Jump to content
trinacriabob

Hot August (2020) days or nights of car spotting

Recommended Posts

Just saw an immaculate Pontiac Grand Prix, 2004 (had trunk lock), in "Light Urine Sample Gold" metallic with FL plates w(h)izzing by me on the freeway in the fast lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t report modern stuff simply because it is everywhere (unless its only weeks old or extremely uncommon). This is neither; my son was upgraded to a Camaro at Enterprise. I strong-armed my way behind the wheel to gas it before returning. V6, 275 HP. Yes; it scoots! 

AFA21BA3-F809-49B8-9692-E69004E600DD.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, balthazar said:

I don’t report modern stuff simply because it is everywhere (unless its only weeks old or extremely uncommon). This is neither; my son was upgraded to a Camaro at Enterprise. I strong-armed my way behind the wheel to gas it before returning. V6, 275 HP. Yes; it scoots! 

AFA21BA3-F809-49B8-9692-E69004E600DD.jpeg

Woohoo.  West Virginia plates.  That's where the fictitious Clarice Starling from "Silence of the Lambs" hailed from.   Hannibal tried to put her down for her lineage.

These two like to park next to each other ... two generations of Dodge Charger, in black.

KIMG9469.thumb.JPG.abf2abf08d3ad60ef8e1036a60edde2c.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Fraternal twins" having a heart to heart conversation (on August 2)

 

KIMG9822.thumb.JPG.82dd6486ba58635c7e2cd2e96b426f59.JPG

(IMO, the two best colors for either of these Mopars)

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an early August sighting in the subtropics.  He knew I took this photo.  He told me it was a 2005 with about 160,000 original miles.

KIMG9875.thumb.JPG.29c802769fb0cb97219dd577d11259e2.JPG

Those tires and wheels are a MUST.  LOL. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Here's an early August sighting in the subtropics.  He knew I took this photo.  He told me it was a 2005 with about 160,000 original miles.

KIMG9875.thumb.JPG.29c802769fb0cb97219dd577d11259e2.JPG

Those tires and wheels are a MUST.  LOL. 

🤔 Is this what they call Mini Donked? 🤔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, David said:

🤔 Is this what they call Mini Donked? 🤔

Mostly, I get a kick of this newer vernacular of soccer slides and white socks.  You can't be a white person and pull it off.

When I was growing up, you wore white socks ... and maybe - BIG maybe - white ankle socks with tennis shoes, most of which were mainly white.  If you wore dark socks with tennis shoes, you were out of style, nerdy, or possibly a German or Scandinavian tourist.

Now, and especially in Europe, you wear dark socks with tennis shoes, which tend to be of many colors, and that includes dark ankle socks.

I wish I could "get the memo" on these things on a timely basis.  Therefore, it's easier to wear flip flops and avoid socks altogether when the weather is good.  You won't be making any "mistakes" that way.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Mostly, I get a kick of this newer vernacular of soccer slides and white socks.  You can't be a white person and pull it off.

When I was growing up, you wore white socks ... and maybe - BIG maybe - white ankle socks with tennis shoes, most of which were mainly white.  If you wore dark socks with tennis shoes, you were out of style, nerdy, or possibly a German or Scandinavian tourist.

Now, and especially in Europe, you wear dark socks with tennis shoes, which tend to be of many colors, and that includes dark ankle socks.

I wish I could "get the memo" on these things on a timely basis.  Therefore, it's easier to wear flip flops and avoid socks altogether when the weather is good.  You won't be making any "mistakes" that way.

No need to worry in the PNW, we are all a little weird and different. This is a very common style up here. There is no right or wrong, wear what is comfortable and you like.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a drive yesterday afternoon...had to get out of the house.  Went on about a 20 mile loop down through the nearby national park, saw a really clean medium green w/ white roof  '60 Thunderbird, the dark blue '69/70 Grand Prix I've seen a few times, and a white '20 C8 Corvette.  Was beautiful but hot and humid out.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

and a white '20 C8 Corvette. 

I saw another one a few days ago.  I'm liking this car.  The mid-engine look is interesting and makes it look "balanced."  Some article was released and it was considered one of the best 10 cars of 2020.  They went as far as to say that, in base form, it's a bargain for what it is.

I know the base engine is a 6.2 L V8.  I've seen that engine on specs every now and then.  I believe it's about 368 c.i.  I'm wondering why they couldn't have kept the venerable 5.7 L.  Maybe the 5.7 label is too long in the tooth and signals no innovation.

- - - - -

During the first week of August, I was at a gas station in FL and saw an immaculate mid-90s Cutlass Supreme (SL trim) coupe in white with burgundy buckets and alloy wheels.  As the guy was gassing up, I learned it was a '95 (which I had guessed), it had a 3.1 V6 (which I had guessed), and had about 160,000 miles.  He couldn't believe I knew so much about it. The guy was originally from England (looked like he could have been related to Australian Paul Hogan) and said he loved the car - its reliability, comfort, and mostly how economical it was in using fuel.  This car was 25 years old and it must have been tight!  Would have taken a photo but the situation just wasn't right for that.

It's like being put into a time tunnel when you see something with burgundy cloth bucket seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I saw another one a few days ago.  I'm liking this car.  The mid-engine look is interesting and makes it look "balanced."  Some article was released and it was considered one of the best 10 cars of 2020.  They went as far as to say that, in base form, it's a bargain for what it is.

I know the base engine is a 6.2 L V8.  I've seen that engine on specs every now and then.  I believe it's about 368 c.i.  I'm wondering why they couldn't have kept the venerable 5.7 L.  Maybe the 5.7 label is too long in the tooth and signals no innovation.

 

There hasn't been a 5.7 V8 in a Corvette since the C5, over 15 years ago.   With the C6, they first had a 6.0 V8, with a 6.2 and 7.0 in some variations..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: socks and sandals.  I’ve avoided that, not a fan of the look.  I tend to wear sandals/flippy floppies without socks around the house and yard all summer, but I don’t like driving in them.  I usually wear deck shoes (Rockports) without socks when I go out in the summer.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Re: socks and sandals.  I’ve avoided that, not a fan of the look.  I tend to wear sandals/flippy floppies without socks around the house and yard all summer, but I don’t like driving in them.  I usually wear deck shoes (Rockports) without socks when I go out in the summer.  

Only problem I see with the no socks on sandals or shoes is the sweat from the feet make a very unpleasant smell. For me, the wife has stopped the crazy sock look by getting me booties. I have white, black and grey, so this way it tends to match my flip flops, sandals or shoes.

image.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a poor sense of smell, can't tell if my feet smell or not (though I shower everyday and the dogs lick my feet).. heh heh.  I do have some of those shorty socks, though...wear those sometimes w/ low cut shoes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I tend to wear sandals/flippy floppies without socks around the house and yard all summer, but I don’t like driving in them.  

Yes.  Please don't drive in them.  At the most, 2 or 3 blocks at lower speeds to pick up some groceries at the market.  Some countries, and possibly some states, have laws about driving while wearing footwear that is not held in place with a strap.  Not completely sure.  And, if they don't, these sorts of laws might be a good idea, though hard to enforce. 

Not at all a "don't tread on me" issue but a public safety issue.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I have a poor sense of smell, can't tell if my feet smell or not (though I shower everyday and the dogs lick my feet).. heh heh.  I do have some of those shorty socks, though...wear those sometimes w/ low cut shoes.

Dogs are good for getting that salt we leave behind. Doggy Massage with the tongue. :D 

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yes.  Please don't drive in them.  At the most, 2 or 3 blocks at lower speeds to pick up some groceries at the market.  Some countries, and possibly some states, have laws about driving while wearing footwear that is not held in place with a strap.  Not completely sure.  And, if they don't, these sorts of laws might be a good idea, though hard to enforce. 

Not at all a "don't tread on me" issue but a public safety issue.

Here in Washington, you cannot wear flip flops while driving a car, motorcycle or bike. Must have secure footwear.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going up and down stairs with flip flops is hard enough, I wouldn't want to drive in them...and most of them aren't good orthopedically. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Going up and down stairs with flip flops is hard enough, I wouldn't want to drive in them...and most of them aren't good orthopedically. 

I have inserts in all my shoes and was prescribed orthopedic flip flops to wear in the house so that I have something solid on my arch's at all times.

A bit pricy, but when done via insurance, these are amazing to wear around the house and even outside. I have two pairs, one for outside wear and one for inside wear.

If you have ever had Plantar Fasciitis, these are the sandals for you. Even if you have never had foot issues, these are worth the money. Molded to support your feet.

image.png

https://www.hammacher.com/product/plantar-fasciitis-orthotic-sandal?source=PRODSEM&cm_ven=HS&cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=BingPLA&cm_ite=&zmam=zmas=1&zmac=28&zmap=76997&msclkid=2d25e9df105e189a8641b6e771eaa037&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) High Margin - Shopping&utm_term=4580153131929575&utm_content=Plantar Fasciitis

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...I could probably use those...I've pronated my whole life...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...I could probably use those...I've pronated my whole life...

Honestly Robert, they will change your life. I was shocked at how comfy they are and how better my legs and back felt when I started wearing them in the house. During winter time, feet are never cold wearing them. Better posture, over all better Health I believe.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic, I got a delivery from one of my favorite local places tonight, Door Dash delivery driver was driving a sharp dark red '19-20 CT6..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only auto's I have seen in the last 5 days that are not my own are the Amazon Prime Delivery vans. :P So much Grey with a little bit of blue.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Here in Washington, you cannot wear flip flops while driving a car, motorcycle or bike. Must have secure footwear.

I did not know that.  And I once lived there.  (One or two communities over from you!)  Any idea when this law was enacted ... more or less?

Not a good idea to be driving up and down a stop and go I-5 or I-405 with flip flops, sandals, or the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David said:

The only auto's I have seen in the last 5 days that are not my own are the Amazon Prime Delivery vans. :P So much Grey with a little bit of blue.

Yep, I see them, the brown UPS vans and white Fed Ex vans pretty often.    A couple years ago I happened to step out one morning to see an Amazon van, Fed Ex van, and UPS van parked in a row in front of my house, and a USPS truck across the street...like they had synchronized their deliveries....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I did not know that.  And I once lived there.  (One or two communities over from you!)  Any idea when this law was enacted ... more or less?

Not a good idea to be driving up and down a stop and go I-5 or I-405 with flip flops, sandals, or the like.

Do not remember when exactly, but last year when I renewed my drivers license and I requested an Enhanced, it was part of the stuff they reviewed about changed in state law that they went over with me. Thought it was interesting, but I always hear the WSP talk about safe foot wear when Driving does not mean you wear flip flops. Seattle will ticket you if you have them on when on a Motorcycle or Bike as they remind everyone that they are illegal when riding. Last 2 years been allot of talk about safe footwear, head gear, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to run to the post office this morning, saw a really clean maroon 1st gen Aurora. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy is working on a Buick GS350 coupe, I think it's a '70 (no grille or emblems currently). Has it primered & running well, burns fat tires well.  Beater muscle car is the plan.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran out to Taco Time, too hot and humid to cook. Saw this old T-bird.20200820_174140.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Saw my first Corvette C8 today.  Torch Red.    All trims were black. The side vents, the rear spoiler, etc.  It was the standard spoiler. The mags were  the standard 5 open spoke wheels and they were  black.   

The interior was red with all accents being black.  

The C8 out in about in red, with black accents with a red leather interior and black accents just pops. Awesome combo through and through.    It most definitely got that exotic flair.  Its a gorgeous car. 

I think if I was to buy one, Id go with that exact combo.    

For a Z06, I think I have to wait to see how Chevy will stylize it before I dream of colours for it, but boy-oh-boy the Stingray in Torch Red is hot hot hot.

It was like this:

Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray unveiled. This is the supercar to own in  2019 |

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the gas station and car wash today, first time I'd been to either in almost 6 months.  Felt strange but almost 'normal'.    Saw a dark blue C8 Corvette at the gas station, had a temporary tag and the black rear lower fascia was cracked out and taped in place. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling out of a parking garage, I saw an incoming last gen, front engine Corvette.  It was white with burgundy leather bucket seats.  The removable tops (whatever they're called) were off to take in the sunshine.  I heard a nice, healthy exhaust note as it drove past me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seen on Saturday ... what a treat to see one of these.  I'm guessing this is a Thunderbird of 1994 to 1997 vintage, more or less.  Not too shabby for a 25 year old car.  A friend of mine had one in silver (with the V6) and a girl I knew had one in that metallic color that looked like a grapefruit (with a V8) that also had a sunroof.  

KIMG0623.thumb.JPG.7ab6cfc099fd19e12e50b58a31379090.JPG

If I recall, these Thunderbirds came with a lot of standard equipment (almost all power options) and had a base model MSRP of around $17 K or thereabouts.  They offered a good value.

KIMG0629.thumb.JPG.c2daf986d6669d9791814f5c657aed3f.JPG

Ford used these aluminum alloy wheels for quite a while.

KIMG0632.thumb.JPG.031d2b30dc10b73ca5349a25ff3c2d92.JPG

Would this be pin striping ... or pimp striping?  Regardless, you don't see it much anymore.

KIMG0630.thumb.JPG.ff193fcde3b2d2f7c3905b506a65e764.JPG

Attractive rear tail lamp set up

KIMG0624.thumb.JPG.853ae3c1aadc2dbe9e5de1d79af52df3.JPG

You rarely see comfortable cloth bucket seats like this anymore

KIMG0625.thumb.JPG.012877b28cd558e08b02384f86507ee7.JPG

This generation of Thunderbird had the two big sweeps in the dash dialed ... and it looked good.

I got to drive one of these one.  It may have also been silver.  It had the 4.6 SOHC V8.  I had it on a trip to Vancouver, Canada.  It performed beautifully, with enough power and plenty of smoothness, and was fairly good on gas.  Who'd have thunk the 4.6 V8 would have powered FoMoCo's flagship cars going forward for quite a long time?

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'65 Riviera roared past me couple afternoons ago, dark blue, some sort of rappy mufflers on it. Clean but unrestored/ not perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young kid in a black metallic late model V6 Charger, spotless, with loud mufflers.  I might think it sounds dorky, but he was clearly proud, and that kind of made my day in a way, seeing young kids taking pride in their rides in the year 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

• Cadillac CT4 or CT5, grey with all black trim, came ripping around a tight-ish corner, going uphill, was on it hard. Sounded decent from behind.

• Porsche Taycan, Frozen Blue, waiting to pull out of a side street.

Edited by balthazar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of talk about car interiors on Random Thoughts today and, as I'm getting something to eat at Mickey D's, I see a newer Lexus with a burgundy interior ... and a feisty dog inside.

KIMG0653.thumb.JPG.a85814c6510c56c31ba34fa5066d3d4b.JPG

Decent enough burgundy inside, in leather.  It was a Lexus IS 350 AWD, once I got behind it in the drive through. The sun was obviously setting.  I made a noise to the dog.  I thought it was a lab.  When it turned toward me, it had a white patch below the collar.  Not a pure lab.  Dogs are like little kids.  They get rambunctious when riding around in the car.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Spotted August 26 on yet another trip through Arby's drive through, this time to get a Reuben sandwich:

KIMG0635-2.thumb.jpg.6d8fee318f701c230c5098efb2b16d5d.jpg

Looks ominous - don't know what it is, what year it is, or what engine it might have had

KIMG0638-2.thumb.jpg.af4f92676660b4e4baa53aeb53a17732.jpg

A true "getaway car" - it got away from fitting snugly inside my photo

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Something from around 1938-1941,  going by the bulbous shape and headlight placement.   Can't read the badge on the rear.  Interesting high mounted taillights. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Something from around 1938-1941,  going by the bulbous shape and headlight placement.   Can't read the badge on the rear.  Interesting high mounted taillights. 

Looks like a modern "Oldsmobile" nameplate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Looks like a modern "Oldsmobile" nameplate.

I thought that also...but the taillights threw me, only looked at pics of '39-41 Olds..but going back a year further, I see those taillights on the '38 Olds.  '37 had them also. 

 

1938-oldsmobile-eight-MKPXB8.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also spotted later on August 26.  Is it any wonder that LA fitness members also use this parking structure?

KIMG0642.thumb.JPG.5465e747a2c10059e5302cc3143b9323.JPG

I bought a few things, came back, and, sure enough, an LA Fitness dude opened up the Ford truck to get into it.  I asked him if this trio was staged.  He said it wasn't.  Of these three, the prize for the front grille (without all the added on stuff) goes to Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New Corvette in Rapid Blue... a beauty

Edited by ocnblu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have my left hand carpal tunnel surgery this coming Thursday, so had to go to the Hospital today for a Covid-19 test. On the way there, I passed a lovely 2 door pontiac convertible in the Chevrolet sunburst orange paint.

Looked like this, even the chrome. Wished I had been able to snap a pic, it was lovely. Senior driving and a 40's something man, maybe his son in the passenger seat. Was so cool to see.

image.png

The color was like on this 1965 Riviera Which is a lovely car.

image.png

On the way home, passed a Ford FOOSE pickup truck. Looked just like this 2008 Foose. Very clean, clearly garage kept, put down the window and you could hear a lite growl. Was nice to see.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran to Costco today and parked right next to this. They are tall.

20200827_105225.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe red tow hooks = Trail Boss, so factory plus a 2-in lift. But yeah: lofty.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I believe red tow hooks = Trail Boss, so factory plus a 2-in lift. But yeah: lofty.

Z71 emblems/package. I honestly was surprised by the height, without the side running boards, most people would need a two handed lift to get into the truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the 2" factory lift on the Trailboss, the Trailblazer SS was factory LOWERED.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No question these trucks are tall in general; this is my beater 2500HD (factory ride height) next to a new F-350: 

IMG_1105.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...