ocnblu

FEBRUARY 2020 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD!

Here we are in the midst of winter in the northern hemispherical combustion chamber.  Let us defrost our spectacles, hop out of the nest and roam a bit, in search of cold weather spots!  Post 'em if you got 'em.

Drove a couple hundred miles Friday night after flying into West Palm Beach, in heavy rain up the coast to Daytona Beach.  This morning I watched SUVs driving back and forth on Daytona Beach from my 8th floor hotel room, incl a dark red GC Trackhawk or SRT.   Rainy, foggy and windy.  Later on I-95 in GA I saw a very clean white w black top ‘70 Bonneville 4dr ht cruising along. Saw a red Challenger Hellcat Redeye widebody.    Trax running fine.  Tired, stopped early near Beaufort, SC.

Edited by Robert Hall

Yesterday on Day 3 of my impromptu road trip didn't see too much that was interesting, even though the weather was perfect--sunny, dry and warm, though Februrary.   Did spot what appeared to be an aqua and white two-tone '57 Ford Skyliner in the woods along I-95 in SC.   Saw a clean white and yellow Nash Metropolitan driving along a frontage road off I-26 in SC when I grabbed some lunch at a Zaxby's (pretty tasty chicken sandwich).    Did see a number of sharp modern Chargers, Challengers, 300s, Mustangs, the occasional Camaro (saw more 5th than 6th gens).   Though most of the traffic was CUVs, SUVs, and trucks...was planning to stop for the night in Charleston, WV but had a burst of energy and pushed on to home..

Today been catching up on rest at home, and it got up to almost 60 degrees!  Sunny, blue sky..not what I'm used to in February in Cleveland. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

I spy some old american iron on my walk home today. 

20200204_150847.jpg

20200204_151340.jpg

Row of four 2020 Encore GX in various trim levels at a local dealer.  Most expensive one in the row has an MSRP of $36k, cheapest is $28k, all with AWD.  Buick's trim levels are confusing... "Select", "Essence", "Preferred", what a load of malarkey.

I think the exterior looks really good (Azure and orange paint colors, visual tricks to widen the look), but the lower trim interior is boring as heck in black, relying on one swath of eye-catching trim across the top of the dash to brighten it.  The upholstery is as featureless as possible.  Kia Seltos has a much more interesting interior than the Buick Encore GX, imo.  Sad to say.

• Upvote 1

$36k for a subcompact w/ a 3-cyl.  That's pretty effed up...

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

$36k for a subcompact w/ a 3-cyl.  That's pretty effed up...

Right especially when you can get other brands with 4 banger or V6. It really is messed up.

Dropped my son off after a day of skiing at his townhouse and his neighbor had taken out of his garage a very cherry Mustang.

20200209_133358.jpg

• Upvote 1

This showed up at my buddy's shop over the weekend, has a tired Chevver 350, looking for a big block / manual upgrade. Not sure if that's going to be Pontiac or Chevy-power.
No it's not; it's a LeMans Tempest.

IMG_1119.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, a very rare 5.3L V8 extended length Trailblazer LT.

20200211_145134.jpg

Cracking up over this ford.

20200216_144833.jpg

• Haha 2

Day off so out running errands this afternoon.  Sunny and 46.  Saw an eclectic mix...dark red 87-90 Caprice sedan in good shape that I’ve seen before.  Saw a clean white w tan top 77 Caddy Sedan de Ville w a custom chrome grille.  Saw a derelict ‘61 Ford Falcon 4dr in traffic, a tri-color of gray primer, matte black and rust.   Saw a pale green early 90s XJ Cherokee with Forest Ranger lettering and door shields.   Wasn’t sure if it was county, state or federal..but is something that old still in official use?   And went by the City of Parma office building and sure enough they still have their early ‘00s Bonnevilles...

On 2/10/2020 at 7:22 PM, balthazar said:

This showed up at my buddy's shop over the weekend, has a tired Chevver 350, looking for a big block / manual upgrade. Not sure if that's going to be Pontiac or Chevy-power.
No it's not; it's a LeMans Tempest.

IMG_1119.jpg

I'm against clones.  I am for restoration to original, except for suspension and brakes, which I think can be done for safety sake.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

^ Says the guy who frantically rips the chin spoilers off every vehicle he buys. ;)

Seriously, there's no way to pass this off as an original. The VIN doesn't match the data plate (23567 vs. 23767), so there's another red flag.
With Judge converts being so incredibly rare / expensive, I can see a case where someone, with merely paint/ a spoiler/ decals can 'obtain' something he might never otherwise.

This Judge convertible clone is for sale for $48k...has a 428.  I like the green.   I like this dark red '69 LeMans convertible. 

12803955-1969-pontiac-lemans-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg

f0fc855b60137c279b5ba555f08a6274.jpg

• Upvote 1

428 is a rare, killer engine in the sweet spot of bore-stroke ratio. Makes fantastic power when built. I believe they were all 4-bolt main.

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Says the guy who frantically rips the chin spoilers off every vehicle he buys. ;)

Yes but that is not cloning.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

‘77. Lettering in back windo read “screw your ‘new car’ smell, we’ve got ‘old corpse’ smell” 

0170F2EA-479D-4819-8ADD-3A1CA8241217.jpeg

‘53 Super or Roadmaster ~ 

4E729B50-18A1-4E18-8FAA-498444A8173B.jpeg

• Haha 1

Saw this clean ‘69 Cutlass in a driveway in my neighborhood this afternoon. 

449DA82D-1DA0-47C5-8597-AD09628E6FCF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:38 AM, ocnblu said:

Yes but that is not cloning.

Got it, so you will not allow yourself to be cloned. :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Got it, so you will not allow yourself to be cloned. :thumbsup:

Right.  It's in my C&G contract.

• Haha 1

I saw a similar Nissan today. White with a similar stripe. It didnt say Micra on it, just a solid black stripe with a smaller red one alongside it. It even had the same red side mirrors.   It looked good that I took two glances to see it well.

Image result for 2016 nissan micra nismo windscreen decal stripe

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I dont mind clone versions of top level muscle cars or any model car for that matter.

Sometimes, the top trim level of a model looks better than the lesser model so he/she who wants to put all his/her time and money on HIS/HER build, its HIS/HER money and HIS/HER time and effort so they could do the hell they want with THEIR project car. Especially  as more and more numbers matching classics are becoming more and more rarer, and when one restores a classic with new vintage parts as the old original parts are so far gone with rust or impossible to repair dents and when the old big block is tired and rebuilding may not be a viable economical answer and engine swapping is necessary.

I got a problem with a clone version being sold to someone on the premise that its an original.  THAT would be FRAUD. If the seller states that its a clone, then Im all good. 

Sometimes though, to be more different, the lesser trim model looks to be more unique as most project cars all go fopr that same cloned look. 

12803955-1969-pontiac-lemans-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg  f0fc855b60137c279b5ba555f08a6274.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the 1969 GTO especially in The Judge clothing...but...BECAUSE there are SOOOOOO many The Judge clones out there, that burgundy LeMans is truly the most interesting between the two. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1