Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

2006 Mazda5 GT

18 posts in this topic

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadte...spy?artid=48272

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You CAN be cool in a Minivan!

2006 Mazda5 GT (Photo: Justin Pritchard, Auto123)
Comedian Bill Engval once said "There is no way to be cool in a minivan." I agree somewhat, but then not everyone buys a vehicle to be cool. One Dodge Caravan named "Tugboat" taught me how to drive, and served as a reliable sidekick for all my teenage driving escapades, and for that it holds a place in my heart. I can't deny their usefulness and practicality. If you have a family, and your kids still live at home, a Minivan is likely the best way to efficiently get from one place to the next.
(see rest of article in link)

Its more of a microvan, and a very sporty and impressive microvan at that that I think will do well. The interior upholstery could stand improvement and how about an s version with the Duratec 30 3.0-liter DOHC 220hp V-6 of the 6?

The only people who will buy this thinking it makes them cool are the tools who bought Suburbans thinking that a big truck would make them cool and are sick of gas prices. Sorry, its still a two-box design with sliding doors, which screams of mommy-mobile.

Would you say the same thing about the Opel Zafira OPC? At least they didn't take it to the Renault Espace F1 level. That thing just didn't make sense.

Would you say the same thing about the Opel Zafira OPC?

[post="10770"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. A nice looking minivan is still a minivan.

The Espace looks like some sort of uber-uncool UFO.

For the record, I would buy an Avantime if I could get one here, and its kind of minivanish.

I saw one of these this weekend and wondered what it is. Hmm... looks bigger in person... Are these supposed to be out in lots already?

I'd buy it. I find the Mazda5's blend of practicality, sportiness and fuel economy to be very appealing.

It still has 160 HP...

[post="10746"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So?

it's not a sport's car!!

So?

it's not a sport's car!!

[post="11061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'd take the base model in blue with the 5 spd trans......... great cargo, utility, fuel economy and still sporty enough to enjoy driving since it has 5 spd......

So?

it's not a sport's car!!

Yeah but with the added weight and minivan aerodynamics, having enough power to not hold up traffic, or to pass an 18 wheeler on a 2-lane road would be nice.

any of the ricer minivans can achieve 20mpg with regularity....this thing is rated only at like 21/25 and has wussy horsepower. i like it in concept, but i think the engine is the weak spot here and i'm betting this thing is a non performer in side impact crashes.

This van reminds me of those Nissans from years ago...can't remember the name. I think it's 'sporty' look will grab a lot of buyers needing this sort of thing. But it's real hard to disguise a minivan.

It should be safe enough... it's based on the Mazda3, which in turn is based on the Volvo S40. I believe the Mazda3 was the only small car to get an "acceptable" structural rating in the IIHS side crash test. It wasn't tested with the curtains, however.

So?

it's not a sport's car!!

Tell Mazda that since its supposed to have the 'soul' of a Miata instead of merely the same power output.

It should be safe enough... it's based on the Mazda3, which in turn is based on the Volvo S40. I believe the Mazda3 was the only small car to get an "acceptable" structural rating in the IIHS side crash test. It wasn't tested with the curtains, however.

[post="11110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

'safe enough' is not good enough with family vehicles. if you doubt me on that, go talk to a femal with cash in had waiting to buy a kiddie mover for their newborn.

Tell Mazda that since its supposed to have the 'soul' of a Miata instead of merely the same power output.

[post="11177"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i am flabbergasted as to why mazda continually denies putting hp in their cars ........aren't they supposed to go ZOOM?

The Japanese Odyssey is quite cool IMO.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0