Drew Dowdell

Chrysler News: FCA and PSA are in Merger Talks

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Its not like platforms are weak, or lacking crash performance design, or ride poorly (platform is a strictly minor factor in that), or are still using decades-old suspension, or ANYTHING like that. And the other issue is that the SOP here is a ‘clean sheet’ redesign. All that says is the previous one they advertised & sold for years is garbage.

We’re way past the need for completely new platforms for the same brand/ model.

When a midsize car weighs 4,380 lbs. like the 2019 300 it's time to replace or heavily update, that's a tank in today's standards. https://g.co/kgs/8Brhaj

The fullsize 2019 CT6 weighs at most 4,470 lbs. in loaded AWD Blackwing V8 form. https://g.co/kgs/ifidiZ

That's latest tech. to old tech. platform design.

The 300 is a full size.  The wheelbase is only a couple inches shorter than the CT6.  It just has shorter overhangs.   In fact, the wheelbase is about 9 inches longer than the full size Impala.  The weight is fine.    

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Robert Hall said:

The 300 is a full size.  The wheelbase is only a couple inches shorter than the CT6.  It just has shorter overhangs. The weight is fine.  

It's considered midsize, see link above. Nowhere near the size or room inside of a CT6, I've driven both.

Just now, USA-1 said:

It's considered midsize, see link above. Nowhere near the size or room inside of a CT6, I've driven both.

Never seen it referred to as a midsize.   Always seen it classified as full size. 

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Never seen it referred to as a midsize.   Always seen it classified as full size. 

Think it's a tweener, but technically a midsize. Definitely smaller than a CT6 fullsize.

300 wheelbase : 120", overall length : 199"
CT6 wheelbase : 122", overall length : 205"
Certainly close enough to appeal to the same shoppers.
I don't remotely care what the Environmental Protection Agency arbitrarily classifies their respective interior cubic space as.

39 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The 300 is a full size.  The wheelbase is only a couple inches shorter than the CT6.  It just has shorter overhangs.   In fact, the wheelbase is about 9 inches longer than the full size Impala.  The weight is fine.    

Can't compare FWD wheelbase to RWD wheelbase cars. Always shorter in FWD form with the transaxle being pushed back near qtr. panel/door gap.  

29 minutes ago, balthazar said:

300 wheelbase : 120", overall length : 199"
CT6 wheelbase : 122", overall length : 205"
Certainly close enough to appeal to the same shoppers.
I don't remotely care what the Environmental Protection Agency arbitrarily classifies their respective interior cubic space as.

Me neither, but this isn't the EPA stating the class of car it's all the automotive experts. https://g.co/kgs/8Brhaj

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

Can't compare FWD wheelbase to RWD wheelbase cars. Always shorter in FWD form with the transaxle being pushed back near qtr. panel/door gap.  

What are you talking about? Both the CT6 and 300 are RWD. 

If you look under the specs tab on this page, you'll see the EPA classifies the 300 as a "Large Car".  It's not mid-size.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40610

The CT6 uses exceptionally expensive lightweight tech in order to achieve that weight.  It weighs less than an AWD 3-series... are you saying the 3-series is out of date too?  The CT6 (like the Avalon) is an anomaly on the weight scale, you can't really judge the whole class based on the CT6 alone.  Most of the 300's direct competition is right around the same weight give or take 100 lbs. 

• Upvote 1

The FWD was in reference to the Impala, which is also a full size model, but with a rather short wheelbase.  (XTS has the wheelbase IIRC)

Edited by Robert Hall

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you look under the specs tab on this page, you'll see the EPA classifies the 300 as a "Large Car".  It's not mid-size.

The CT6 uses exceptionally expensive lightweight tech in order to achieve that weight.  It weighs less than an AWD 3-series... are you saying the 3-series is out of date too?  The CT6 (like the Avalon) is an anomaly on the weight scale, you can't really judge the whole class based on the CT6 alone.  Most of the 300's direct competition is right around the same weight give or take 100 lbs. 

Did you see where Robert compared the fullsize Impala which is FWD? That's what I'm talking about. 

"In fact, the wheelbase is about 9 inches longer than the full size Impala." 

Edited 2 hours ago by Robert Hall

Exactly, current high tech. with high strength steel, aluminum, magnesium and other light weight metals to cut weight and increase mpg's. 3 Series isn't even the same class and you know that. I'm talking about the same class of cars. Also, the 3 Series is huge for it's class now, not the E36 3 Series of yore. 
8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The FWD was in reference to the Impala, which is also a full size model, but with a rather short wheelbase.  (XTS has the wheelbase IIRC)

Yep, same wheelbase and platform for Impala, LaCrosse and XTS.

Right, but they aren't going to spend that money on a car that retails for $29,995 base.  In order to get the CT6 tech, it's gotta be priced high.  Not even the CT4 and CT5 have the weight saving tech. 

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So a "Large Car" is between midsize and fullsize then? Like I stated earlier it's a tweener. I never said it wasn't a large car, but it's not as large or roomy as the CT6. CT6 is definitely on a whole nother level and a much better car.

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

So a "Large Car" is between midsize and fullsize then? Like I stated earlier it's a tweener. I never said it wasn't a large car, but it's not as large or roomy as the CT6.

Large car is synonymous with full size,  the 300 is  a full size that is smaller than the CT6...there are variations within the full size category, always have been...just like in olden days how a GM C-body was bigger inside and out than a B-body.   Both were full size platforms.

And I wasn't comparing the 300 w/ the CT6 in terms of price or content;  just that they are both full size sedans, as is the Taurus, Merc S-class, Impala, LaCrosse, XTS, Avalon, 7-series, etc...all different price points and content levels and dimensions...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

So a "Large Car" is between midsize and fullsize then? Like I stated earlier it's a tweener. I never said it wasn't a large car, but it's not as large or roomy as the CT6. CT6 is definitely on a whole nother level and a much better car.

Large car is Full size. I'm not saying it is as big as a CT6, but the CT6 is just a larger full size car. 

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Large car is synonymous with full size,  the 300 is  a full size that is smaller than the CT6...there are variations within the full size category, always have been...just like in olden days how a GM C-body was bigger inside and out than a B-body.   Both were full size. 

I was talking on a technical basis. Go to the rental counter they will completely confuse people on the size of cars and what they think is a compact, midsize or fullsize.

Edited by USA-1

1 minute ago, USA-1 said:

I was talking on a technical basis. Go to the rental counter they will completely confuse people on the size of cars and what they think is a compact, midsize or fullsize haha.

Rental car companies use invalid size categorizations. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Large car is Full size. I'm not saying it is as big as a CT6, but the CT6 is just a larger full size car. 

I was being facetious, you just can't hear me lol. I know that all fullsize cars aren't exactly the same size, just like fullsize trucks dimensions are slightly different. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Rental car companies use invalid size categorizations. 

I know, it's so annoying when you know they're wrong and want to tell them that a Chevy Malibu is not a fullsize car haha.

4 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

I was being facetious, you just can't hear me lol. I know that all fullsize cars aren't exactly the same size, just like fullsize trucks dimensions are slightly different. 

I know, it's so annoying when you know they're wrong and want to tell them that a Chevy Malibu is not a fullsize car haha.

I always find it irritating w/ rental car companies that I have to specify a 'premium' or 'standard' size to get an actual full size car.   Though on more than one occasion they didn't have a full size car in stock and I've ended up with a Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade...  though I don't mind those.  

Edited by Robert Hall

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I always find it irritating w/ rental car companies that I have to get a 'premium' or 'standard' size to get an actual full size car.   Though on more than one occasion they didn't have a full size car in stock and I've ended up with a Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade...

Yep, that's why I like National Emerald Isle just pick one that's big enough whether a fullsize SUV/CUV or Large Premium car and go.

Just now, USA-1 said:

Yep, that's why I like National Emerald Isle just pick one that's big enough whether a fullsize SUV/CUV or Large Premium car and go.

Yeah, much the same as Hertz #1 Club Gold.. I just reserve by category and pick one from the row..   

I'm a National guy myself.  Been Executive Elite with them for years... I can pick almost anything on the lot. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm a National guy myself.  Been Executive Elite with them for years... I can pick almost anything on the lot. 

National rocks :cheers:

I've stuck w/ Hertz the last 5 years or so...used to use Enterprise when I lived in Phoenix, had an Enterprise location about a mile from my house, used to rent from them for long weekends to drive over to So Cal to escape the vile summer heat...

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I've stuck w/ Hertz the last 5 years or so...used to use Enterprise when I lived in Phoenix, had an Enterprise location about a mile from my house, used to rent from them for long weekends to drive over to So Cal to escape the vile summer heat...

Our Summers make you a real man 💪🏻😐 😎 It's a dry heat just turn the AC up for July and Aug. the only brutal months really. Pretty nice today it was 70 today 50 for low. Fall is awesome here. Really hard to beat AZ weather 9 - 10 mos. out of the year, you know that.   

So. Cal for an escape from the heat? There are times they are just as hot as The Valley especially this last Summer. I travel there often for work.