Item: 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That looks really close to Oldsmobile blue. When did they stop using green on the Buick engines?

I am interested to see what @balthazar digs up as I found 1967 was the last year of green Buick Motors.

1961-67 Buick Green Engine Paint? - Buick - General - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

image.png

Here is a 55 that is undergoing restoration according to the link above that I posted.

image.png

Pulled the fan guard, fan shroud, alternator, PS pump, upper hose, and loosened a bunch of other bolts. Fan was already out. Bolts are coming out very willingly; it WANTS to roll again!

• Upvote 2

rest of vacuum lines & acceleration linkage disconnected, all intake bolts removed. Took off valve covers to give a bit more room to work at the seam between the intake & the heads, did some prying, no budging yet. Under valve covers showing grayed, mostly-hardened sludge. Makes me feel better about pulling the motor.

• Upvote 1

Took about 20 mins AFTER everything was disconnected, but got the 4bbl & intake off. 
More visual reaffirmation, in the form of rust, scunge and filth- that a rebuild is in order. 

1AF59CE5-9EF3-4D4F-91CF-1C8575308F42.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• cleaned both valve covers to 90% outside, 100% inside. Need to fire my sandblaster cab back up to take care of the last bit.
• cleaned up 3 intake brackets (2 wire looms, a PCV hose bracket) and shot them with self-etch primer.
• shampooed the carpet- came out really good.
• got hardware for the intake ready for paint (have to keep them in correct order- a few different length bolts). 

• Upvote 1

Pursuing a couple engines rebuilder options. Guy #2 has a year backlog and is priced significantly higher than I hoped to go.
Guy #1 states he should be able to take it in about 4 months. This is the same builder who's working on my brother's 1100 hp Pontiac motor. I'm going to work on other sub-systems in the meantime, while also working on more engine pieces as far as disassembly/cleaning/painting. 

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Tri-P loosely assembled to check fitment and that everything looked correct. Nice, don’tcha think? 

B6DE902E-0DC9-484C-AD84-D83B1944D5CA.jpeg

Choke only on the center?  I've never studied how tri-carb setups even work.  I assume that it opens all three at the same time when you step on the pedal... not progressively opening additional carbs as you give it more pedal like a QuadraJet does.

Yes; it runs off the center 2bbl. End carbs have no idle circuits/choke, only come online at about 75% throttle.
'Progressive' opening via mechanical linkage (was originally vacuum actuated, but no one wants that system now).

A Q-Jet is a 2bbl that adds 2 more bbls. Try-Power is a 2bbl that adds 4 more bbls. 😁 

A Q-jet is commonly 750 cfm, Buicks, Cadillacs & a handful of hi-po GMs had 800 cfm.
There was a hyper-uncommon 850 cfm Q-Jet, probably a RA IV or L88 piece.
This tri-Power is 883 cfm.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yes; it runs off the center 2bbl. End carbs have no idle circuits/choke, only come online at about 75% throttle.
'Progressive' opening via mechanical linkage (was originally vacuum actuated, but no one wants that system now).

A Q-Jet is a 2bbl that adds 2 more bbls. Try-Power is a 2bbl that adds 4 more bbls. 😁 

A Q-jet is commonly 750 cfm, Buicks, Cadillacs & a handful of hi-po GMs had 800 cfm.
There was a hyper-uncommon 850 cfm Q-Jet, probably a RA IV or L88 piece.
This tri-Power is 883 cfm.

The 800 cfm is all Q-Jets after 1972. But the big difference is that the secondaries are twice the size of the primaries.

Not that 800 cfm even matters on my engine with tiny valves and manifold.

Thats interesting that it takes you two additional carbs and four additional barrels to beat an ‘81 e-Qjet in CFM 😉

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The 800 cfm is all Q-Jets after 1972.

'75 by my source (and via my experience). Those are commonly termed 'emission Q-Jets' that incorporate a host of features undesirable WRT performance. Those carbs routinely are shunned. The fact that there was a unilateral move to 800 cfm at a point where HP outputs were down by 50% tells you what was going on; airflow to overcome emission 'burdens', not enable greater power.

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thats interesting that it takes you two additional carbs and four additional barrels to beat an ‘81 e-Qjet in CFM

True, but note that was done almost a decade before the 800. CFM is CFM, and that's all that counts. 😁

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1