2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Features A Solar Roof: Comments

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That's a bleak view...It's good to see some companies keeping up the fight, though...fighting against the dying of the light... a market with only CUVs and trucks would be pretty boring.

That’s not ‘bleak’; its reality. Can’t recall a sharper decline in such a short period in an automotive segment ever. 230K to 87K in 7 years?!?

As far as CUVs being boring, so are family sedans.

Trucks, at least, are interesting. SO much variety/customization.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

That’s not ‘bleak’; its reality. Can’t recall a sharper decline in such a short period in an automotive segment ever. 230K to 87K in 7 years?!?

As far as CUVs being boring, so are family sedans.

Trucks, at least, are interesting. SO much variety/customization.

Sadly while most auto companies will kill off their cars, I suspect that Toyota Lemmings will keep their cars going and we will have the blah ugly Toyo cars for ever. :( 

I will give Hyundai credit for taking a risk and making this car. Lots of reasons to just kill them off, but they went ahead and built it still.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, oldshurst442 said:

The C Pillar and profile is toooooo much like the Chevy Malibu for me to give a shyte about the Sonata.

The whole damned car just looks like it could be a possible badged version of a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick...

Image result for hyundai sonata 2020

Image result for Chevy M<alibu side profile

I wouldnt have minded the Sonata if it WERE a GM badge engineered version of the Malibu branded as a Pontiac/Olds/Buick. It is as good looking as that Malibu is. (Or had it been 100% Hyundai's design efforts).  Which is not bad actually as far as medium sized family haulers go. But to blatantly mimic a design that is 5 years old already that is also being suggested that GM will kill off the Malibu just seems to be lazy design work for Hyundai. And NOT acceptable.

That's been Hyundai's thing for a while now. They used to have their own style with the "Fluid Design Language" 10 years ago, but now R&D takes a backseat to advertising. Hyun is pretty big in Pro sports now, they spend a huge chunk of cash with the NFL sponsorship and pretty sure they spent quite a bit more on commercials than any other auto manf. in the Superbowl this year. Just saw an ad the other day that they will pay you 40 bucks to go take a test drive of one of their new cars. All you see is Hyundai ads constantly in your face, like they want to make some people surrender, "Ok, ok I'll go look and drive one of your d@mn cars for 40 bucks just leave me alone!" :D

Edited by USA-1