Drew Dowdell

The Chevy Trailblazer Thinks You Don't Want a Cruze: Comments

2021-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-ACTIV-024.jpgLos Angeles - Chevrolet thinks that you don't want a Cruze anymore and instead you'll buy an SUV.  Enter Chevy's answer for that, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer starts under $20,000 and for those taking notes, that's less than the current Chevrolet Trax even though the Trailblazer is the larger vehicle, fitting between the Trax and Equinox in size.

Themed after the larger Blazer, the Trailblazer looks wider in person than its specs suggest.  Powertrains match the Buick Encore GX on which this shares a platform.  Powered by either a 1.2L turbo or 1.3L turbo 3-cylinder engine, the Trailblazer will deliver up to 155 horsepower. Both engines are mated with a standard Continuously Variable Transmission with selectable stop/start capability. A nine-speed automatic transmission is also available on Trailblazers equipped with the 1.3L engine and all-wheel drive. The AWD is selectable so that drivers can choose between traction or fuel economy as conditions dictate. 

The Trailblazer features 40/60 split folding second row seats, which enables the vehicle to accommodate objects up to 8.5 feet long. Overall storage capacity is rated up to 54.4cubic feet10 with the second row folded.

Trailblazer is equipped with a comprehensive list of safety technology:

• Forward Collision Alert
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Pedestrian Braking
  • IntelliBeam Headlamps (Auto High Beam Assist)
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Rear Vision Camera
  • Teen Driver
  • Rear Seat Reminder3
  • OnStar4

Additional optional active safety and driver assistance features include:

• Adaptive Cruise Control - Camera
  • Rear Park Assist
  • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • HD Rear Vision Camera

2021-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-ACTIV-014.jpgTrailblazer ACTIV is equipped with unique tires and shock tuning. The ACTIV dampers are tuned to enhance vehicle performance and ride comfort when traveling on gravel roads.  The Hankook Sport Terrain 17-inch tires feature an aggressive shoulder design and an all-season tread pattern.

The front fascia on Trailblazer ACTIV has been revised with the lower section designed for improved ground clearance. Additional exterior differentiation includes two-tone roof, standard roof rails and trapezoid-shaped exhaust tips.

Trailblazer joins the Trax and Equinox in showrooms in Spring of 2020.

View full article

• Like 1

I assume that safety list stuff is standard? 

I’m in a perilous time period where sooner rather than later, all that crap is going to be on everything. Truck shopping next year!

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I assume that safety list stuff is standard? 

I’m in a perilous time period where sooner rather than later, all that crap is going to be on everything. Truck shopping next year!

The first list is standard. The second list is optional once you climb into higher trims.  And yes, the trucks already come with a bunch of it. 

Actually not a bad looking ride despite the name heresy but that three cylinder engine would be a hard no from me. Still, looks far better than the Trax. 

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's probably the best looking sub-compact SUV. 

*for the brand.

I think the Seltos looks better. 

• Confused 1

Baby Blazer look helps, but just not a sub compact fan.

I like the Rapid Blue Motortrend 2020 COTY sitting in front of it better! 👍🏻

I have to say that a $20K Trailblazer is a good idea.  Here is what would improve that: a $14K Trax to go along with the new Trailblazer.  Gotta get more Chevy buyers to ditch the used car market for NEW affordable options.

• Upvote 2

I am SO tired of SUVs...

• Upvote 1

Wow, the Seltos looks dumpy compared to the Trailblazer, and even though it's down on horsepower with the top level engine, the Trailblazer's 3 has very good torque numbers.  Modern looks, safety, and a knockout starting MSRP work together to make a compelling compact CUV.  Chevy says the Trailblazer Activ 4WD will be about $26k... that is what I paid for my Compass Latitude 4 model years ago.  I am digging the Zeus Bronze... a great tie-in to the mighty C8!

• Upvote 2

Looks a lot better than the Traxx, and better than a lot of these tiny SUVs.  Tiny engine though, good price, I think they'll sell a decent number of them, but it will probably kill off the Trax, unless they get a new model in there.

I feel like the Trailblazer should be more up level than the Blazer though, Tracker would have been a better name I think for this vehicle, and they could have used the Trailblazer name on another vehicle like a Wrangler competitor or something.

Edited by smk4565

I like it....very scrappy look to it...if I didn't already have my equinox- I think I would seriously consider one.

Love this much more than the new Escape......

• Upvote 1

Hate the Exterior looks, like the Brown interior dash.

possibly will be Chevy's hottest seller soon.  Really to bad this isn't a 1.5 or 1.6 4 cylinder though

I am striving to overcome my skepticism of the turbo 3.  I know they have a distinctive growl.  Hopefully it won't be too silent.  The torque number is admirable.  If it has good giddy-up and fuel mileage... plus good reliability, it will be fine.  When will it be lined up at a Christmas tree?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I am striving to overcome my skepticism of the turbo 3.  I know they have a distinctive growl.  Hopefully it won't be too silent.  The torque number is admirable.  If it has good giddy-up and fuel mileage... plus good reliability, it will be fine.  When will it be lined up at a Christmas tree?

Thinking the same thing!!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, regfootball said:

possibly will be Chevy's hottest seller soon.  Really to bad this isn't a 1.5 or 1.6 4 cylinder though

They were smarter on price- want folks to buy and lease these....

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

*for the brand.

I think the Seltos looks better. 

I think that looks really good but I like the looks of this more. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I can easily put the looks of the Trailblazer and the Seltos in the same tiny basket.

Yeah, those two really are head and shoulders above the field. 

• Upvote 1

I like the relatively upright, flat windshield.  This feature should lend a feeling of good visibility and interior space, as it does on the Jeep Renegade.  The LT trim looks good over at Chevy's site, but the Activ fits me to a T.  The Trailblazer manages to look better in all trims than its massively expensive, larger bro, the Blazer.  The Blazer looks pitifully boring in any guise except for the RS.  I can agree with SMK on the name, Tracker may have been a more logical name for it, based on history, but it is what it is.  I am noticing a whole lot less vitriol over this being called Trailblazer than the whole Blazer ruckus that was raised... maybe it is because the Trailblazer, as a product, is more compelling than the Blazer.  I would rather drive a Ford Edge than a Blazer if I were looking in that size/price class.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 1

So everyone is groaning and moaning about Nissan, Honda and Subaru using CVT but nobody mentioned it here?  I guess the badge justifies different treatment.

1.2L turbo with CVT - ohh I am sure this will be lightning fast.

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, ocnblu said:

I am digging the Zeus Bronze... a great tie-in to the mighty C8!

The C8 is missing quite a few things though....

The C8 does not offer AWD and continuous and limitless gear ratios... The C8 is ONLY RWD and is limited to 8 speeds...BLAH!  

And let us not talk about the price...holy Jeebus!  I could buy 2 Trailblazers for the price of 1 Corvette.  

So...what is so mighty about the C8, then?    

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Detroit this evening, Chevrolet took the wraps off the Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. We don't have specs yet to publish, but wanted to get the pictures out for you to see.  I will be updating the article as more details come out. 
      Six different trims will be offered including the new High Country trim, an RST trim, and Z71 becomes its own trim line instead of being offered as a separate package. LS, LT, and Premier trims carry on. Engines are the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s, but the 3.0L Duramax will also be joining the lineup. The 5.3 and 6.2 now sport dynamic fuel management. All engines send power to the wheels through a 10-speed automatic. The Duramax is available on every trim except Z71.
      The power ratings are:
      5.3-Liter - 355 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 383 lb-Ft of torque at 4100 RPM 6.2-Liter - 420 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 4100 RPM 3.0-Liter Duramax - 277 Horsepower at 3750 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM The column shifter is gone, replaced with a new pushbutton design placed on the dash.  Thanks to a fully independent rear suspension, they both gain room inside. Magnetic Ride Control and an Air Ride Adaptive Suspension (available on Z71 and High Country) are available. The Air Ride suspension offers adjustable height of up to 4-inches at all four corners .
      The dash sports a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment center standard. Buyers can opt for a rear seat entertainment system with twin 12.6-inch displays. Interior room is up; Tahoe sports 40 percent more third-row leg room and 66 percent more cargo volume behind the third row. While maximum cargo room is up 30 percent, the overall length increased only 4 percent. This is done on a wheelbase that is 4.9 inches longer than the 2020 model.  Suburban gets a 4.1 inch increase in wheelbase so that interior cargo volume increases 19 percent while overall length increases 1.3 inches.
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.8 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      Legroom
      (in / mm):
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      34.9 / 886 (third row)
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      36.7 / 933 (third row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Detroit this evening, Chevrolet took the wraps off the Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. We don't have specs yet to publish, but wanted to get the pictures out for you to see.  I will be updating the article as more details come out. 
      Six different trims will be offered including the new High Country trim, an RST trim, and Z71 becomes its own trim line instead of being offered as a separate package. LS, LT, and Premier trims carry on. Engines are the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s, but the 3.0L Duramax will also be joining the lineup. The 5.3 and 6.2 now sport dynamic fuel management. All engines send power to the wheels through a 10-speed automatic. The Duramax is available on every trim except Z71.
      The power ratings are:
      5.3-Liter - 355 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 383 lb-Ft of torque at 4100 RPM 6.2-Liter - 420 Horsepower at 5600 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 4100 RPM 3.0-Liter Duramax - 277 Horsepower at 3750 RPM / 460 lb-ft of torque at 1500 RPM The column shifter is gone, replaced with a new pushbutton design placed on the dash.  Thanks to a fully independent rear suspension, they both gain room inside. Magnetic Ride Control and an Air Ride Adaptive Suspension (available on Z71 and High Country) are available. The Air Ride suspension offers adjustable height of up to 4-inches at all four corners .
      The dash sports a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment center standard. Buyers can opt for a rear seat entertainment system with twin 12.6-inch displays. Interior room is up; Tahoe sports 40 percent more third-row leg room and 66 percent more cargo volume behind the third row. While maximum cargo room is up 30 percent, the overall length increased only 4 percent. This is done on a wheelbase that is 4.9 inches longer than the 2020 model.  Suburban gets a 4.1 inch increase in wheelbase so that interior cargo volume increases 19 percent while overall length increases 1.3 inches.
      INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
        TAHOE SUBURBAN Headroom
      (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.9 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      42.3 / 1074 (first row)
      38.8 / 988 (second row)
      38.2 / 970 (third row)
      Legroom
      (in / mm):
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      34.9 / 886 (third row)
      44.5 / 1131 (first row)
      42 / 1068 (second row)
      36.7 / 933 (third row)
      EPA Passenger Volume
      (cu ft / L):
      168.4 / 4768
      170.4 / 4826
      Cargo Volume^
      (cu ft / L):
      122.9 / 3479 (behind first row)
      72.7 / 2058 (behind second row)
      25.5 / 722 (behind third row)
      144.7 / 4097 (behind first row)
      92.9 / 2632 (behind second row)
      41.1 / 1164 (behind third row)

• By Drew Dowdell
      Mercedes-Benz went the unconventional route and debuted their new GLA SUV completely online this morning. The new GLA comes on a new platform and changes up the dimensions a bit to improve interior space.  Overall length is down 0.6 inches, but height has increased 4.1 inches, and wheelbase is up 1.1 inches while width is up 1.2 inches. This translates to some minor improvements in most, but not all, interior dimensions.  (Dimensions chart on Page 2)
      The GLA initially will come in three forms, the GLA 250, GLA 250 4Matic, and AMG GLA 35.  The 250 and 250 4matic some with the same powertrain, a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder producing 221 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 258 lb-ft of torque at 1,620 - 4,000 RPM.  Power is sent to the wheels via an 8-speed DCT.
      The AMG GLA 35 comes with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 302 horsepower at 5,800 RPM and 295 lb-ft of torque at 3,000 - 4,000 RPM. And uses a modified version of the 8-speed DCT. Zero to 60 is estimated at 5.0 seconds.
      GLA 250 models equipped with 4Matic come with an Off-Road Engineering Package as standard.  It is an extra drive mode that adapts the characteristics of the 4Matic system and changes power delivery and ABS intervention.  The gauge cluster will present an animation of gradient, inclination angle, and technical settings to help the driver through the situation. 
      4Matic has been updated from being hydraulically activated to electro-mechanically activated.  In normal mode, the system splits torque 80:20 front:rear.  Sport mode changes that ratio to 70:30, while off-road mode moves it to 50:50. Being electro-mechanically operated allows the 4Matic system to be more efficient by not having to drive hydraulic pumps. 
      The GLA 250 is available with a host of driver assistance packages. They include:
      Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC with the functions: braking for stationary vehicles, extended automatic restarting in traffic jams in conjunction with Active Parking Assist and navigation, activation of "Gliding" in the ECO drive mode, Active Steering Assist with the functions: Active Emergency Braking Assist – with automatic unlocking and placement of an SOS call to the Mercedes-Benz emergency call center after the vehicle has come to a stop (depending on country) Active Lane Change Assist in conjunction with navigation, Emergency lane function: in freeway traffic jams at speeds below approx. 37 mph. Active Speed Limit Assist with reaction to changes in speed limits in conjunction with Traffic Sign Assist, Route-based speed adjustment when approaching bends, roundabouts, toll stations, T-junctions and before leaving highways – reduction of vehicle speed when encountering the end of a traffic jam, in conjunction with navigation, Evasive Steering Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function, PRE-SAFE PLUS: can detect a potential rear impact. If the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes of the stationary vehicle, minimizing the risk of whiplash injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear. The interior of the GLA is quite similar to the A-Class sedan. Mercedes MBUX is there and can be activated by voice simply by saying "Hey Mercedes". 
      AMG 35
      The GLA AMG 35 gets an AMG tuned suspension, including an optional ride control system that allows the driver to select between three different drive modes.  A high performance braking system with 13.8 inch disks up front and 13.0 inch disks in the rear is included. There is a speed-sensitive variable ratio steering that changes the amount of assistance offered at different speeds. The AMG also gets a special exhaust system with a gas flap to change the sound dynamics of the car depending on mode, engine speed, and engine load. 
      The exterior of the AMG GLA 35 gets a different front fascia from the regular GLA 250, fitting in with the rest of the AMG lineup. 
      The GLA 250 goes on sale Summer of 2020 with the AMG following after that.

New GLA
      Predecessor
      Diff.
      Exterior dimensions
      Length
      in
      Width
      in
      +1.2
      Width incl. exterior mirrors
      in
      Height