A thing has been done....

Neither, I will mostly keep it stock. I may swap out the grille, headlights, and tail lights for something more modern. I’ll keep it subtle and tasteful though.

but, because it’s been sitting so long, I have to change a lot of the fluids out. I’ll be doing an oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, diff oil change, and possibly tires if they’re dry rotted. So that will need to be addressed first... 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh and what’s everyone’s opinion on rust proofing undercoating?

being on the east coast, totally support doing that. I would also do the coating on the wheel well's which helps keep things quieter from rocks. 

I totally agree with what this site says about it.

https://soundproofguide.com/vehicle-undercoating-for-noise-reduction/

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

Glad to see you are back Drew.

Are you planning to do anything about infotainment system?  Install Carplay/Android Auto compatible system?

Not at this time.  In unrelated news, after over a decade with Android (I was on the original G1 phone), I jumped ship to Apple and bought an iPhone 11 Pro in June.  My Pixel XL battery could no longer hold a charge.  The current Pixel 4XL got terrible reviews, particularly around battery life and I couldn't wait any longer for the 5 to come out in October.  So my iPhone 11 should work with the inbuilt system for playing music.  I pretty much only use Apple Music now and that works well in my Buick's system.  So in light of the fact that I need to do all the fluids, undercoating, and possibly tires, a sound system is pretty low on the priority list. 

The other reason I'm not going to do it soon is that I don't like any of the head units that are out there.  Nearly all of them light up like you're throwing some sort of disco party.  I don't like that. I want something that looks as close to the stock system as possible.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not at this time.  In unrelated news, after over a decade with Android (I was on the original G1 phone), I jumped ship to Apple and bought an iPhone 11 Pro in June.  My Pixel XL battery could no longer hold a charge.  The current Pixel 4XL got terrible reviews, particularly around battery life and I couldn't wait any longer for the 5 to come out in October.  So my iPhone 11 should work with the inbuilt system for playing music.  I pretty much only use Apple Music now and that works well in my Buick's system.  So in light of the fact that I need to do all the fluids, undercoating, and possibly tires, a sound system is pretty low on the priority list. 

The other reason I'm not going to do it soon is that I don't like any of the head units that are out there.  Nearly all of them light up like you're throwing some sort of disco party.  I don't like that. I want something that looks as close to the stock system as possible.

The disco party thing is a reason I ended up with the following head unit in my SS. No party just a clean interface and works great with Android / Apple.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-2500NEX#downloads

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

These are the headlight clusters I'm considering....

2020-08-10 (1).png

2020-08-10 (2).png

I really like these. They have my Vote for the new headlights to get.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wanted to see how the first set of lights would look like...as I was intrigued by that C shaped LED look.  

Amazon.com: AmeriLite 2007-2013 Super Bright LED Bar Projector Black  Headlights Pair For Chevy Avalanche Suburban Tahoe - Passenger and Driver  Side: Automotive

And I decided...yeah...no way!   The look gets cheapened by the halogen looking parking lights on the bottom cluster.

Then I came across a direct front view of the second set of lights

AlphaRex For 07-14 Chevy Tahoe/07-14 Suburban/07-13 Avalanche Polished  Black DRL LED Tube Dual Projector Headlights Left/Right Replacement  Assembly: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

And the there is something missing in the middle so although I DO prefer the 2 set upper projector and 2 set lower projector look  rather than the Acura style jewel cluster look, JUST BECAUSE the middle of the clusters there is that double LED separation, THAT creates harmony NOT only between the top and bottom lights,  but with the grille  too.

THEREFORE, I also think the third set of lights is best.  

For 07-14 Chevy Tahoe Surburban Avalanche Chrome Nova Projector Headlights  | eBay

My ideal would be the dual projectors on top, the jewels on the bottom with the double LED separation in the middle. If there was such a thing...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 8/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

8e519d2ae61447a2aee3f323ce6a1c01.jpg

Nice exterior color, indeed.  However, I've got to say that, for their trucks/SUVs/CUVs, GM seems to make more attractive instrument panels and interiors than other car makers ... nice lines, contours, etc.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David said:

The disco party thing is a reason I ended up with the following head unit in my SS. No party just a clean interface and works great with Android / Apple.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-2500NEX#downloads

Have you ever seen an aftermarket system that can still do the car brand logo on bootup like the OEM systems do?

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Have you ever seen an aftermarket system that can still do the car brand logo on bootup like the OEM systems do?

Hi Drew, I know most of the smart head units now have theme that allows you to choose the background image. Reading the owners guide for my head unit which I have never changed the default theme, it would seem that you can do this. I will test it it on my system this week and let ya know.

My habit is to remote start the auto, unlock, get in and plug in my phone and the first thing I see is the Android screen, so I honestly have not looked to see what it does when you manually start the auto. I will test this and let you know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That is a fine looking Avalanche.  I think the brake line problem with GM trucks of earlier gens involved moisture in the lines, allowing the lines to weaken and burst with pressure.  My Dad and brother have '03 and '04 Silverado 1500s, and both of them had full stainless lines installed after failure of the factory lines.  This only occurred in the last couple of years, so they went a long time.  It is a widespread problem, though.  I haven't heard that it persisted into trucks as new as your Avalanche.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, ocnblu said:

That is a fine looking Avalanche.  I think the brake line problem with GM trucks of earlier gens involved moisture in the lines, allowing the lines to weaken and burst with pressure.  My Dad and brother have '03 and '04 Silverado 1500s, and both of them had full stainless lines installed after failure of the factory lines.  This only occurred in the last couple of years, so they went a long time.  It is a widespread problem, though.  I haven't heard that it persisted into trucks as new as your Avalanche.

There's a Suburban on Albert's side of the family with 120k miles on it.  I don't remember the exact year, but it's the same generation as my truck.  That Suburban had to have the brake lines done a couple years ago and it was prohibitively expensive.  The kicker was that they're south west of DC and don't get much snow, so salt isn't used often and yet those lines still went.

That's the situation I'm trying to avoid. 

I've bought a bunch of accessories for it.  I bought a shorty antenna to replace the whip one. I got a center console organizer. I bought rubber cupholder inserts for all 4 spots. I found a NOS bag for the tonneau covers from a 2004 because for some reason GM stopped including the bag and instead supplied a strap system (which I have).  I bought a trailer receiver cover. I've ordered a better magnetic phone mount that is super thin and will be barely noticeable. 

I have 3 road trip scheduled in it over the next three weekends. I have to head to north of philly to help my grandmother move into assisted living next weekend, then I have a vacation in the western maryland mountains, and then back to see my grandmother again.  

I am so happy with this truck, it's been great.

Also, my dad did a thing too.  His 1993 F-150 with 500k miles finally toasted the engine.  He's keeping it and putting a new engine in it.  But in the meantime, he bought a 2017 F250 Superduty CrewCab with the 8ft bed and the 6.7 TD. Bought it from Texas so it's completely rust free. 75k miles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Oh also, he has a name!

I have always always always named my vehicles with female names (when they got anthropomorphized names, not all did).... I've had Eva, Victoria, Debbie, Ernestine, and Norma.  

But none of the female names I was mulling over seemed to fit... it just doesn't feel like a female vehicle.

So in the end, I decided I liked Gus. He's named after Gus Kenworthy, the hot, out, Olympic Gold winning skier. You know.. Avalanche... snow skiing... that's the connection.

set_gus_kenworthy_espn_magazine_640.jpg

• Agree 2

On 8/13/2020 at 6:11 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

There's a place I'm looking at near work that it's their specialty and it's all they do.  They'll do a descaling and then rust proof it. It's $596 and includes underbody and all body insides. They include annual checkups and touchups for 7 years/unlimited miles. One thing I know is an issue with this generation is the brake lines rusting out, so I want them to pay special attention to that.  http://www.rustrepairinc.com/

I only had time to get some video last night.  I'll take some more pictures this weekend.  We're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon, so I doubt I'll be taking any pics today.

Congrats and welcome to the full-size Chevy truck club man! That's quite an upgrade and size increase over the Buick Encore, don't scrape the shiny wheels on a curb cutting corners, Gus needs much more room to turn in corners :D👍🏼:unitedstates: 

• Agree 2

I need a front plate..... what do you guys recommend.

I saw a chrome one with the gold bowtie logo on it, but I felt that might be a bit over the top with all the other chrome up front and of course the giant gold bowtie on the grille. 

Link me!

This Avalanche front plate is nice, a bit pricey..

https://www.etrailer.com/License-Plates-and-Frames/DWD-Plastics/312770.html

Now that Ohio no longer requires a front plate, I've thought of getting a Jeep plate for my Jeep...

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

This Avalanche front plate is nice, a bit pricey..

https://www.etrailer.com/License-Plates-and-Frames/DWD-Plastics/312770.html

Now that Ohio no longer requires a front plate, I've thought of getting a Jeep plate for my Jeep...

Ooooh I like that!

I may have a problem 

A44EDED6-FC27-4051-940E-DE3337736C24.jpeg4AB20DF5-7D63-4A66-B63A-4EF7FE1C836A.jpeg

• Agree 2