Jump to content
Robert Hall

October Auto Spotter

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

w00t! I got a Camaro convertible for my rental car here in Texas. 

Pictures Please!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Hot.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 10.06.35 PM.png

Nice patina too :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

w00t! I got a Camaro convertible for my rental car here in Texas. 

Go get some!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going out for taco Tuesday dinner earlier, saw out of the corner of my eye a black w/ white top '56 Thunderbird down the next street over as I drove past...alas, it was gone when I came home later. 

I did stop and photograph this shoebox Ford 2 streets over....same house where I photographed a rusty one a few months ago...wonder if that chassis and debris are what's left of the rusty one.

IMG-2916.jpg

IMG-2919.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that 2-door sedan roofline.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard it nicknamed 'batwing' by more than one source.
I prefer the bubbletop, of course, plus this has a B-Pillar.  😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I've heard it nicknamed 'batwing' by more than one source.
I prefer the bubbletop, of course, plus this has a B-Pillar.  😔

Or flattop... the flattop would have made in interesting alternate 2dr ht roofline.   It's similar to the '59-60 4dr ht roof.   'batwing' I've heard used to refer to the finned '59 and '60 Chevy rear ends...

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, balthazar said:

This showed up at my buddy's shop the other day, owner wants to get it running. Obviously has been in a garage; last registered in 1974, the odometer shows 56,xxx miles. Stovebolt 6, 3-spd manual and zero rot.

IMG_0857.jpg

I spy some rocket power....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, balthazar said:

See page 2...

Paragraph six, third sentence.  Fourth bullet point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting in a parking lot, I noticed a small black CUV one spot over from me that I didn’t recognize.  Wasn’t until I backed out and saw the tailgate badging that I realized it was the new Escape.  Didn’t realize they were out already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, balthazar said:

This showed up at my buddy's shop the other day, owner wants to get it running. Obviously has been in a garage; last registered in 1974, the odometer shows 56,xxx miles. Stovebolt 6, 3-spd manual and zero rot.

IMG_0857.jpg

I'm going to say 1961.  What was the pecking order in the full size models?  I believe there were 3 of them.  Two were the Impala and the Bel Air.  The third one might have been a Biscayne, since there was definitely a Biscayne at one time. 

(Interesting - one is a rich suburb of L.A.; the other (Key Biscayne) is a rich suburb of Miami.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Very clean 2nd gen Aurora :

IMG_0864.jpg

That's not just any second gen Aurora. That's a Final 500 Aurora. Mildly collectible. 

You can tell from the special purple paint that all of the final 500s got, the wheels, and the badge on the front fender. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I figured that badge was 'something special'.
- - - - -
Working a theme :

IMG_0868.jpg

 

Wonder what's behind Door #1 & #2??  I vote for a '69 Mk III and a '57 Premier coupe.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 12:24 AM, balthazar said:

^ Correct on all points above.
Biscayne was bottom rung, top Impala got triple tails.

So, then, Bel Air was the mid-line model (by deductive reasoning).

I spotted a lot of cars a short while back.  I was in a state/region that would be considered Appalachia looking at fall colors.  There aren't enough words for the wonderful scenery.

At any rate, I saw lots and lots of cars.  Sometimes 7, 10, or 12 of them on ONE property alone. (Notables include the '68ish Mercury Cougar coupe with hide-away headlamps and the sequential blinking tail lamps as well as the '77 Monte Carlo coupe, perhaps the most garish of all Montes and which, as big as it was, had a true bench seat WITHOUT an armrest in the base model.)  And most of them weren't, or didn't appear to be, in working order.  I would have taken some photos but (1) I may have been driving on a two lane highway, and/or (2) I didn't want someone to come after me with a rifle.

Happy Halloween, folks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, balthazar said:

This showed up at my buddy's shop the other day, owner wants to get it running. Obviously has been in a garage; last registered in 1974, the odometer shows 56,xxx miles. Stovebolt 6, 3-spd manual and zero rot.

IMG_0857.jpg

What's the etymology of "stovebolt" for this engine? I know why nailheads are called nailheads... but why is this called a stovebolt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What's the etymology of "stovebolt" for this engine? I know why nailheads are called nailheads... but why is this called a stovebolt?

Without googling it, I believe it dates to the 1930s...something to do with the head bolts on the engine resembling bolts on old stoves..a distinctive design..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Without googling it, I believe it dates to the 1930s...something to do with the head bolts on the engine resembling bolts on old stoves..a distinctive design..

Yep, Robert is correct he gets a gold star for the day 💫 🙂👍🏻 https://www.enginelabs.com/news/mighty-chevrolet-stovebolt-six/

Some guy on a Velocity car series show (MT TV now) was trying to say it was actual stove bolts used to fasten the heads. Technically they'd have the chemistry in the steel to fight a high heat environment and that type of hardware was probably hard to come by for early auto manufacturing so you never know, the first ones in 1929 might have been!

 

Edited by USA-1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@USA-1

Great link ... with a lot of history.

As good as GM V-6s are today, I did get to experience the odd-firing (Buick) variant back in the day ... and it was not pretty.  I'm sure the basic engine structure would go for the long haul but the timing chains would not.  I wonder how many of those V-6s of 1975-1977 vintage are still on the road today, even if with ridiculously low mileage.  I always look at the badging of the vehicle if I see one of these on the road.

The link lauds the Chevrolet in-line 6.  Our family had one.  I don't know what the moniker (not stovepipe, Fireball, Vortec) was for the 250 c.i., 1 bbl., L6 that was around in the '70s.  My dad had this engine in a base LeMans.  The sound was different than that of a GM V-8, that's for sure.  However, it seemed to be every bit as smooth and dynamically balanced.  My dad preferred Olds and Buick; however, this basic Pontiac was the most reliable car he had ever owned.

And, isn't it nirvana to look at an old inline 6 and be able to touch every spark plug ... with nothing in the way?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like inline 6s.  Had really good experiences with 3 of them—Jeep 4.0, BMW 3.2 and Mercedes 3.0.   It’s nice to see them having a mini revival with Mercedes and others.  I’d love to see a new inline 6 from FCA for future Jeeps.  
 

I think my folks had at least one car with an inline 6 before I was born...an early 60s Ford Fairlane wagon when my older siblings were kids. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@USA-1

Great link ... with a lot of history.

As good as GM V-6s are today, I did get to experience the odd-firing (Buick) variant back in the day ... and it was not pretty.  I'm sure the basic engine structure would go for the long haul but the timing chains would not.  I wonder how many of those V-6s of 1975-1977 vintage are still on the road today, even if with ridiculously low mileage.  I always look at the badging of the vehicle if I see one of these on the road.

The link lauds the Chevrolet in-line 6.  Our family had one.  I don't know what the moniker (not stovepipe, Fireball, Vortec) was for the 250 c.i., 1 bbl., L6 that was around in the '70s.  My dad had this engine in a base LeMans.  The sound was different than that of a GM V-8, that's for sure.  However, it seemed to be every bit as smooth and dynamically balanced.  My dad preferred Olds and Buick; however, this basic Pontiac was the most reliable car he had ever owned.

And, isn't it nirvana to look at an old inline 6 and be able to touch every spark plug ... with nothing in the way?

Thanks, although the article is wrong about GM V8's all being assembled in Mexico. The GM Tonawanda powertrain plant in NY has been assembling the V8's for some time and they have the contract for the 2019 5.3L and 6.2L engines. It's a pretty high tech. plant too. 🇺🇸👍🏻 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/05/2019-silverado-v8-engines-gm-selects-tonawanda-plant-to-produce-5-3l-and-6-2l-mills/

Edited by USA-1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...