Why China Loves Buick

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I tend to agree with much of what is stated here, clearly there are some in the US that do not understand that GM is doing what any normal business should do to achieve success in the largest market in the world.

4 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Let’s just hope Buick doens’t become a fad.....

Could become the new Luxury Division of GM as Cadillac could become a history note in the future. All depends on GMs success of new models while also planning, building and rolling out EV models.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Could become the new Luxury Division of GM as Cadillac could become a history note in the future. All depends on GMs success of new models while also planning, building and rolling out EV models.

I hate to say it, but Buick needs to die here in the US so it can focus on it’s best market. Same thing GM needs to do here to focus the best products from their core 3 divisions right now....

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I hate to say it, but Buick needs to die here in the US so it can focus on it’s best market. Same thing GM needs to do here to focus the best products from their core 3 divisions right now....

I would agree that they might as well just merge Buick under the GMC label and have GMC be the mid level luxury division of GM in North America Cadillac / GMC / Chevrolet.

China I can see as Chevrolet / Buick / Cadillac.

What; hasn't been enough blood shed & death at GM since 2004 for you guys? Models, segments, brands; still need more??
'Kill Buick', 'ship Buick off to China', 'roll Buick into GMC'. You don't have to like any of it's products, but to actively cheer for another tombstone?

Ugh.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 9.37.08 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

I don't think it matters too much what they do with Buick in the USA.  The sedans will be gone within a few years without Opel or the Impala around and a rebadged Malibu if there is another Malibu won't move the needle.  So Buick becomes a 3-4 crossover brand and that's it.  You could just throw a couple of those crossovers into GMC and focus just on GMC in the middle.  If Buick gets to where they are selling 150k units in the USA, they could probably kill the brand and get 100k of those units absorbed by other GM brands.  So then you have to decide is the profit on $50k units worth running a brand and a national advertising campaign?  Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

What; hasn't been enough blood shed & death at GM since 2004 for you guys? Models, segments, brands; still need more??
'Kill Buick', 'ship Buick off to China', 'roll Buick into GMC'. You don't have to like any of it's products, but to actively cheer for another tombstone?

Ugh.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 9.37.08 PM.png

No cheering for another tombstone, it is about efficiency in business and maximizing the life of a product brand.

Rolling the Buick products into GMC and then maximizing advertising / marketing of the Professional Grade product line of trucks / SUV / CUVs would be in the best interest of growing GMC bigger than just Buick / GMC combined today.

We have to stop thinking of saving every name plate and keeping everything, but look to maximize the product family and drive the dollars to create the most jobs / profits and growth of a company.

OMG- how/where/when has there been an effort to 'save every nameplate'?
GM has already maximized marketing dollars- they killed Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer & Saab (did I miss any??) That said, per my observation they have not upped their advertising for the remaining brands at all.
2. Buick is more international in sourcing than any other GM brand, so it's not like all Buicks are built in US plants and 80% are loaded on container ships. The economies of operation might be more streamlined at Buick that any other brand. Which brings us to:
3. GM has never reported individual brand balance sheets, so there's is only wild conjecture as to what the segment of Buick's USDM is doing. I know, I know; because "it's GM", Buick 'should be selling 1 million units annually in the US', and anything south of that starts the elbowing to close the brand. That's a 1980's mindset; the pie is in 40 pieces now, not a dozen. The days when Chevrolet could move 1 million units of a single nameplate will never be repeated; toyoter can't even reach 50% of that figure even tho the USDM has doubled in volume since then.

Edited by balthazar