The Oldsmobile Silhouette Was a Really Weird Luxury Minivan

Concept had so much potential, but the rebadging clones sunk it as trashy garbage.

And then, all of Hollyweird has one at the end...🤣

But seriously.  When these dustbuster minivans  had the 3800 in it, they were fun things to drive around in. As fun as they could be...     Imagine what they'd be like if they had the Series II or Series III supercharged version in them?  They would be GREAT for dads who had no choice to buy them because the old bat of a wife wanted a minivan!!!   Maybe...like in the movie...the CUV craze would not happen???    But then again...OJ would have still murdered his ex and well...you know the rest....

That huge sloping windshield and front end, you literally saw the whole road in front of you.  That was a selling point if I remember correctly.  (No...I refuse to watch Doug D videos so I really dont know what he said ) 

I prefered the originals before GM chopped off their front end and made it flat so it could be less dustbustery.  

Oh well...it was a sales failure because it really was too weird for the general public to accept...

People didnt want funky...The Toyota Previa of the same time also failed in the market place. People wanted boring looking minivans. They couldnt step out of their comfort zones. Boring like dry  toast instead of different and fun.

24 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I prefered the originals before GM chopped off their front end and made it flat so it could be less dustbustery.  

Maybe you are thinking of their replacement, the U-vans?   The U-bodies got a snout added to make them less slopey the last few years they were around... IIRC, the dustbusters never got much of a facelift.

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe you are thinking of their replacement, the U-vans?   The U-bodies got a snout added to make them less slopey the last few years they were around... IIRC, the dustbusters never got much of a facelift.

I did mean dustbuster ones...but the later years ones.

Image result for 1991 Chevy lumina apv

Image result for 1991 pontiac transport

But the chopped off nose is less prevalent in the Silhouette

Image result for 1996 oldsmobile silhouette minivan

Ah, yeah..forgot those got a bit of a facelift...the Olds didn't seem to change much at all.  Seems long ago and far away, haven't seen any dustbusters in years.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

That is one ugly graphic on the Olds.   The Pontiac looks best to me because I LOVED Pontiac plastic body cladding back in the day. Still do. 

The pre-chopped off face Lumina  APV probably looks the best out of all of them.  For whatever that is worth...

I personally liked these. No...I was NEVER a fan of ANY minivan. But I did get a kick looking at them back in the day as they drove by. Those and the Toyota Previa.  They were interesting shapes to look at. 

Always liked the Previa..very distinctive looking, and technically interesting.. front-mid engine, supercharged, w/ AWD versions.   A buddy in Colorado put over 350k on one in the 90s-00s...he tore the oil pan out going over a rocky mountain road from Aspen to Crested Butte...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

And you wonder why GM eventually ditched that market: the sales were not there and a lot of times, better product (Chrysler) was selling better and WERE better.

Chrysler got the minivan formula just right...enough variations and options, a good form factor.  The dustbusters were too weird, and the U-vans were unsafe at any speed and seemed like cheap knockoffs of the Chrysler vans.