balthazar

The Cove

Sidebar:  since we were talking Rivieras and I mentioned the dash design, here are a few interior shots:

Purist form - "less is more?"  I had seen these in the showroom and liked this car's interior a lot.

96121301991014.jpg

This may be a kit - not sure if I like it

DashKit1.jpg

Resemblance to the first-gen Riv - yes, there is definitely some ... I am stunned to see that crank windows were even available on this groundbreaking personal luxury car.

1963-1965-buick-riviera-dash.jpg

Okay, have a great day, folks, and Happy New Year.  Since it's 2020, it might be good to put things into a 20/20 POV.  Cheers.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Several years, Cougar had a "cove" rear,  but I not only do I prefer the 1969 version, but I think the 1969 rear exemplifies it the best.

Image result for Mercury Cougar rear

1961 Continental

Related image

Balthy, you already posted a version of it, but I want to post it again as a Galaxie 500 XL

Image result for 1964 ford galaxie 500 xl rear

1963 Impala SS.  

Image result for 1963 Impala ss rear

• Upvote 2

Do Corvettes qualify?

Image result for 1969 Corvette rear

Related image

Maybe the concave is not concave enough and its not flanked by enough closure at the sides? 

• Upvote 2

About those Rivieras...the comparison of the interiors of the first generation 1963-1964 and the last generation 1995-1999.

Its kinda cool that the last gen really emulated the look of the 1st generation. Its kinda cool that that the last generation book-ended the end of the Riviera by imitating the 1st gen interior. It kinda ended up that way. That would be a bummer though that Buick never again gave us a Riviera.

Another bummer would be:

Its a damned shame that even though the last gen imitated the 1st gen's interior, its a huge shame that Buick gave us a very cheap plasticky interior for it...  

The original is a zillion times more luxurious...  

What is Buick?

One look at the original  and you immediately understand what is Buick.

One look at the 1995 interior and you understand why Buick is where its at in the market place in 2019... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Challengers of the early 1970s. 

Image result for 1970 dodge challenger rear

Platform mate 'Cuda of the same years

Related image

Pontiac GTO

Image result for 1966 Pontiac GTO rear

Mustang

Image result for 1968 ford mustang rear

Modern designers designing cars dont seem to care about the rear as much as the old days. But  maybe, I found the best example of a  rear end that may have a "cove"?  I know its one of the nicest rear ends by today's standards so all is not lost with this post if not a cove.

Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato

Related image

Image result for aston martin vanquish zagato

Edited by oldshurst442

@oldshurst442

Those Corvettes are definitely "coved" in my mind.

I'd gladly drive a current rendition of a '92 sized Buick Riviera (or, better yet, a Toro) but with a dash that's more interesting, like that of the '95-'96 Riv.

Sad, I doubt we will ever see a mid-size personal luxury coupe again, and I'm excluding the Cadillac products like their coupe with the almost perfectly flat back window.  I don't like that one.