GM Shutting Down Australia’s Holden Brand, Pulling Chevrolet Out of Thailand

I do not know what is worse.

An HSV Corvette  or General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV) Corvette?  A Corvette is a Chevrolet and as per the video and report, Chevrolet will not be used Down Under. HSV neither, which leaves a not yet decided upon name of GMSV for a small select models.  Unless GM decides that the Corvette wont be imported there at all...

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I do not know what is worse.

An HSV Corvette  or General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV) Corvette?  A Corvette is a Chevrolet and as per the video and report, Chevrolet will not be used Down Under. HSV neither, which leaves a not yet decided upon name of GMSV for a small select models.  Unless GM decides that the Corvette wont be imported there at all...

I doubt if they will import anything there anymore...they are giving up on that market.    I doubt if GM products will be sold outside of North America, South America and China in a couple years...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I doubt if they will import anything there anymore...they are giving up on that market.    I doubt if GM products will be sold outside of North America, South America and China in a couple years...

Totally agree, Sad start of the death of GM from a Global desirable name plate to a regional Meh Name plate.

It is interesting to see Tesla and while not available yet or global, but Rivian has more acknowledgement in the Auto space. One has to wonder if Mary has a long term plan than just focused on the profits and her golden parachute.

Is the plan to consolidate into their 3 strongest markets, wait a decade and then re-enter as something new and fresh or is this what I suspect is the start of a long death spiral into nothingness.

Gonna be an interesting watch for sure.

To be fair,  GM is not the only company to be plagued by "meh" automotive products. Every automotive company out there sells "meh" vehicles.

The ones that dont are specifically sold to those that can afford to live a life of opulence. 

But to fair...it has ALWAYS been that way. Minus a few times in which Americans got to enjoy affordable V8s starting with the introduction of the Ford Flat Head V8 in 1932. But the car itself was "meh". It had to be stripped down, chpped, channeled, frenched, by hot rodders for it to be exciting...

Then the 1950s came along and for the next 20 years, cars were exciting to be driven, driven in, to be seen in...But that was mostly a North American thing.  Then....the 1980s rolled along and cars started to become appliances. It took awhile before that cancer took over the industry, but here we are again. Pre-1932 for the general masses. 

Duesenbergs and Ferrari LaFerraris.  Always a fun treat. Ford Model Ts and Kia Sorrentos...not so much. 

Teslas...if you look at it...are vehicles for people who hate cars. 

Enthusiasts will ALWAYS see the fun side of vehicles. Like a Model 18 stripped of its fenders to create the quintessential  Hot Rod.  THE Ford Hot Rod coupe and roadster we all know and love.  

But a Tesla. 

No engine noise. For haterz of cars its a good thing. No noise pollution.

No smell of high octane gasoline. For haterz of cars. Its a good thing. No killing of the planet.

Autonomous driving with self parking and valet mode and shyte...for haterz of cars, they dont need to drive at all...

I love EV cars. I can switch to them. I almost dont want to JUST BECAUSE of what that implies.  

There are TOO MANY haterz of cars out there and they dont look at Telsa vehicles with enthusiast eyes like I do. They look at Teslas and EVs as a means to get rid of cars and driving all together...

I do not know why that rant came out of me. But, like I said, GM is not the only manufacturer plagued by "meh".

Its the world we live in.

Self driving, self parking, CUV/SUV pods that most of these soulless consumers want out of their vehicles today...

@oldshurst442 I think a key point though as I posted in another thread about Cadillac is the lack of Marketing, commercials, test drive events, the ability to let everyone, not just special people invited to a closed door event have a chance to drive and see how great GM auto's are.

Over Xmas, I saw a ton of MB, BMW and Audi xmas ads about their family of Auto's and MB even went so far to imply Santa now delivers presents via an MB and Mrs. Claus drives an MB CUV.

GM is LOST IN ACTION when it comes to marketing and getting the name / brand out there for everyone to see.

• Upvote 1