Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

PSA CEO says No Brands Let Go

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Now, the way you are defending Chevy, I KNOW you know it to be true.

 

Not defending just stating facts that you missed or weren't aware of.

Apparently you missed the part where I stated that Honda's are reliable?

If I was just defending Chevy or GM biased why would I talk about Honda's like that or state that I like other cars like Alfa Giulia's, Aston's or Ferrari's?

Rattle on ya old Canuck! 😜

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not old.  BUT... someone should put something in his mouth.  🤠  KIDDING, don't trigger on me!

I don't care about the Euro brands in the new conglomerate, although I am not anti-Peugeot, per se.  They used to have a decent diesel car back in the day here in America.

 

Since my blood is red, I want to see Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge continue on and on and on.  If Dodge/Ram had a smaller truck, I would have looked at it intensely before making a recent decision.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not anti-French cars per se either.

If I lived in Europe (Greece), Id probably consider a French car.  But most probably a Suzuki or a Honda product (as a Canadian moving to Greece to live). But if I was born in Greece and lived there all my life, Id probably be like most Greeks and buy German....

Im excited for this merger,  only because Im fed up of having the Germans phoque over Chryco and now the Italians.

Im excited to maybe see the French  might do justice to Chrysler and Dodge. We will see I guess.  I had high hopes for the Fiat group, especially when Sergio gave the greenlight to start up the Viper program after it was canceled due to the bankruptcy but it was all for nothing.

I dont mean the Viper going away again. I understand that monies were needed elsewhere other than a very niche and boutique, hand made sports car.  But I didn't expect for all the monies to go to dead man walking brands either only to skin Chrysler alive and barely give Dodge anything.  They stripped Dodge of the Ram too.  Good move?  Well it did not hurt Ram sales at all. And it didnt hurt Dodge either for the short term. Maybe its because we all know that even if Ram is its own brand, its still Dodge...

I dont think PSA is hurting as much as Fiat was. Maybe that is a good thing for Chryco going forward.

But like DeLorenzo says. Its a GIANT "we will see".  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

He's not old.  BUT... someone should put something in his mouth.  🤠  KIDDING, don't trigger on me!

I don't care about the Euro brands in the new conglomerate, although I am not anti-Peugeot, per se.  They used to have a decent diesel car back in the day here in America.

 

Since my blood is red, I want to see Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge continue on and on and on.  If Dodge/Ram had a smaller truck, I would have looked at it intensely before making a recent decision.

He's older than me by 3 years so I had to jab him with that! 😂

I remember those stodgy Peugeot diesels with that saggy back end and a constant black cloud behind them! Ha! Pretty ugly car, but the diesel never stopped running.  

Ram needs a baby Ram with proper dimensions. The Jeep Gladiator with the funky look of the bed hanging way too far past the back axle and the $50k+ price tag just isn't gonna cut it.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Ram needs a baby Ram with proper dimensions. The Jeep Gladiator with the funky look of the bed hanging way too far past the back axle and the $50k+ price tag just isn't gonna cut it.

plus one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

plus one

Ill give  the plus one. 

PS:  Practically the ONLY SUV I ever want to own is the original SUV. The Wrangler.  But I must say, the Wrangler pick-up absolutely does NOTHING for me.

Maybe you say to me that its because I do not like pick-up trucks either to which Ill tell you nah, that is not it.  The Wrangler pick-up is just....too funky for me. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is way too expensive for what you get... the bed is too small to be useful, which makes it pointless as a truck.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pick-up should have a usable bed.  Maybe Jeep should have made it something like an Avalanche? Or does GM still have a trademark on that mechanism?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

A pick-up should have a usable bed.  Maybe Jeep should have made it something like an Avalanche? Or does GM still have a trademark on that mechanism?   

The mid gate that the Avalanche (and the Escalade EXT) had was a really good idea.  I also thought that QuadraSteer on the GMC Sierra was a great idea too about ten years ago.  Too bad both ideas died due to lack of interest and sales.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The mid gate that the Avalanche (and the Escalade EXT) had was a really good idea.  I also thought that QuadraSteer on the GMC Sierra was a great idea too about ten years ago.  Too bad both ideas died due to lack of interest and sales.

GM has been a victim of its own innovative ideas for decades.  A lot of times, when they put something out there that seems like a good idea (to GM, in its insular world) at the time, it falls flat.  This next big push on the horizon will end with the same result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The mid gate that the Avalanche (and the Escalade EXT) had was a really good idea.  I also thought that QuadraSteer on the GMC Sierra was a great idea too about ten years ago.  Too bad both ideas died due to lack of interest and sales.

Great technology, but sadly GM like always failed to market it and show the benefits that would justify the cost. Anyone who has driven one of the GMC trucks with Quadra steer knows how easy it is to park those awesome rides.

Management stupidity for killing off the Avalanche / Escalade EXT. 🙄

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Great technology, but sadly GM like always failed to market it and show the benefits that would justify the cost. Anyone who has driven one of the GMC trucks with Quadra steer knows how easy it is to park those awesome rides.

Management stupidity for killing off the Avalanche / Escalade EXT. 🙄

It should be noted that Honda had four wheel steering years before GM. (1987 Prelude which I got to drive right after I got my license in '89 and it was a fun little ride)

 

And I agree whole heartedly with the last part. Loved the last gen. Avalanche. Sadly, sales of them probably didn't justify the need to continue producing them.

Edited by surreal1272

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Great technology, but sadly GM like always failed to market it and show the benefits that would justify the cost. Anyone who has driven one of the GMC trucks with Quadra steer knows how easy it is to park those awesome rides.

Management stupidity for killing off the Avalanche / Escalade EXT. 🙄

Quadrasteer on the Sierra was awesome, a buddy of mine had one. It was a pretty cool feeling the way the back-end of the truck kind of had a sliding around effect behind you instead of just trailing and the smaller turning radius made it drive like a midsize truck. It was a pretty expensive option and like you stated was never marketed correctly. I wonder how many are actually out there, I still see them with the slightly bulged rear fenders every once in a while. 

Same thing with the Volt/ELR. They could have had great marketing on them, but never did. Voltec should have started with the expensive but not so expensive ELR then came out with the less expensive 4 door cousin, the Volt a few years later, but the bean counters thought different and were wrong again. The ELR had great fit and finish and was beautiful inside and out, the interior with leather wrapped everything, real wood and real carbon fiber was awesome and blew away the Model S in that regard. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the Voltec platform just to kill it 8 years later. I'm sure a version of it will be back at some point, but who knows. Bean counters at GM be damned! 

Edited by USA-1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

GM has been a victim of its own innovative ideas for decades.  A lot of times, when they put something out there that seems like a good idea (to GM, in its insular world) at the time, it falls flat.  This next big push on the horizon will end with the same result.

And which "big push" is that? Are they trying to push diesels again?🤣

2 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Quadrasteer on the Sierra was awesome, a buddy of mine had one. It was a pretty cool feeling the way the back-end of the truck kind of had a sliding around effect behind you instead of just trailing and the smaller turning radius made it drive like a midsize truck. It was a pretty expensive option and like you stated was never marketed correctly. I wonder how many are actually out there, I still see them with the slightly bulged rear fenders every once in a while. 

Same thing with the Volt/ELR. They could have had great marketing on them, but never did. Voltec should have started with the expensive ELR then came out with the less expensive 4 door cousin, the Volt a few years later, but the bean counters thought different and were wrong again. The ELR had great fit and finish and was beautiful inside and out, the interior with leather wrapped everything, real wood and real carbon fiber was awesome and blew away the Model S in that regard. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the Voltec platform just to kill it 8 years later. I'm sure a version of it will be back at some point, but who knows. Bean counters at GM be damned! 

The ELR was sharp looking ride but it was priced way too high and at a time when people stopped buying two door cars. Bad timing and piss poor pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It should be noted that Honda had four wheel steering years before GM. (1987 Prelude which I got to drive right after I got my license in '89 and it was a fun little ride)

 

And I agree whole heartedly with the last part. Loved the last gen. Avalanche. Sadly, sales of them probably didn't justify the need to continue producing them.

Yes Honda had it on a tiny little car. GM did it on a Full size truck that could HAUL and the quadrasteer was awesome for trailering. It made it so much easier to backup and turn around when you had a trailer, the longer the easier it became.

I question the sales comment as the last year they still sold very well yet not in the large numbers of the rest of the trucks. I think a business case could still have been made to make a Chevy and Cadillac version of a truck like this.

image.png

image.png

@USA-1 I agree with you that the ELR was what GM should have done first at Cadillac but at around a $55,000 to $60,000 price and then roll out the VOLT at Chevrolet.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Avalanche sales tanked like that because they got so expensive.  Still, a GMC Avalanche offered only in SLT and Denali trims would would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yes Honda had it on a tiny little car. GM did it on a Full size truck that could HAUL and the quadrasteer was awesome for trailering. It made it so much easier to backup and turn around when you had a trailer, the longer the easier it became.

I question the sales comment as the last year they still sold very well yet not in the large numbers of the rest of the trucks. I think a business case could still have been made to make a Chevy and Cadillac version of a truck like this.

image.png

image.png

@USA-1 I agree with you that the ELR was what GM should have done first at Cadillac but at around a $55,000 to $60,000 price and then roll out the VOLT at Chevrolet.

Look at the first few years versus the last few years. Again, I’m not disagreeing with the notion that they could have kept selling them but when you look at that sales history you posted, it’s easy to see why the bean counters said “no”. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Avalanche sales tanked like that because they got so expensive.  Still, a GMC Avalanche offered only in SLT and Denali trims would would. 

Tahoe’s and Silverados got more expansive too but they keep selling. Still a shame they gave it the ax though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Look at the first few years versus the last few years. Again, I’m not disagreeing with the notion that they could have kept selling them but when you look at that sales history you posted, it’s easy to see why the bean counters said “no”. 

Tahoe’s and Silverados got more expansive too but they keep selling. Still a shame they gave it the ax though. 

Everything went up of course...but Avalanche, suburban, and Tahoe jumped about $10k in a single model year change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      The United Auto Workers membership has ratified the new four-year agreement with FCA.  The agreement covers 47,000 employees at FCA's manufacturing facilities and parts distribution centers. FCA will expand manufacturing in the US including a new assembly line in Detroit that will produce two new Jeep models as well as the next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee as well a some electrified models.
      The four year contract includes:
      Signing bonus of $9,000 for full-time employees, $3,500 for temporary workers. Full-time workers can now reach the top pay bracket in four years rather than the current eight. FCA will create 7,900 jobs through 2023 which includes the 6,500 jobs already announced for a new plant in Detroit. $9 Billion in U.S. manufacturing investments. Dissolution of the jointly-run National Training Center, the focal point of a federal corruption investigation. An increase in profit sharing from $800 per percent of N.A. profit margin to $900 per percent. "In-progression" employees will now get the same healthcare as senior hourly employees.
      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The United Auto Workers membership has ratified the new four-year agreement with FCA.  The agreement covers 47,000 employees at FCA's manufacturing facilities and parts distribution centers. FCA will expand manufacturing in the US including a new assembly line in Detroit that will produce two new Jeep models as well as the next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee as well a some electrified models.
      The four year contract includes:
      Signing bonus of $9,000 for full-time employees, $3,500 for temporary workers. Full-time workers can now reach the top pay bracket in four years rather than the current eight. FCA will create 7,900 jobs through 2023 which includes the 6,500 jobs already announced for a new plant in Detroit. $9 Billion in U.S. manufacturing investments. Dissolution of the jointly-run National Training Center, the focal point of a federal corruption investigation. An increase in profit sharing from $800 per percent of N.A. profit margin to $900 per percent. "In-progression" employees will now get the same healthcare as senior hourly employees.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Details emerged Wednesday of the labor agreement between the United Auto Workers and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.  The overall contract is similar to the one agreed to by Ford last month.
      The four year contract includes:
      Signing bonus of $9,000 for full-time employees, $3,500 for temporary workers. Full-time workers can now reach the top pay bracket in four years rather than the current eight. FCA will create 7,900 jobs through 2023 which includes the 6,500 jobs already announced for a new plant in Detroit. $9 Billion in U.S. manufacturing investments. Dissolution of the jointly-run National Training Center, the focal point of a federal corruption investigation. An increase in profit sharing from $800 per percent of N.A. profit margin to $900 per percent. "In-progression" employees will now get the same healthcare as senior hourly employees. FCA will also offer $60,000 retirement packages to eligable workers in Belvidere Assembly, Marysville Axle, Mount Elliot, and a parts-distribution center in Wisconsin. UAW leaders from the various plants are meeting in Detroit to review the deal and decide whether to send it to the rank-and-file membership as a whole for ratification. If approved for voting, it will likely start on Friday and take a week to complete. 
      FCA is the final of the domestic auto manufacturers to complete their deal with the UAW.

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Details emerged Wednesday of the labor agreement between the United Auto Workers and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.  The overall contract is similar to the one agreed to by Ford last month.
      The four year contract includes:
      Signing bonus of $9,000 for full-time employees, $3,500 for temporary workers. Full-time workers can now reach the top pay bracket in four years rather than the current eight. FCA will create 7,900 jobs through 2023 which includes the 6,500 jobs already announced for a new plant in Detroit. $9 Billion in U.S. manufacturing investments. Dissolution of the jointly-run National Training Center, the focal point of a federal corruption investigation. An increase in profit sharing from $800 per percent of N.A. profit margin to $900 per percent. "In-progression" employees will now get the same healthcare as senior hourly employees. FCA will also offer $60,000 retirement packages to eligable workers in Belvidere Assembly, Marysville Axle, Mount Elliot, and a parts-distribution center in Wisconsin. UAW leaders from the various plants are meeting in Detroit to review the deal and decide whether to send it to the rank-and-file membership as a whole for ratification. If approved for voting, it will likely start on Friday and take a week to complete. 
      FCA is the final of the domestic auto manufacturers to complete their deal with the UAW.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The United Auto Workers and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles have reached a tentative labor agreement for a four-year contract the union and FCA said today.
      While details were not provided, the main framework of the deal is expected to mirror that of the deals made with Ford Motor Company and General Motors.   Those deals include signing bonuses of at least $9,000, no changes for healthcare, and a clearer way forward for temporary employees to become permanent status. 
      On December 4th, a council of the heads of UAW locals will meet and review the agreement and must approve it prior to sending it to members to ratify. 
      Some media reports say that negotiators secured promises of another $4.5 billion in investments on top of the previous $4.5 billion to open a new assembly plant in Detroit. Other facilities in Southeast Michigan would receive upgrades.   Further, the company has promised not to close any plants, and will allocate a new product to an Illinois assembly plant. 
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...