dfelt

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

Seems while Europe gets the smaller ID4, the US will get a bigger ID4 as the first of the EV's to be built in Chattanooga, a total of 3 EVs within the next 18 months and according to the current leadership, VW is to be a global all EV leading auto company and within 10 years EVs only in Europe and China markets.

https://www.autonews.com/frankfurt-auto-show/vws-ev-crossover-us-will-be-called-id4

Gotta love how fast the Europeans are adding Hot Hatchbacks AWD EVs.

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wonder what the folk that think the Bolt is ‘ugly’ think of this?

It looks better. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

^^ What happened to the rest of the car?

I thought it just got cut off coming out of the squeeze tube.

I have to say from the front, looks like a bullet train. I actually like the frontal look, rear needs work, but AWD EV is pretty cool looking as a starting point.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It looks better. 

I actually think this looks better than the Leaf or Bolt.

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I thought it just got cut off coming out of the squeeze tube.

I have to say from the front, looks like a bullet train. I actually like the frontal look, rear needs work, but AWD EV is pretty cool looking as a starting point.

I actually think this looks better than the Leaf or Bolt.

100%. It looks like a sporty hot hatch. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

zoe e-sport is a concept car, the regular one looks like this :

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 6.15.11 PM.png

Still looks better than the Leaf and more on par with the Bolt.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Still looks better than the Leaf and more on par with the Bolt.

OK.  Who would buy it here when an automaker could build an Equinox-sized version and almost literally mint money?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

OK.  Who would buy it here when an automaker could build an Equinox-sized version and almost literally mint money?

The AWD Concept one I could see young people buying and those living in the city. Rest of us would want the larger CUV/SUV that are coming.

12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The great mystery... Still no compact EV CUV sized similar to big selling CRV, RAV4, Rogue etc but a lot of compact cars/hatchbacks.

• Upvote 2

apparently tesla broke the taycan speed record already with their specially built model S

Just now, Potluck said:

apparently tesla broke the taycan speed record already with their specially built model S

edit: at the 'Ring

School districts are looking to retire Diesel buses fast and looking to states to help pay for the change over to EV buses.

Michigan state has agreed to help cover 70% of the cost for multiple school districts that have moved forward with purchasing EV school buses. 17 Proterra EV buses to start.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/michigan-school-districts-to-buy-17-electric-buses/

• Upvote 1

Charged EV is stating in their story covering all the EV's coming from VW that the company has hit the below magic $100 per kWh battery pack cost.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/as-vw-shows-2-new-evs-in-frankfurt-has-it-brought-battery-costs-under-100-kwh/

If this is true, then the ID4 Cross that is slated to hit the US dealerships next year could be the game changer that VW is touting and that industry analyst say will bring EVs below Legacy ICE auto costs.

To quote the story posted above:

Ralf Brandstätter, COO of the Volkswagen brand, wouldn’t be drawn – when the New York Times recently asked him whether the automaker had reached the magic number, he just grinned and said, “We are the company that will provide electromobility for all.” However, another exec, who declined to be identified, said that the company was paying “less than $100/kWh for batteries.”

Good Follow up to the Charged EVs story as this one has VW execs on record that EVs will be an apple to apple price comparison.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1125078_vw-s-us-electric-car-pricing-apples-to-apples-vs-internal-combustion

If this holds true, this will be a game changer that many will take home charging EVs at the same price of an ICE with less maintenance and fueling costs.

Quoting this story:

“Our goal is to make the comparison to a comparable internal combustion car—for example, versus a Tiguan,” said Volkswagen of America CEO Scott Keogh to Green Car Reports, last week at the Frankfurt auto show. “When I can put these two apples to apples. I think that is positioning it for the masses.”

The range just isn't there yet.. You need to flip those numbers for my serious interest.

Zero claims a reach of 161 miles in city conditions, but the number nearly halves to 82 miles at a constant 70 mph. At least those ranges, and the digital display's range indicator, are realistic. In Car and Driver's 75-mph highway test, we measured a range of 70 miles."

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

Michigan state has agreed to help cover 70% of the cost for multiple school districts that have moved forward with purchasing EV school buses. 17 Proterra EV buses to start.

$4.2 M being 70% of 17 buses equates to them each costing $247,000!! For what normally costs $65,000-75,000.

Unsustainable.

A quarter million dollar tin box that only sees 8000 miles per year.

Insanity.

Edited by balthazar

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

$4.2 M being 70% of 17 buses equates to them each costing $247,000!! For what normally costs $65,000-75,000.

Unsustainable.

A quarter million dollar tin box that only sees 8000 miles per year.

Insanity.

Version 1.0 on anything will always be expensive.  But think of all the diesel fuel costs Michigan is saving, especially when gas (and diesel) prices spike when there is an interruption in oil supplies.

• Upvote 1

The tremendous purchase cost will never be made up over the mandated finite life of a school bus. There is no cost savings.

• Upvote 1

I could see a case made for an EV bus costing -say- $100K vs. $70K. A fiscally reasonable & workable cost bump.
But $250K? Why not make it $500K or an even 1 million each, since money is obviously of no concern? And to toss out "it saves on fuel costs" hoping no one with 2 brain cells to rub together will do anything other than smile & nod along is repulsive. At least be honest about it.

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

The tremendous purchase cost will never be made up over the mandated finite life of a school bus. There is no cost savings.

It is a starting point and compared to the life of a diesel bus at 10 years compared to the life of an ev bus at 20 years. It does get closer with Version 1.0 of EV school buses and cleaner air for the kids who ride the bus daily.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

And to toss out "it saves on fuel costs" hoping no one with 2 brain cells to rub together will do anything other than smile & nod along is repulsive. At least be honest about it.

Cost is cost for first gen any product, but I do agree with you that it is insulting to the public to only focus on fuel costs and not cover the wider range of benefits with EV buses, noise pollution reduction, cleaner air being breathed by the youth on the bus, long service life, etc.

I think it would help them if they were honest in admitting that the initial costs up front are going to be higher, but over the long run as they convert to an all EV bus fleet, costs will come down and the other benefits will be achieved for the kids.

As some members have stated about EVs, price, price, price. 

They following Fiat EV concept could do them very well if it came in at the right price for a subcompact auto.

Seems Porsche has been lapping Tesla on the German racing track especially after their Platinum powertrain auto that broke their record then broke down and had to be lifted onto a flatbed by a crane.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-towed-nurburgring-porsche-taycan-2019-9

2019 Chevrolet Bolt looks to be earning top safety ratings again.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1125119_2019-chevrolet-bolt-ev-shows-strong-in-iihs-crash-tests

The 16 available EVs in the market this year and their specs. Pretty cool to compare and contrast them.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/every-electric-car-ev-range-audi-chevy-tesla/