Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Review: 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Acura makes one sedan, a front driver with 200 hp base and a torqueless V6 as the option until that Type S arrives.  Is that thing a CT5 killer?

Something like 80% of Acura's sales are SUVs.  Lincoln is trending toward 100% SUV,  Cadillac and Lexus are probably pushing 75% SUV, maybe higher.  So  if that is 80% of your brand, I would hope it is a fun to drive product.  Time will tell if there German strategy works or if the Cadillac/Lincoln/Acura strategy works, over the past 20 years the German strategy is winning.  

If you search SL on auto trader it only pulls from 1994 and newer because before that it was 500SL, 560SL, 380SL, etc.  The models that lead with a number aren't pulled into that search.  The 80s ones cost more than the 90s or early 2000s SL's.

If you look at the screen, they actually have an SL class of auto that pulls before and after with the various classes according to their web site.

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Porsche is German and it's 67% SUVs (by volume).
Are they using the German strategy, or the American?

They build rear wheel drive.  Not front wheel drive off a Camry, Accord, or Escape platform and try to pass it of as something fancy.

Something like 80% of Acura's sales are SUVs.  Lincoln is trending toward 100% SUV,  Cadillac and Lexus are probably pushing 75% SUV, maybe higher.  So  if that is 80% of your brand, I would hope it is a fun to drive product.  Time will tell if there German strategy works or if the Cadillac/Lincoln/Acura strategy works, over the past 20 years the German strategy is winning.

60-80% of just about everyone's sales are CUVs / SUVs.

But since the vast majority of SUVs are 4WD, are german ones 'fun' and American ones 'not fun' even tho they have the same number of drive wheels? Does anyone who buys a mobile consumer appliance (CUV) drive them in any way aggressively? What percent of drivers?

I watched a Porsche 911-esque car today, turn right onto the highway at a red light. Road ahead was empty... and it just leisurely oozed forward like a kia forte on a donut spare. I thought 'Idiot."

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

They build rear wheel drive.  Not front wheel drive off a Camry, Accord, or Escape platform and try to pass it of as something fancy.

FWD with AWD optional and M-B DEFINITELY tries to pass this turd as something fancy.   Bullshyte 4Matic trim making AWD standard making it seem this turd is fancy

2021 Mercedes-Benz CLA Class Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and ...

FWD with AWD optional and M-B DEFINITELY tries to pass this turd as something fancy. Bullshyte 4Matic trim making AWD standard making it seem this turd is fancy

2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA250 4Matic Shows Real Growth

And bottom of the barrel turd. FWD with AWD optional and BOTH Mercedes and BMW  are hiding the fact that they both wants to sell to former buyers of  Chevrolet Cavaliers, Pontiac Vibes (Toyota Matrix) and Saturn Ions.

2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Packs Advanced Tech - Consumer Reports

GM knew of switch problem in 2001

2020 BMW 1 Series: Have A Closer Look Via 7 Official Videos

Car Review: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD | Driving

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

FWD with AWD optional and M-B DEFINITELY tries to pass this turd as something fancy.   Bullshyte 4Matic trim making AWD standard making it seem this turd is fancy

2021 Mercedes-Benz CLA Class Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and ...

FWD with AWD optional and M-B DEFINITELY tries to pass this turd as something fancy. Bullshyte 4Matic trim making AWD standard making it seem this turd is fancy

FWD with AWD that has  up to a 50/50 split in their cheapest car.  That is Acura's whole line, it is Cadillacs whole crossover line, it is half of Lexus's line up.  

If the A-class is terrible how do you describe the Cadillac XT6 and Acura MDX at $60,000 with the same drive train?  In fact earlier in the thread you said it was good that the Acura TLX is front drive, the CLA is around to compete with TLX, Volvos, Golf R's and all that stuff.  

And absolutely rear drive is better that is why Mercedes makes C, E, S-class, GLC, GLE, GLS, G-wagon, AMG GT, SL in rear drive.  What the Euro-car haters don't like is the Germans coming for that mid-market and taking it, and basically putting Buick, Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac out of the sedan business.  We are going to be down to 4 sedans across those 5 brands in about 1 year's time.

22 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

If the A-class is terrible how do you describe the Cadillac XT6 and Acura MDX at $60,000 with the same drive train?

I criticize Cadillac for that.

YOU dont critize Mercedes for that.  Or BMW for that matter.

"Engineered Like No Other" and "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in 2020 seems like a farce and a lie, dont it?   

You just give me excusatory replies and deflections...

Id like to see you write that Mercedes SUCKS for producing the GLA, CLA and A Class.

Go ahead...WRITE IT IN BOLD LETTERING WITH SIZE 18 FONT AS IF YOU ARE SCREAMING IT ON TOP OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING SO ALL OF US COULD SEE AND HEAR IT!!!

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I criticize Cadillac for that.

YOU dont critize Mercedes for that.  Or BMW for that matter.

"Engineered Like No Other" and "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in 2020 seems like a farce and a lie, dont it?   

You just give me excusatory replies and deflections...

Id like to see you write that Mercedes SUCKS for producing the GLA, CLA and A Class.

Go ahead...WRITE IT IN BOLD LETTERING WITH SIZE 18 FONT AS IF YOU ARE SCREAMING IT ON TOP OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING SO ALL OF US COULD SEE AND HEAR IT!!!

I don't care that they make FWD, especially at the vehicle size and power level and price point they do it at.  The new A-class and GLA/GLB look like pretty strong entrants to the entry lux segment, the original CLA drove like any other run of the mill car and had a run of the mill interior.    The new group of entry lux is strong it will cater well to people that only know FWD, I think it is good to offer that in the market as an option.

And if you don't like FWD, people can spend $5k more for a C-class or GLC.  

Just now, smk4565 said:

I don't care that they make FWD, especially at the vehicle size and power level and price point they do it at.  The new A-class and GLA/GLB look like pretty strong entrants to the entry lux segment, the original CLA drove like any other run of the mill car and had a run of the mill interior.    The new group of entry lux is strong it will cater well to people that only know FWD, I think it is good to offer that in the market as an option.

And if you don't like FWD, people can spend $5k more for a C-class or GLC.  

WRONG ANSWER

Which brings me back to Acura. JD Powers and Bloomberg reviews have not been kind to the Acura CUV's and if @smk4565 is right that a successful auto line has to have X amount of CUVs. One has to wonder why Acura does not see money in building an Acura version of the CR-V and the Pilot to add to the family. 🤔

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Which brings me back to Acura. JD Powers and Bloomberg reviews have not been kind to the Acura CUV's and if @smk4565 is right that a successful auto line has to have X amount of CUVs. One has to wonder why Acura does not see money in building an Acura version of the CR-V and the Pilot to add to the family. 🤔

I believe the MDX covers the Acura version of the Pilot.  Why Acura has no true equivalent of the Honda CR-V and HR-V is a mystery to me.  (Some may argue that the RDX fills the CR-V role).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I believe the MDX covers the Acura version of the Pilot.  Why Acura has no true equivalent of the Honda CR-V and HR-V is a mystery to me.  (Some may argue that the RDX fills the CR-V role).

Correct...the MDX is Acura's Pilot, the RDX is a bit larger than the CR-V.   There is also the CDX which is smaller than the CR-V (China only, it appears). 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@riviera74 @Robert Hall I do have to wonder why Acura does not have any other sized luxury CUV's.

I would think a lager than RDX/MDX and smaller would make sense for Acura.

Your thoughts on Acura having additional sized luxury CUV's?

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

@riviera74 @Robert Hall I do have to wonder why Acura does not have any other sized luxury CUV's.

They only have two.  Buick and Cadillac and Chevy have at least three.  I believe some automakers have four or more.  Acura could probably use one more to compete against the Encore or XT4.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

They only have two.  Buick and Cadillac and Chevy have at least three.  I believe some automakers have four or more.  Acura could probably use one more to compete against the Encore or XT4.

The CDX could do that.  There was an article in Motor Trend that speculated it may come to the US...but that was 3 years ago.

Edit: The CDX is supposed to come to the US later this year as a 2021 model, according to at least one article.

https://hondacarmodels.com/2021-acura-cdx/

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

They have an Acura version of the CR-V and Pilot, although they claim the RDX rides on it's own platform, I bet that thing is 90% CR-V underneath.   I believe there is an Acura version of the Honda HR-V either in concept or for sale in Asia, I would be surprised if they don't don't put that on sale in the USA for a BMW X1, Volvo XC40 competitor starting around $32k.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

How would they do it?  They don't make a rear drive platform, and the MDX/Pilot upper mid-size already.  They share a platform the the Odyssey and Ridgeline which have a longer wheelbase, but they would just send up with a 6 inch stretch wheelbase MDX, which maybe gets them more 3rd seat legroom, but I don't know if that moves the sales needle any.

They can't go larger, but they can go smaller than RDX.

Edited by smk4565

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The MDX is just a few inches smaller in wheelbase and length than the Telluride and Palisade, and less square and upright..probably considerably less space inside.

My wife drives MDX, plenty of space for a family of four.  However, Pilot is much roomier, and probably Telluride is even bigger than Pilot.

17 hours ago, smk4565 said:

How would they do it?  They don't make a rear drive platform, and the MDX/Pilot upper mid-size already.  They share a platform the the Odyssey and Ridgeline which have a longer wheelbase, but they would just send up with a 6 inch stretch wheelbase MDX, which maybe gets them more 3rd seat legroom, but I don't know if that moves the sales needle any.

They can't go larger, but they can go smaller than RDX.

Considering how many larger FWD/AWD Unibody auto's are out there. I see no reason they could not go larger and smaller on the same platform. After all look at the full size FWD/AWD vans that are out in Europe and now America. Easy to take a base and give it a CUV look.