NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The Big Green Land Yacht | Reptile Skin Trim Package | 1970's Luxury Cars

How is 4750 “light’”??

With the 1000 lbs of plastics and all the aluminum, it should weigh 3300.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

How is 4750 “light’”??

Cumbersome battery drags it into pig territory.  I wish I could give many more than just one downvote to the EV talk in a thread that started out positively. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

They have stylistic elements that are clear compromises that never would've been the norm 10 years earlier. On auto pilot.

I read your entire post.   I pandered to what you have said.  About GM putting more energy on their mid-sized offerings and letting go of their fullsized a tad...

I could see what you are saying after really visualizing GM's fullsized offerings during this time.  I experienced these cars as a kid. In 1979 I was 6 years old....therefore, rosy coloured glasses on top of being too young to actually see the missteps.

I could only agree with your stance as I understand fully what you are saying and I see it too.   But I still wont see you through 100%...

Why?

Image result for rose coloured glasses

Id like to keep the magic of those  big 1970s American land yachts alive!!!  Kinda like XMAS.  I know there is no Santa. But the magic of XMAS is still alive in my heart..year after year. 

I was in HS in the early '80s, so '70s stuff clogged the roads then. All our parents had '70s-80s stuff.
We as teens didn't want what our parents had. Malaise & mediocrity. And slow.

'60s and even '50s stuff was not uncommon. My gang of friends all ran '60s iron- they were cheap to buy, cheap to repair/modify & cheap to operate. '68 & '67 Caddys, '68 Catalina, '53 Merc, '59 Poncho, '64 Poncho, '57 Chev, '63 Catalina, '65 Catalina, '65 Corvair, '63 Custom 300, '67 Chevelle, '69 Firebird... just a sampling of the 'our gang' cars in the '80s. I picked up one '64 in '86 and another in '91. We collectively sucked the tri-township area dry.

These cars were solid, well-built and obviously had longevity. The vinyl rub strips and plastic bumper fillers which soon fell off/out of '70s/80s stuff, the paper-thin bumpers which vaporized right off all those '70s Cutlasses, the flaking clear-coat... these '70s issues weren't there on the '60s iron.

38 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Cumbersome battery drags it into pig territory.  I wish I could give many more than just one downvote to the EV talk in a thread that started out positively. 

The 4750 lb reference was to Robert's Jeep (Internal Combustion).

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

How is 4750 “light’”??

3300 would be subcompact CUV weight.  A midsize 2 row SUV should be close to 5000lbs.  

Edited by Robert Hall

31 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I was in HS in the early '80s, so '70s stuff clogged the roads then. All our parents had '70s-80s stuff.
We as teens didn't want what our parents had. Malaise & mediocrity. And slow.

'60s and even '50s stuff was not uncommon. My gang of friends all ran '60s iron- they were cheap to buy, cheap to repair/modify & cheap to operate. '68 & '67 Caddys, '68 Catalina, '53 Merc, '59 Poncho, '64 Poncho, '57 Chev, '63 Catalina, '65 Catalina, '65 Corvair, '63 Custom 300, '67 Chevelle, '69 Firebird... just a sampling of the 'our gang' cars in the '80s. I picked up one '64 in '86 and another in '91. We collectively sucked the tri-township area dry.

Alas, when I was in high school in the mid to late 80s the 60s iron was rusted out and gone...cars still on the road from then were worn out.  (Both in salty NE Ohio and salt air S Florida).  Many kids of my class in high school had recent or new cars—lots of late 70s-early B- and C-bodies, G-body GM coupes, F-bodies and Fox Mustangs. Though I had a buddy with a ‘65 Coupe de Ville and another w a ‘68 Mustang coupe.  

A few years later in college in NE Ohio a couple memorable old cars of goth math major friends—a white rusty ‘64 Electra 6 window 4dr and a white rusty 67 Olds Delmont 88 4dr.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

By the time I was a teenager in the 1980s, there were virtually NO 1960s cars on Montreal roads.  I didnt recognize/dont remember the 1960s cars that were on the roads by the time the 1970s rolled along as a kid. I did however acknowledge the 1970s iron.  By the time the 1980s rolled along, by the mid 1980s, very little 1970s iron was roaming our streets.  

So...Balthy, I could see your POV a little more regarding the build quality of the 1970s cars...

But then again...cars rusted/rust big time in the North East (concerning Montreal) when every other day starting in November and ending in April, (yes...back then...it snowed  more often and we had more icy conditions) salt was being drizzled around  like nothing to melt the snow and ice.   Multiple coats of rust proofing paint and rust preventing techniques on the metal had not been invented yet.  

In fact, Quebec cars still rust fast. Better than it was, but cars dont last too long up here. (Ive mentioned this before)  

• Upvote 2

I remember how quickly cars rusted out in NE Ohio in the late 70s.  I had a teacher w a ‘75 Road Runner in elementary school and by 1979-1980 it was rusted out...rockers, rear quarters, bottoms of the doors...I remember he had red coffee can lids for taillight lenses. 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Should.  I like hefty SUVs.  

"Hefty" is relative.
'Progress' (and lighter/inferior materials) should have them weighing LESS than they did 25 years ago, not a half ton more. At this rate a Tahoe might be 9000 lbs by 2035 (barring the 12000 lb EV variant).
I don't really care, but my CC/StandardBed 2500 is right about 6500 - that's  definitely 'heavy'. But there's no reason a SUV should be 4800; 4000 would have numerous benefits.

Well, more safety equipment and content, larger wheels and tires than 25 years ago.  And a GC of today is bigger than 25 years ago. 4 generations of evolution..

Now, imagine taking out the magnificent sound of the engine.  It goes from great fun to extreme boredom, even with all the other sounds left intact.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Now, imagine taking out the magnificent sound of the engine.  It goes from great fun to extreme boredom, even with all the other sounds left intact.

I could imagine...and Ive tried to answer your post 2 different ways  only to not post them and decided to just let it be.

I did come to a conclusion though. One that is in disagreement with your POV.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The car in that video sounds kind of redneck, though...a Buick Electra should be quiet and refined... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

^ You can muffle yours anyway you like.
Early Buick GSs weren't necessarily quiet.
Me; I think a low rumble than can morph into a healthy growl is dead sexy.

• Like 1

This Buick Electra 225 is sure quite for such a big engine! 430 - 4

This one has the 455 - 4 and is still very quiet compared to the Redneck version above.

Like the 69 2 door convertible over the 4 door 70.

• Upvote 1

Sexy 1960 Buick Electra very Silent! I would rather hear my music than the motor, those were my younger years. LOL :P 

• Upvote 1

It's all about the reality context...in a muscle car like a '70 Buick GSX, yeah I'd want to hear a rumbly V8 and muscle car noises.  Rumble rumble rrrr rrrrr and rock 'n roll... In a luxury cruiser like an Electra I'd want smooth and silent with a powerful stereo system to listen to classical music.     Muscle cars and cruisers are different genres.   

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bah; the best is a sublime combo of the two. Most modern Luxury cars do both well.
Trying to pigeonhole a car into a singular ‘theme’ seldom works for production vehicles.

My B-59 is not what I would call a luxury car- mid-line series with few creature comforts. It’s going to be much closer to a (quicker) GS 455 than a cushmobile isolation barge. I’m not 75 yrs old.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

sure quite

Not sure what this means

It's the great surprise of the rumble in a sedate package that adds a whole dimension to the experience.  A wonderful noise.

• Downvote 1