Drew Dowdell

Ford News: Ford Taking the Worry Out of EV Charging

When the Ford Mustang inspired EV SUV goes on sale sometime next year, one challenge it will have to overcome, no matter how good it looks, is charging anxiety by potential customers. 

Ford is offering an antidote, a way to take away to charging anxiety.  Ford is developing FordPass Charging Network, an easy way to pay as you drive to charge. The network includes more than 12,000 locations with over 35,000 plugs. The FordPass Charging Network is also in collaboration with Electrify America to provide DC Fast Charging.  On a 150-kW charger, drivers can add 47 miles of range in just 10 minutes, and fully charge their battery in the time it takes to have a sit down meal at Olive Garden. FordPass app will help guide drivers to an available charging station and allow for payments directly from the car's dashboard. Ford is offering two years of complimentary access to the FordPass Charging Network to all new Ford EV buyers.

For those who prefer to charge at home, Ford is offering Ford Connected Charging Stations, a higher powered charger than the standard 240-volt home charger, the Ford charger uses 48 amp service to recharge at a rate of 32 miles per hour rather than the 22 miles of range per hour the 240-volt home charger would provide.  Ford is partnering with Amazon Home Services to offer installations of either standard home chargers or the Ford Connected Charging Stations. Amazon will provide upfront pricing estimates and will allow customers to schedule a licensed and vetted electrician online. 

Ford is investing $11.5 billion in EV development through 2022.

View full article

35 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

in the time it takes to have a sit down meal at Olive Garden

I am just curious, how much is that in their calculation? 

Otherwise good news for EV vehicles

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

I am just curious, how much is that in their calculation? 

Otherwise good news for EV vehicles

"On a 150-kW charger, drivers can add 47 miles of range in just 10 minutes,"

Figure at least 45 minutes to eat in an olive garden... And the car is unlikely to be at 0% range.

Be interesting to see how Cities, counties and states address Fords 48 amp charger at what Voltage??? as my understanding and I do wish for anyone else with better electrical info to correct me, but my understanding is that a 30 amp 240V outlet is the max approved for home use. I have tried to search but finding no clear answer as some are saying you can go up to 60 amps which would exceed the cable rate of 240V.

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Be interesting to see how Cities, counties and states address Fords 48 amp charger at what Voltage??? as my understanding and I do wish for anyone else with better electrical info to correct me, but my understanding is that a 30 amp 240V outlet is the max approved for home use. I have tried to search but finding no clear answer as some are saying you can go up to 60 amps which would exceed the cable rate of 240V.

They apparently already make 48 amp 240 volt chargers and they have to be hardwired, they can't be a dryer outlet. 

https://amzn.to/2BqFn9b

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Pretty cool...wonder how long on a 110......

3 miles of range per hour.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

As dogsh!t slow as that is, it really wouldn't be an issue for me 99% of the time. Even if I use most of it on the weekend, I would slowly gain that back during the week. 

Although, I wouldn't actually want to rely on that. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As dogsh!t slow as that is, it really wouldn't be an issue for me 99% of the time. Even if I use most of it on the weekend, I would slowly gain that back during the week. 

Agreed, I think this is why Ford is smart in packaging their charger with the auto for home installation. This will help people make sure they have a somewhat speedy charging system always.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Even a dryer outlet would give you something like 22 miles in an hour. Overnight that would fully charge your vehicle. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, won't be able to plug it in my bedroom then....

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      After a lengthy strike at General Motors that cost the company $2.9 billion, the UAW has agreed to a contract with Ford that looks remarkably similar to the one they got with General Motors.  Ford workers ratified the deal on Friday with 56.3 percent voting yes to the new four year agreement.
      The agreement says that Ford will invest more than $6 billion in its U.S. plants and add or retain 8,500 UAW jobs. The UAW used the GM contract as a template for negotiations with Ford. Like the GM contract, there are no changes in healthcare coverage, there is a pathway to full-time employment for temporary workers, pay raises, and lump-sum payments spread over 4 years. 
      The UAW now will turn its attention on FCA where negotiations are due to begin on Monday.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      After a lengthy strike at General Motors that cost the company $2.9 billion, the UAW has agreed to a contract with Ford that looks remarkably similar to the one they got with General Motors.  Ford workers ratified the deal on Friday with 56.3 percent voting yes to the new four year agreement.
      The agreement says that Ford will invest more than $6 billion in its U.S. plants and add or retain 8,500 UAW jobs. The UAW used the GM contract as a template for negotiations with Ford. Like the GM contract, there are no changes in healthcare coverage, there is a pathway to full-time employment for temporary workers, pay raises, and lump-sum payments spread over 4 years. 
      The UAW now will turn its attention on FCA where negotiations are due to begin on Monday.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Leaks of privileged information happen.  In this case, Ford pushed these images and pages to their consumer website in a way which was easy for the folks at MachEForum to find. 
      Here are the basics, the best of each spec, the 2021 Ford Mach-E will have up to 300 miles of driving range, run 0-60 in mid-three second range, and have optional all-wheel drive.  You're going to prioritize those specs though because you won't be able to get them all in the same car.
      All models of Mach-E will be able to recharge 47 miles in 10 minute of DC fast charging in a 150-kw charger
      The base model is called Select and starts at $43,895. It is powered by a 255 horsepower, 306 lb.-ft of torque motor in the rear.  You can opt for all-wheel drive which increases torque to 429lb.ft. This model gets an EPA estimated range of 230 miles and a 0 to 60 sprint of mid 5-seconds. If you qualify for the full $7,500 federal tax credit, the price can be as low as $36,395. It's equipped with 18-inch wheels
      Next up is the Premium trim, starting at $50,600. This comes with 19-inch wheels and again in RWD or AWD configurations. EPA estimated range is 300 miles on the RWD model and 0 to 6- remains mid 5-seconds. 
      There will be a trim called California Route 1 which is an extended range rear-wheel drive model. It has an EPA range of 300 miles and a mid 6-second range sitting on 18-inch wheels.
      Then there is the top of the line GT, starting at $60,500. EPA range is estimated at 235 miles and a mid 3-second range. It comes standard with all-wheel drive. 
      For early adopters, there is a Mach-E First Edition. It offers three exterior colors, including and exclusive "Grabber Blue Metallic", interior contrast stitching, First Edition scuff plates, brushed aluminum pedals, and red brake calipers. This model seems to be a happy medium on range and performance with a 270 mile EPA estimated range, mid 5-second 0-60, AWD, and 19-inch wheels. 
      Inside the Mach-E is a large Telsa-like center screen though with a single physical dial at the bottom. A simple dash and slim gauge cluster sit behind a 3-spoke wheel badged with the Mustang logo. 
      Ford will officially share more information on Sunday night, and the specs listed above are subject to change. We'll keep you updated as more information comes out. In the meantime, scroll down to see all of the information grabbed in the screenshots.

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

I think the haters have to get over it and step into the reality of 2019 and the future. This is the next addition to the #Mustang family. The fact that it is an EV makes it even more interesting. I think it will sell well (for an EV) and do better than the Tesla Model X since it is significantly cheaper but still gets up to 300 miles range.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

I could get comfortable in the back of the G90, the back seat is fabulous. What do you think of the new @genesis_usa flagship?
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The @Hyundai party with Brett Michael's.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

And here its is, the most controversial car in the #laautoshow, the #Mustang #MachE. I think they did a good job with it, and if they're going to make a whole family of Mustangs, this is a very good start.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

The second most controversial car at the #LAAutoShow. #corvette #c8
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook