dfelt

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

The sound of V8, straight 6 engines can't be replicated and it is not just loud noise, it is music to the ears of any automotive enthusiast worth anything :)

I am all for EVs and some cars can be cool as restomods but taking old beautiful cars and gutting them just doesn't seem right to me.

• Thanks 2

India Tata motors has brought to market an $18,000 EV. 194 miles of range for the FWD EV.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/29/indias-18000-tata-nexon-ev-points-to-global-ev-affordability/

image.png

image.png

Peugeot reveals their electric commercial van. Two battery options for a choice of 143 miles or 205 miles of range.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/peugeot-reveals-e-expert-electric-commercial-van/

image.png

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

The sound of V8, straight 6 engines can't be replicated and it is not just loud noise, it is music to the ears of any automotive enthusiast worth anything :)

I am all for EVs and some cars can be cool as restomods but taking old beautiful cars and gutting them just doesn't seem right to me.

Personal choice and CHOICE is the key here. I have no problem with you having your ICE auto. There should also as is finally happening choices to go EV on older auto's for those that do not want to build their own project.

I AM an Automotive Enthusiast and I AM worth it and still I like the sound and way EVs drive and work.

• Confused 1

The USA #2 largest Natural Gas producer has filed for Bankruptcy protection from creditors.

Chesapeake Energy Corporation filed for protection due to their high debt load and the ill timed move into Oil production just before the pandemic hit. Low Oil and Gas prices with high debt load made it impossible to repay the loans and as such forced the company into Chapter 11.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/29/egeb-natural-gas-bankruptcy-chesapeake-energy-corporation-dutch-wind-farm/

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Personal choice and CHOICE is the key here.

Choice is good, and I am all for choice, but taking a Rembrandt painting and painting over it modern art is not a choice, but a criminal act 😀

Just my personal opinion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ykX said:

Choice is good, and I am all for choice, but taking a Rembrandt painting and painting over it modern art is not a choice, but a criminal act 😀

Just my personal opinion

Yea, I understand that, but his art does nothing for me, so paint away I say. :P 

To each their own, that is why options are the best. I would take a sexy Jaguar E-Type conversion that they are doing. This sexy body on a modern electric powertrain zipping along.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

How is that any different than someone that takes that same 85 Mustang LX and puts in a role over cage, new suspension and a powerful ICE power train so they can race.

Are you at all familiar with the concept of money?
- - - - -
EDIT :: (posts link to EV Jag that costs $370,000)

That's what I thought!
😆

BTW- EV Type E was cancelled late last year. It's dead, Jim - going to have to build it yourself.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Are you at all familiar with the concept of money?
- - - - -
EDIT :: (posts link to EV Jag that costs $370,000)

That's what I thought!
😆

BTW- EV Type E was cancelled late last year. It's dead, Jim - going to have to build it yourself.

They said it was delayed, not dead yet. Once the Camaro was dead too.

Yes, some people do crazy things when they live in the 1% club.

For me and you, much like other auto enthusiasts, we work over time on our projects to make them happen. Still spend money just decide how and when we spend on our project.

I never really liked the E-Type.  I could see how people see it as the "most beautiful" car design ever, but I certainly dont think it is.  I even think its ugly actually...  

I dont have any negative views regarding how classic cars are restored.  As long as somebody has the money, the energy and most importantly, the passion, to restore the classics and make them roadworthy so they could be driven again.  

So called heretic powertrains?  Im all for that!!!   Of course I do have biases, so in order for me to be really impressed with heretic powertrains, the powertrains will have to fit the "persona" of the vehicle and in the style that the vehicle is being restored.  

Anyhoo...to those that didnt like the idea of an EV powertrain in that classic Jaaaaaag.  Here is an idea...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a32979753/jaguar-reproduction-xk-straight-six-engine-block/

If not...the tried and true LS swap classic never gets old.   🇺🇸💪

• Confused 1

^ Link keeps using the term 'block' - pics didn't work for me; is it literally just the engine block? For $18,000???? If so, that's HILARIOUS!!  FOR WHAT?
A repro of an engine block that stock developed a walloping 265 gross HP? For $18K?

• Upvote 1

false

false

false

It looks like its only the block.  Which I missed when I first read the article 2 days ago.  I thought you got pistons and cams and everything else that makes an engine an engine for 18 Gs. 

[ note to self ]  I must learn to read more good.   :smilewide:

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Link keeps using the term 'block' - pics didn't work for me; is it literally just the engine block? For $18,000???? If so, that's HILARIOUS!!  FOR WHAT?
A repro of an engine block that stock developed a walloping 265 gross HP? For $18K?

But they say you can use that engine block for a fancy table. ;)

You also get a 12 months warranty on the block. :P 

Very cool updated videos of Rivian truck off road.

Posted (edited)

I REALLY hope Rivian has their sh!t together because that truck seems like an extremely compelling product. I also hope they've gotten the attention of people with money who want EV trucks so they don't fold in 5 years because I think they have the kind of products to enter the market and make a name for themselves.

Edited by ccap41
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I REALLY hope Rivian has their sh!t together because that truck seems like an extremely compelling product. I also hope they've gotten the attention of people with money who want EV trucks so they don't fold in 5 years because I think they have the kind of products to enter the market and make a name for themselves.

The CEO is far better educated than Musk and seems to have his shit together as he was unwilling to sign with GM for $1 billion to an exclusive contract for his technology platform. Ford signed and Amazon. As such, we will see where this goes. I honestly right now am really liking their truck and suv and if I can fit with someone my size behind me inside the auto, am leaning towards their product.

I think they will last as Amazon has a long term contract for inner city and suburban delivery vans from them and has an open agreement to buy more once deliveries start. Amazon has stated they would like to use the vans globally.

Posted (edited)

OMG- I can buy a reinforced, all aluminum Buick V8 block, improved oiling, able to take much more in overboring, dual-pattern trans capability, can easily handle 1000 HP, for $6200.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.33.52 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The CEO is far better educated than Musk and seems to have his $h! together as he was unwilling to sign with GM for $1 billion to an exclusive contract for his technology platform. Ford signed and Amazon. As such, we will see where this goes. I honestly right now am really liking their truck and suv and if I can fit with someone my size behind me inside the auto, am leaning towards their product.

I think they will last as Amazon has a long term contract for inner city and suburban delivery vans from them and has an open agreement to buy more once deliveries start. Amazon has stated they would like to use the vans globally.

That's another thing I like about them. They seem to have set themselves up for guaranteed orders for a handful of years so they should have a steady flow of revenue, hopefully covering a lot of costs and not being in the red even if their consumer vehicles aren't taking off right away because, let's be honest, it'll be difficult to move a ton of all electric trucks from a brand new company to those who aren't in-the-know like us enthusiasts. 

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

OMG- I can buy a reinforced, all aluminum Buick V8 block, improved oiling, able to take much more in overboring, dual-pattern trans capability, can easily handle 1000 HP, for $6200.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.33.52 AM.png

Buuuuut, it's not a Jaguar. 

That's just like saying you can buy a 460hp Camaro SS for 40k or a  380hp 911 Carerra for 100k. 

Different strokes for different folks.. But, without a doubt, the 18k block sounds absurd. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's another thing I like about them. They seem to have set themselves up for guaranteed orders for a handful of years so they should have a steady flow of revenue, hopefully covering a lot of costs and not being in the red even if their consumer vehicles aren't taking off right away because, let's be honest, it'll be difficult to move a ton of all electric trucks from a brand new company to those who aren't in-the-know like us enthusiasts. 

Buuuuut, it's not a Jaguar. 

That's just like saying you can buy a 460hp Camaro SS for 40k or a  380hp 911 Carerra for 100k. 

Different strokes for different folks.. But, without a doubt, the 18k block sounds absurd. 

Agree, for a new company, while they have been grey with specifics on how many people have pre-ordered the Truck and SUV, at least they have Amazon and Ford production to get them into the black. He is a smart cookie that RJ, CEO of Rivian.

So true about the different strokes for different folks. Also that V8 block is not name brand that is desired by badge fans. I am sure someone will buy the overpriced block from Jaguar. People like SMK who are all about the badge. Wonder if AMG is stamped on the blocks of the AMG auto's or is it just Mercedes-Benz?

44 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So true about the different strokes for different folks. Also that V8 block is not name brand that is desired by badge fans. I am sure someone will buy the overpriced block from Jaguar. People like SMK who are all about the badge. Wonder if AMG is stamped on the blocks of the AMG auto's or is it just Mercedes-Benz?

I also think it has to do with the people wanting original equipment in their rebuilds. FWIW, I don't know how original the 18k block is or if it's been slightly modified. 

People absolutely are buying that block- it's not from Buick but a Buick-only dedicated aftermarket company. Buick hard core fans support it fully.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Nissan seems to know their stockholders are pissed. So Monday the Nissan CEO at the annual shareholder meeting covered their turn around plan starting with their first all new auto. The Nissan Ariya Crossover EV.

Nissan says this goes to where the buyers are, CUVs with Tesla fighting performance, battery range and Nissan ProPilot Hands-off automated driving system. Electrification and Autonomy at a reasonable price. What that price is, we do not know yet, but further details to come at the reveal of the auto set for July 15th online.

Have to say that while 2,500 attended last years shareholder meeting, only a few hundred attended this year. Yet they had lots to say.

Quotes:

one shareholder criticized the board’s decision not to cut the compensation of outside, non-operational directors.

Another shareholder slammed French partner Renault, which owns 43.4 percent of Nissan, as deadweight in the alliance because French people “excel at art” but are “weak” in technology.

Another said that Nissan’s recovery from slumping sales and plunging profits has been too slow because the new management is fragmented, indecisive and uninspiring.

One said Nissan still suffers from a credibility problem, more than a year after the arrest and ouster of Ghosn for alleged financial misconduct, because of the way the scandal was handled.

Uchida insisted that the midterm plan he unveiled in May plots a path to achievable recovering within four years. The plan calls for restoring operating profit margin to 5 percent and increasing global sales about 9 percent to 5.38 million vehicles for a 6 percent world market share.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-debut-july-15

So a 4yr plan to turn the company around with new product, sales growth for a 6% share of the global market.

I have to question if they can do that due to the Pandemic and the competition coming from various other new auto startups that plan to have new auto's out from 2020 to 2021.

It would seem that Nissan is still not realizing how fast they need to move. Hopefully they have other new auto's to come out both EV and ICE over the next 12 months as I fear they could end up as Road Kill in the global market place.

Very cool Old truck updated with modern electric motor hidden in a hollowed out V8. Very cool story on the 1936 electric truck here: https://www.thedrive.com/tech/33258/hot-rodders-hybrid-1936-pickup-hides-an-electric-motor-inside-a-chevy-small-block-v8

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Nissan seems to know their stockholders are pissed. So Monday the Nissan CEO at the annual shareholder meeting covered their turn around plan starting with their first all new auto. The Nissan Ariya Crossover EV.

Nissan says this goes to where the buyers are, CUVs with Tesla fighting performance, battery range and Nissan ProPilot Hands-off automated driving system. Electrification and Autonomy at a reasonable price. What that price is, we do not know yet, but further details to come at the reveal of the auto set for July 15th online.

Have to say that while 2,500 attended last years shareholder meeting, only a few hundred attended this year. Yet they had lots to say.

Quotes:

one shareholder criticized the board’s decision not to cut the compensation of outside, non-operational directors.

Another shareholder slammed French partner Renault, which owns 43.4 percent of Nissan, as deadweight in the alliance because French people “excel at art” but are “weak” in technology.

Another said that Nissan’s recovery from slumping sales and plunging profits has been too slow because the new management is fragmented, indecisive and uninspiring.

One said Nissan still suffers from a credibility problem, more than a year after the arrest and ouster of Ghosn for alleged financial misconduct, because of the way the scandal was handled.

Uchida insisted that the midterm plan he unveiled in May plots a path to achievable recovering within four years. The plan calls for restoring operating profit margin to 5 percent and increasing global sales about 9 percent to 5.38 million vehicles for a 6 percent world market share.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-debut-july-15

So a 4yr plan to turn the company around with new product, sales growth for a 6% share of the global market.

I have to question if they can do that due to the Pandemic and the competition coming from various other new auto startups that plan to have new auto's out from 2020 to 2021.

It would seem that Nissan is still not realizing how fast they need to move. Hopefully they have other new auto's to come out both EV and ICE over the next 12 months as I fear they could end up as Road Kill in the global market place.

Nissan would be better off liquidated and sell off the assets for cash and return cash to the shareholders.  Nissan/Infiniti have a math problem and a leadership problem and a product problem all at once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nissan produced almost 5 million vehicles globally last year..not trivial.  About the same as Ford globally.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Nissan produced almost 5 million vehicles globally last year..not trivial.  About the same as Ford globally.

That there shows that they are worth trying to turn around as that is allot of jobs to loose and the 3rd party companies working with Nissan, lots of hardship if the company fails.

Thank you for posting that info Robert. Good to know.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That there shows that they are worth trying to turn around as that is allot of jobs to loose and the 3rd party companies working with Nissan, lots of hardship if the company fails.

Thank you for posting that info Robert. Good to know.

And those numbers are off from 2017...in 2017 Nissan was #6 globally, behind Ford and ahead of Honda.   I see variation depending on the criteria for ranking, this list has them at #9 and Ford at #8.  Must be financial and not volume, since it has Tesla at #7.

https://www.bizvibe.com/blog/automobiles/top-10-automobile-companies-in-the-world/

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1