William Maley

2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Features A Solar Roof: Comments

43 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Keep delusion-ally telling yourself how you love it there. Being born here, the one thing you always do is put 6500K lights in your house so you have sun equal lighting. Never a dull depressed day. Love the drizzle 9 months of the year and the 3 months of summer that is 70-80's, no humidty and sunny.

HA!! Keep delusion-ally telling yourself it's "drizzle" LMAO! Born and raised up there trust me it's RAIN then POURING DOWN RAIN not much else! Sad to have to install artificial lighting to keep you from being depressed in an area of the country with the Highest level of seasonal depression, that being the PNW, then maybe 2 months of Summer, if you're lucky July and August. Remember I grew-up there working on a farm in the constant cold and rain so I know first hand what the weather is like, ALWAYS cold and wet.

FYI, we had more snow in Northern AZ than the rest of the country in December (look it up) so we have it all here in one State not just rain, snow and ice and no way to get away from it, if I want to go skiing up North or be in the snow I can, but I'm not forced to live in an Arctic hell. :D  Feel free to come defrost anytime, my family still living in OR does often.

37 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Glad you like it there, pretty pics, but still too warm for me. Anything over 60 is bloody hot. If I could do my job from Alaska, I would move there. :D 

60 is freezing to me 😂 80 is perfect to each their own. Funny because my aunt and uncle who live on the Kenai Pennisula have a house here in AZ as well to come defrost. My parents still living in Oregon have a home here as well :D

Edited by USA-1

4 hours ago, USA-1 said:

HA!! Keep delusion-ally telling yourself it's "drizzle" LMAO! Born and raised up there trust me it's RAIN then POURING DOWN RAIN not much else! Sad to have to install artificial lighting to keep you from being depressed in an area of the country with the Highest level of seasonal depression, that being the PNW, then maybe 2 months of Summer, if you're lucky July and August. Remember I grew-up there working on a farm in the constant cold and rain so I know first hand what the weather is like, ALWAYS cold and wet.

FYI, we had more snow in Northern AZ than the rest of the country in December (look it up) so we have it all here in one State not just rain, snow and ice and no way to get away from it, if I want to go skiing up North or be in the snow I can, but I'm not forced to live in an Arctic hell. :D  Feel free to come defrost anytime, my family still living in OR does often.

60 is freezing to me 😂 80 is perfect to each their own. Funny because my aunt and uncle who live on the Kenai Pennisula have a house here in AZ as well to come defrost. My parents still living in Oregon have a home here as well :D

:roflmao: So growing up in Oregon then explains allot as you where either a Duck or Beaver fan and your right Oregon gets Rain, Washington gets rain but allot of drizzle.

FYI, Snow fall averages by state show AZ with less than 5 inches a year compared to Washington with almost 16. http://www.usa.com/rank/us--average-snow--state-rank.htm

Just to also set the record straight, Washington leads the Nation in recorded snow fall at our Ski Resorts. Mt. Baker leads the way with 701" average. That is 58 feet and 5 inches of snowfall. Like metric, 1,780.54 cm or 17.8 meters of snow. AZ seems to be missing from this list of most snow fall..............

image.png

Your right on one thing, do not have to have sun equal lights, but with the cloud cover it does end up darker more often than sunny. No depression in my household or family lines, but we do like to see what we are reading, eating, etc. Plus as one that enjoys having people over for Korean BBQ dinners and wine drinking, I like to have a warm, cheerful household for others to visit. Thinking of everyone else in wanting them to have an enjoyable time. Plus the 6500K led bulbs are dirt chip at Costco and pretty much will last forever, far better than the old incandescent bulbs which burn out so often.

Glad you love your sun and heat, more for you and more cold for me. Sitting here in shorts and a tshirt with snow in the mountains and cold rain here, 39 degrees. Loving it!!!! :D 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:roflmao: So growing up in Oregon then explains allot as you where either a Duck or Beaver fan and your right Oregon gets Rain, Washington gets rain but allot of drizzle.

FYI, Snow fall averages by state show AZ with less than 5 inches a year compared to Washington with almost 16.

Your right on one thing, do not have to have sun equal lights, but with the cloud cover it does end up darker more often than sunny. No depression in my household or family lines, but we do like to see what we are reading, eating, etc.

Glad you love your sun and heat, more for you and more cold for me. Sitting here in shorts and a tshirt with snow in the mountains and cold rain here, 39 degrees. Loving it!!!! :D 

Oh Oregon gets drizzle on the coast and Washington doesn't really have a defined coastline so yeah it's a little different, but being 3 hour drive North it's not much. It's also consistently 6 - 8 degrees warmer in Oregon so there's that too. :D

For the record I said for December AZ had more snow than the rest of the country at that time not at this time, but we'll have a much higher average for AZ than the current average snowfall from the list you were looking at from past years. I know Lake Tahoe and Colorado as well as the PNW and other areas OBVIOUSLY get WAY more snow than AZ, but in Dec. we were getting hammered with snow in Northern AZ at Snowbowl Ski Resort (52" base right now) it was abnormally cold during Christmas too, low 50's instead of mid 60's in The Valley (Phx Metro for you tourists lol). Yeah, we have LED lights here too LOL but we don't need ponchos to eat outside 9 mos. out of the year either :roflmao:

You're certifiable crazy dressed like that in 39 degree weather! 🥶 We laugh at tourists like you that come here this time of year wearing shorts and T-shirts when 50 degrees out 😂

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Oh Oregon gets drizzle on the coast and Washington doesn't really have a defined coastline so yeah it's a little different, but being 3 hour drive North it's not much. It's also consistently 6 - 8 degrees warmer in Oregon so there's that too. :D

For the record I said for December AZ had more snow than the rest of the country at that time not at this time, but we'll have a much higher average for AZ than the current average snowfall from the list you were looking at from past years. I know Lake Tahoe and Colorado as well as the PNW and other areas OBVIOUSLY get WAY more snow than AZ, but in Dec. we were getting hammered with snow in Northern AZ at Snowbowl Ski Resort (52" base right now) it was abnormally cold during Christmas too, low 50's instead of mid 60's in The Valley (Phx Metro for you tourists lol). Yeah, we have LED lights here too LOL but we don't need ponchos to eat outside 9 mos. out of the year either :roflmao:

You're certifiable crazy dressed like that in 39 degree weather! 🥶 We laugh at tourists like you that come here this time of year wearing shorts and T-shirts when 50 degrees out 😂

Maybe my friend you need to workout more, bulk up so you can handle that cool nice moist air! :P 

FYI Stevens where I ski has a base of 108" as of today. Baker has a base of 165" today. Season is so young, lots of months left to ski. :D 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Maybe my friend you need to workout more, bulk up so you can handle that cool nice moist air! :P 

FYI Stevens where I ski has a base of 108" as of today. Baker has a base of 165" today. Season is so young, lots of months left to ski. :D 

I'll show you bulk 😁

Good base less exposed rocks for you to hit, you don't need more damage 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, USA-1 said:

I'll show you bulk 😁

Good base less exposed rocks for you to hit, you don't need more damage 🤣

Remember, I am 6'6" 280lbs and I workout daily. right now 20% body fat, working to get back to my competition days of 15%. I hit hard when I fly down the mountain, my bulk might bruise you my friend! :roflmao:

• Haha 2

Just now, dfelt said:

Remember, I am 6'6" 280lbs and I workout daily. right now 20% body fat, working to get back to my competition days of 15%. I hit hard when I fly down the mountain, my bulk might bruise you my friend! :roflmao:

Right and I'm 6'3" 240 and hit the gym 5 days a week, not intimidated my friend. Know any martial arts? I do. :D

4 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Right and I'm 6'3" 240 and hit the gym 5 days a week, not intimidated my friend. Know any martial arts? I do. :D

Very Cool, trained in Muay Thai

Train weekly with my son. After all we are in the era of Mixed martial arts and UFC! :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Train weekly with my son. After all we are in the era of Mixed martial arts and UFC! :D 

Nice!

Taekwondo Jun Hook Dee :D

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Glad you like it there, pretty pics, but still too warm for me. Anything over 60 is bloody hot. If I could do my job from Alaska, I would move there. :D 

I'd be happy with a climate where the temps ranged from 55-75 with about 20% humidity.   Some sun is ok, but I don't like continuous sun.

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

I have you beat on the body fat...I think I'm around 35%.   6'0" 240lbs, never work out.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd be happy with a climate where the temps ranged from 55-75 with about 20% humidity.   Some sun is ok, but I don't like continuous sun.

I have you beat on the body fat...I think I'm around 35%.   6'0" 240lbs, never work out.  

Robert your always welcome to move to Seattle. You would fit right in, temp range is very common here, snow is only a few days a year, rest stays where it belongs, in the mountains.

September 1 2018 I decided to make some changes in my life and went back to my old body building focus days. At that time my tank test and bone density test came out at 35% body fat which is way too high for me but lucky my bone density is higher than normal, was 1.4 on the 0 to 2 scale. Average bone density for most 50 year olds is a .7 to .8 as men hit their max bone density in their late 20's. You can always get some back by weight lifting and drinking / eating dairy which is very important in our later years. So retested just recently to check in on my body fat. Bone density only needs to be done every 10 years they say once you hit 50. Good way to know if you will end up stooped over and using a walker or standing tall.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I know I need to get in better shape...too much sitting on my butt.  And I'll be 50 in four months...

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I know I need to get in better shape...too much sitting on my butt.  And I'll be 50 in four months...

You can do it my friend, I believe everyone can. Not sure if you have them there local, but there is a company here that is called Orange Theory fitness. My daughter has never been one to like working out and there she has stuck with it now for 1 1/2 years and likes the group workouts and social and has lost noticeable weight.

https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/

Highly recommend this kind of program for those that are not inclined to push themselves to a gym. Good luck my friend with your physical fitness challenge.

Looks like they have multiple in your area according to their location search for Cleveland Ohio.

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

You can do it my friend, I believe everyone can. Not sure if you have them there local, but there is a company here that is called Orange Theory fitness. My daughter has never been one to like working out and there she has stuck with it now for 1 1/2 years and likes the group workouts and social and has lost noticeable weight.

https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/

Highly recommend this kind of program for those that are not inclined to push themselves to a gym. Good luck my friend with your physical fitness challenge.

Looks like they have multiple in your area according to their location search for Cleveland Ohio.

Orange Theory is a pretty hardcore cardio class. My gf does it, she loves it.

After going wildly off-topic (my bad), any other thoughts on this new Sonata Hybrid?  it's a good looking sedan, much better than the original Sonata Hybrid a couple generations back--that one had a hideous front end. 

• Upvote 1

Styling-wise, its both random & generic. Nose looks really bulbous.

2 miles of range after a full 6 hrs of sunlight is staggeringly pointless.

So is the smaht pahk feature. Feels like hyundai is going down a rabbit hole of irrevelence.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

any other thoughts on this new Sonata Hybrid?

I like...umm... the smaht pahk commercial???

The C Pillar and profile is toooooo much like the Chevy Malibu for me to give a shyte about the Sonata.

The whole damned car just looks like it could be a possible badged version of a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick...

Image result for hyundai sonata 2020

Image result for Chevy M<alibu side profile

I wouldnt have minded the Sonata if it WERE a GM badge engineered version of the Malibu branded as a Pontiac/Olds/Buick. It is as good looking as that Malibu is. (Or had it been 100% Hyundai's design efforts).  Which is not bad actually as far as medium sized family haulers go. But to blatantly mimic a design that is 5 years old already that is also being suggested that GM will kill off the Malibu just seems to be lazy design work for Hyundai. And NOT acceptable. 

Edited by oldshurst442

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I like...umm... the smaht pahk commercial???

The C Pillar and profile is toooooo much like the Chevy Malibu for me to give a shyte about the Sonata.

The whole damned car just looks like it could be a possible badged version of a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick...

Image result for hyundai sonata 2020

I wouldnt have minded the Sonata if it WERE a GM badge engineered version of the Malibu branded as a Pontiac/Olds/Buick.   

At least Hyundai and Kia are still making sedans, unlike GM...  I like the rear, esp. the taillights...front is interesting...

Sedans are dying off, people don’t want them anymore. Everything that can be done basically has been, but it’s not stopping the sales slide. Sonata I believe has fallen well off it’s peak, and this effort isn’t going to move the needle the other way.

EDIT :: 2011-2012 : 226-230K

2019 : 87K

Malibu sold 120K in ‘19.

Sonata will be 💀 sooner rather than later.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

At least Hyundai and Kia are still making sedans, unlike GM...  I like the rear, esp. the taillights...front is interesting...

Touché, pushee catte.

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sedans are dying off, people don’t want them anymore. Everything that can be done basically has been, but it’s not stopping the sales slide. Sonata I believe has fallen well off it’s peak, and this effort isn’t going to move the needle the other way.

But then...there is that...

But then again, Hyundai could have at least done their own spin on things...its not as if the Malibu is at the top of the sales charts in their segment. The Camry, Accord and Fusion are on top and all three more or less have there own style going on.  (loosely and arguably...)

Nissan...Nissan is doing there own thing also with the Maxima/Altima and the Sentra (which now looks like a smaller version of the Maxima) which I like better than what Hyundai has done with the Sonata. I may be the only one to think that...and I understand what Ive just said as Nissan I believe sells even less than what Chevy sells with the Impala and Malibu. 

I dont expect Hyundai to reinvent the segment, but at least TRY to be original.

Image result for 2013 sonataç

Horrific front end or not, that gen Sonata launched Hyundai in this segment as a true player. It also started the 4 door coupe styling for family cars. OK...it might have helped to kill off the segment too by unsuspectingly leading more people into buying CUVs, but at least it was original FORCING Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota to copy THAT very style. 2 generations and 7 years later, for the Sonata, and  Hyundai seems lost in what styling they need to go with the Sonata.  The gen in between was boring, stale. This new gen has more elegant styling flair, but too bad it closely resembles a dying GM design...  

Edited by oldshurst442

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's a bleak view...It's good to see some companies keeping up the fight, though...fighting against the dying of the light... a market with only CUVs and trucks would be pretty boring.

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont expect Hyundai to reinvent the segment, but at least TRY to be original.

Image result for 2013 sonataç

Horrific front end or not, that gen Sonata launched Hyundai in this segment as a true player.  

The regular Sonata of that generation had a decent front end, it was the Hybrid that was horrific, IMO:

2012_hyundai_sonata-hybrid_sedan_base_fq_oem_5_500.jpg

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That's a bleak view...It's good to see some companies keeping up the fight, though...fighting against the dying of the light... a market with only CUVs and trucks would be pretty boring.

The regular Sonata of that generation had a decent front end, it was the Hybrid that was horrific, IMO:

2012_hyundai_sonata-hybrid_sedan_base_fq_oem_5_500.jpg

That is God awful ugly.  Swear words (as in...that is phoquing ugly) wont do justice in expressing how ugly that is. Id rather be seen in the ugliness of European luxury CUV/SUVs than this horrific thing.  (high end badging and posh interiors aside) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is God awful ugly.  Swear words (as in...that is phoquing ugly) wont do justice in expressing how ugly that is. Id rather be seen in the ugliness of European luxury CUV/SUVs than this horrific thing.  (high end badging and posh interiors aside) 

A friend said it looked like an evil fish.

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2020 at 11:45 PM, dfelt said:

Train weekly with my son.

Awesome that you train with your son!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 11:45 PM, dfelt said:

After all we are in the era of Mixed martial arts and UFC! :D 

Ummmmm...like most things in today's western pop culture...things got to a start in the awesome 1980s!!! (with martial arts...a spark from the late 1960s and 1970s perhaps?)  

And into the 1990s...

Today's UFC does not resemble what was once a 1980s/1990s movie fantasy, but yeah!!!  

Image result for 1980s karate arcade game

Sorry that I derailed the thread.   NOT!!!

• Haha 2