Do you like where you live...

Is suburban Denver that much cheaper than PDX?  The only issue I have is that it's too far from water.

It's cheaper, not a lot though. I love living in the Denver area, I agree about the water though... but the ocean is only a 2hr flight away. The lack of greenery and variety of fall colors gets old after a while, but the dry climate,abundant sunshine and the mountains close by are great. I've been living for the last 4 years in downtown Denver, but I'm thinking of selling my loft and moving to the suburbs so I can have more space... looking at houses in the $350-450k range (about 3000 sq ft, 3 car garage, full basement).

My ideal would be So Cal, but the real estate costs are a big turn off, as is the traffic, and the SF Bay Area would be better as far as jobs in my industry go...

Edited by moltar

I've lived here all of my life, but lately I'm thinking of throwing in the towel. What I have always loved about this area is being ruined by the constant development and increasing population. Sprawl is trashing this place and driving Real Estate to unnatural levels. My parents built their house in 1969 for about $31k and it is now worth about 1 million. I have been effectively priced out of my home town. Additionally, there are so many people here now that someone is always in your face and traffic is pure hell. If the population suddenly dropped by 75% I would not want to be anywhere else. But, as it is, I am considering leaving.

Guest YellowJacket894

Do I like where I live? In one word: no.

Charleston SC is my favorite city south of the Mason-Dixon line. Beautiful city, nice people, not a lot of traffic, lots of stuff to do and places to see.

I agree with this statement. Charleston does kick some serious ass. As a matter of fact, in a few short years, I'll be headed for there or Oregon.

The only thing that I like about Kentucky would be the gobs and gobs of folklore (reading the stuff is amusing, even if the author does butcher the language a bit -- but that's done to preserve the story, I guess) and supposedly haunted spots on the landscape. Other than that, I really deny having much to do with this state. There's really not much here to do but push a time clock at a factory.

I do, however, have the opportunity to write...some words of "encouragement" in red spray paint on the side of the Camry plant in Georgetown...

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'm from Dallas originally.

Last time I was there (a year ago or so) I was SHOCKED how dead Dallas was from a nightlife and things-to-do standpoint. 

I moved away when I was 18.....and back then (18 years ago) it seemed like it was way more happening.

Deep Ellum has turned into a trashy area when it used to be eclectic and trendy.  The West End was DEAD.  There were still some good restaurants and a decent happy-hour crowd in Lower Greeville Avenue....but that was about it. 

Downtown Fort Worth seemed to have ten times the nightlife and culture now....

Kinda sad for me actually......being from there and all......

Yeah, Dallas has had alot of gang violence in the club areas lately becuase all the clubs toss the patrons out for bar closing around the same time, so you get hundreds of drunks mixing...not good.

It's funny actually, becuase there is still people that've never been to Fort Worth and think all we are is some small hick city w/ nothing but Billy Bobs Texas and the historic Stockyards <_< .....even in Dallas

EDIT: And don't forget that Arlington is part of Dallas and the Texas Motor Speedway is in Dallas...............god people are retarded.

Edited by deftonesfan867

I'm from Dallas originally.

Last time I was there (a year ago or so) I was SHOCKED how dead Dallas was from a nightlife and things-to-do standpoint. 

I moved away when I was 18.....and back then (18 years ago) it seemed like it was way more happening.

Deep Ellum has turned into a trashy area when it used to be eclectic and trendy.  The West End was DEAD.  There were still some good restaurants and a decent happy-hour crowd in Lower Greeville Avenue....but that was about it. 

Downtown Fort Worth seemed to have ten times the nightlife and culture now....

Kinda sad for me actually......being from there and all......

Did you check out OakLawn/CedarSprings? Thankfully, that community seems to have weathered every transformation that Dallas has made over the past several years. If you haven’t stayed at The Melrose Hotel on Oaklawn, it’s a “must do” and is very convenient to the local nightlife on CedarSprings & Downtown.

West End is evolving to compliment the upcoming Victory Park neighborhood. If you go to the web page and look at the location map & master plan, you'll see that Victory Park is 75 acres of mixed-use development directly north of West End. The "West End Marketplace" retail building has finally closed. The Dallas Morning News had an article about it on 6.6.06. With The revitalized Arts District to the east & Victory Park to the north, I believe West End will recover once all the surrounding construction is completed. Uptown, in general, will become a major destination for Dallas.

Deep Ellum has been seedy for as long as I can remember. It won't truly become what it aspires to be until Fair Park is completely renovated (including the Cotton Bowl)... but Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, & Fair Park all have a collective fate. The entire area's current condition is mostly to blame on the City of Dallas. The city owns and continues to buy up property on both sides of Haskell Ave in preparation to expand it and create a major artery from Downtown/Uptown to Eastern Dallas & Mesquite. Driving down Haskell during the day makes you want to lock the doors, but nothing to fear because Dallas owns most of the dilapidated buildings. The DART Light Rail will assist with the area's rejuvenation once service starts in 2010 along Robert B. Collum Dr/ Scyene Rd. This 2 page article discusses the Southeast Corridor project and how it is to impact some of the Fair Park area. I haven't been able to stay abreast of the entire area's different projects. Several facets of the area's development seem to have dropped off the radar until Dallas comes up with a complete vision like the other mentioned neighborhoods.

A map of Dart Transit & Rail system is located here...

Dart Homepage is http://www.ridedart.org or just http://www.dart.org

I completely spaced on the Trinity River Corridor Project. It's massive and mind boggling. It's going to create the largest Urban Park in America, dwarfing New York City's Central Park, while expanding the Tollway and allow direct access to Dallas' Great Trinity Forest just south of Downtown. I received a Master Report on it in 2004 and it was absolutely amazing. Although I doubt everything will materialize (see the aforementioned comment about Dallas' City Council), I have faith most will come to pass. The Trinity Bridges alone will change the Dallas skyline for all time.

See, I'm not all about Buick. I have other interests. I want to eventually transition from a career in technology to some role of City Development or Planning. It will take years, but it's far more interesting. :)

Did you check out OakLawn/CedarSprings? Thankfully, that community seems to have weathered every transformation that Dallas has made over the past several years. If you haven’t stayed at The Melrose Hotel on Oaklawn, it’s a “must do” and is very convenient to the local nightlife on CedarSprings & Downtown. 

West End is evolving to compliment the upcoming Victory Park neighborhood. If you go to the web page and look at the location map & master plan, you'll see that Victory Park is 75 acres of mixed-use development directly north of West End. The "West End Marketplace" retail building has finally closed. The Dallas Morning News had an article about it on 6.6.06.  With The revitalized Arts District to the east & Victory Park to the north, I believe West End will recover once all the surrounding construction is completed. Uptown, in general, will become a major destination for Dallas. 

Deep Ellum has been seedy for as long as I can remember. It won't truly become what it aspires to be until Fair Park is completely renovated (including the Cotton Bowl)... but Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, & Fair Park all have a collective fate. The entire area's current condition is mostly to blame on the City of Dallas. The city owns and continues to buy up property on both sides of Haskell Ave in preparation to expand it and create a major artery from Downtown/Uptown to Eastern Dallas & Mesquite. Driving down Haskell during the day makes you want to lock the doors, but nothing to fear because Dallas owns most of the dilapidated buildings. The DART Light Rail will assist with the area's rejuvenation once service starts in 2010 along Robert B. Collum Dr/ Scyene Rd. This 2 page article discusses the Southeast Corridor project and how it is to impact some of the Fair Park area. I haven't been able to stay abreast of the entire area's different projects. Several facets of the area's development seem to have dropped off the radar until Dallas comes up with a complete vision like the other mentioned neighborhoods.

A map of Dart Transit & Rail system is located here...

Dart Homepage is http://www.ridedart.org or just http://www.dart.org

I completely spaced on the Trinity River Corridor Project. It's massive and mind boggling. It's going to create the largest Urban Park in America, dwarfing New York City's Central Park, while expanding the Tollway and allow direct access to Dallas' Great Trinity Forest just south of Downtown. I received a Master Report on it in 2004 and it was absolutely amazing. Although I doubt everything will materialize (see the aforementioned comment about Dallas' City Council), I have faith most will come to pass. The Trinity Bridges alone will change the Dallas skyline for all time.

See, I'm not all about Buick. I have other interests. I want to eventually transition from a career in technology to some role of City Development or Planning. It will take years, but it's far more interesting. :)

:blink:

Anything you wanna ever know about city planning in Dallas........

:pokeowned:

Thanks for the update!

I like where I live. Its old postwar suburbia, so nothing's that far away and for as odd and cheesy as some of the houses may look, they're unique at the very least.

I'll tell you one thing. Growing up and living by the water makes you never want to live inland. I can't imagine not being within 10 minutes of a large body of water.

Even if that large body of water produces several storms per year that can cause thousands of dollars in property damage, not to mention the possibility of bodily harm? I'd love to live somewhere like Savannah, GA, beautiful, historic, its just a wonderful place but I'm not sure that I would be able to handle the yearly evacuations.

And I really dont like where I live, nothing to do, surrounded by Abercrombie wearing spoiled white kids, it gets old.

Even if that large body of water produces several storms per year that can cause thousands of dollars in property damage, not to mention the possibility of bodily harm?

In reality, though, Tampa Bay is pretty well-protected from hurricanes by virtue of nature itself. Currents usually take the storms towards the Panhandle or further up into Alabama, etc. If a storm crosses the state as a few did several years ago, it typically weakens significantly before its over us.

For a hurricane to cause us catestrophic damage, it would have to stike with its northeastern quadrant entering Tampa Bay at high tide, causing the Gulf to flood the Bay with storm surge and flood out the lower-lying areas along the Pinellas and Hillsborough coasts. This hasn't happened in nearly eighty years (thankfully).

We typically get what we're getting right now - crappy skies, some wind, and lots of rain. However, when our day comes, it will be bad, even if the storm is not. hundreds of high-rise condominums line our Gulf shores with no more than a dozen two-lane bridges connecting the barrier islands to the mainland. And the mainland (Pinellas County) is a peninsula itself with five main roads out, four of which are bridges - one a causeway that floods and the other a tall suspension bridge that closes when winds hit 40mph. The land road is constantly clogged on a good day. PIE is an airport that is a mean six feet above sea level, SPG is very small and also only 9 feet above the water, while CLW is 75 ft above sea, but has one runway 3300 feet long. We are indeed screwed.

I, however, live 70 feet above sea level. I guess this house will be worth more as an island...