Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

GM News: GM Recalling 3.46 Million Trucks For Brake Issues

Recommended Posts

General Motors announced a recall Wednesday of 3.46 million GM trucks and SUVs for a braking issue that has been linked to 113 accidents and 13 injuries.  The problem arises from a vacuum pump issue where the pump make less vacuum over time, thereby increasing the braking effort. The pump is lubricated by engine oil and can accumulate debris and oil sludge lessening the pump's effectiveness.

The recall covered model years 2014 - 2018 of Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe, and GMC Sierra and Yukon. 

GM told the NHTSA that the pump design was only used during those years of manufacture. 

In a smaller recall, GM is recalling 177,000 2018 Chevrolet Malibus with the 1.5-liter Turbo engine where an error in the engine control computer could disable the fuel injectors. 


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

When will this ever stop? 😉

When they are all EVs. ;) 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard GM engineers fixed this in early 2017. I have an '18 K2 Silvy Crew Z71 4x4 built 9/18 that is not a part of the recall with my VIN, according to NHTSA and I haven't had any issues. I have a buddy with a late 2017 Silvy with no issues and is not a part of the recall and a sister with a 2015 Tahoe with no problems, but will get it looked at. I would venture to say that half or more of the 113 accidents are distracted drivers that needed an excuse to get out of the liability of a rear-ender bender because they were on the phone or worse yet, texting. Really not bad that out of 3.4 Mil trucks and SUV's since 2014 that there are only 113 "claimed brake failure" accidents. I think our MSM just gets bored and needs the next big headline because it was all over every News outlet yesterday...meanwhile at Ford multiple widespread problems with their cash-cow SUV's...https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2020-ford-explorer-has-top-secret-problems-disrupting-dealer-delivery/ar-AAHfr3m?li=BBnb7Kz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USA-1 Vortec 6.2 said:

I heard GM engineers fixed this in early 2017. I have an '18 K2 Silvy Crew Z71 4x4 built 9/18 that is not a part of the recall with my VIN, according to NHTSA and I haven't had any issues. I have a buddy with a late 2017 Silvy with no issues and is not a part of the recall and a sister with a 2015 Tahoe with no problems, but will get it looked at. I would venture to say that half or more of the 113 accidents are distracted drivers that needed an excuse to get out of the liability of a rear-ender bender because they were on the phone or worse yet, texting. Really not bad that out of 3.4 Mil trucks and SUV's since 2014 that there are only 113 "claimed brake failure" accidents. I think our MSM just gets bored and needs the next big headline because it was all over every News outlet yesterday...meanwhile at Ford multiple widespread problems with their cash-cow SUV's...https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2020-ford-explorer-has-top-secret-problems-disrupting-dealer-delivery/ar-AAHfr3m?li=BBnb7Kz

Yeah, we have an article about it here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wonder if they know this stuff is faulty and sell it anyway or if they just don't test this stuff up front and then learn 4 years later that it doesn't work.  You'd think with the massive profit margins on GM's big trucks they would put more money into the R&D and testing side to make sure they got everything right before putting it on sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, we have an article about it here.

 

 

35 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

You wonder if they know this stuff is faulty and sell it anyway or if they just don't test this stuff up front and then learn 4 years later that it doesn't work.  You'd think with the massive profit margins on GM's big trucks they would put more money into the R&D and testing side to make sure they got everything right before putting it on sale.

Nah, that's what Ford does (see above) talk about lack of funding for R&D.

GM spends a ton of cash on R&D, especially on their full-size trucks and SUV's and this brake booster issue with GM trucks is not faulty equipment, it's mostly a software bug and debris from dirty engine oil (sludge) from a poorly maintained engine can get in the booster pump valves. It's blown out of proportion, 113 out of 3.4 mil trucks/SUV's isn't a normal Recall threshold, but GM dealers are instructed by GM to update the program software and/or replace parts if need be just to be safe. All the bad or distracted drivers out there and the sue happy society we live in doesn't help either.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still shouldn't be making excuses for brake failures. Look how many people actually had issues with the GM key thing in relation to how many cars were sold. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Still shouldn't be making excuses for brake failures. Look how many people actually had issues with the GM key thing in relation to how many cars were sold. 

Not excuses, just the facts of the issue at hand. I know several people with these trucks and SUV's with zero problems, that's the reason I said distracted drivers are probably half of the claims, late on the brakes whether working at full power or not is never a good thing.

The ignition switch debacle was one senior engineer making the call to continue on with the poor ignition switch design without bringing the GM board into it, he kept it under wraps, he and anyone else involved should be in prison for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, smk4565 said:

You wonder if they know this stuff is faulty and sell it anyway or if they just don't test this stuff up front and then learn 4 years later that it doesn't work.  You'd think with the massive profit margins on GM's big trucks they would put more money into the R&D and testing side to make sure they got everything right before putting it on sale.

I wonder that too.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 6.05.45 PM.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...