It's probably best to just start a thread for it.. 

The hybrid news, while they didn't give much details on it because..Ford.. but it'll be the ecoboost 3.5L mated to their hybrid system. They're naming the engine "PowerBoost". 

Unfortunately, they didn't release ANY information on the output of their 6 engine lineup; 3.3L v6, 2.7TT V6, 3.5TT V6, 5.0L V8, 3.0L diesel, 3.5TT Hybrid. 

"Leading the roster of cool improvements is a new PowerBoost hybrid offering that includes Pro Power Onboard. PowerBoost mates the Explorer Hybrid's transmission-mounted electric motor and frame-mounted 1.5-kWh battery pack with the F-150's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6. No power and torque figures have been announced, but while the Raptor takes a year or so off, this will serve as the new F-150's most powerful offering while delivering "12,000-pounds-plus" of towing capability, reasonable fuel economy, and a claimed 700-mile driving range. It will be offered on every trim level.

But perhaps even better is the hybrid's standard Pro Power Onboard system, which provides a 2.4-kW inverter that delivers 20 amps of 110-volt electricity for powering a job or campsite. Need 30 amps of 220-volt power? Upgrade your PowerBoost truck to the 7.2-kW inverter. Can't swing the cost of the fancy hybrid? A 2.0-kW 110-volt inverter is offered on all but the base 3.3L V-6 and the diesel. It automatically starts and idles the engine as needed to power your devices.

Other new features aimed at getting jobs done easier include a stowable shifter that, when in Park, can fold down into the console allowing the center armrest to flip over forward and form a continuous flat work surface. Need a flat surface you can saw on? With the tailgate step option, you now get a tough SMC composite tailgate surface that incorporates imperial and metric ruler markings, a place to stand your handheld device while watching that YouTube how-to video, and two recesses for C-clamps to secure your workpiece to the tailgate. Best of all, two new tie-down loops on the tailgate double as bottle openers.  Power opening and closing of this gate is also now available. Joining Pro Trailer Backup Assist is a new Trailer Reverse Guidance system borrowed from Super Duty that uses cameras and a trailer-mounted yaw-sensor to coach a driver while maneuvering manually.

"The most aerodynamic F-150 ever" gets a new active front air dam that retracts at low off-road speed and drops 3.1 or 3.5 inches (2WD or 4WD models) at speeds above 40-45 mph. The top surface of the closed tailgate features an improved spoiler shape; there are air deflectors ahead of the rear wheels; the side-view mirrors are resized and shaped for optimal flow; and the C-pillar shape is optimized."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/f-150/2021/2021-ford-f-150-first-look-review/

2021 F150 - 2.jpg

2021 F150 - 3.jpg

2021 F150 - 4.jpg

2021 F150 - 5.jpg

2021 F150 interior - 2.jpg

2021 F150 interior - 3.jpg

2021 F150 interior - 4.jpg

2021 F150 interior.jpg

2021 F150 Tailgate - 3.jpg

2021 F150 Tailgate -2.jpg

2021 F150 Tailgate.jpg

2021 F150.jpg

Edited by ccap41

Actually looks great with some very neat features.

Love the tailgate and an idea of having a built in electric power source. 20 Amps is pretty good, can even power number of things at home during emergency, not just camping or work site.

• Like 1

Yeah, when I was watching the reveal, they hit on people needing to keep a generator in the bed and they're very commonly stolen out of beds. Not having a truck or generator, I never even thought about that. It makes complete sense. 

• Upvote 1

I like, it doesn’t take up space... but the reality in use is its pretty much useless. Anything dimensional and its too far from your marking edge. Plus, you always have to align to 0. Tape measure is 1000 times more user-friendly.
Do the clamps in the video come with the tailgate package?

Yeah, I think the built-in tape measure is almost useless. If you're doing that kind of work you have a more practical tape measure with you already. 

I doubt the clamps come with it but no official word. 

Definitely evolutionary from the current model. I like the rounded corner grille more than the current one, and the dash isn't quite as harsh blocky plastic ugh.  Will likely do well.

I've said this before; I'd like to see a V-groove so one can clamp down round items to work on. WOuld also like to see the tailgate cables eliminated to enlarge the usable surface (wider than the tailgate).

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I've said this before; I'd like to see a V-groove so one can clamp down round items to work on. WOuld also like to see the tailgate cables eliminated to enlarge the usable surface (wider than the tailgate).

I do like that Rivian has gotten rid of the cables on their tail gate. I also agree with you a V groove should be there to accommodate all types of items that need to be clamped down and cut.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Getting rid of the tailgate cables would make the tailgate that much more usable. That would be a big game changer but I'm not sure how it would be executed. 

Easy, like Rivian, you have cog wheels on the side. This is part of their Patent where you can have the tailgate also just go straight down for easier access to the bed area rather than reaching over the tailgate.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of a wider surface, surprised no one hasn't made the tailgate the full width of the rear, wrapping over the bed ends.  Could have notches for the taillights, and the taillights swing out or motor out of the way when the tailgate is opened.

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Easy, like Rivian, you have cog wheels on the side. This is part of their Patent where you can have the tailgate also just go straight down for easier access to the bed area rather than reaching over the tailgate.

Do you have any pictures of this? When I think of a cable-less tailgate I just instantly think it can't hold near the weight. 

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of a wider surface, surprised no one hasn't made the tailgate the full width of the rear, wrapping over the bed ends.  Could have notches for the taillights, and the taillights swing out or motor out of the way when the tailgate is opened.

The lights need to be fixed and not on a panel. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Do you have any pictures of this? When I think of a cable-less tailgate I just instantly think it can't hold near the weight. 

The lights need to be fixed and not on a panel. 

I had posted it in the alternative random channel.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Here's the Rivian patent art. It's doesn't involve cogs, but arms and tension springs. Looks like a motor off to the right, also. Anything toothed and exposed would be an extraordinarily poor idea. This one seems solid, logistically, but the drawings lack context.

Would like to see the 'tailgate drop' 'x-ray' view of the hardware.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.14.57 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, balthazar said:

Here's the Rivian patent art. It's doesn't involve cogs, but arms and tension springs. Looks like a motor off to the right, also. Anything toothed and exposed would be an extraordinarily poor idea. This one seems solid, logistically, but the drawings lack context.

Would like to see the 'tailgate drop' 'x-ray' view of the hardware.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.14.57 PM.png

Thank you Balthazar. I was going based on info when they first showed it off last year and had not seen or I totally missed this in the patent filing when I posted it. 

I agree this does seem very solid in design and I also wonder what the internal cross cut of the door would look like.

Take this concept, add what Ford did, but put in the V channel to support pipes and other odd angle material and you have a very functional tail gate for all kinds of uses.

GMC would be good to add the V channel to so when you pop up the smaller inner section that they say use as a table, you can use it as a work surface for taller folks or leave it down with the channel for the whole tailgate.

Love this feature, way better than what GM did with their first Hybrid Pickup with just 2 110V outlets. GM should have done this from the begining. Short sited thinking by Management as I bet Engineering wanted to do far more. Serious power for serious work away from a dedicated outlet.

image.png

Dash is one of the best I have seen from Ford ever. Does not say Cheap to me at all. Looks like someone actually is paying attention to details and quality.

image.png

Looking at all the interior options, I personally think the Lariat and Platinum are the best looking dash interiors.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2021/

• Like 1

The upper trim F-150's have that horizontal bar in silver, and it's hard to NOT see it. Would have to see it in person.
- - - - -
The outlet thing is a little nuts, it's not a d*** contest. If you're working off a F-150, it not like you're going to have 5 guys all running power equipment at the same time; any scaled up project is going to run a combination of battery tools and a generator. Plus, you can always run a power strip off one outlet- same exact thing. Let's not advocate 28 outlets in future truck beds please- we're already at a circa $50K threshold as it is.

Supposedly there are going to be 11 grilles and 13 wheel choices.

This brown w/ W snake logo interior trim looks nice.

21_FRD_F15_50660.tif.jpeg

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

The upper trim F-150's have that horizontal bar in silver, and it's hard to NOT see it. Would have to see it in person.
- - - - -
The outlet thing is a little nuts, it's not a d*** contest. If you're working off a F-150, it not like you're going to have 5 guys all running power equipment at the same time; any scaled up project is going to run a combination of battery tools and a generator. Plus, you can always run a power strip off one outlet- same exact thing. Let's not advocate 28 outlets in future truck beds please- we're already at a circa $50K threshold as it is.

I understand the point your making and in a Hybrid, you always have the Motor to run to generate even more power if needed long term. Yet, I bet Ford will advertise this to the right market, Construction compared to the lack of any marketing GM did for their 2, 110 outlets with less than an hr of use time. Ford I can see pointing out the benefit of using it all day 8 plus hours due to being a hybrid where the motor can run. I like that they cover the 110 and Twist lock outlet use along with circuit breakers.

27 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Supposedly there are going to be 11 grilles and 13 wheel choices.

This brown w/ W snake logo interior trim looks nice.

21_FRD_F15_50660.tif.jpeg

Not bad, I honestly do wonder how long Ford will keep that fold down gear shifter compared to a switch or push buttons on the dash and just get rid of the complexity of the setup. Plus getting rid of the shifter there makes that pull out table they have even faster and easier to use as they remove the moving parts / complexity of the shifter.

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

...compared to the lack of any marketing GM did for their 2, 110 outlets with less than an hr of use time. Ford I can see pointing out the benefit of using it all day 8 plus hours due to being a hybrid where the motor can run.

What's to stop a GM truck from running their motor?

Edited by balthazar