NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

DESIGN PREVIEW: Chevrolet Announces Refreshed 2021 Traverse

Why isn't this good looking vehicle the best seller in its class?

• Like 1

Good question...what is the best selling full size unibody 3 row CUV? 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Why isn't this good looking vehicle the best seller in its class?

Matches the Chevy family look started by the Blazer. Good looking ride, but interior in solid black is so 1990's. Then we have the stupid Consumer Reports that thinks anything American is garbage compared to Asian built auto's. Lack of marketing by GM. I could go on but I do get why this is not the best selling class CUV.

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Good question...what is the best selling full size unibody 3 row CUV? 

According to US News report on the best selling top 25 this Traverse comes in at #5.

Best is the Kia Telluride.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/suvs-with-3-rows

According to Carmax, Traverse comes in at #9 for 3 row suvs. #1 is Ford Explorer.

https://www.carmax.com/articles/best-suvs-with-3-rows

Car and Driver has Kia Telluride as #1, Traverse as #16 and Blazer as #9

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g8525152/best-midsize-suv/

Yet in this review they still have Kia Telluride as #1 and Traverse as #9.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15380107/best-3-row-suv/?slide=19

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I looked at toyoter- their size comparative to the Traverse is the Sequoia, but it's price is double and it's sales are only 7% of the Traverse.
Really not that many full-size SUVs out there; Highlander is too small... that basically leaves the Explorer.
2019 calendar year sales:

Traverse : 147,122
Explorer : 168,309

EDIT : telluride is close in size (WB: 114"), but sales aren't in the same neighborhood at all : 58,604. Not sure when it went on sale tho- didi it have a full calendar year in 2019?

Edited by balthazar

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

I looked at toyoter- their size comparative to the Traverse is the Sequoia, but it's price is double and it's sales are only 7% of the Traverse.
Really not that many full-size SUVs out there; Highlander is too small... that basically leaves the Explorer.
2019 calendar year sales:

Traverse : 147,122
Explorer : 168,309

Traverse according to so many different review sites put it in the Mid-size category or 3 row category then Explorer makes sense. Explorer is too big for the Mid-size.

Posted (edited)

That's going by interior cubic volume, I assume. Irrevelant, IMO.
Explorer wheelbase is 119", Traverse is 121". Telluride is 114; seven inches short of a Traverse.

Mr Felt- I think most of your links above were subjective ratings, not sales-based; which was the question.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

Telluride and Pallisade sales are limited by current manufacturing capacity, not sure what the ramp up plan is.  They underestimated the popularity, being new entries.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile at the entry level, Chevy should have had a Venue type car ready to go, instead, Hyundai was ready and stepped in with an economical, feature-rich alternative to the small hatchback of old, packaged in a modern way.

GM needs somebody who can immerse themselves in the buzz and come up with vehicles that people desire, like they used to.  It is this deafness that will be their ultimate undoing, I am deathly afraid.

Edited by ocnblu

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Meanwhile at the entry level, Chevy should have had a Venue type car ready to go, instead, Hyundai was ready and stepped in with an economical, feature-rich alternative to the small hatchback of old, packaged in a modern way.

GM needs somebody who can immerse themselves in the buzz and come up with vehicles that people desire, like they used to.  It is this deafness that will be their ultimate undoing, I am deathly afraid.

The Venue seems to fit right between the Spark Activ and Trax in size.  

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I agree that GM is missing mojo in most of their auto designs and the need to move forward with technology. If they get the style right their EVs will be the right move into a long future in the auto world.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

I agree that GM is missing mojo in most of their auto designs and the need to move forward with technology. If they get the style right their EVs will be the right move into a long future in the auto world.

Yet... no one is buying EVs.  They cannot give them away, dfelt, they would not stay around long at all if they did.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yet... no one is buying EVs.  They cannot give them away, dfelt, they would not stay around long at all if they did.

I would never rate you on doing one poor job at where you work, why are you rating GM on the Bolt, the only true EV they have had in mass production as a begining point that has sold well for what it is.

Until we have a wide portfolio of EVs and if they do not sell, I will be the first to say Blu was right!

• Thanks 1

Well I don't think they did a poor job on the Bolt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well I don't think they did a poor job on the Bolt.

Me Neither when it first came out, GM failure is to not keep it updated faster nor offer a wider variety of interior finishes. We all seem to be worn out on Black everything or two-tone grey. 

I think the bolt would have done well if it was the GM two-tone Mocha interior in the Bolt. That seems to have been a very popular color option in the few auto's GM offered it in.

Breaking news:  it's not the interior color, it's the powertrain type that holds it back.

• Downvote 1

It's the price.
Watch what the Model Y does to the Model X (if you can peel the combined Model S & Model X sales numbers apart).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It's the price.
Watch what the Model Y does to the Model X (if you can peel the combined Model S & Model X sales numbers apart).

$36,620 to say hello to a Chevy Bolt is ridiculous.  Half price would have the Bolt leaving the showrooms faster than an Equinox.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

$36,620 to say hello to a Chevy Bolt is ridiculous.  Half price would have the Bolt leaving the showrooms faster than an Equinox.

At $36,620 they're losing like $10k on each Bolt sold though.  And now they're giving like $8k off MSRP, if you go to Chevy's inventory site, you will see Bolt sale prices are around $28-$30k.  Literally giving them away.  That's not a dealer price, it's a Chevy price.

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

At $36,620 they're losing like $10k on each Bolt sold though.  And now they're giving like $8k off MSRP, if you go to Chevy's inventory site, you will see Bolt sale prices are around $28-$30k.  Literally giving them away.  That's not a dealer price, it's a Chevy price.

In 2016 GM even stated that they loose $9,000 on each Bolt sold. Now in 2020 the cost of the battery pack is 1/3rd of what it cost in 2016 and you know GM has written down tooling, R&D costs, etc. As such, at most I would say $3,000 loss per Bolt but I am more inclined to think they are finally breaking even on them and as they say with the BEV3 modular architecture and the variety of New EVs coming, that they will make profits on them.

Forbes likes the Bolt and while they say it is a tough sell due to the lack of Marketing, it is the best EV the public does not know about.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2019/07/21/chevy-bolt-the-best-ev-youve-never-heard-of--still/#29f6ebe03e4c

Good review on the BOLT for those looking for a solid commuter auto.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/bolt