Drew Dowdell

2020 Genesis G90 Debuts for America: Comments

1655-Thenew2020GenesisG90premiumluxurysedaninmotion.jpgLos Angeles - The Genesis G90 made its North American debut this evening at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The new G90 introduces the next design theme for the Genesis family. It is a total reskin of the existing car. Genesis calls the design Horizontal Architecture and Athletic Elegance and it is reflected inside and outside the car.

The interior embodies the Horizontal Architecture theme with harmonious flow of horizontal surfaces such as the HVAC vents, audio controls, and wood trim. 

On the connectivity front, it is the first Genesis vehicle to offer over-the-air wireless updates for maps and software. Its 12.3-inch display navigation system is now touchscreen and a uses a copper user interface with copper accents. Standard are Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Mirror Link. Intelligent Car Management Service personalizes the driving experience by using data to analyze driving patterns and informs the driver of necessary maintenance and vehicle wear.

The interior environment is more serene, thanks to Active Noise Cancellation, which reduces noise, vibration and harshness using leading audio technology to reduce unwanted noise intrusion. Occupant convenience is enhanced by when entering tunnels through automatic external air prevention. The adaptive control suspension minimizes vibration in real time and precisely manages body motions throughout the range of dynamics with minimal compromises to ride comfort.

Safety technology that comes standard is Lane Follow Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Collision Avoidance, Forward Collision Avoidance Assist, Safe Exit Doors, and Highway Driving assist. There are 10 standard airbags.

Powering the G90 is a choice of 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 producing 365 horsepower and 376 lb.-ft of torque or a 5.0 liter V8 producing 420 horsepower and 383 lb.-ft of torque.  Both engines are mated to an 8-speed automatic and are available in rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive configurations. Fuel economy for the V6 Turbo is 17 city / 25 Highway while the V8 16 city / 24 highway (RWD) or 15 city / 23 highway (AWD)

1656-Thenew2020GenesisG90premiumluxurysedaninmotion.jpg

The 2020 Genesis G90 goes on sale in North America in December 2019

View full article

I like this better.

1962-chrysler-300.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ugh, it already looks dated...and that baleen whale mouth for a grille.🤮

A reskin of the existing car.  The genesis didn’t drive that great and they only reskinned it?   Kind of a GM move....

with sedans dying I guess I can understand the effort.  The USPS must be really happy because Hyundai is ‘mailing it in’

I’d find a 3 year old CT6 and drive that. 

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

How is that not an Acura???

It’s missing the ‘meat slicer’ grille

Edited by regfootball

About  how it not be an Acura.

It does not have the "jeweled" headlights...but yeah, I guess Hyundai could call that look, Acura inspired. 

And talking about Chrysler, which I love that car Blu posted, but I do prefer the previous year's fins better...

How does the logo on the steering wheel  not be a Chrysler?

Edited by oldshurst442

At least it looks different, and the wheels are unique.  The plus is it isn't a knock off Lexus or os S-class of the past like previous Genesis cars, this does stand out.   I do think it could look dated quickly though.  Interior is nice for the price point, obviously it isn't A8 level, but it is much cheaper too, so you get what you pay for.  I think the letdown is carryover powertrains and that 5.0 liter V8 went on sale for 2012 model year, so now 8 years later it is the same thing.  I think that turbo V6 is 7-8 years old too.  Those are dated, no hybrid system or anything, it is just old when people want cutting edge.

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About  how it not be an Acura.

It does not have the "jeweled" headlights...but yeah, I guess Hyundai could call that look, Acura inspired. 

And talking about Chrysler, which I love that car Blu posted, but I do prefer the previous year's fins better...

How does the logo on the steering wheel  not be a Chrysler?

But it does have Volvo'esque headlights with the horizontal LED lightpipes through the center of the assembly.

Looks just like their ubber pricey luxury version in Korea. Guess they figure, to recover R&D, gotta sell it in more markets. lol 😛 

Interesting...diamond shaped grille...but where will the license plate end up.   And yet Genesis is still only 3 sedans and no CUVs...in a CUV-crazy market. Seems like they think it's still 2010 and not almost 2020.

Everyone-“The Lexus predator grill is the ugliest grill ever”

Genesis-“Hold my beer.”

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Everyone-“The Lexus predator grill is the ugliest grill ever”

Genesis-“Hold my beer.”

I still think Lexus wins in this contest :)

I think BMW joined that contest

image.png.58e7d4106c692076703ff98dbddfaf6c.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ykX said:

I still think Lexus wins in this contest :)

I think BMW joined that contest

image.png.58e7d4106c692076703ff98dbddfaf6c.png

Lol! With honorable mention to the Acura “beak”!

And at least the Lexus LC wears it well somehow. That Genesis grill though, ugly stick city no matter what it gets slapped on!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1

On the CUV front, all Genesis has to do is take the Palisade and gussy it up.  Problem solved.

As for the grille, Nothing is as bad as the Lexus Predator mouth or as silly as the new BMW kidney grille.  The new G90 grille looks almost dignified by comparison.

• Like 1

I'm definitely in the minority here. I think the grille could be about 10-15% smaller but the rest just looks really classy. I'd drive one of these. 

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I like this better.

1962-chrysler-300.jpg

Heh-heh..speaking of grilles, the G90 grille kina reminds me of the '60 Chrysler Saratoga grille.

139056_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

• Upvote 1

S

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm definitely in the minority here. I think the grille could be about 10-15% smaller but the rest just looks really classy. I'd drive one of these. 

I like how they did G70.  Not fan of the oversized G90

17-2019-genesis-g70-drive.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Looks just like their ubber pricey luxury version in Korea. Guess they figure, to recover R&D, gotta sell it in more markets. lol 😛 

What R&D? Lol!

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but after looking at it and sitting in it, I came away really impressed. It's taking the Cadillac path of offering more space for your money and that space in the interior is really good.  Seeing as this will be priced about the same as a well equipped E-Class, but with S-Class space, it might gain some traction.   Glad they finally offered AWD in the 5.0 version. The old one the 5.0 was RWD only. 

• Upvote 2

Ehhhhhhhhh.  I like the current gen more.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but after looking at it and sitting in it, I came away really impressed. It's taking the Cadillac path of offering more space for your money and that space in the interior is really good.  Seeing as this will be priced about the same as a well equipped E-Class, but with S-Class space, it might gain some traction.   Glad they finally offered AWD in the 5.0 version. The old one the 5.0 was RWD only. 

Cadillac spent most of the 2000's making mot of  their cars smaller...... 

12 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Cadillac spent most of the 2000's making mot of  their cars smaller...... 

With the CT4, 5, and 6. They're larger than their German counterparts.

the CT4 and 5 are 2020 models.  The ATS and CTS which Cadillac banked a good part of the last decade on, were small inside.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

If they would do something about that hideous grill, they would be in better shape in the looks department but that grill simply looks about two sizes too big for it. The interior does look pretty nice though. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

If they would do something about that hideous grill, they would be in better shape in the looks department but that grill simply looks about two sizes too big for it. The interior does look pretty nice though. 

Big grilles are in these days.  See 7-series, A8, and LS.  I actually like this one. 

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Detroit this evening, Chevrolet took the wraps off the Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. We don't have specs yet to publish, but wanted to get the pictures out for you to see.  I will be updating the article as more details come out. 
      Six different trims will be offered including the new High Country trim, an RST trim, and Z71 becomes its own trim line instead of being offered as a separate package. LS, LT, and Premier trims carry on. Engines are the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s, but the 3.0L Duramax will also be joining the lineup. The 5.3 and 6.2 now sport dynamic fuel management. All engines send power to the wheels through a 10-speed automatic. The Duramax is available on every trim except Z71.
      The power ratings are:
      5.3-Liter - 355 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 383 lb-Ft of torque at 4100 RPM 6.2-Liter - 420 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 4100 RPM 3.0-Liter Duramax - 277 Horsepower at 3750 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM The column shifter is gone, replaced with a new pushbutton design placed on the dash.  Thanks to a fully independent rear suspension, they both gain room inside. Magnetic Ride Control and an Air Ride Adaptive Suspension (available on Z71 and High Country) are available. The Air Ride suspension offers adjustable height of up to 4-inches at all four corners .
      The dash sports a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment center standard. Buyers can opt for a rear seat entertainment system with twin 12.6-inch displays. Interior room is up; Tahoe sports 40 percent more third-row leg room and 66 percent more cargo volume behind the third row. While maximum cargo room is up 30 percent, the overall length increased only 4 percent. This is done on a wheelbase that is 4.9 inches longer than the 2020 model.  Suburban gets a 4.1 inch increase in wheelbase so that interior cargo volume increases 19 percent while overall length increases 1.3 inches.
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.8 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      Legroom
      (in / mm):
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      34.9 / 886 (third row)
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      36.7 / 933 (third row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Detroit this evening, Chevrolet took the wraps off the Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. We don't have specs yet to publish, but wanted to get the pictures out for you to see.  I will be updating the article as more details come out. 
      Six different trims will be offered including the new High Country trim, an RST trim, and Z71 becomes its own trim line instead of being offered as a separate package. LS, LT, and Premier trims carry on. Engines are the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s, but the 3.0L Duramax will also be joining the lineup. The 5.3 and 6.2 now sport dynamic fuel management. All engines send power to the wheels through a 10-speed automatic. The Duramax is available on every trim except Z71.
      The power ratings are:
      5.3-Liter - 355 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 383 lb-Ft of torque at 4100 RPM 6.2-Liter - 420 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 4100 RPM 3.0-Liter Duramax - 277 Horsepower at 3750 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM The column shifter is gone, replaced with a new pushbutton design placed on the dash.  Thanks to a fully independent rear suspension, they both gain room inside. Magnetic Ride Control and an Air Ride Adaptive Suspension (available on Z71 and High Country) are available. The Air Ride suspension offers adjustable height of up to 4-inches at all four corners .
      The dash sports a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment center standard. Buyers can opt for a rear seat entertainment system with twin 12.6-inch displays. Interior room is up; Tahoe sports 40 percent more third-row leg room and 66 percent more cargo volume behind the third row. While maximum cargo room is up 30 percent, the overall length increased only 4 percent. This is done on a wheelbase that is 4.9 inches longer than the 2020 model.  Suburban gets a 4.1 inch increase in wheelbase so that interior cargo volume increases 19 percent while overall length increases 1.3 inches.
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.8 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      Legroom
      (in / mm):
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      34.9 / 886 (third row)
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      36.7 / 933 (third row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

• By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes-Benz went the unconventional route and debuted their new GLA SUV completely online this morning. The new GLA comes on a new platform and changes up the dimensions a bit to improve interior space.  Overall length is down 0.6 inches, but height has increased 4.1 inches, and wheelbase is up 1.1 inches while width is up 1.2 inches. This translates to some minor improvements in most, but not all, interior dimensions.  (Dimensions chart on Page 2)
      The GLA initially will come in three forms, the GLA 250, GLA 250 4Matic, and AMG GLA 35.  The 250 and 250 4matic some with the same powertrain, a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder producing 221 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 258 lb-ft of torque at 1,620 - 4,000 RPM.  Power is sent to the wheels via an 8-speed DCT.
      The AMG GLA 35 comes with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 302 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 295 lb-ft of torque at 3,000 - 4,000 RPM. And uses a modified version of the 8-speed DCT. Zero to 60 is estimated at 5.0 seconds.
      GLA 250 models equipped with 4Matic come with an Off-Road Engineering Package as standard.  It is an extra drive mode that adapts the characteristics of the 4Matic system and changes power delivery and ABS intervention.  The gauge cluster will present an animation of gradient, inclination angle, and technical settings to help the driver through the situation. 
      4Matic has been updated from being hydraulically activated to electro-mechanically activated.  In normal mode, the system splits torque 80:20 front:rear.  Sport mode changes that ratio to 70:30, while off-road mode moves it to 50:50. Being electro-mechanically operated allows the 4Matic system to be more efficient by not having to drive hydraulic pumps. 
      The GLA 250 is available with a host of driver assistance packages. They include:
      Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC with the functions: braking for stationary vehicles, extended automatic restarting in traffic jams in conjunction with Active Parking Assist and navigation, activation of "Gliding" in the ECO drive mode, Active Steering Assist with the functions: Active Emergency Braking Assist – with automatic unlocking and placement of an SOS call to the Mercedes-Benz emergency call center after the vehicle has come to a stop (depending on country) Active Lane Change Assist in conjunction with navigation, Emergency lane function: in freeway traffic jams at speeds below approx. 37 mph. Active Speed Limit Assist with reaction to changes in speed limits in conjunction with Traffic Sign Assist, Route-based speed adjustment when approaching bends, roundabouts, toll stations, T-junctions and before leaving highways – reduction of vehicle speed when encountering the end of a traffic jam, in conjunction with navigation, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function, PRE-SAFE PLUS: can detect a potential rear impact. If the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes of the stationary vehicle, minimizing the risk of whiplash injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear. The interior of the GLA is quite similar to the A-Class sedan. Mercedes MBUX is there and can be activated by voice simply by saying "Hey Mercedes". 
      AMG 35
      The GLA AMG 35 gets an AMG tuned suspension, including an optional ride control system that allows the driver to select between three different drive modes.  A high performance braking system with 13.8 inch disks up front and 13.0 inch disks in the rear is included. There is a speed-sensitive variable ratio steering that changes the amount of assistance offered at different speeds. The AMG also gets a special exhaust system with a gas flap to change the sound dynamics of the car depending on mode, engine speed, and engine load. 
      The exterior of the AMG GLA 35 gets a different front fascia from the regular GLA 250, fitting in with the rest of the AMG lineup. 
      The GLA 250 goes on sale Summer of 2020 with the AMG following after that.

New GLA
      Predecessor
      Diff.
      Exterior dimensions
      Length
      in
      Width
      in
      +1.2
      Width incl. exterior mirrors
      in
      Height
      in
      +4.1
      Wheelbase
      in
      +1.1
      Track, front
      in
      +1.8
      Track, rear
      in
      +1.8
      Interior dimensions*
      Max. front headroom
      in
      +0.8
      Headroom, rear
      in
      Legroom, front
      in
      Legroom, rear
      in
      +4.5
      Elbow room, front
      in
      +1.3
      Elbow room, rear
      in
      +1.8
      Shoulder room, front
      in
      +1.1
      Shoulder room, rear
      in
      +1.7
      Load compartment width, max.
      in
      +3.4
      Load compartment depth, max.
      in
      +1.1
      Eff. width trunk opening
      in
      +0.2
      Trunk capacity (VDA)
      cu-ft
      +0.5

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes-Benz went the unconventional route and debuted their new GLA SUV completely online this morning. The new GLA comes on a new platform and changes up the dimensions a bit to improve interior space.  Overall length is down 0.6 inches, but height has increased 4.1 inches, and wheelbase is up 1.1 inches while width is up 1.2 inches. This translates to some minor improvements in most, but not all, interior dimensions.  (Dimensions chart on Page 2)
      The GLA initially will come in three forms, the GLA 250, GLA 250 4Matic, and AMG GLA 35.  The 250 and 250 4matic some with the same powertrain, a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder producing 221 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 258 lb-ft of torque at 1,620 - 4,000 RPM.  Power is sent to the wheels via an 8-speed DCT.
      The AMG GLA 35 comes with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 302 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 295 lb-ft of torque at 3,000 - 4,000 RPM. And uses a modified version of the 8-speed DCT. Zero to 60 is estimated at 5.0 seconds.
      GLA 250 models equipped with 4Matic come with an Off-Road Engineering Package as standard.  It is an extra drive mode that adapts the characteristics of the 4Matic system and changes power delivery and ABS intervention.  The gauge cluster will present an animation of gradient, inclination angle, and technical settings to help the driver through the situation. 
      4Matic has been updated from being hydraulically activated to electro-mechanically activated.  In normal mode, the system splits torque 80:20 front:rear.  Sport mode changes that ratio to 70:30, while off-road mode moves it to 50:50. Being electro-mechanically operated allows the 4Matic system to be more efficient by not having to drive hydraulic pumps. 
      The GLA 250 is available with a host of driver assistance packages. They include:
      Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC with the functions: braking for stationary vehicles, extended automatic restarting in traffic jams in conjunction with Active Parking Assist and navigation, activation of "Gliding" in the ECO drive mode, Active Steering Assist with the functions: Active Emergency Braking Assist – with automatic unlocking and placement of an SOS call to the Mercedes-Benz emergency call center after the vehicle has come to a stop (depending on country) Active Lane Change Assist in conjunction with navigation, Emergency lane function: in freeway traffic jams at speeds below approx. 37 mph. Active Speed Limit Assist with reaction to changes in speed limits in conjunction with Traffic Sign Assist, Route-based speed adjustment when approaching bends, roundabouts, toll stations, T-junctions and before leaving highways – reduction of vehicle speed when encountering the end of a traffic jam, in conjunction with navigation, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function, PRE-SAFE PLUS: can detect a potential rear impact. If the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes of the stationary vehicle, minimizing the risk of whiplash injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear. The interior of the GLA is quite similar to the A-Class sedan. Mercedes MBUX is there and can be activated by voice simply by saying "Hey Mercedes". 
      AMG 35
      The GLA AMG 35 gets an AMG tuned suspension, including an optional ride control system that allows the driver to select between three different drive modes.  A high performance braking system with 13.8 inch disks up front and 13.0 inch disks in the rear is included. There is a speed-sensitive variable ratio steering that changes the amount of assistance offered at different speeds. The AMG also gets a special exhaust system with a gas flap to change the sound dynamics of the car depending on mode, engine speed, and engine load. 
      The exterior of the AMG GLA 35 gets a different front fascia from the regular GLA 250, fitting in with the rest of the AMG lineup. 
      The GLA 250 goes on sale Summer of 2020 with the AMG following after that.

New GLA
      Predecessor
      Diff.
      Exterior dimensions
      Length
      in
      Width
      in
      +1.2
      Width incl. exterior mirrors
      in
      Height
      in
      +4.1
      Wheelbase
      in
      +1.1
      Track, front
      in
      +1.8
      Track, rear
      in
      +1.8
      Interior dimensions*
      Max. front headroom
      in
      +0.8
      Headroom, rear
      in
      Legroom, front
      in
      Legroom, rear
      in
      +4.5
      Elbow room, front
      in
      +1.3
      Elbow room, rear
      in
      +1.8
      Shoulder room, front
      in
      +1.1
      Shoulder room, rear
      in
      +1.7
      Load compartment width, max.
      in
      +3.4
      Load compartment depth, max.
      in
      +1.1
      Eff. width trunk opening
      in
      +0.2
      Trunk capacity (VDA)
      cu-ft
      +0.5
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Genesis G70 just came out last year, but fast moving Genesis already has a refresh in the works. Due in the 2021 or 2022 model year, we got a hint of what may power the G70.
      Someone at Genesis let it slip that the Hyundai Sonata N-Line engine would find its way into the G70 as the new base engine.  The current 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder turbo that serves as the base powerplant today produces 252 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. The Sonata N-Line engine is a 2.5-liter turbo 4 produces 290 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, a significant boost over the current car.  This would likely carry over into the Genesis despite being oriented in a north-south fashion.  This engine could also find its way into the Genesis GV80 SUV that is due to be released next month. What will likely carry over is the current 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6, though with a possible power boost. 
      What will likely not carry over is the 6-speed manual transmission. According to Genesis, the manual makes up only 4% of sales. 

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook