Top 5 Worst Performance Car Name Revivals

While I agree those might have not been great cars, OMG is his monotone voice a killer. I had to skip through it as I could not listen to him for the whole thing. That guy is in the wrong business of doing voice work. :puke:

Not a revival per say, but the mercedes SL is a strong contender for any such list.
Gullwing doors, strongest powerplant for decades in the model, and 3 years later they kill it to primarily build 4-cylinder ragtops with less than half the HP.

• Upvote 2

He only does American brands and models. But yeah...I agree on the Mercedes SL.

Ill add Mitsubishi Eclipse.  From a high performing (for the time) small sports coupe with a killer turbo engine and AWD in the late 1980s and early 1990s...taking some time off only to return as a CUV...

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not a revival per say, but the mercedes SL is a strong contender for any such list.
Gullwing doors, strongest powerplant for decades in the model, and 3 years later they kill it to primarily build 4-cylinder ragtops with less than half the HP.

You mean the SLS?   The SL is still going with a V8 as it has been for decades. The AMG GT replaced it. 

Balthy did say  "not a revival per say" 

He was referring to this 1st generation  from the late 1950s. 

Image result for Mercedes190 SL

and especially the 2nd generation  when  no gullwings and no massive, high performing model was even offered. At the height of the muscle car era at that.  Late 1960s and with the SL in 1971, did Mercedes offer muscle car worthy power.  

Image result for Mercedes 230 SL

We all know the reasons behind Mercedes being this way.  Its funny though, when Cadillac is concerned, we ALWAYS go back to the malaise era to denounce Cadillac. We all know the reasons  behind why Cadillac was this way as well. But... the malaise era was 30 years ago. I think its time we as enthusiasts stop with Cadillac smack talk as we never seem to smack talk Mercedes or BMW the same way.  Because even M-B and BMW had a few hiccups and missteps during the Cadillac malaise era as well.

Edited by oldshurst442
6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Balthy did say  "not a revival per say"  

Non-sequitor.  The context of the thread is revivals.  The original Gullwing was the 300SL (which was built 3 years, but the convertible 300SL was built for 6 years).  The Gullwing revival in the last decade was the SLS.     The 190SL was not a revival, but another model using the SL nomenclature (note that it was built concurrent with the 300SL convertible).  

The 190SL equivalent today would be the SLK. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Non-sequitor.  The context of the thread is revivals.  The original Gullwing was the 300SL (which was built 3 years, but the convertible 300SL was built for 6 years).  The Gullwing revival in the last decade was the SLS.     The 190SL was not a revival, but another model using the SL nomenclature (note that it was built concurrent with the 300SL convertible).  

The 190SL equivalent today would be the SLK. 

True.  Nothing to counter you with because you are 100% correct.

But,  I will welcome ANY Mercedes smack talk  whenever I could get it. 

• Upvote 1