Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

Seems break throughs are happening for more conductive copper which would allow more efficient electric motors and make them more powerful.

Charged EVs | More conductive copper could increase motor efficiency - Charged EVs

Seems VW ID4 CUV got it's EPA certified rating for the EV at 250 miles of range.

Quote: The ID 4 is the first VW ID model to be sold in the US and is powered by a single rear-axle motor that produces 201 horsepower and 228 pound-feet of torque. The ID 4 will be available later in 2021 with a dual-motor, all-wheel drive setup and a different maximum estimated range.

Volkswagen ID 4 has 250-mile range estimate certified by the EPA - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Seems EV is bringing back RWD to VW.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, while ignoring the elephant in the room... CALIFORNIA... the biggest whiny brat in the union.

It's been a while since I've been around.  I was browsing through some active threads when I came across this one.  After yesterday's announcement by California's idio, er I mean governor, it's more p

Trades have to pay to get listed, I think it was $750 for the first year, about $450 after that. This was about 5 or 6 years ago, when they tried to recruit me (called 6 or 8 times). The Better Busine

Posted Images

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

[raises glass]
"Here's hoping Great Uncle Floyd can get himself behind the wheel of an electric car faster to 100 MPH than a Porsche 918 Spyder!!"

I want to video tape that and put it on youtube. 

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If EVs ever become mainstream, there’ll be plenty of that.

Hope springs eternal. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Electric 7 series, now with smaller BMW grille...

https://insideevs.com/news/434332/bmw-7series-i7-ev-prototype-spy-shots/

bmw-7-series-ev-i7.jpg

Funny Scotty Kilmer parody video. The anti technology mindset is so common in the automotive world. Same thinking goes on in the anti EV crowd. 

Interesting Video....electric G wagen would be cool. 

With more of the world driving, small electrics like this might be the real future of motoring for a big part of the planet. 

Constantly evolving 'technology' is supposedly something everyone is supposed to unconditionally love and embrace, but the fact of the matter is, 1. it's a personal preference, and 2. most consumer technology is merely marketing.

A smart phone was a huge advance over a dumb phone. An iPhone 12 is 102% of a iPhone 10. Your needs remain fairly static; what worked for you in 2015 still works in 2020 [feel free to pull those numbers apart another 10 years].

• Upvote 1

Interesting Tesla Road trip. 

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Constantly evolving 'technology' is supposedly something everyone is supposed to unconditionally love and embrace, but the fact of the matter is, 1. it's a personal preference, and 2. most consumer technology is merely marketing.

A smart phone was a huge advance over a dumb phone. An iPhone 12 is 102% of a iPhone 10. Your needs remain fairly static; what worked for you in 2015 still works in 2020 [feel free to pull those numbers apart another 10 years].

Actually I usually try to escape the 21st century by retreating to the hand tool portion of my woodworking shop and reading atual books by candle light in the evening. there is a certain elemental charm your 40 Ford Truck has that these modern cars never will. 

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That being said, kind of hard to argue with high 20's MPG on the highway and 7500 pound towing capacity on the Ranger. 

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The Scotty kilmer parody video is actually rally funny though...he really does nail Scotty. 

Just now, balthazar said:

Uh-oh.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 11.48.01 AM.png

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss. Not surprising. 

One more and then done for awhile....but cool drag race.

Rivian definitely seems more purposeful & appealing than the soft boiled egg Model X; but it still needs a nose job badly. Both are lux toys for the few- Tesla sold I think it was 19K Model X in 2019... R1S is unlikely to achieve that in '22 (a supposed full year of production), even tho David believes Rivian will sell 1,000,000.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Road trip...

Maybe it's part of his devious plan to get rid of her.  Tesla is under investigation by the government for suspension failures on high-mileage cars.

• Downvote 2
30 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe it's part of his devious plan to get rid of her.  Tesla is under investigation by the government for suspension failures on high-mileage cars.

Right...because every EV fan wants to be complicit in the death of a significant other.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Rivian definitely seems more purposeful & appealing than the soft boiled egg Model X; but it still needs a nose job badly. Both are lux toys for the few- Tesla sold I think it was 19K Model X in 2019... R1S is unlikely to achieve that in '22 (a supposed full year of production), even tho David believes Rivian will sell 1,000,000.

If I wanted automotive reality I would read the Detroit Free Press or talk to someone inside the industry.

I'm just here for the psychosis and delusional ranting...and the pics of vintage iron.

They will sell a million Rivians in 2022...but it will be outsold by the Pontiac Grand Prix and the Plymouth Prowler.

See how easy it is to live in an alternative reality?

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If I wanted automotive reality I would read the Detroit Free Press or talk to someone inside the industry.

I'm just here for the psychosis and delusional ranting...and the pics of vintage iron.

They will sell a million Rivians in 2022...but it will be outsold by the Pontiac Grand Prix and the Plymouth Prowler.

See how easy it is to live in an alternative reality?

Im here for both.  Pics, vintage iron. New iron.  

But news too.  Lots of informed peeps in here.  Lots of good points of views...when there is actual discourse.  

Or...have I made THE mistake of thinking that there is lots of informed peeps in here and perhaps Im waisting my time posting in here?

Eventually, I will stop posting in here if things do not improve...

Ill repeat, Im sick and tired of walking on eggshells on what I can or cannot post in here JUST to appease a certain poster... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im here for both.  Pics, vintage iron. New iron.  

But news too.  Lots of informed peeps in here.  Lots of good points of views...when there is actual discourse.  

Or...have I made THE mistake of thinking that there is lots of informed peeps in here and perhaps Im waisting my time posting in here?

Eventually, I will stop posting in here if things do not improve...

Ill repeat, Im sick and tired of walking on eggshells on what I can or cannot post in here JUST to appease a certain poster... 

A huge number of people have given up already.

• Sad 2

Yeah, where's Dwight, and USA-1, and Casa, etc.  I know I recently begged a good guy, very long-time poster, to stay, despite the slant.  He stayed, but he restricts himself to a very neutral area.  Sad when some views are held to a different standard to the point that very good people just don't want to post.

It's the varying views that spark discourse.  A forum dies when every bird sings the same song.

Watch the lower right corner of this space.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yeah, where's Dwight, and USA-1, and Casa, etc.  I know I recently begged a good guy, very long-time poster, to stay, despite the slant.  He stayed, but he restricts himself to a very neutral area.  Sad when some views are held to a different standard to the point that very good people just don't want to post.

It's the varying views that spark discourse.  A forum dies when every bird sings the same song.

Watch the lower right corner of this space.

And I love those guys and thier input. They make me think....as do you.