NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1985 Pontiac 6000 STE Promo

Ultimate performance sedan?   I liked these cars back in the day.  From the Celebrity to the 6000 to the Cutlass Ciera. The  Century a tad less. 

But...As I was 10 years old then in 1983 and by the time I was 16 my dad bought an '86 Celebrity, I never was once fooled that these cars were all that different from each other and I certainly didnt think these cars were performance oriented...

Who's eyes and ears was this ad meant for and who the phoque did it convince that a Pontiac 6000 was an ultimate performance sedan?   I get the whole 1980's was crap for performance angle as I lived through it, and I know I diss BMWs of this era a lot and I KNOW that even at only 130HP for a family sedan then was some sort of a big number, especially at that price point...but a 6000, or any of its platform mates never had a hint of performance.  It accelerated alright with that 2.8V6, but as far as Im concerned,  alright acceleration does not equate to ultimate performance...

It rode like great family hauler should.  It was a very comfortable ride with some awesome for the time electronic wizardry in its interior  that only higher priced cars had...but again, that does NOT equate to ultimate performance sedan.

Im a little confused with that statement that dude made. 

Posted (edited)

Celebrity Eurosport out-accelerated, handily out-braked, and handily out-handled an Audi 5000S in 1986. It also got a lot better MPG.

The real Euro stuff was generally, spectacularly poor then; people forget. In case anyone doubts (recalling Robert Hall's recent comment that the Eurosport was "neither euro nor sporty") :

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.36.10 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

Well...Ill be damned.

I knew that the real Euros were crappy.  I didnt know they were waaaay worse than GM's FWD A-Platform cars.  

The reason why I was hard on the 6000 just now is that I have driven my dad's 2.5 4 cylinder Celebrity, a friend's 1987 2.8 V6 Eurosport, a friend's 1986 6000 LE 2.8V6 and a friends 1989 Ciera 3.3 V6.  And NONE of them had ANY hint of performance. 

Its just sad that an Audi 5000 is shyttier ...

The FWD A platform cars were never bad cars though.  With the 2.8 V6, they were very reliable. Peppy. And could haul a ,lot of stuff including passengers in comfort.  Actually, even the Iron Duke 2.5 was a reliable engine choice in the A Platform. 

The germans didnt really get their sheet together until the ‘90s sometime. I spent some time one day in a ‘90- something A4 and it was just junk.

About the A4 though.  Junk or not.  The A4 was the car that started Audi's ascension in the North American market.  And it skyrocketed Audi into superstardom. It debuted in 1995.   I never said it was a good car. I said it reversed  Audi's meh perception in North America and it turned Audi around 180 degrees.  The 1.8T and Quattro were the other factors.  The cutesy  styling didnt hurt either.  

And yes.  German cars came into their own in the mid-1990s.  America was starting to really hate on American cars at this time so it was a perfect time for the Germans to get their shyte together when they did.   

The Pontiac 6000, in my opinion, was the best car from its other  platform mates.  It had better styling.  (Well, the Celebrity was also a good looking boxy car too)  It offered the more engaging suspension tune-up from the others.  (if you could call it that). It had the advanced electronics in the interior.  The other ones didnt offer any of that  If I remember correctly. It also had an AWD variant in 1989.   The interior quality was on par to anything coming from Japan or Germany.  Yes.  The interior quality of these were very very good!  Compared to the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera,  the "more luxury" version" I feel as if the 6000 did luxury better than the Ciera did.   It was well rounded. More so than the other A Platform playmates.  

Its just a shame that GM replaced all A Platform cars with the W-Body.  What I want to say is that the  RWD G Platform went FWD W Body in 1987 or 1988.  The A Platform replaced the X-Body in the early 1980s. But by the time the 1990s came along, the A Platform was just phased into 4 door W-Body versions.  The Celebrity became the W-Body 4 door Lumina. There was a Celebrity coupe too, that became the W-Body 2 door Lumina. 

The Pontiac 6000 coupe and 4 door disappeared and the W-Body Grand Prix coupe and sedan took over.  

The Ciera had a long long life. The coupe disappeared. 

But the Century also disappeared and shared its life with the Regal W-Body.   

I guess the Corsica was meant to  be the one to be above the Cavalier.  But GM also had a Pontiac version too. The Tempest. Plus the Grand Am.  

I dont know.   Lots of confusing from GM executives on what platforms should survive from what brands and what vehicles should be offered.

Alls Im saying is that the Celebrity and 6000 had just as much brand recognition as the Cutlass Ciera and were dearly respected (if not downright loved) by their respective owners.  They really were good vehicles.  The Lumina certainly didnt get the same accolades and sales as the Celebrity did.   Maybe its because the W-Body in its 1st generation was plagued with problems?  

The Lumina's problem was its very weak 3.1V6 engine.  Gutless and no torque.  If you got a Cutlass Supreme or a Regal with the 3800, those were much better choices.

The W-body came out in January 1988.  I liked the W body, even though the W body coupes were disturbingly small (Pontiac especially).

Had a ‘03 GP with the 3100, it was in no way ‘very weak’. Totally acceptable performance. Yes; the 3800 had more moxi, and the 3100 wasn’t a ‘performance’ car engine, but it was more than adequate. 
Also had no issues with the room- it was snug in a sporty manner in the GP, fit myself and my son (both 5’8”) very well.

25 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Had a ‘03 GP with the 3100, it was in no way ‘very weak’. Totally acceptable performance. Yes; the 3800 had more moxi, and the 3100 wasn’t a ‘performance’ car engine, but it was more than adequate. 
Also had no issues with the room- it was snug in a sporty manner in the GP, fit myself and my son (both 5’8”) very well.

The Lumina I rented was a 1991 model and that 3.1L V6 was pathetic and had no torque.  I am sure GM figured out what was wrong and fixed it by the time that engine came in your 2003 Grand Prix.

• Upvote 1

My very first rental car was a white '95 Ciera in Washington DC.  Drove it around the area for a long weekend of playing tourist.  I remember it was decent but very dated inside, felt like the early 80s car it was.   25 years ago... was a grad student at the U of Michigan and went to DC for a conference then stayed there after for a long weekend. 

Wonder in 10 years how many of these dead name plates will even be remembered. 🤔