NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1982 Ford Granada vs Chevy Celebrity comparison video

The Ford dude says that Celebrity seats 5...

Sure. With the buckets. But Celebrity did come with a bench seat. It sat 6 with the bench seat.

OK...the person that sat in the middle was probably dead if the car had to decelerate abruptly either by sudden stop via hitting an object or just by even braking hard, but still. (The head of the person felt to be was soooooo close to the windshield it aint even funny...and yes, that person WOULD hit the windshied as the "middle" seat had no 3-point belt harness, just a lap belt.)

Another selling point over the Celebrity is the choice of a manual transmission that the Celebrity does not offer.

Who in their right mind cares to shift his own gears in a god awful, 86 horsepower (the Celebrity had 90 LOL...going by memory) 2.3 liter 4 cylinder?

0-60 in 14 and a half seconds.   That is not the quartertmile time folks....THAT is 0-60...  ( I googled)

Theoretical top speed of 96 MPH?   And we laugh at the Delorean???!!!

Comparing mediocrity is right, Drew!!!

I just had to laugh and point out the idiocy of that Ford promo vid...

PS:   I get the sign of the times...I was alive and aware of it. My dad bought a 2.5 Iron Duke 1986 Celebrity. I drove it when I got my license and I totaled it.   

Edited by oldshurst442

Yup!  No joke either.

My dad had bought a 1979 Impala, new in 1979. By 1986, the undercarriage was rot with rust so it was time for a new car. 

We was close my dad and I,  and I had chosen the Impala when he bought it, so he made me choose this next one too. But I chose a 2.8 V6 Eurosport. Dark Grey.  So that is what we (he) bought.  However, when the car was to be delivered, I was in school and my dear old mom, God Rest Her Soul, (I miss her dearly) went to pick up the car with him. 

There was the car. All $18 000 dollars CDN of her.  There was a base stripper model, AM radio only, with two front speakers, on the dash, bench seat, dark grey 2.5 Iron Duke, plain Celebrity on the show room floor.  Now, she might have not been a car gal herself, and she did not know what in the hell my dad bought, but she could see that the 18 000 dollar Eurosport was the same damned car as the 14 000 dollar show room floor model. (4000 bucks WAS quite the price difference then though to be fair.) 

She couldnt understand why that much dollar difference so she made the sales person and my dad tear up the old contract and start a new one for the plain Jane Celebrity.  Now,  not that I was all excited for a Celebrity Eurosport,  but I knew I wanted to have the 6 cylinder and the blacked out grill and red pinstripe across the body and Eurosport badging. So by the time I got my licence in the Spring of 1990, I had a feeling the 2.5 was a dog and then I experienced it. I knew that the V6 was not a muscle car, but I knew that it had more giddy up...

So I never respected the car until I nearly killed myself in it in March of 1994. 

Ironically, I  bought a friends 1989 2.8 V6 Firebird  in the summer of 1993. I totaled that car in January of 1994. Nearly killed myself in  that accident too.  

Edited by oldshurst442

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yup!  No joke either.

My dad had bought a 1979 Impala, new in 1979. By 1986, the undercarriage was rot with rust so it was time for a new car. 

We was close my dad and I,  and I had chosen the Impala when he bought it, so he made me choose this next one too. But I chose a 2.8 V6 Eurosport. Dark Grey.  So that is what we (he) bought.  However, when the car was to be delivered, I was in school and my dear old mom, God Rest Her Soul, (I miss her dearly) went to pick up the car with him. 

There was the car. All $18 000 dollars CDN of her.  There was a base stripper model, AM radio only, with two front speakers, on the dash, bench seat, dark grey 2.5 Iron Duke, plain Celebrity on the show room floor.  Now, she might have not been a car gal herself, and she did not know what in the hell my dad bought, but she could see that the 18 000 dollar Eurosport was the same damned car as the 14 000 dollar show room floor model. (4000 bucks WAS quite the price difference then though to be fair.) 

She couldnt understand why that much dollar difference so she made the sales person and my dad tear up the old contract and start a new one for the plain Jane Celebrity.  Now,  not that I was all excited for a Celebrity Eurosport,  but I knew I wanted to have the 6 cylinder and the blacked out grill and red pinstripe across the body and Eurosport badging. So by the time I got my licence in the Spring of 1990, I had a feeling the 2.5 was a dog and then I experienced it. I knew that the V6 was not a muscle car, but I knew that it had more giddy up...

So I never respected the car until I nearly killed myself in it in March of 1994. 

Ironically, I  bought a friends 1989 2.8 V6 Firebird  in the summer of 1993. I totaled that car in January of 1994. Nearly killed myself in  that accident too.  

Jeez, I hope you're a better driver now. Lol! Sounds like you totaled quite a few cars in your adolescent years. :dizzy: 🤨

Edited by USA-1

Speed kills...

Especially in the winter when traction from the road to the wheels is less than ideal...

I learned to drive in the winter with my uncles 1988 fullsized Chevy van. 305.  

I learned to control RWD fishtailing with that van.  No weight under the drive wheels even if it was a lowly 305. 

I learned to skid in the snow FWD vehicles with that Celebrity.  Yes, because I was a jackass to the car. But I did learn how to control handling in many situations by driving like an ass.    

In both accidents, the roads were slick and I was going waaaaay too fast for the conditions. I wrapped the Firebird on a traffic pole when I lost the back end in an intersection. Late at night in the wee hours.  I wasnt going THAT fast, 70 KM/H in a 50 zone (about 45 mph in a 30 zone)but it was fast enough to not being able to control the back end when the back end got loose and not being able to stop the car and finally the car wrapped itself on a traffic pole. Im lucky that I did not hit it drivers side or head on...

I told the cops the truth, that I was going a tad less than 70 KM/H. I took a breath-alyzer test and they saw I was sober and that is that...

The Celebrity accident was stupid of me. Like really really stupid.

It was a blizzard.  I was going about 75 MPH (120 KM/H) in a 65 MPH (100KM/H) highway when I should have been going  30-35 MPH.  I lost control and wrapped the car on the highway fence. I took at least a football field length of chain link fence. The car was wrapped in it. Im lucky to not have been decapitated...

The Quebec Transport Department later in the year upgraded that whole stretch of highway with cement block barriers. I think it was because of me!!!  LOL.  My insurance took care of it I guess. I lied. I said I was going the speed limit. 65 MPH.   The cop told me that too was too fast, but no charges was pressed...

But yeah...I learned to drive and control my vehicles in sticky situations BY driving at the limits... 

But now, I do not drive like an a$$ either...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

I spent my first two years driving in high school in S. Florida and summer break back in Ohio, no snow experience until....when I was 18 (1988!) and drove my '86 4cyl Mustang LX (college car) on snow for the FIRST TIME, I rounded a curve and lost it and went nose down into a ditch.  A farmer w/ a tractor pulled me out.   Was only about a mile from home.    No damage.    After that, I really mastered driving an underpowered RWD car w/ snow tires in NE Ohio winters until I switched to an SUV at age 24 after moving to Michigan.  

So 25+ years of driving SUVs, maybe 15 of those years in snowy places...(OH, MI, CO).

Edited by Robert Hall

That was a long time ago when I was 21 years old. I have had only one other accident ever since.  In a gas station parking lot. I finished gasing up and leaving when a dumb girl, was backing out of the station's parking spots when she did not see me and hit my car.  The passenger side front door was badly dented. I could open and close the door, but... And that was in 2011 I believe in my 2005 Impala SS.  So not my fault. 

However....I seem to get speeding tickets all the time though. I cant seem to shake those things off.

Image result for I dont know gif"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

That was a long time ago when I was 21 years old. I have had only one other accident ever since.  In a gas station parking lot. I finished gasing up and leaving when a dumb girl, was backing out of the station's parking spots when she did not see me and hit my car.  The passenger side front door was badly dented. I could open and close the door, but... And that was in 2011 I believe in my 2005 Impala SS.  So not my fault. 

However....I seem to get speeding tickets all the time though. I cant seem to shake those things off.

Image result for I dont know gif"

Hey Mr. Speeder you need a V1. Hopefully not illegal up there. It's saved my rear a few times in Ruby. Only online http://www.valentine1.com/

Etched forever in my memory:  My uncle had his '79 Bronco in the shop for something.  They gave him a Fox body LTD wagon with 3.3L/200 CID I-6 for a loaner.  There was a long stretch of straight road in front of the farm where we lived.  He challenged me to a drag race.  I was driving my '81 Grand Prix with the 3.8L/231 CID V6.  So of course I was eager to show him what my sporty Pontiac could do.

He destroyed me.  NO CONTEST.  It was very bruising to me, a kid of 18 and a GM fan... getting beat by a FORD STATION WAGON with an ANCIENT engine.  He laughed and laughed.

• Haha 2