Drew Dowdell

PSA CEO says No Brands Let Go

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Now, the way you are defending Chevy, I KNOW you know it to be true.

Not defending just stating facts that you missed or weren't aware of.

Apparently you missed the part where I stated that Honda's are reliable?

If I was just defending Chevy or GM biased why would I talk about Honda's like that or state that I like other cars like Alfa Giulia's, Aston's or Ferrari's?

Rattle on ya old Canuck! 😜

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

He's not old.  BUT... someone should put something in his mouth.  🤠  KIDDING, don't trigger on me!

I don't care about the Euro brands in the new conglomerate, although I am not anti-Peugeot, per se.  They used to have a decent diesel car back in the day here in America.

Since my blood is red, I want to see Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge continue on and on and on.  If Dodge/Ram had a smaller truck, I would have looked at it intensely before making a recent decision.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 3

Im not anti-French cars per se either.

If I lived in Europe (Greece), Id probably consider a French car.  But most probably a Suzuki or a Honda product (as a Canadian moving to Greece to live). But if I was born in Greece and lived there all my life, Id probably be like most Greeks and buy German....

Im excited for this merger,  only because Im fed up of having the Germans phoque over Chryco and now the Italians.

Im excited to maybe see the French  might do justice to Chrysler and Dodge. We will see I guess.  I had high hopes for the Fiat group, especially when Sergio gave the greenlight to start up the Viper program after it was canceled due to the bankruptcy but it was all for nothing.

I dont mean the Viper going away again. I understand that monies were needed elsewhere other than a very niche and boutique, hand made sports car.  But I didn't expect for all the monies to go to dead man walking brands either only to skin Chrysler alive and barely give Dodge anything.  They stripped Dodge of the Ram too.  Good move?  Well it did not hurt Ram sales at all. And it didnt hurt Dodge either for the short term. Maybe its because we all know that even if Ram is its own brand, its still Dodge...

I dont think PSA is hurting as much as Fiat was. Maybe that is a good thing for Chryco going forward.

But like DeLorenzo says. Its a GIANT "we will see".  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

He's not old.  BUT... someone should put something in his mouth.  🤠  KIDDING, don't trigger on me!

I don't care about the Euro brands in the new conglomerate, although I am not anti-Peugeot, per se.  They used to have a decent diesel car back in the day here in America.

Since my blood is red, I want to see Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge continue on and on and on.  If Dodge/Ram had a smaller truck, I would have looked at it intensely before making a recent decision.

He's older than me by 3 years so I had to jab him with that! 😂

I remember those stodgy Peugeot diesels with that saggy back end and a constant black cloud behind them! Ha! Pretty ugly car, but the diesel never stopped running.  

Ram needs a baby Ram with proper dimensions. The Jeep Gladiator with the funky look of the bed hanging way too far past the back axle and the $50k+ price tag just isn't gonna cut it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Ram needs a baby Ram with proper dimensions. The Jeep Gladiator with the funky look of the bed hanging way too far past the back axle and the $50k+ price tag just isn't gonna cut it.

plus one

8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

plus one

Ill give  the plus one. 

PS:  Practically the ONLY SUV I ever want to own is the original SUV. The Wrangler.  But I must say, the Wrangler pick-up absolutely does NOTHING for me.

Maybe you say to me that its because I do not like pick-up trucks either to which Ill tell you nah, that is not it.  The Wrangler pick-up is just....too funky for me. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

It is way too expensive for what you get... the bed is too small to be useful, which makes it pointless as a truck.

• Upvote 2

A pick-up should have a usable bed.  Maybe Jeep should have made it something like an Avalanche? Or does GM still have a trademark on that mechanism?   

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

A pick-up should have a usable bed.  Maybe Jeep should have made it something like an Avalanche? Or does GM still have a trademark on that mechanism?   

The mid gate that the Avalanche (and the Escalade EXT) had was a really good idea.  I also thought that QuadraSteer on the GMC Sierra was a great idea too about ten years ago.  Too bad both ideas died due to lack of interest and sales.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The mid gate that the Avalanche (and the Escalade EXT) had was a really good idea.  I also thought that QuadraSteer on the GMC Sierra was a great idea too about ten years ago.  Too bad both ideas died due to lack of interest and sales.

GM has been a victim of its own innovative ideas for decades.  A lot of times, when they put something out there that seems like a good idea (to GM, in its insular world) at the time, it falls flat.  This next big push on the horizon will end with the same result.

13 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Great technology, but sadly GM like always failed to market it and show the benefits that would justify the cost. Anyone who has driven one of the GMC trucks with Quadra steer knows how easy it is to park those awesome rides.

Management stupidity for killing off the Avalanche / Escalade EXT. 🙄

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Great technology, but sadly GM like always failed to market it and show the benefits that would justify the cost. Anyone who has driven one of the GMC trucks with Quadra steer knows how easy it is to park those awesome rides.

It should be noted that Honda had four wheel steering years before GM. (1987 Prelude which I got to drive right after I got my license in '89 and it was a fun little ride)

And I agree whole heartedly with the last part. Loved the last gen. Avalanche. Sadly, sales of them probably didn't justify the need to continue producing them.

Edited by surreal1272

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Quadrasteer on the Sierra was awesome, a buddy of mine had one. It was a pretty cool feeling the way the back-end of the truck kind of had a sliding around effect behind you instead of just trailing and the smaller turning radius made it drive like a midsize truck. It was a pretty expensive option and like you stated was never marketed correctly. I wonder how many are actually out there, I still see them with the slightly bulged rear fenders every once in a while. 

Same thing with the Volt/ELR. They could have had great marketing on them, but never did. Voltec should have started with the expensive but not so expensive ELR then came out with the less expensive 4 door cousin, the Volt a few years later, but the bean counters thought different and were wrong again. The ELR had great fit and finish and was beautiful inside and out, the interior with leather wrapped everything, real wood and real carbon fiber was awesome and blew away the Model S in that regard. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the Voltec platform just to kill it 8 years later. I'm sure a version of it will be back at some point, but who knows. Bean counters at GM be damned! 

Edited by USA-1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

GM has been a victim of its own innovative ideas for decades.  A lot of times, when they put something out there that seems like a good idea (to GM, in its insular world) at the time, it falls flat.  This next big push on the horizon will end with the same result.

And which "big push" is that? Are they trying to push diesels again?🤣

2 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Quadrasteer on the Sierra was awesome, a buddy of mine had one. It was a pretty cool feeling the way the back-end of the truck kind of had a sliding around effect behind you instead of just trailing and the smaller turning radius made it drive like a midsize truck. It was a pretty expensive option and like you stated was never marketed correctly. I wonder how many are actually out there, I still see them with the slightly bulged rear fenders every once in a while. 

Same thing with the Volt/ELR. They could have had great marketing on them, but never did. Voltec should have started with the expensive ELR then came out with the less expensive 4 door cousin, the Volt a few years later, but the bean counters thought different and were wrong again. The ELR had great fit and finish and was beautiful inside and out, the interior with leather wrapped everything, real wood and real carbon fiber was awesome and blew away the Model S in that regard. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the Voltec platform just to kill it 8 years later. I'm sure a version of it will be back at some point, but who knows. Bean counters at GM be damned! 

The ELR was sharp looking ride but it was priced way too high and at a time when people stopped buying two door cars. Bad timing and piss poor pricing.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It should be noted that Honda had four wheel steering years before GM. (1987 Prelude which I got to drive right after I got my license in '89 and it was a fun little ride)

And I agree whole heartedly with the last part. Loved the last gen. Avalanche. Sadly, sales of them probably didn't justify the need to continue producing them.

Yes Honda had it on a tiny little car. GM did it on a Full size truck that could HAUL and the quadrasteer was awesome for trailering. It made it so much easier to backup and turn around when you had a trailer, the longer the easier it became.

I question the sales comment as the last year they still sold very well yet not in the large numbers of the rest of the trucks. I think a business case could still have been made to make a Chevy and Cadillac version of a truck like this.

image.png

image.png

@USA-1 I agree with you that the ELR was what GM should have done first at Cadillac but at around a $55,000 to $60,000 price and then roll out the VOLT at Chevrolet.

• Thanks 2

The Avalanche sales tanked like that because they got so expensive.  Still, a GMC Avalanche offered only in SLT and Denali trims would would. 

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yes Honda had it on a tiny little car. GM did it on a Full size truck that could HAUL and the quadrasteer was awesome for trailering. It made it so much easier to backup and turn around when you had a trailer, the longer the easier it became.

I question the sales comment as the last year they still sold very well yet not in the large numbers of the rest of the trucks. I think a business case could still have been made to make a Chevy and Cadillac version of a truck like this.

image.png

image.png

@USA-1 I agree with you that the ELR was what GM should have done first at Cadillac but at around a $55,000 to $60,000 price and then roll out the VOLT at Chevrolet.

Look at the first few years versus the last few years. Again, I’m not disagreeing with the notion that they could have kept selling them but when you look at that sales history you posted, it’s easy to see why the bean counters said “no”. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Avalanche sales tanked like that because they got so expensive.  Still, a GMC Avalanche offered only in SLT and Denali trims would would. 

Tahoe’s and Silverados got more expansive too but they keep selling. Still a shame they gave it the ax though. 

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Look at the first few years versus the last few years. Again, I’m not disagreeing with the notion that they could have kept selling them but when you look at that sales history you posted, it’s easy to see why the bean counters said “no”. 

Tahoe’s and Silverados got more expansive too but they keep selling. Still a shame they gave it the ax though. 

Everything went up of course...but Avalanche, suburban, and Tahoe jumped about $10k in a single model year change.