dfelt

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

"EV Planning Department"  LOL

The i3 and i8 haven't been large scale hits....seems like they are lagging behind in the EV game.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The i3 and i8 haven't been large scale hits....seems like they are lagging behind in the EV game.

Who wants to buy a BMW BEV?

6 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Who wants to buy a BMW BEV?

No one

Will be interesting to see what the Germans product mix looks like with regards to BEVs in 5, 10 years...

• Upvote 1

Interesting video feed that says VW and Mercedes Benz will be challenging Tesla by the end of this year since they are taking orders for long range EVs.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/02/22/tesla-competition-growing-but-automakers-market-share-remains-strong.html?__source=sharebar%7Cemail&par=sharebar

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Everybody has been "about to challenge Tesla" for five years now. 

Agreed and too true. Until the other OEMs actually have quantity of long range EVs on the lots to sell. This is just News Pipe Dream. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agreed and too true. Until the other OEMs actually have quantity of long range EVs on the lots to sell. This is just News Pipe Dream. 

So when will GM put (more) EVs out on dealer lots?  How will they sell the successors to the Bolt and the Volt to customers?

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

So when will GM put (more) EVs out on dealer lots?  How will they sell the successors to the Bolt and the Volt to customers?

Supposedly the preview of their BEV3 platform is to be shown in March. Then we have the Cadillac EV in April and the Hummer by GMC in May. So we should finally be getting some idea and images of what GM is working on for release late 2020 to early 2021.

• Thanks 1

Some very exciting EV news:

Polestar has shown off their EV Car concept that they say is close to production. I say it is very pleasing to see.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/polestar-precept-concept-debuts-geneva/

image.png

BMW will show off their i4 concept touring sedan looking very production ready at the Geneva auto show.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/25/bmw-concept-i4-electric-car-geneva-motor-show/

VW as they do with their performance ICE auto's by using the GTI designation had already stated there would be a GTX version of their EV's for the ID line. Now they have moved another step to say their will use their F1 EV racing tech to offer an R Performance ID that will be above the GTX and regular EV lines of ID auto's.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/vw-id-performance-r-electric-cars/

image.png

Due to Battery bottlenecks in the supply chain from LG, Audi has halted e-Tron production for a few weeks to get these issues sorted out. The bigger news is that the e-Tron will only live 1 generation as VW has decided to follow BMW and NOT have a dedicated EV name line, but rather incorporate EV's into their existing Auto lineup allowing for ICE/Hybrid/EVs to exist in the same family name. Get ready for a Family of Q5e, Q7e, S7e, S8e, RSe, RS 7e, etc.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/audi-pauses-etron-production/

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/21/audi-e-tron-name-la-auto-show/

Chevrolet launches their first of many EVs in the China Market. Chevrolet Menlo is the first of many EVs to launch in China. Has very much a Blazer vibe to me. This is on a stretched BEV2 platform which is from the BOLT.

More details in the story, but to quote them: 

They start with price, which ranges from the U.S. equivalent of around $22,754 to $25,600, after factoring in the generous subsidies available in China’s capital city for new energy vehicles. That compares favorably to the Chevy Bolt, the brand's American EV, which starts at $35,620 after the federal tax credit for electric vehicles, which is now down to $1,875 for GM electric vehicles. There will be four trim levels offered.

Chevy says the Menlo offers 110 kW of maximum output, or 147 horsepower, and 258 pound-feet of torque. For reference, the Bolt EV's motor makes 150 kW, or 200 horsepower with 266 pound-feet of torque. It reportedly shares the same new-generation electric drive system as the all-electric Buick Velite 6, with a 52.5 kWh battery pack. Chevy says it consumes 13.1 kWh of electricity per 62 miles, good for a range of 410 kilometers (254 miles) on the New European Driving Cycle. The battery can be charged to 80% of capacity in 40 minutes with a DC fast charger, and there driving modes and three energy recovery modes.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/23/chevy-menlo-specs-rough-china-sales/

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Prediction : polestar EV above will be $90K. And no one will buy it.
BMW will be at minimum of a $25K premium over the nearest IC-sized sedan. And no one will buy it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

BMW will be at minimum of a $25K premium over the nearest IC-sized sedan. And no one will buy it.

I expect them to sell since for China, Polestar is a local builder of EVs only and with the increase every year of EVs in China that are required, they will sell them. BMW too, having a family looking EV sitting next to the Hybrid and an ICE. They will reduce ICE sales as the percentage of EVs required goes up by China. Europe also having yearly increase in EVs sold now till 2030 when all new ICE auto's will be banned will make them happen. 

We will watch how they sell here. I expect them to sell at first in small numbers on the west coast and eventually catch on and increase.

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Yup. they are just nowhere near the fuel savings with the premiums manufacturers are asking. 

SAVE $1500 a year in fuel!!

*spends $20,000 more on vehicle*

• Upvote 2

That Chevy Menlo looks sharp, better than the dumpy Bolt.  Alas, if they sold it here it would be $50k.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dfelt said:

They will reduce ICE sales as the percentage of EVs required goes up by China. Europe also having yearly increase in EVs sold now till 2030 when all new ICE auto's will be banned will make them happen. 

Wonder what Chinese Gov't plan is when EV sales lag hard behind IC, yet they issued a random arbitrary end date for IC sales that comes up far too fast for consumers. Maybe they have a plan to subsidize EV pricing so the consumer at large can afford an EV.

I mean; the Gov't can say whatever they want, but I don't believe they can force an individual to buy a car they don't want/can't afford.

I believe these Grand Declarations of Banishment will be post phoned more than once as they get closer & closer.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wonder what Chinese Gov't plan is when EV sales lag hard behind IC, yet they issued a random arbitrary end date for IC sales that comes up far too fast for consumers. Maybe they have a plan to subsidize EV pricing so the consumer at large can afford an EV.

I mean; the Gov't can say whatever they want, but I don't believe they can force an individual to buy a car they don't want/can't afford. 

I assume they will set the prices of EVs to be comparable to ICE vehicles then phase out ICE vehicles.  Thus EV sales..

• Upvote 1

^ That makes no sense. What do you mean 'set'? EVs are sold right now at minimal LOSS, how are they going to drop the prices and be okee-dokie all of a sudden? Especially if that's in only like 10 years?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I believe these Grand Declarations of Banishment will be post phoned more than once as they get closer & closer.

Communist Dictators can and will get what they want. Chinese are used to following what ever the Gov says compared to here where you have the freedom to buy what you want.

Europe could see push back, but they also could balance it to force people into EVs by taxing the ICE higher to make it unattractive for anyone but the rich.

Example is that the Netherlands and UK have decided to keep high rebates in place to move people to Electric auto's to meet the 2030 ban on selling New ICE auto's.

https://www.coinspeaker.com/tesla-sales-netherlands-ev/

Germany is taking their own path after failing to have 1 million EVs on the roads of Germany by 2020. Germany will use $2.4 billion to subsidize EV purchases. This will be achieved by adding a 1 cent tax per liter to all gas and diesel fuel sold. This will help to allow rebates for EV purchases and help pay for installation at those same gas stations of EV Rapid Chargers.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/15/tbillion-plan-germans-buy-ev/ 

2020 seems to be the year that industry watchers say to watch for change as China and Europe is moving much faster than the US in moving to EVs from light duty cars to medium duty trucks and even heavy duty public buses. Global auto sales of EV's made 7% of all auto's sold with the bulk being China and Europe.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/2020-to-be-a-crucial-year-for-evs%3A-models-to-watch-out-for-2020-01-22

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ That makes no sense. What do you mean 'set'? EVs are sold right now at minimal LOSS, how are they going to drop the prices and be okee-dokie all of a sudden? Especially if that's in only like 10 years?

Go figure, but Chevrolet Menlo is priced lower than the ICE equal Chevrolet's sold in China. One has to assume that with quantity comes lower cost eventually.

Plus China like Germany has set aside billions as rebates for buying EVs.

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

China is a communist country.  Not a market economy., I'd assume the government can set prices to whatever they want...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1