Robert Hall

July Car Spotter

While at the dealer this morning for some routine service, I strolled around the lot.  At the back, i spotted a couple rusty old minivans, a rusty Ram pickup w/ what looked like at outboard motor attached (or maybe it's a salt spreader for plowing), a Jaguar w/ a munched bumper, and a Smart cabriolet 'Passion' trim level...

IMG-4100.jpg

IMG-4101.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

05ACD05E-A195-4368-8C4E-44051C2B8A25.jpeg

Very cool.  I'm guessing this is a Pontiac Phoenix ... '77 to '79 ... most likely with the base engine.  Its predecessor, the Ventura, which used that platform (with leaf spring rear suspension ... don't know the letter code) had nicer frontal styling in '75 and '76.  I thought its engine lineup was almost better, too.   I think PMD was a little misdirected on what to do with the styling of these last few Phoenix years.  Of the foursome sharing this platform, the Ventura got my nod, followed by the Omega, provided both of them had nice trim levels.

Yesterday, I was traveling down the freeway and a dark brown metallic LaCrosse SUPER passed me up.  It had the canted front grille, so it was either a 2008 or a 2009.  The dudes in it had their windows down and were rocking out to some music.  At any rate, I hadn't seen a Super in about a year.  It would be interesting to know how many Supers (5.3L V8) were produced in their V8 years compared to CXs and CXLs.

The RWD X body Phoenix did have a base 2.5L Iron Duke some of the years, which I hope this one did not have.  The 231 V6 would have been adequate. 

• Thanks 1

According to the '77 brochure, the Phoenix had the 231 V6 standard, and the Iron Duke 151, the 305 V8 and 350 V8 as options. Also standard was a 3-spd manual on the column, with a 3 on the floor and a THM optional.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ehaase said:

The RWD X body Phoenix did have a base 2.5L Iron Duke some of the years, which I hope this one did not have.  The 231 V6 would have been adequate. 

I would have never thought that until it went FWD.  Thank you.  So, even when RWD, it was an X body. I vaguely remember all the FWDs GMs on this chassis had 2.5L Iron Dukes and the rudimentary 2.8 V6s, if I'm not mistaken.  Neither engine was in it for the long haul, with each plagued by expensive issues after time. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

According to the '77 brochure, the Phoenix had the 231 V6 standard, and the Iron Duke 151, the 305 V8 and 350 V8 as options. Also standard was a 3-spd manual on the column, with a 3 on the floor and a THM optional.

What a difference a year could make.  If you got the '77 model with a 231 c.i., you got an "odd firing" one.  If you got next year's model, you got an "even firing" one.  I have no idea what the longevity of carbureted 231 c.i. engines of that decade was.  I had one in the '80s and it surpassed 170,000 miles, only coughing up a timing chain along the way.  With it being a non-interference engine, the valvetrain suffered no damage.

‘64-66 T-bird at back end of driveway, barely peeking around pickup. From what I could barely see, has been sitting a long long time.

It's the Fourth of July.  I'm in another major city, in its suburbs.  I'm stopped at a light. 

Next to me is a late model 4 door Chevy Sonic.  The light bulb goes on when I see its plain Jane wheel covers.

I put my window down and motion over to the driver.

"Hey, your car has crank windows, right?"

"Yeah, it does!" (sort of surprised and amused)

Both of us drive off, chuckling, when the light turns green.  All in good fun.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

All cleaned and ready for summer use.

My 1994 GMC SLE suburban.

20200704_205549.jpg

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

The last couple of days, including today.  In order of seeing/spotting/noticing them

• C4 red Corvette on the Mazda dealership used car lot section.   Still there today.   I havent had time to stop and see the details, maybe tomorrow. 
  • dark grey Cadillac CT5.  Probably the 2.0 Turbo.  It has presence on the road seeing it out in the wild, but I wasnt really impressed with it. Probably the colour doesnt do justice to the car. That and I dont like grey on cars. Probably because the base car is kinda bland also.  Too far away to really analyse it but close enough to have an opinion if I like the exterior or not...
  • North American market  MkIV Supra rolling on the opposite side of the road going the other direction.  (Yes, the steering wheel was where it belongs!!!)  Silver.  I dont think it was the turbo model, didnt look like it was.  Wasnt riced out.   (Thank the lord.  It looked stock.) Body was of a well driven Quebec car after all these years. No signs of rust.  Probably kept in the garage during the winter, but it did have some battle scars on the body. It was a decent car.  
  • 1971 blue Chevelle SS with dual white racing stripes.   15 inch Torque Thrust II mags.  Well restored car parked on a street. 
  • 1969 orange Camaro.  All orange.  I doubt it was Chevy's Hugger orange colour.  Maybe it was.  Another well restored car.  Had modern  17 or 18 inch 5 skinny spoke mags.  This car too, was parked. I stopped to analyse the Chevelle. I didnt for the Camaro.  No time.  
  • mid 1960s Chrysler Newport convertible. Blue-ish grey-ish.  Nicely restored car.  In a McDonald's parking lot while I was driving towards a softball practice that was in Montreal. 

And today.   I was going to Home Depot, to Reno-Depot (A Canadian-Montreal based -home renovation store) and back to Home Depot...   2 miles at the most apart. 

• A red on red 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird.  He was leaving Home Depot while I was going in.  When I left Home Depot to go to Reno Depot, I saw that 2002-2005 Thunderbird at the Reno Depot parking lot.
  • While I was driving to Home Depot initially, a Dark Grey (kinda like Carbon Fibre grey colour)  C7  Z06 with a Hennessy cursive logo on the back bumper left side was in the right lane to me driving forward while I turned left to go to Home Depot.  Well, that same C7 was was parked in the lot at the 2nd Home Depot trip. 
  • Coming back home from this romp, an all black no chrome, nothing shiny CT5 was coming towards me on the opposite side. I dont think it was a V car, but it definitely was a Sport trim. This version had a ton more presence. This version looked mean and good and awesome.   I LOVED this version! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Saw this tonight.  Nice color.

The lady left the top down and went into the store.  It's a nicer area, so she figured it would be o.k.

KIMG9093.thumb.JPG.da39056d1d6ab71ea32b7e4707d1bc62.JPG

Anyone who owns a Cascada should hang onto it for a long time.  Especially one like this.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, balthazar said:

It’s a chunky lil toad.

It is indeed.  Not a svelte looking car by any stretch of the imagination.

- - - - -

As for the sighting on Sunday described above, the guy was obviously surprised that someone was able to figure out he had crank windows by his trim level and basic hubcaps.  The post seemed very clear to me.  Of course, @ocnblu needs to add the typical "confused" reaction to ensure the post(er) looks stupid and which seemingly doesn't fetch any points.  Time to grow up.  God, where would be without points? 

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, dfelt said:

All cleaned and ready for summer use.

My 1994 GMC SLE suburban.

20200704_205549.jpg

Realized why I like Rivian Truck and SUV so much, reminds me of the same body style of my beloved Suburban!

image.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

God, where would be without points? 

Can I redeem mine for a coffee percolator or something??

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Can I redeem mine for a coffee percolator or something??

I can remember my Mom doing the points thing in the 70s...can't recall the store, though. 

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Realized why I like Rivian Truck and SUV so much, reminds me of the same body style of my beloved Suburban!

image.png

I like the design of the Rivian, but I don't really see any resemblance to a Suburban other than it's a 4dr wagon. 

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

image.png

This thing is a real production vehicle?  Those front headlights are goofy, but it manages to look like a sinister, testosterone charged, and updated version of the Wally World wagon.  Could it be that it's also green?  Not sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I can remember my Mom doing the points thing in the 70s...can't recall the store, though. 

I like the design of the Rivian, but I don't really see any resemblance to a Suburban other than it's a 4dr wagon. 

When you look at the front end, ignore the headlights or daytime running light bar, but look at the smooth rounded nose of the Rivian to the Suburban. Look at the slit angle of the back of both SUVs. Over all Profile looks very similar to my suburban. Even the belt line down the side, the type of wheel well arches. I see many similar style points. Makes me think the folks that styled the Rivian grew up around the 90's suburban's.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

This thing is a real production vehicle?  Those front headlights are goofy, but it manages to look like a sinister, testosterone charged, and updated version of the Wally World wagon.  Could it be that it's also green?  Not sure.

As @balthazar states, till production starts later this year, it is just a concept. They have a couple dozen test mules running around. They even did a full trip that is documented online driving them from Argentina back north through South America, Central America and into the US back to the corporate campus. Testing the R1T, Truck at high altitude and heat. The auto's did a super job of getting the employees testing the trucks back home. You can also find video clips of their journey on their Rivian Instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/rivianofficial/

Here is the SUV up in Colorado doing some skiing/snowboarding.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Time to grow up.

Well I'm a car geek too, but I would be embarrassed as heck yelling out to a stranger in traffic about their crank.  Unless they were super hot.

Like the time I was behind a lifted, redneck-ified Chevy pickup with aftermarket dual rear exit exhaust.  One pipe was a few inches lower than the other, so I pulled up next to him and yelled "Hey buddy, you got one hangin' low!"  He laughed.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well I'm a car geek too, but I would be embarrassed as heck yelling out to a stranger in traffic about their crank.  Unless they were super hot. 

Ya, I definitely wouldn't be thinking about if a vehicle has manual or power windows in traffic..manual windows seem like an obsolete 20th century artifact like carburetors or bias-ply tires; something I'd never think about.

• Like 1

I try not to think about paper-thin sheet metal, horribly plasticy interiors and rock-hard suspensions; all hopefully-soon obsolete trappings of 21st century vehicles. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

1993 Camaro Z28.  New fat tires. Faded red paint. T-Top.  Original mags.   Awesome car although it was an automatic...  Came to my drive-though. Couldnt talk to the guy. The guy was in his 60s.  

1984-ish Camaro Z28.  That awful beige colour that was offered then.  The skirts were goldish as well as the 5 spoke mags. All original. Paint looked to be in real good condition. The car as well. Parked exactly where the orange 1969 Camaro was parked on Sunday.   (on a side street of the main road that I use to go back and fro from work in front of a modest house) Camaro enthusiast?   Its funny though that all these years, its the first time that I see these cars in front of that house.  

Edited by oldshurst442

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I'm a car geek too, but I would be embarrassed as heck yelling out to a stranger in traffic about their crank. 

Not embarrassed at all.  Most people like to talk about their cars.  It could have been like talking about your horse in the Wild West days.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

talking about your horse

Oh my