William Maley

Subaru News: Subaru Plans To Go Electric-Only By the Mid-2030s

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Chevy Boxer...Corvair.  I wonder if any one has ever swapped a Subaru boxer into a Corvair...

I couldnt find a Subie swap, I wasnt trying too hard either, but I did find a Porsche 911 swap

Image result for corvair porsche engine swap

But like always...a ton of LS swaps...

Related image

Even front engine conversions

Image result for corvair ls swap

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the “not jump on it right now” EV move. Grow into it, I say....

Still think there will be a few ICE Subies left,  for the diehards....

There have been some STI powered Porsche swaps.

What's more  blasphemous?

A Porsche  with a Subaru boxer 6 swap?        (I googled  quickly and I saw a handful of  944s,  one 911 and even 1 Beetle with a Subie swap)

A Corvair with a Porsche engine swap?

A 911 with an LS swap?

A front engine conversion Corvair?

I personally think all those swaps are awesome.  They all make sense and just augment the aura of the car in question that much more.  OK...an LS swap is no longer unique. One could say its cliché at this point.  But sometimes, an LS swap just makes sense. A 911 with an LS swap just magnifies the 911's characteristics that much more.   ( A turbo 911 (993),  is a beast, and AWD helps calm the beast down, but an LS swapped 993 without AWD just augments that beast mode times a million...and the LS is more or less the same external size as that Porsche 6 with the turbos making a tad more power but that much more torque.   A hater will only see Chevy small block V8 rather than see that the "personality" of the 911 with a LS is the same as a turbo 993 911, but with more chest hair...)

The only one I have a problem with is a front engined conversion of a Corvair.  That messes with the Corvair's original intent.  It augments nothing. It changes everything. 

So....to get to a point, tying this thread of it being about an EV Subie.  I dont think an electric Subie WRX STi changes what a WRX STi is all about with enthusiasts.  An EV Subie WRX STi with 4 motors like that Rivian truck, but tuned and softwared to be a rally race car for the street, like it is now actually, more or less, rather than offroad/wildlife life style truck is good by me. 

Edited by oldshurst442

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      According to MotorTrend, fords Mach e while pissing off the mustang faithful has already sold out all production for America and Europe for the first year. As such with GM having a flexible EV platform and considerable new EVs coming over the next 3 years, this begs the question of Could GM produce a Camaro EV CUV and call it the Z28? With the first nine auto's off the EV platform to be a Cadillac, one has to wonder how GM might fit the sporty performance into their product line and having a performance CUV Camaro could be the magic ticket.
      To quote the MotorTrend story: we'd expect a Chevy Camaro electric SUV to at least match the 255 horsepower Ford is targeting for the base Mustang Mach-E. For higher-trim variants, Chevy would likely have to adopt a dual-motor all-wheel-drive setup to stay competitive with the 332-hp, 417-lb-ft Mach-E 4 and 459-hp, 612-lb-ft Mach-E GT.
      https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-camaro-e-28-renderings/

• By William Maley
      Today in Tokyo, Subaru put forth an ambitious plan. By the mid-2030s, the Japanese automaker will only sell electric vehicles worldwide. This announcement comes as no surprise as both China and Europe have announced stricter emissions regulations that will be coming in the near future.
      But to reach that goal, Subaru will be working with Toyota (which owns a 8.7 percent stake in Subaru) on developing both hybrid and electric vehicles. In a statement, Subaru executives said work has started on a “strong hybrid” vehicle using Toyota technology. No other details were provided. The two are also working on full-electric vehicles that will launch sometime this decade. These vehicles will play a key role in Subaru's goal of having 40 percent of vehicles sold be all-electric and electrified cars by 2030.
      Despite this change in direction for powertrains, Subaru executive's stress their vehicles will retain the key traits that have their vehicles unique.
      “Although we’re using Toyota technology, we want to make hybrids that are distinctly Subaru,” said Subaru's Chief Technology Officer Tetsuo Onuki.
      “It’s not only about reducing CO2 emissions. We need to further improve vehicle safety and the performance of our all-wheel drive.”
      Source: Reuters, Autoblog
  • Recent Status Updates

• trinacriabob  »  balthazar

It's not possible to message you.  At least, it wasn't possible to do that last summer.  So I'll post it here.  I had a crazy layover back in June at PHL ... for about 8 hours ... and wondered how far into NJ you were from Philly.  What I did is get the PHLash day pass and did the self-guided tour of Center City before heading back to the airport.  I stayed too close to the center because of time. I actually wasted time by going into South Philly.  I wanted to venture out onto the Main Line and see Villanova.  That rail line was included on the pass I bought.  I had to manage my time because of the late afternoon flight to the Coast.  Cheers.
      · 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

Merry Christmas!
      · 1 reply
    • Robert Hall

Last work day of the year.  My client wants me back in January...which is good, really like working from home

· 1 reply
    • Drew Dowdell

Well today is the day. Last day at Direct Energy.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

Wheels for the week: 2020 Toyota Corolla XLE. We'll be taking this one on a trip to Virginia and testing out how close to the 37mpg highway rating we'll get. It's equipped with Toyota Safety Sense which means I'll have radar cruise control for the trip (Yay!). The shocking part is the price: $28,084 for a Corolla that doesn't even have the biggest engine. But it's got heated seats, so that will keep Albert Maisto happy.
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook