Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Yet another thing is being done

Drew Dowdell

The Encore's time with us is nearing its end.  It needs tires, brakes, and possibly a master cylinder.  When I was under it last weekend installing new LED headlights and fog lamps I noticed oil coating the oil pan and the coolant reservoir tank was nearly empty.  We've had a coolant leak issue before when the thermostat housing cracked.  It's not exhibiting any symptoms currently beside the tank being low... but it lit up my radar.

Carvana is offering $8,200 in trade for a 2013 Encore with 101k miles... so I think I'd be dumb not to take that offer up before I have to sink $1,200+ dollars into it.  That's the trap we got caught in with the CR-V, we kept sinking money into it thinking we'd hold on to it longer, but it would only last about 2 months before it demanded more money.

So we had a car picked out as of last night, but Albert is having doubts, so I'm canceling the purchase process.  

Watch this space. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

2018 Cadillac CTS AWD V6 Luxury Group

He actually picked it out, but now he thinks he wants to stick with an SUV.

Dang, I dig the look of the CTS's. I don't blame him for wanting to stick to an SUV though.. I'm not too old yet and still just like the ease of entry and exit of a smaller SUV(basically anything that isn't BOF-large) over a car.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Dang, I dig the look of the CTS's. I don't blame him for wanting to stick to an SUV though.. I'm not too old yet and still just like the ease of entry and exit of a smaller SUV(basically anything that isn't BOF-large) over a car.

Oddly,  I was ambivalent about the CTS.  I liked the first and second generations, but the 3rd gens really didn't do much for me except in V or V-Sport trim, neither of which are options because they only come in RWD.

It's not really him getting into and out of the vehicle.  It's getting his parents in and out.  Since they don't drive anymore, we cart them around places, so his vehicle purchase has to account for them.

He's being a pain though... he's vetoed anything with an all black interior now.  He wants a nice brown interior like we have in our Encore. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oddly,  I was ambivalent about the CTS.  I liked the first and second generations, but the 3rd gens really didn't do much for me except in V or V-Sport trim, neither of which are options because they only come in RWD.

It's not really him getting into and out of the vehicle.  It's getting his parents in and out.  Since they don't drive anymore, we cart them around places, so his vehicle purchase has to account for them.

He's being a pain though... he's vetoed anything with an all black interior now.  He wants a nice brown interior like we have in our Encore. 

I so can relate as what the wife wants and what is available are two different things.

Best of luck finding that warm mocha brown interior in the auto he wants.

22 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I can't blame the all black interior veto. I'm over them myself. 

• Agree 3

The Auto History does show some lovely options that I just do not get why GM cannot realize people would like options.

Cadillac has done it recently in the Escalade.

image.png

Even the XT5 did at the start have options and yet now back to black / grey it would seem for the most part.

image.png

Had it in the past such as this 1976 Eldorado.

image.png

CTS sedan of the past with their Red n Black interior with Carbon accents.

image.png

Even the Buick Lacrosse was considered to have an outstanding interior of contrast for 2017.

image.png

Buick Avista Concept was outstanding.

image.png

Why can GM not realize that Black, Grey, Blah interiors we do not want. If they can show it in a concept, give it to us in production.

Remember the crushed Velet 1976 Buick interiors?

image.png

While not a White interior fan, I will say that the Buick Riviera Concept from 2016 was very tasteful in the blue/white with blue lighting accent.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had to finally get cars that we could sit up in, not so much for us, but for my parents. As much as I like my Equinox, I think I would have been fine with a Malibu RS or Fusion Sport. (Would have been cheaper too.. 🙂 )

I can’t remember if the Terrain had a brown interior or not, but that could be a good choice...

It’s interesting about the Encore though. How many miles on it? I wanna say it was an earlier version of the 1.4. My wife would like to keep her Trax after the lease is up (plus the buyout is very good) but I wonder about  how well the 1.4 will hold up long term.

Having to junkyard shop a few things for my Cobalt, I’ve noticed a growing number of Cruze 1.4s there......

Well I think we made a decision. I still want him to drive it first. To avoid claims of misdirection, he decided that the SUVs that fit his criteria were more than he wanted to spend, so we went back to sedans. He loosened the restrictions on interior color and allowed for anything that wasn’t all black.

Found 2 options and I’ve driven both from different manufacturers.

The one I settled on is a 2017, has CarPlay, heated / cooled seats, adaptive cruise, huge sunroof, AWD. Only 18,000 miles

edit: oh and it’s not the CTS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well I think we made a decision. I still want him to drive it first. To avoid claims of misdirection, he decided that the SUVs that fit his criteria were more than he wanted to spend, so we went back to sedans. He loosened the restrictions on interior color and allowed for anything that wasn’t all black.

Found 2 options and I’ve driven both from different manufacturers.

The one I settled on is a 2017, has CarPlay, heated / cooled seats, adaptive cruise, huge sunroof, AWD. Only 18,000 miles

edit: oh and it’s not the CTS

A Buick?

1 hour ago, David said:

A Buick?

That was the runner up. Found a loaded 2017 Regal with adaptive cruise and the mocha brown interior with 35,000.  I just felt it was too small inside for what we want to do. If we weren’t hauling his parents, it would be fine.

54 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That was the runner up. Found a loaded 2017 Regal with adaptive cruise and the mocha brown interior with 35,000.  I just felt it was too small inside for what we want to do. If we weren’t hauling his parents, it would be fine.

2017 car with CarPlay, heated / cooled seats, adaptive cruise, huge sunroof, AWD

Being carplay was not on everything in 2017 that gives us the following list of options to guess from:

• Audi A3, A4, A4 allroad, A5
  • BMW 2, 3, 4, 5,6 & 7 series sedans
  • Buick LaCrosse and Regal
  • Cadillac CTS & CT6
  • Chevrolet Impala, Malibu
  • Chrysler 300 
  • Dodge charger
  • Ford Fusion & Taurus
  • Genesis G80
  • Honda Accord
  • Hyundai Sonata, Elantra, Ioniq
  • Kia Cadenza
  • Lincoln Continental
  • Mercedes-Benz B, CLA, CLS, E
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Volkswagen Jetta, Passat
  • Volvo S90

With AWD, this reduced the list to

• Buick Regal
  • Cadillac CT6
  • Chrysler 300 
  • Dodge charger
  • Ford Fusion
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA & E
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Volvo S90

Above features with Adaptive cruise control

• Audi A3, A4, A4 Allroad, A5
  • Buick Regal
  • Cadillac CT6
  • Ford Fusion
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA & E
  • Volvo S90

Interesting that the search engines do not have the cooled seats option listed or over all size of sunroof. Huge sunroof I think would reduce the list as follows:

• Audi A4 Allroad, A5
  • Cadillac CT6 - This is out as Drew has stated it can not handle his driveway.
  • Ford Fusion
  • Volvo S90

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Volvo S90?

9 minutes ago, David said:

2017 car with CarPlay, heated / cooled seats, adaptive cruise, huge sunroof, AWD

Being carplay was not on everything in 2017 that gives us the following list of options to guess from:

• Buick LaCrosse and Regal
  • Cadillac CTS & CT6
  • Chevrolet Impala, Malibu
  • Chrysler 300 
  • Dodge charger
  • Ford Fusion & Taurus
  • Genesis G80
  • Honda Accord
  • Hyundai Sonata, Elantra, Ioniq
  • Kia Cadenza
  • Lincoln Continental
  • Mercedes-Benz B, CLA, CLS, E
  • Nissan Maxima
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Volkswagen Jetta, Passat
  • Volvo S90

With AWD, this reduced the list to

• Buick Regal
  • Cadillac CT6
  • Chrysler 300 
  • Dodge charger
  • Ford Fusion
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA & E
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Volvo S90

• Audi A3, A4, A4 Allroad, A5
  • Buick Regal
  • Cadillac CT6
  • Ford Fusion
  • Mercedes-Benz CLA & E
  • Volvo S90

Interesting that the search engines do not have the cooled seats option listed or over all size of sunroof. Huge sunroof I think would reduce the list as follows:

• Audi A4 Allroad, A5
  • Cadillac CT6 - This is out as Drew has stated it can not handle his driveway.
  • Ford Fusion
  • Volvo S90

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Volvo S90?

Very commendable logic. However there is an error in your data.  The vehicle is in your original list but didn't make it to your final list due to faulty data.

And the S90 is not it. 

23 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Very commendable logic. However there is an error in your data.  The vehicle is in your original list but didn't make it to your final list due to faulty data.

And the S90 is not it. 

Oh, took a shot in the dark and discovered that except for the Ultimate model the AWD version has what you listed, so Genesis G80 is my new choice since it is not on multiple industry 2017 sedan reviews with AWD.

50 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, took a shot in the dark and discovered that except for the Ultimate model the AWD version has what you listed, so Genesis G80 is my new choice since it is not on multiple industry 2017 sedan reviews with AWD.

It is not the G80.

1 hour ago, David said:

Interesting that the search engines do not have the cooled seats option listed or over all size of sunroof.

Cooled seats are usually referred to by manufacturers as ventilated seats. Large sunroofs are called Panoramic Sunroof.

1 hour ago, David said:

Your list is incomplete. 

17 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Drew.  Ford Fusion is my guess.

15 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Fusion Hybrid?

No to both. Fusion Hybrid is not AWD.

Notice i said that there is faulty data in @David’s list? The car is there, but he eliminated it from one of the lists when he shouldn’t have. 

That also implies that none of the cars in his final list are it.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No to both. Fusion Hybrid is not AWD.

Notice i said that there is faulty data in @David’s list? The car is there, but he eliminated it from one of the lists when he shouldn’t have. 

That also implies that none of the cars in his final list are it.

Then I go back to the Charger or CT6 then... 🙂 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, David said:

Remember the crushed Velet 1976 Buick interiors?

LOL this is not a "crushed VELET" 1976 Buick, it's a Mopar product, spottable from a mile away.

image.thumb.png.cee68ea2733b78d3c0e2095cdb7cf2a8.png

I'm guessing Albert's new ride = CHRYSLER 300

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

As we discussed recently...GREATTTTT choice. Love it.

AWD and the 3.6L/8-speed in these is a pleasure, and feels even balsier, with the changes in gearing. All all the extra options and a great color combo, and check, check, check.

Awesome. Even I approve😅

• Agree 4

@Drew Dowdell You got the 300C you've been wanting! Shhh...nobody tell Albert :D

I like the two tone interior when the lighter colors aren't overdone and the dash isn't a light color. A light colored dash reflects up on the windshield when it's sunny creating a distraction, and once you notice it it will drive you crazy, so a black or dark colored dash is the way to go. Congrats!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...