Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

Breaking News

Hyundai has released the investigation showing that the Kona EV fires are caused by folded Anode tabs. As such, Hyundai has announced they will use the SK Innovation batteries in the new Ioniq 5. This sets up a battle between LG and SK as well as a bigger problem due to SK stealing billions of dollars worth of battery trade secrets for use in their battery packs. As such SK was banned from building and selling battery packs in the US which means they would have to shutdown their $2.6 Billion dollar plant they just built with a planned total $5 billion in the Georgia Battery production plant now being up in the air depending on what the current administration does about the past administrations fine and ban on the SK plant.

This new SK Plant is supposed to supply battery packs for the Ford F-150 EV Truck and the VW ID.4 EV.

Hyundai Officially Confirms Folded Anode Tab Caused Kona EV Fires (insideevs.com)

Interesting news on Rivian and how their charging port opens as well as the push to allow them to sell directly to consumers in Georgia rather than have to build stores or dealerships.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, while ignoring the elephant in the room... CALIFORNIA... the biggest whiny brat in the union.

So, you're not wrong, but just wanted to zoom in a bit for more detail.... Storms do happen, no grid is ever 100%.  I lose power shockingly often for being only ~10 miles from a downtown metro ar

We could say the same thing about your state or any state. California is not perfect, but has led the nation in looking for better ways to insure people have a healthy life. Nothing wrong with working

Posted Images

Edmunds and Car and Driver according to InsideEV are saying that the EPA needs to change the way EV's are tested for auto mileage after testing shows Tesla FAILS to deliver on their battery pack range over and over.

image.png

image.png

Tesla And EPA Are Wrong When It Comes To Range, Says Ben Sullins (insideevs.com)

Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Very cool Video of a F-150 Rivian powered truck racing Suzuki's ATV's.

Latest on a Coast to Coast drive in the Mustang Mach-E

Seems that Rivian does have a long bed king cab pickup truck mule based on pictures that Inside EV got ahold of.

The following picture is what is being used to make this assumption that Rivian is looking at longer bed lengths since it would only make sense to offer multiple bed lengths in the truck market.

image.png

Here you can clearly see a much shorter door than what is on the launch Crew Cab Pickup.

As such, photoshop to the rescue and we get the following:

image.png

This Rivian R1T Extended Cab Long Bed Truck Rendering Looks Sleek (insideevs.com)

@oldshurst442 Your Country is making News!!! :D 

Breaking News

Canada has announced today a $2.75 Billion dollar package of buying electric buses and charging infrastructure. 

This package of spending is a commitment to buy 5,000 electric school buses over the next five years and charging infrastructure at the bus barns. 

This is a small part of a much larger change over as the Canada government has approved a $14.9 billion public transit investment to move to a zero emissions public bus system.

Lion Electric, a Canadian bus production company is committed to building both electric school buses and public transit buses as Canada pushes a massive change over from Diesel to electric.

This investment comes with a couple strings attached. Companies that supply these electric buses to the school districts and cities for public transit must be Canadian based and the various parts much be majority built in Canada. As such the government says this will drive innovation and jobs at the various existing and new electric auto companies.

Canada announces $2.75 billion investment in zero-emissions buses and charging infrastructure (electrek.co)

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, David said:

Seems that Rivian does have a long bed king cab pickup truck mule...

Seems that the puny 4.5’ bed will have an available 5.5’ bed. That’s not a ‘long’ bed, nor is it a ‘standard’ bed.
Rivian has a short bed and an even shorter bed.
I also learned in googling around that Rivian is repeating honda’s fail of locating the spare under the bed floor.

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Seems that the puny 4.5’ bed will have an available 5.5’ bed. That’s not a ‘long’ bed, nor is it a ‘standard’ bed.
Rivian has a short bed and an even shorter bed.
I also learned in googling around that Rivian is repeating honda’s fail of locating the spare under the bed floor.

Will be interesting to see what they end up doing since all this is, is assumptions.

To quote my dad:

Assumptions can always bite you in the ASS since ass is the start of assumption.

😆

Yes; hopefully they address the actual needs of the segment they’re trying to plant a foot in. Imagine if they came to market only showing a 2-dr pickup. 🤪

However, what I’ve described IS what they’re spending time building. 

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Yes; hopefully they address the actual needs of the segment they’re trying to plant a foot in. Imagine if they came to market only showing a 2-dr pickup. 🤪

I honestly get the 5.5 and 4.5 beds for a third to half of America that will use it for Home Depot runs and camping. but for those that need an actual work truck, 8ft and 6ft beds are to me a requirement.

I suspect Chevrolet / GMC and Ford will deliver on that for the real EV trucks for sure.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

A ‘third to a half’ of US consumers do NOT use a full-size truck with a 4.5’ bed.

Zero do.

Clarification, of those that buy a full size truck, I bet you will find that up to half of the truck purchases use them for home gardening and as such are more than covered by a small bed.

NOW who’s assuming? 😉

I know and have known so many pickup owners; I myself have been in the segment 26 years now, and literally none of them use it only for ‘- couple bags of mulch’.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

NOW who’s assuming? 😉

I know and have known so many pickup owners; I myself have been in the segment 26 years now, and literally none of them use it only for ‘- couple bags of mulch’.

Yes, I am making an Assumption, but I cannot see that of all pickup sales in 2020 which is 2,863,938 are used like a work truck hauling full size lumber, cement, etc. construction stuff.

Trucks are pretty common drive now for everyone and common sense would say that with the 10's of millions of trucks in the US of the 10-'s of millions registered that they are not all used the way you use it for your business / work.

I see so many trucks in the neighborhood where I live and I rarely see them with anything more than stuff they pickup from Fred Meyers, Home Depot, Haul stuff to the dump, etc.

The bulk of folks do not use them for 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheetrock, etc.

2020 US Pickup Truck Sales Figures By Model | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

I’m not talking about how I use my truck.

Saying 4.5’ ‘covers most people’ is like saying... the absolute smallest CUV cargo space covers you, or the absolute smallest sedan trunk covers you, or 200 HP covers you. That’s not how the US market operates.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, balthazar said:

A ‘third to a half’ of US consumers do NOT use a full-size truck with a 4.5’ bed.

Zero do.

And your proof of this is?

• Thanks 1

The shortest of short beds on US market full sizers seems to be about 66 inches (5 1/2 feet) (F150).   Even the mid sizers, the shortest seems to be 60 inches (5 feet). 

By comparison, the old Explorer Sport Trac had a bed which was 49.2 inches or 4.1 feet...

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Ooo, that's easy.

Name me a full-size pickup built now with a 4.5' bed.

That’s the problem here. He did not specify full size trucks when he said “4.5 or 5.5 ft” (and it was pretty obvious that was an estimated number to begin with because how much difference is there really between 4.5 and 5 ft) beds. That was aimed at all trucks, not just full size. Everyone knows that there isn’t a full size with a 4.5ft bed but there a bunch with 5.5ft beds. I’d like to add that after 12 years in Arizona and a state second only to Texas in terms of the percentage of vehicles that are pick ups there, I can honestly say that they are VASTLY underused because most fools there are more concerned with lifting them, chroming them out, and squatting them, to do any REAL work with them. Fact.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Rivian R1T is a full-size truck by general dimensions, IIRC. Wheelbase 135”. In that we were talking about the Rivian, I went ahead and assumed we weren’t talking about mid-sized trucks.

Agreed that the majority of half-ton F/S trucks seem to be the short bed, and that most days most owners aren’t stressing the max capacity of their beds. But like I stated earlier; if bed size is unimportant, so is sedan trunk or CUV cargo cubic footage. Or 400 HP. Or a vehicle with more than 2 seats/back doors for a 1-2 person household. Chose your parallel.

OR... it’s there because you may need it occasionally.