Jump to content

The Big Green Land Yacht | Reptile Skin Trim Package | 1970's Luxury Cars


Recommended Posts

Visions of The Love Boat, Quincy, The 6 Million Dollar Man and several others come flooding to my memory banks.

Man, I miss these kinds of cars. 

I love the exterior colours too, that also match the interior colours.

Two tone green!!!   Green vinyls and leathers!!!

Creamy Beige???!!!  I never would have thought that Id be lusting over that exterior colour for a car...

But I did as a child and being an almost middle aged dude in 2020 with the dull colour choices we have today...Im wishing we as a society could stop taking ourselves sooooo phoquing serious anymore and start enjoying life again...the way we did back then!!!

It seems in the last decade...we have become very sombre...

 

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Padded vinyl headlight doors???

Count me WWAAYY out.

Maybe this was customized on Pimp my Ride! :P 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes...padded everything vinyl.

padded vinyl roofs, padded vinyl headlight doors,  padded vinyl door interiors,   exterior body coloured vinyl steering wheels. Not so great stuff, but man...the '70s had a style that was not boring, at least!!!

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the only place where 70's luxo-barges shine; dey gots cubes.

Challenger SRT 1320 vs. full-weight '70 Electra coupe on nearly cold tires (with a Stage 2 455 engine):

No times, but person there confirmed the Buick won handily.
SRT 1320 stock does 11.7 in the quarter.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Visions of The Love Boat, Quincy, The 6 Million Dollar Man and several others come flooding to my memory banks.

Man, I miss these kinds of cars. 

I love the exterior colours too, that also match the interior colours.

Two tone green!!!   Green vinyls and leathers!!!

Creamy Beige???!!!  I never would have thought that Id be lusting over that exterior colour for a car...

But I did as a child and being an almost middle aged dude in 2020 with the dull colour choices we have today...Im wishing we as a society could stop taking ourselves sooooo phoquing serious anymore and start enjoying life again...the way we did back then!!!

It seems in the last decade...we have become very sombre...

 

 

Ya, too many black, gray, silver and white vehicles with despair gray interiors these days.  The malaise era cars may have had huge bumpers, poor gas mileage and low power V8s, but they were heavy and had COLOR and oozed style.   Love ‘em.  The cars of my childhood memories... watching shows like Police Story, Hawaii Five-O, Rockford Files, ChiPs, Soul Train, Solid Gold...and love a lot of music from then..Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc...could blather on and on about 70s stuff I like....

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ninety-Eight, you don't know what you've done for me.  Seeing that majestic New Yorker Brougham has made my day.  My Grandfather's '77 NYB was bronze with off-white vinyl top and black velour interior.  GREAT CAR.

Coincidentally with the Mercury in the same video, my uncle took that Chrysler on a cross country road trip with his wife and another couple in 1978.  Friends were driving a Ford LTD Brougham coupe with 460.  Uncle said the Chrysler destroyed the Ford out there on the plains at high speed.  The Ford's cooling system could not keep up, and it kept overheating, while the Chrysler (a driver's car!) just ate up the miles in torsion-aire comfort and style.  Uncle was/is a diehard Ford guy, but he had to give the Mighty Chrysler its due.  This is what America USED TO BE about.

Thanks so much for posting!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Tang, polyester corduroy pants, 8-in wide ties, Fat Elvis, disco, pop rocks... all just 'wonderful' style & substance.

Disco and pop rock...I love that.  The music of the '70s was great.  Different from the '50s and '60s. Different from the '80s, but the musical explosion that happened in the '80s was thanks  in part  of what experimental sounds that happened in the '70s.   

Pop culture of the '70s was fun. We are still talking about it today.  Star Wars. Aliens. Jaws with Shark Week...   KISS.  

Fashion was a huge let down.

But as far as the automobile goes, the '70s just continued on with the American tradition that started in the '50s. 

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Tang, polyester corduroy pants, 8-in wide ties, Fat Elvis, disco, pop rocks... all just 'wonderful' style & substance.

And 8-tracks.  There were some negatives.  For nostalgia, I'm more into the 80s pop culture as a whole, but there is plenty from the 70s I appreciate... 

21 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Disco and pop rock...I love that.  The music of the '70s was great.  Different from the '50s and '60s. Different from the '80s, but the musical explosion that happened in the '80s was thanks  in part  of what experimental sounds that happened in the '70s.   

 

 

Prog rock, punk rock, glam rock, New Wave...lots of good stuff came out of the 70s.    And the continuation of lower-longer-wider w/ cars.   

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE to the '70 Electra coupe above:
Has a stroker 455 (482 CI), has run a best of 11.42 @ 118.
Super minty clean (but boring) design, the key is twisting people's heads off when it moves like it does.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

UPDATE to the '70 Electra coupe above:
Has a stroker 455 (482 CI), has run a best of 11.42 @ 118.
Super minty clean (but boring) design, the key is twisting people's heads off when it moves like it does.

Must have a lot of torque to move a heavy car that fast.   Wowza

Link to post
Share on other sites

BBB [Big Block Buick] power. 510 factory in the Stage 1, prolly 650 here.

Looked up the weight and it was less than I expected. Base Electra coupe, no options was 4230-ish... or about 200 LESS than the SRT.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

BBB [Big Block Buick] power. 510 factory in the Stage 1, prolly 650 here.

Looked up the weight and it was less than I expected. Base Electra coupe, no options was 4230-ish... or about 200 LESS than the SRT.

Less weight than a Tesla S, Gonna wonder not if but when Buick will reuse the Elctra name on an EV.

Yes I know you hate that idea, but GM is going back to names and I think for the US market, they will want to use names even if it goes on a CUV.

Current Buick EV/PHEV/REEV lineup.

image.png

https://wattev2buy.com/electric-vehicles/buick-ev-models-buick-electric-car-strategy/

I really do like the Buick Enspire CUV.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/18/buick-all-electric-vehicle-concept/

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, balthazar said:

BBB [Big Block Buick] power. 510 factory in the Stage 1, prolly 650 here.

Looked up the weight and it was less than I expected. Base Electra coupe, no options was 4230-ish... or about 200 LESS than the SRT.

Wow..I figured the weight was more like 4500-4800lbs. 

Of those 70s megabeast Buicks one of my favorites is the '75-76 Electra 225s...love the front and rear styling.

 

4fedb14191b5342f81340d5a2c6b00ac.jpg

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical Electra is very likely around 4400-4500 with options, still only then equaling the SRT's weight. Kinda amazing, but spools of wire and 100 sensors REALLY adds on the pounds.
- - - - -
GM Styling kinda 'moved off' of the full-size cars to concentrate on the intermediates right around '68. As a result, a case can be made that the subsequent big cars homogenized and -as a group- moved closer to the Cadillac aesthetic. Both Olds & Buick gained Cadillac-esque vertical chromed elements out back in this period, but I wish they had 'kept on their respective lawns'.

Growing up around/immediately after this era car never endeared them to me. They have stylistic elements that are clear compromises that never would've been the norm 10 years earlier. On auto pilot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Typical Electra is very likely around 4400-4500 with options, still only then equaling the SRT's weight. Kinda amazing, but spools of wire and 100 sensors REALLY adds on the pounds.
- - - - -
GM Styling kinda 'moved off' of the full-size cars to concentrate on the intermediates right around '68. As a result, a case can be made that the subsequent big cars homogenized and -as a group- moved closer to the Cadillac aesthetic. Both Olds & Buick gained Cadillac-esque vertical chromed elements out back in this period, but I wish they had 'kept on their respective lawns'.

Growing up around/immediately after this era car never endeared them to me. They have stylistic elements that are clear compromises that never would've been the norm 10 years earlier. On auto pilot.

Thank you Yoda of old for this info, very interesting.

GM says that their BEV3 platform is already in base form 400lbs lighter than what was used for the BOLT. As such, I can actually see an EV version of an Electra that is in the same weight range as the ICE version. I was amazed to see that the P100D Tesla S sedan is 4,941 lbs. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Stop saying that.

Yet you know it will end up happening. Cadillac is going back to names for the EVs and as such that would imply we will have EVs of Brougham, Eldorado, etc.

Why would Buick not use names, EVs of Electra, Skylark, Century, Super, Roadmaster, Riviera etc.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

 I was amazed to see that the P100D Tesla S sedan is 4,941 lbs. 

Wow....heavy.  My Jeep is supposedly 4746lbs, surprised it is so light. Though other sources list it at a more reasonable 4965lbs. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...