The next generation 'Bu really needs to knock the Camry on its ass. I feel Chevy should try to prove something here. Unfortunately, doing so it would probably step on the Aura's feet, and currently the LaCrosse (which the Aura already steps on its feet in terms of premium features)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if GM offered some of the up-market features found on the Camry.

Well, herein lies the problem... those who want higher quality features that won't be found on a Malibu, will have to go to an Aura or LaCrosse. However, there are features available on the Camry V6 XLE you can't find on neither the Aura nor the LaCrosse. :(

Like a transmission that deletes shifts or self steering?

I think I can hear GM employees saying this when they design cars. That has to be one of the reasons why GM cars lack the features that their competitors have.

Like a transmission that deletes shifts or self steering?

Even with the camo, already this car has toasted the well recognized as hideous beyond measure Camry.

But then again... people don't buy the Camry for it's looks. They buy it because of the quality. Thankfully, GM is starting to get it's quality in order and now need bold designs to get people to see that they don't build crappy cars anymore.

I think I can hear GM employees saying this when they design cars.  That has to be one of the reasons why GM cars lack the features that their competitors have.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to say the consumer pays when an auto company tries to build a car it is not capable of producing? My goodness, that would explain hundreds if not thousands of defective transmissions or nearly a million cars with substandard steering shafts or even millions of customers getting stuck with sludge prone engines. These days it's not building and selling just a car, it's selling an image. Or in some cases, plain flat out lying about your product.

Let's cut the crap, Toyota built a rep selling basic cars, now that they are trying to go up, they are running into problems. What goes around, comes around.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to say the consumer pays when an auto company tries to build a car it is not capable of producing? My goodness, that would explain hundreds if not thousands of defective transmissions or nearly a million cars with substandard steering shafts or even millions of customers getting stuck with sludge prone engines. These days it's not building and selling just a car, it's selling an image. Or in some cases, plain flat out lying about your product.

Let's cut the crap, Toyota built a rep selling basic cars, now that they are trying to go up, they are running into problems. What goes around, comes around.

You are full of it.

You are full of it.

Sounds like the New York Times has some fans here.

The people here speculating about the inner workings of any engineering department or design team know less about what is going on than anybody else.

If some people want to be shills, be obvious about it. In my opinion tryting to hide your shilling behind double inflections and twists of words is baloney.

In other words, you come here to trash GM, go for it, you here to trash Toyota, why bother to hide it.

That's no BS.

Edited by Angry Dad

The people here speculating about the inner workings of any engineering  department or design team know less about what is going on than anybody else.

If some people want to be shills, be obvious about it. In my opinion tryting to hide your shilling behind double inflections and twists of words is baloney.

In other words, you come here to trash GM, go for it, you here to trash Toyota, why bother to hide it.

That's no BS.

Do you enjoy your Kool Aid?

The people here speculating about the inner workings of any engineering  department or design team know less about what is going on than anybody else.

That's no BS.

Your biased one sided argument shows your ignorance.

Evok, if you want to be respected for your "insider" position, you should refrain from jumping into this tit-for-tat, personal attack merry-go-round that degenerates certain threads here. How can you expect to be viewed as having the real deal when you allow some questioning members to pull you out of your catbird seat and onto the ground for a mud wrestling contest?

Sure, some people aren't going to agree with what you have to say, but a professional person like yourself needs to keep his composure under pressure.

This is the new Malibu that had designers all excited. Quite sad indeed! It looks like they took a Saturn Aura, gave it the Camry bland side treatment and stuck a silly looking new Chevy type front on it. Totally dull, unoriginal and bland. Looks way too much like an Asian car to even interest me in the least. Looks like Chevy STILL hasn't learned that copying a Camry isn't going to win over sales.

Evok, if you want to be respected for your "insider" position, you should refrain from jumping into this tit-for-tat, personal attack merry-go-round that degenerates certain threads here.  How can you expect to be viewed as having the real deal when you allow some questioning members to pull you out of your catbird seat and onto the ground for a mud wrestling contest?

Sure, some people aren't going to agree with what you have to say, but a professional person like yourself needs to keep his composure under pressure.

Get over yourself. If certain people want to throw around a biased arguement, I can show them where they are mistaken. Discussion degenerate when people are blind to the truth. The person I responded to had an ignorant opinion. I can just as easily show all GM problems of late.

Edited by evok

Get of yourself.  If certain people want to throw around a biased arguement, I can show them where they are mistaken.  Discussion degenerate when people are blind to the truth.  The person I responded to had an ignorant opinion.  I can just as easily show all GM problems of late.

:pokeowned:

This is the new Malibu that had designers all excited. Quite sad indeed! It looks like they took a Saturn Aura, gave it the Camry bland side treatment and stuck a silly looking new Chevy type front on it. Totally dull, unoriginal and bland. Looks way too much like an Asian car to even interest me in the least. Looks like Chevy STILL hasn't learned that copying a Camry isn't going to win over sales.

I don't know if you're answering my post back there (EDIT: on page 6), but from what I see in those pictures I don't get why this car has everyone so mesmerized.

Edited by ZL-1

I don't know if you're answering my post back there (EDIT: on page 6), but from what I see in those pictures I don't get why this car has everyone so mesmerized.

Agreed. Looks like the Aura got Chevy's grill from the 'bu SEMA concepts...

...I'll wait on better spy photos, but this has 'typical GM' overpromise, underdeliver written all over it.

--BTW-Those Silverado pics make me think that someone at GM still isn't listening...it looks 4 years old already, and its not out yet! Ford must be breathing a sigh of relief....

...I'll wait on better spy photos, but this has 'typical GM' overpromise, underdeliver written all over it.

--BTW-Those Silverado pics make me think that someone at GM still isn't listening...it looks 4 years old already, and its not out yet! Ford must be breathing a sigh of relief....

:lol: hahahahahahaha thats great!!! :P Prolly because its true. Chevy should have stuck with darkened headlights for the trucks, and clean, clear ones for the GMC versions.... :angry: Those side Bulges, are huge, and remind me of the fugly dakota. <_<

The Aura greenhouse with a new front and rear... Why make the Aura then?

Saw the Silverado pic, but no comments on that one: pickup trucks are not my thing.

The Aura greenhouse with a new front and rear... Why make the Aura then?

Because some will prefer dealing with Saturn dealers.

I don't have a problem if the Malibu is just an Aura with a Chevrolet grill and tail. Prior to the 1988 W bodies, most GM cars did share styling among divisions, with different interiors, grills, rear ends, and engines. Since 1988, GM has worked hard to differentiate the styling of its cars among divisions, but sales decreased, not increase. So why spend the money giving cars substantially different styling?

Because some will prefer dealing with Saturn dealers.

I don't have a problem if the Malibu is just an Aura with a Chevrolet grill and tail.  Prior to the 1988 W bodies, most GM cars did share styling among divisions, with different interiors, grills, rear ends, and engines.  Since 1988, GM has worked hard to differentiate the styling of its cars among divisions, but sales decreased, not increase.  So why spend the money giving cars substantially different styling?

OK, but some will prefer to deal with Buick dealers and other with Pontiac dealers, and so on... Other manufacturers can spend their R&D money in one or two variants, and GM has to spread their money in 4 or 5 different models for the same segment. I mean, how many subsegments are there in the mid-size segment?

I mean, how many subsegments are there in the mid-size segment?

Not more than two, in my opinion, but Evok wrote an excellent post a few days ago on why GM probably won't drop any more divisions any time soon.

OK I was drunk I guess and belived the lie that this was an IMPALA, THIOUGHT IT LOOKED MORE LIKE A MALIBU THO...

BUT i CHOPPED EM ANYWAY

Posted Image

Posted Image

...FOR WHAT IS WORTH & whatever it IS ...I LIKE IT.

PIXs are a bit clearer in the chops tho huh ?...whatever.

I think I'm Glad it's NOT an IMPALA...

...or IS IT ????.....sure as Hell COULD BE ...IMO !!!!

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

• 2 weeks later...

Not EpsII yet...give them a couple years on that. 2 years before production is actually quite early for prototypes to be spotted. Sometimes you will see euro stuff that early though.

I see.

I just suggested the idea because Motor Trend (don't get us started on most of it) had a small article in their "news" section or what not, and it regarded the BLS as on the current Epsioln structure, then some information on Epsilon II and when variants would begin to be introduced. They also mentioned that the mules (or at least simulations) are already way over the targeted weight due to size increases, and the increase in safety technology and other gear.

Perhaps this mule IS a conglomeration of various GM products (new Malibu, Opel, et cetera) and then any discussion of advanced style or what not could be rendered moot. Some mules have very odd body bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Arriving home yesterday I saw this Toyota Avensis parked next to my building, and I figured out what the new Malibu's front end pic reminded me of: click here

EDIT: the placement of headlights, the one piece bumper/grille, that's where they look similar to me...

Edited by ZL-1

Someone did, and people who actually know what they're talking about proved him wrong.

164907[/snapback]

How can it be? I thought people were in awe from this vehicle? This is disappointing... I thought GM was on a turn around. They can't do that with boring vehicles. If this does turn out to be a malibu it'll be uglier and more bland than the current one.. I hope that this is some sick joke or a malibu in another body to disguise the real look....

Edited by -Camaro-

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry.. they were probably dead a long time before GM skinned them to put on their prototypes. Although, now that I think about it, they were most likely skinned alive because everyone knows that Zebras lose their stripes after they are murdered...... wait.....maybe that goes for tigers... doesn't matter. All you need to know is that they died a horrible, horrible death.

You really can't tell what the logo is if, that's what it is. I doubt GM would put badges on their vehicles(especially new ones) when testing Although, who knows. Can you confirm or deny that Mr. Doane?

Don't worry.. they were probably dead a long time before GM skinned them to put on their prototypes.  Although, now that I think about it, they were most likely skinned alive because everyone knows that Zebras lose their stripes after they are murdered...... wait.....maybe that goes for tigers... doesn't matter.  All you need to know is that they died a horrible, horrible death.

170850[/snapback]

It's not as if the death was in vain. The skins are being used to cover up what could be an awesome car.

And I'm sure GM brought a hibachi to the test track as well.

• 1 month later...

This thread has gone on forever it seems and it would appear the most obvious and logical answer all along is that this is merely an Aura rebadge for Chevy. I know a few have said it...I don't understand why some still can't get over themselves and see the same.

Epsilon platform, LWB is why it appears so big. Same greenhouse as Aura, similar shaped headlights, and shoulder line.

I would put money on this being a new Malibu showing in Chicago in February. And it will look just like an Aura with a Chevy grill and round taillights.

This thread has gone on forever it seems and it would appear the most obvious and logical answer all along is that this is merely an Aura rebadge for Chevy.  I know a few have said it...I don't understand why some still can't get over themselves and see the same. 

Epsilon platform, LWB is why it appears so big.  Same greenhouse as Aura, similar shaped headlights, and shoulder line. 

I would put money on this being a new Malibu showing in Chicago in February.  And it will look just like an Aura with a Chevy grill and round taillights.

185060[/snapback]

I doubt it..I think this is the new Malibu, but the big photo in Sable Style's post clearly shows a totally different greenhouse than the Aura (look at the rear door outline) and different side metal than the Aura...same platform, different bodies...

Edited by moltar

I doubt it..I think this is the new Malibu, but the big photo in Sable Style's post clearly shows a totally different greenhouse than the Aura (look at the rear door outline) and different side metal than the Aura...same platform, different bodies...

185071[/snapback]

By greenhouse one usually is referring to the glass and not a door outline. They may not be exact sheetmetal siblings, but these are very similar cars. The gas tank filler door is positioned the same, only the new spy car has larger fender flares encompassing a bit of the filler door. Both have similar body lines near the bottom of the door sills and even the zebra tape at the rear qtr window ends just at the front edge of the rear door handle, suggesting they are similar sized greenhouses. I'm sure your correct in saying they are different bodies...I just don't think they are going to be different enough for GM to get over the rebadge stigma.

By greenhouse one usually is referring to the glass and not a door outline.  They may not be exact sheetmetal siblings, but these are very similar cars.  The gas tank filler door is positioned the same, only the new spy car has larger fender flares encompassing a bit of the filler door.  Both have similar body lines near the bottom of the door sills and even the zebra tape at the rear qtr window ends just at the front edge of the rear door handle, suggesting they are similar sized greenhouses.  I'm sure your correct in saying they are different bodies...I just don't think they are going to be different enough for GM to get over the rebadge stigma.

185384[/snapback]

I was talking about the upper doorline, which is part of the greenhouse (I think of 'greenhouse' as the pillars, roof, glass, door uppers, etc above the beltline). I suspect they will have different C-pillar shapes and rear door glass shapes, but be similar otherwise. the front end and rear end shapes look considerably different. I don't know if it will be as different as the Aura is from the G6, but certainly I would think they would spend the $$$ to make them distinct... then again, in the old days, GM usually always had the same greenhouses but different lower bodies on CPOB sedans on the same platform, with the Ws being an exception).

Edited by moltar