2020 Cadillac CT5 // Should Audi, BMW and Mercedes Be WORRIED??

No. I do not think BMW, Audi and Mercedes should be worried about the CT5.

Not because the CT5 is not worthy, but because sedans, luxury or otherwise, are on a very fast decline in sales in the US and in Canada. CUVs and SUVs are what people want.  Had this car existed, the way it is now, 20-25 years ago, Mercedes, Audi and BMW would not have the recognition they have and enjoy now. 

In other words, if the Catera  been what the CT5 is, the way the CT5 is better luxury, better quality, more Cadillac worthy than  the Catera, then Cadillac would not have lost even more faith from the self hating American car buyer that turned their backs on the classic America Cadillac car, but ironically clinging unto that iconic past through the Escalade.  And that would be 20-25 years worth of loyal, sport sedan Cadillac following. Yes, the BOF RWD Fleetwood  was NOT the bad ass ride people wanted from Cadillac and the Escalade took over. But snooty, self-hating Americans turned to the German sport sedan for solace, but had Cadillac given them a reason NOT to self-hate with a CT5 rather than a Catera, or even a 1st gen CTS, then things might have been a tad different for the Germans in North America...

Aside from the idiotic trim naming of 350T representing the power of the internal combustion engine and eventually the electric motor in newton meters, this car is solid.  Yes. Yes. The external visual design language is maybe some sort of point of contention with some, at least it's a design language that pops from the mundane of some other sedans  on the market. Hey! At least the CT5 pops more than Cadillac's own CUVs even!!! 

Upon more reflection, I find the choice of Cadillac using Led Zep as a start of a new thing as a poor choice.

Breakthrough, huh?

HOW?

The CTS was eons ahead of the Catera, but not from the Germans. 

By using a BRITISH rock-n-roll band?  That disbanded when Cadillac was still #1. In the 1970s?  No real threat from the Germans  as of yet. Although the downward spiral was commencing, it was not yet apparent. 

The use of rock-n-roll in the early 2000s was also stupid. 

Rock-n-Roll had ceased to be that rebellious teenaged thing and Lep Zep had ceased to be relevant in the early 2000s.

If Cadillac really wanted  rock-n-roll, maybe Cadillac should have chosen an American band. No. Not Elvis as Im guessing Cadillac wanted to stray away from THAT image. The land yacht, chromed and finned imaged that Elvis represented from the good ole 1950s. 

Like I said, rock-n-roll was not that good of a choice. Not Elvis, not Chuck Berry, not KISS, not Lep Zep. 

End of rant. 

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure Tesla owns this segment currently (compact entry luxury sedans) by a wide margin.  The others have declined the last few years, but the top dog BMW in particular has tanked.  Will be interesting to see if the Model Y is able to do the same.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

^^^ The Tesla Model 3 especially owns this segment.  Yes.

Remains to be seen, like you said, if the Model Y can duplicate the fervor that the Model S and Model 3 have made for Tesla. The Model X not so much.  But, I dont see how the Model Y could NOT have a crazy following, unless of course CUVs dont garner that kind of craziness from fanbois. CUVs arent exactly enthusiast vehicles no matter how many "M", "AMG"  badges are on them...

Yes. Yes. The gullwing doors of the Model X mesmerize people, but the Model S and Model 3 have made  Tesla fanbois into rabid, crazy folk along the lines of Camaro and Mustang fanbois.  Good or bad, Cadillac needs that kind of hardcore following.  And the CT5 is not that vehicle.  The next gen Escalade might be that vehicle. The Escalade has a loud following.  

Lets see what Cadillac does in the EV department. I think Cadillac will re-invent itself with EVs. I think its too late for Cadillac with the ICE age. That boat sailed away a long time ago for Cadillac. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Everybody should always be concerned about competition- it's just good business sense. You can SAY whatever you like in press releases/interviews, but mercedes has a long history of benchmarking the competition, so you can bet they'll check the new Cadillac's out. They know they were already leap-frogged in chassis dynamics...

But the Germans twins (audi is a brand of a conglomerate- a lot less pressure despite doing far worse) have their own problems, the scandal of dieselgate, dropping sales, dropping profits, more recalls (MB just issued one yesterday going back to 2001). In the U.S. both are sedan-heavy in a market that doesn't want sedans, and neither (still) have a viable EV program in place.
MB is slashing payroll to boot, and BOTH MB's and BMW's other brands are just leaden weight.
All this garbage makes any market shift away from their product that much more critical.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

Obviously you see what they're doing and how they're doing them but Cadillac doesn't seem to be advancing the segment.

Everybody has been making payroll adjustments... That's not a BMW and Mercedes-specific issue. 

Watched this review the other day, sort of boring review, but covered everything in detail.

But the Germans don't have anything to worry about with the CT5.  Sedans don't do well, only the really strong ones have any sales left, whether that be Camry/Accord or C-class/3-series, the big names have survived while many other die.

Luxury is an SUV game, the Germans build the best SUVs, and it isn't even close.  Cadillac puts their sedans on better chassis with better engines than they give their SUVs, which makes zero sense. 

^ Much like I've been told before; despite the g-wagoon being the highest-priced model MB offers, it's still (somehow) not the flagship- the s-class is. And clearly that's where MB put the vast majority of money between those 2 models.

Which some might say "makes zero sense". :D

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Much like I've been told before; despite the g-wagoon being the highest-priced model MB offers, it's still (somehow) not the flagship- the s-class is. And clearly that's where MB put the vast majority of money between those 2 models.

Which some might say "makes zero sense". :D

There are multiple halos in the Mercedes line, The SL was once a halo, it is has sort of slipped away due roadsters in general falling out of favor.   The AMG GT is the performance flagship, the G-wagon is the SUV flagship, the S-class is the luxury flagship.  The top S-class is close to $250,000, that is still their most expensive car, and the S-class's technology trickles down to everything else.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Any modern G may have old-@ss roots and downfalls but a luxurious SUV with 4-600hp V8's and all the nifty off-road goodies, is just plain cool to me. 

Only 3 parts carried over from the previous G-wagen. The current G has very new roots.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, oldshurst442 said:

No. I do not think BMW, Audi and Mercedes should be worried about the CT5.

Not because the CT5 is not worthy, but because sedans, luxury or otherwise, are on a very fast decline in sales in the US and in Canada. CUVs and SUVs are what people want.  Had this car existed, the way it is now, 20-25 years ago, Mercedes, Audi and BMW would not have the recognition they have and enjoy now. 

In other words, if the Catera  been what the CT5 is, the way the CT5 is better luxury, better quality, more Cadillac worthy than  the Catera, then Cadillac would not have lost even more faith from the self hating American car buyer that turned their backs on the classic America Cadillac car, but ironically clinging unto that iconic past through the Escalade.  And that would be 20-25 years worth of loyal, sport sedan Cadillac following. Yes, the BOF RWD Fleetwood  was NOT the bad ass ride people wanted from Cadillac and the Escalade took over. But snooty, self-hating Americans turned to the German sport sedan for solace, but had Cadillac given them a reason NOT to self-hate with a CT5 rather than a Catera, or even a 1st gen CTS, then things might have been a tad different for the Germans in North America...

Aside from the idiotic trim naming of 350T representing the power of the internal combustion engine and eventually the electric motor in newton meters, this car is solid.  Yes. Yes. The external visual design language is maybe some sort of point of contention with some, at least it's a design language that pops from the mundane of some other sedans  on the market. Hey! At least the CT5 pops more than Cadillac's own CUVs even!!! 

Upon more reflection, I find the choice of Cadillac using Led Zep as a start of a new thing as a poor choice.

IDK, I'm pretty excited after watching that ad. :metal::D