Drew Dowdell

Ford News: Mustang Mach E Is The Name For the New Ford EV

Yes, regardless of the naming, if it achieves 370 mile range with good performance and drivability then it could be a very interesting product....but I wonder what the price point will be...will they price it like a Mustang GT or a Shelby? 

It's gotta be at least $50k minimum..... just with that amount of battery, they'd have to. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, regardless of the naming, if it achieves 370 mile range with good performance and drivability then it could be a very interesting product....but I wonder what the price point will be...will they price it like a Mustang GT or a Shelby? 

I wish for the GT, but early adopters I could see them go after Shelby pricing.

Be interested to see how the F150 EV / Rivian R1T does once they are for sale in the near future.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That would make sense.  Electra is the perfect name for an EV.   

Using the Mustang name just seems like a cheap, cynical marketing stunt.   Why not give this new, unique product it's own identity?  Or relate it to an existing crossover like Edge.   If it fails, it will tarnish the Mustang name. 

It wouldn't be the first time they put the Mustang name on a garbage Mustang. 

mustang ii.jpg

I also expect this to start around 50k or even more. Hopefully not, but let's be honest here.. it will. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It wouldn't be the first time they put the Mustang name on a garbage Mustang. 

Yes, but the Mustang II stuck to the Mustang formula..2dr, RWD, V8 available...mediocre, but consistent with the formula. 

• Upvote 3

I wonder if Mustang fans have the testicular fortitude to complain about this (as they need to) as loudly as they complained about the Probe fiasco.  Time will tell.  This is a disastrous move.

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I wonder if Mustang fans have the testicular fortitude to complain about this (as they need to) as loudly as they complained about the Probe fiasco.  Time will tell.  This is a disastrous move.

Naw, they will take it in stride, just look how they took the Mustang II. :P

Ford should have NOT use Mustang on this, They should have used a new family name for the EV portfolio.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I expect they will complain vociferously.  And they now have the internet.   This is a very stupid move on Ford's part.  I have no problem with Ford building an EV CUV--it's a great idea, but it's a dreadful idea to badge it as a Mustang.     Just stupid, cynical marketing.   Probably some marketing Millennial with no sense of product history made the naming decision.  Mustangs are supposed to fun, sporty 2 dr RWD cars...not pudgy CUVs. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3

Ford is thinking yeah an iconic nameplate will sell well. Problem is it's a Pony Car not a CUV that's iconc about it, a pony car that's been around since the early muscle car era known for having a thirsty, loud, V8 Gasoline engine. I think you're right @Robert Hall probably a couple of new blood Millennial's in the Marketing Dept. with no real history lesson on the car.

Maybe this is Ford's plan with keeping the Mustang around, knowing they're going to manufacture it with it's own full line of "Mustang branded" vehicles. HUGE mistake!!

• Upvote 2

So is anything known about the platform yet?  Is this a new dedicated EV platform, or just the Edge or Fusion platform with EV components and new body & interior? 

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

So is anything known about the platform yet?  Is this a new dedicated EV platform, or just the Edge or Fusion platform with EV components and new body & interior? 

I believe it is an all new dedicated platform, but we'll find out in a few days.

7 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Anytime someone got in for a ride they had to give him 5 bucks for the thirsty old girl, no joke!

Image result for gas grass or cash"

• Haha 1

I do not think its Millennials naming this EV as a Mustang.

I think its old skool Dearborn and Detroit  dinosaur execs that are afraid  that their "Mustang inspired EV" wont sell, so they want to attach it to something  youthful that represents FoMoCo for the last 50-60 years that represents fun and sporty and hip and they decided to (mis)use the Mustang brand for it... 

Like everything and everyone else, I will blame the old dinosaur white guy for the naming... 

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Like everything and everyone else, I will blame the old dinosaur white guy for the naming... 

Do you really have to bring his race into this discussion? For all you know he could be an old black or brown guy. LOL!!

wack i hate it GIF by Laffdumb dummy GIF

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

So according to this Jalopnik article w/ leaked info, there will supposedly be 5 trims with starting prices ranging from $43k to $60k for the GT.

RWD or AWD, 230 to 300 mile range depending on spec, and the GT capable of mid-3 sec 0-60.   Not bad...

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945?rev=1573786746343&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&fbclid=IwAR3-Gn5WPjYhgdW2ABOX_2kHqzpKgt-mGDIhpXdL74N1FbsQ_f84wIVFNgQ

zdndu5pjlw6bbdbuhzjz.png

wxzwxfn0xl6wh5oerax6.png

Edited by Robert Hall

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

So according to this Jalopnik article w/ leaked info, there will supposedly be 5 trims with starting prices ranging from $43k to $60k for the GT.

RWD or AWD, 230 to 300 mile range depending on spec, and the GT capable of mid-3 sec 0-60.   Not bad...

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945?rev=1573786746343&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&fbclid=IwAR3-Gn5WPjYhgdW2ABOX_2kHqzpKgt-mGDIhpXdL74N1FbsQ_f84wIVFNgQ

zdndu5pjlw6bbdbuhzjz.png

wxzwxfn0xl6wh5oerax6.png

Look at you stealing Drew's thunder 😁

Could just be named the Edge-E (Edgy) minus the distinctive Mustang taillights :D Looks like a weird bloated Mustang morphed into a CUV...I guess what they were going for. Inside looks pretty clean though. Also, looks like Ford found the OEM who makes the Tesla jumbo touchscreen and added a couple more inches. Seems like that much screen would be very distracting while driving.

Seems like this could be the first credible Tesla competitor from a US automaker.  

31 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Seems like this could be the first credible Tesla competitor from a US automaker.  

That's great, but can they deliver like Tesla...oh...wait...😁

Seriously though, I don't think they should have gone the "Mustang branding" route with a CUV. That front-end sure looks like a mix of Model X and 1st Gen. Model S. 

Edited by USA-1

Well, Ford knows how to manufacture autos and has an extensive dealer network, so those are advantages.   Time will tell...definitely interesting times...will the Mustang branding help or hurt it?  Clearly going to be marketing it as a performance EV...

Now when will GM start releasing a variety of EVs?  One goofy looking subcompact hatch isn’t enough...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Chinese market for Chevrolet comes first. . Based on that goofy hatch...

Chevrolet Menlo.

Image result for chevrolet menlo ev"                        Not as sexy as the Mustang Mach-E, but definitely sexier than the Bolt itself. 

Oh yeah, then there is the Buick Velite 6...China market only...suprise surprise...

Image result for buick velite 6 ev"

Image result for buick velite 6 ev"

But its the Ford Mustang Mach-E that is a truest DIRECT Tesla product competitor. Both in terms of range, performance and  driving characteristics.  

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, Ford knows how to manufacture autos and has an extensive dealer network, so those are advantages.   Time will tell...definitely interesting times...

Now when will GM start releasing a variety of EVs?  One goofy looking subcompact hatch isn’t enough...

They definitely have the dealer network Tesla doesn't that's for sure.

GM has a Bolt EUV with range of over 300 miles coming by 2021 as well. I agree Bolt is kinda goofy and too small and the EUV is still too small for me, but it's on the way.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27542133/chevrolet-bolt-euv-2021-crossover-spied/

Mary Barra has stated that GM will have 20 BEV's globally by 2023, yes being a huge manufacturer with several other eggs in the basket we'll be lucky to have 10 by then really even 5 BEV's would be sufficient for the current EV market.

Cadillac long range BEV SUV said to lead the big EV push is coming in the next couple of years as well.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1120908_long-range-cadillac-suv-to-lead-gms-next-electric-car-push-in-3-years

29 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Chinese market for Chevrolet comes first.

China needs BEV's like yesterday with all the smog and other pollution they have going on right now, their vehicle emissions standards are horrible and gasoline is crazy expensive there. I read the Chinese gov't is giving large Corp. incentives to get them out now as well.

We don't have the EV market in the U.S. yet to have a bunch of BEV's running around with people waiting in line to plug in. Many people are just set in their ways and a BEV is really a lifestyle change. Gas is still pretty cheap here as well so for many to take the EV plunge the full incentive just isn't there as of now. In the next 10 years we will see some change though.  

GM is using Cadillac to lead the BEV way like they should. They have the Cadillac BEV SUV coming out in the next year or so to challenge Tesla. Bolt and Bolt EUV were not designed to take on Tesla directly. 

image.thumb.png.6843e238b07c5058791aac407e7bc29e.png

Edited by USA-1

I'll be impressed if Ford can pull off this Stang Mach-E launch. I hope it's better than the disastrous 2020 Explorer/Aviator launch for their sake.

Pretty mean looking in your face picture with C&D write up here... https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-mach-e

Edited by USA-1

:roflmao:

This thing is pretty much exactly as stupid as I imagined.  LOL!