GM Outlines EV Plan to Cover Every Brand, Product Segment and Price Range

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hummer 8/10   Rivian.  This angle 8/10  that face 6/10   Tesla truck    

[Image from Carscoops]   IMO, from the above, I'd rank the styling from 1-10 as follows: Hummer : 8 Rivian : 5 Tesla : —72

That's one ugly automobile. 

Posted Images

I am curious to learn more about the new battery pack, and to see what they come up with in the Chevy/Buick SUVs which are more in the mainstream of the market.  And how those will do against the Model 3/Y and Mustang Mach E.  The $100k EV's are novelty cars really, you need EV's in the $30-40k range that can sell in mass quantity to get the change over to EV's going.  I would bet the Cadillac Celestiq bombs, because every time Cadillac throws out the term "flagship" the vehicle tanks.  This will probably be no different.

CT6 under delivered and was killed off after 5 years.  XTS was a joke, killed after 5 years.  XLR and ELR both flops killed after 1 generation.  The DT7 that never happened, CT8 “true S-class competitor” never happened.  

Celestiq will bomb and probably lose money and be pulled from market after 1 generation, maybe after 3-4 years.  

The Chevy EV’s might do well. 

XTS sold in excellent volumes... you know; somebody’s metric for ‘success’.

Unless someone wants to pivot to nameplate longevity instead if sales were too high.

- - -

CT6 paved the way for all the othr overweight lux sedans to start addressing weight loss and mediocre chassis dynamics. It also handily outsold long-running nameplates like the A8. Sounds like over-delivery to me. 

Edited by balthazar

If the XTS sold so well, why are it, LaCrosse and Impala all dead?  The sales of those were dropping 30-40% per year even with discounts in place.

The question here is how GM does with electric SUV’s because SUV’s are what people want.  And can they undercut Tesla on price because Tesla is the hot brand.

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I fckn hated the XTS with it's garbage, FWD proportions. That and I'm glad the Impala is finally done being produced. 

If GM was smart, they would resurrect both (but NOT the XTS name) as RWD top-drawer sedans.  Too bad (almost) everybody wants a CUV/SUV these days.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

If GM was smart, they would resurrect both (but NOT the XTS name) as RWD top-drawer sedans.  Too bad (almost) everybody wants a CUV/SUV these days.

Would be nice..it seems very short-sighted to go only with CUV/SUVs and leave the large sedan market to the Germans and Asians. 

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

XTS was a joke, killed after 5 years.

Ya still have not answered @balthazar question on LIST THE TIMES CADILLAC USED FLAGSHIP.

In regards to the XTS, guess you have MATH problems as the XTS came out in 2012 as a 2013 model and sold till Dec 2019 in the US and is STILL in Production and being sold in China.

2019 - 2012 = 7 Years in the US market!

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Would be nice..it seems very short-sighted to go only with CUV/SUVs and leave the large sedan market to the Germans and Asians. 

Considering all the Stories on what GM showed at their closed door meetings I suspect they do have large cars in the mix for the EV line of product under Cadillac.

Also the XTS is NOT Dead as it still is in production and selling in China. Would love an XTS-L edition as that extra 12 inches of rear leg room makes it a win win for me and large people everywhere.

See the source image

image.png

2019 XTS US model

image.png

The XTS had a weirdly short wheelbase for a full sizer, 111.7 inches, compared to the previous DTS which was 115.6 (and had a lot of rear seat room).

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The XTS had a weirdly short wheelbase for a full sizer, 111.7 inches, compared to the previous DTS which was 115.6 (and had a lot of rear seat room).

I like the look of the XTS-L much better over the short XTS they sold in the US.

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I like the look of the XTS-L much better over the short XTS they sold in the US.

Alas, because of the FWD proportions the front end was way too short.

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Alas, because of the FWD proportions the front end was way too short.

Yes agreed, I know we have members here that loved their Chrysler FWD cars, but that was my problem with them too, the Front wheels are just to close to the front end of the auto throwing off the proportions imho.

As I implied, RWD is still the best idea for a flagship CAR.  Period.

We know this because the 300/Charger twins are still miles ahead of the dreadful 200/Dart twins (both deceased).

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

See, that’s my problem with exotics; front wheels too close to the cabin + huge ungainly frontal overhangs. 🤔🥴😁

Alas, that seems to be the norm with mid engined cars..I think most mid engined cars would look better with an extra few inches of wheelbase between the door and front wheel well....having the front wheel well intrude into the interior is so weak..poor packaging. 

35 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes agreed, I know we have members here that loved their Chrysler FWD cars, but that was my problem with them too, the Front wheels are just to close to the front end of the auto throwing off the proportions imho.

I'm a strong believer in RWD for midsize and larger cars, but I do think a lot of '90s-10s GM FWD full sizers looked pretty good..the DTS, last gen of Eldorado, STS, Riviera, Aurora, Park Avenue, Le Sabre, Lucerne, LaCrosse, etc....

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Considering all the Stories on what GM showed at their closed door meetings I suspect they do have large cars in the mix for the EV line of product under Cadillac.

Also the XTS is NOT Dead as it still is in production and selling in China. Would love an XTS-L edition as that extra 12 inches of rear leg room makes it a win win for me and large people everywhere.

See the source image

image.png

2019 XTS US model

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Its sales relative to the rest of Cadillac's cars only proved what Cadillac customers really want though:  a large, comfy sedan, not a Benz/BMW clone.  So, even with its ungainly proportions and visibly too-short wheelbase, it outsold all other Cadillac sedans.

It should have been on Omega.  But alas, another platform, and golden opportunity, missed by GM's once-proud Standard of the World.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Its sales relative to the rest of Cadillac's cars only proved what Cadillac customers really want though:  a large, comfy sedan, not a Benz/BMW clone.  So, even with its ungainly proportions and visibly too-short wheelbase, it outsold all other Cadillac sedans.

It should have been on Omega.  But alas, another platform, and golden opportunity, missed by GM's once-proud Standard of the World.

Regardless of its success, I find it atrocious. 

You would have thought that they should have flipped the switch to go more Lincoln but with their RWD platforms. That sounds like a great recipe, instead of trying to be sporty and mirror the Germans, just do your own thing. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Regardless of its success, I find it atrocious. 

You would have thought that they should have flipped the switch to go more Lincoln but with their RWD platforms. That sounds like a great recipe, instead of trying to be sporty and mirror the Germans, just do your own thing. 

These were primarily fleet cars... typical GM cheapassing....

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

GM's management ineptitude and general cheapassing resulted in the XTS being another FWD/transverse generic...

• Upvote 1