2022 mazda 6, supposedly

I wonder if their CUV's will move upmarket their next iteration too.  The CX5 should be all new by 2022 as well.  It needs to be a bit roomier IMO.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, frogger said:

I wonder if their CUV's will move upmarket their next iteration too.  The CX5 should be all new by 2022 as well.  It needs to be a bit roomier IMO.

i would think the CX5 would still basically be the Mazda 3. the CX9 should definitely be a RWD/AWD beast with this engine..... Beast meaning stronger than what it is now.

edit, if HP scales linearly with displacement, the i6 would need to be 3.5L to be over 300hp, just barely.

Edited by loki
23 minutes ago, loki said:

i would think the CX5 would still basically be the Mazda 3. the CX9 should definitely be a RWD/AWD beast with this engine..... Beast meaning stronger than what it is now.

edit, if HP scales linearly with displacement, the i6 would need to be 3.5L to be over 300hp, just barely.

I think CX-30 is the Mazda 3 equivalent,  CX-5 is more mid size equivalent.  It does have to grow just a little bit IMO.

I hope Mazda goes with their plans for Mazda 6, sounds interesting.  I just wonder how much of a market will be for such sedans today.

• Upvote 1

Sedans I think Mazda will keep the 6 but it will be a small seller. I think this will be a global platform that will be used to expand their CUV family and hopefully get the proper room inside for everyone as even the CX9 CUV is just cramped for the size and needs a proper powerful motor. Be interesting to watch and see. 

Seems Old is New now with the Straight 6 making a come back for various auto makers.

Nice to see them moving to a niche product w/ a straight 6 and RWD instead of another generic transverse engine FWD appliance.   Something different and unique that will stand out in the market instead of another appliance family sedan.   Mazda using their sporty image to do something to stand out from the vanilla appliances Toyota, Honda and Nissan churn out....

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, ykX said:

I think CX-30 is the Mazda 3 equivalent,  CX-5 is more mid size equivalent.  It does have to grow just a little bit IMO.

I hope Mazda goes with their plans for Mazda 6, sounds interesting.  I just wonder how much of a market will be for such sedans today.

yeah, CX-30 is more like a direct "Mazda3 on stilts", but it also is a newer vehicle with the updated platform the new 3 uses. the whole lineup for mazda(not the MX-5), before the new 3, was the same platform, whether stretched or shrunk, lifted or standard.... tried to find this, no luck ATM.

definitely this space has left a lot of sales open with ford, GM(chevy/buick),FCA(how long does the 300/charger have left ?) leaving the space and these specs would make the 6 stand out, depending on price.

depending on how much more lux mazda is trying to go, this would be a huge success for the space, or another niche vehicle. for a ~2% market player.

A RWD Mazda 6 is welcome.  The Only problem is is that the market is bent towards CUVs 24/7. 

An updated/upgraded CX-5 and CX-9 are needed yesterday.  Ideally, the platform for the CUVs are made into RWD rather than settle for FWD, since the unibody FWD CUV market is quite saturated.  Mazda needs something to grow market share and a unique selling point.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, loki said:

yeah, CX-30 is more like a direct "Mazda3 on stilts", but it also is a newer vehicle with the updated platform the new 3 uses. the whole lineup for mazda(not the MX-5), before the new 3, was the same platform, whether stretched or shrunk, lifted or standard.... tried to find this, no luck ATM.

definitely this space has left a lot of sales open with ford, GM(chevy/buick),FCA(how long does the 300/charger have left ?) leaving the space and these specs would make the 6 stand out, depending on price.

depending on how much more lux mazda is trying to go, this would be a huge success for the space, or another niche vehicle. for a ~2% market player.

Would be interesting to compare total car sales both in the US and Globally to CUV sales in the US and Globally. Always interesting to compare the numbers. A global RWD / AWD platform would be an interesting way for Mazda to stand apart from the saturated FWD/AWD market place. Whether or not enough people would care is another question.

• Upvote 2

Ideally, every automaker would build at least one or two RWD cars without charging BMW/MB/Cadillac prices.  Unfortunately, that has not happened in a long time.  Interestingly, there is a 2015 white Chevy SS with only 45k miles for about $34K at my local Buick dealer.  The car arrived about a week ago.  Could use a few more of those models for 2021.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Ideally, every automaker would build at least one or two RWD cars without charging BMW/MB/Cadillac prices.  Unfortunately, that has not happened in a long time.  Interestingly, there is a 2015 white Chevy SS with only 45k miles for about $34K at my local Buick dealer.  The car arrived about a week ago.  Could use a few more of those models for 2021.

2015, so a 6 year old auto even with only 45K miles for $34,000 is just crazy for a used auto.

I saw this the other day when it was first posted on C&D.  I definitely like the exterior styling of it and I like the sound of an I6 and if it was really 350 hp that would be even better.  No mention of an AWD variant but there would have to be one for this to sell in anything but very low volumes (and yes, I know the volumes won't be high regardless).

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

2015, so a 6 year old auto even with only 45K miles for $34,000 is just crazy for a used auto.

Apparently you have not shopped for a CTS-V wagon lately. 😲  There would be one in my garage if they weren't still priced sky high, especially the 6MT ones.

I should have bought a new SS.  Could have picked one up brand new for $38k at the end of their run. 😪  They have held their value well.  Pontiac G8 GT's held their value well for quite a long time as well.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, 2QuickZ's said:

I saw this the other day when it was first posted on C&D.  I definitely like the exterior styling of it and I like the sound of an I6 and if it was really 350 hp that would be even better.  No mention of an AWD variant but there would have to be one for this to sell in anything but very low volumes (and yes, I know the volumes won't be high regardless).

Apparently you have not shopped for a CTS-V wagon lately. 😲  There would be one in my garage if they weren't still priced sky high, especially the 6MT ones.

I should have bought a new SS.  Could have picked one up brand new for $38k at the end of their run. 😪  They have held their value well.  Pontiac G8 GT's held their value well for quite a long time as well.

I can understand what you are saying, great that they are holding their value. Sadly, I tried and while I like station wagaons, grew up in an Oldsmobile Delta 98 Station Wagon, Blue with fake wood on the side and the third seat in the back facing backwards, that was my spot, sisters in the middle bench, I cannot fit in the CTS-V Wagon. Cool Cars, but not big enough for me to fit.

Hopefully one day you get the auto you love. :metal:

Back on the Mazda 6 with I6 motor, yes, I would agree with you that an AWD version should be made.

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Well, the SS was a very low volume niche model...so strong resale values.  And it's not a FWD generic.   But that's a high price compared to a 540i or V8 E-class of the same era and mileage (though those had a higher new price and more sales volume). 

But compare the price of a used SS to a used CTS-v of the same vintage.  Same ballpark, and the SS is much rarer than a CTS-v.    

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1