshurst442 I am thinking being the west coast and especially the Seattle area, you see a ton of Tesla every day and as such, the more you see the more you see the occasional break down of one along the side of the road.

I would agree with ya both that it is probably no more than ICE auto's. It is weird that Tesla does not take this more serious with other OEMS coming into the market with EVs. Ford and Hyundai as well as gm and especially Rivian is going to put a big squeeze on Tesla sales as people leave for other options.