Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not much going on so far in the new year...was out in the backyard after sunset and spotted what appeared to be a CUV w/  full width (multi-segment) headlights drive by... bright white HID...appeared to be something midsize and aerodynamic, didn't look like aftermarket lighting (not an off-road light bar).   it was too dark and far away to see exactly what it was...reminded me of the old Mercury Villager minivan but something modern...any idea what I saw?   Was not a a Rivian..;)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier this week our local County Fire Fighters News Letter arrived and on the cover was a picture of all the various Fire Command Personnel and their new Toyota Rav4 Hybrid AWD CUVs. The county stated that they had been looking for replacement auto's that would meet the go anywhere in any weather SUV/CUV to replace the aging Tahoe fleet. GM lost out big time on this 59 vehicle order and today in running out for the weekly Grocery run, I saw one of the new Fire Command Rav4 hybrids at an intersection.

Sharp looking CUV, bummer Toyota won the sales over GM. GM has always responded to slowly to what the needs have been.

Been stated in this forum before by others, the Chevrolet VOLT system should have been moved with Gen 2 into a CUV as well at the time and I am now positive due to the crazy Sales and waiting List for Rav4 Hybrids that GM could have sold everyone they built.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Municipalities should not be spending taxpayer money on foreign products.

- - - - -
Read a story online somewhere that a police detective department just took delivery of a Model Y outfitted with (inside the passenger department) light package... and there was a considerable degree of backlash. Department said it was trying to 'go green' and the Model Y was expected to save $8500 in fuel costs over 5 years (the in-service life limit?) and also cited unspecified lower maintenance (but we've seen that one police case study showing the opposite there) ... but the Model Y cost $27,000 MORE than a police Charger. With near unilateral budget shortfalls everywhere, perhaps now's not the time to blow an extraneous $18 grand on one vehicle over other choices.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the post office today.  

In the parking lot exit, a burgundy late(r) model Mercury Grand Marquis was in front of me.  It was spotless and there was a beige baseball cap on its rear shelf.  It was a tall senior gentleman who had also been inside the post office.  Ahead of him was an older BMW where the driver was being overly cautious to go out into the traffic of a major 4-lane road.  The Grand Marquis driver began to honk in repetition.

The Grand Marquis driver finally got into traffic and chose the right lane.  As someone slowed down to turn into a gas station about a block further down, he started repeatedly honking at that person, too.  This guy was slightly dysregulated.  I pondered the beige baseball cap on his rear shelf.

Oh, yeah ...  I forgot where I was going.

Nice 4.6 liter SOHC V8!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ykX said:

Saw brand new Escalade in grey.  I have to say I really think it doesn't look proportioned right in the front.  Not a fan.

Totally agree with you that the 2021 Escalade front end is a FAILURE!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I am driving along, minding my own business, and I see this.  Is this for real?  Unique.  I've never seen anything like this before!

KIMG6295.thumb.JPG.4326d5f6816fee026576f0a11f792d30.JPG

Yup that is for sure the Rolls-Royce Cullinan. One of the Ugliest SUVs to have ever been made and way over rated for the money.

Rolls-Royce Cullinan - Wikipedia

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ykX said:

Saw brand new Escalade in grey.  I have to say I really think it doesn't look proportioned right in the front.  Not a fan.

I had to look up what it looks like because I have an "if you have to ask the price ..." situation with Escalades.

Well, it gives the expression "long in the tooth" a new meaning.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am driving along, minding my own business, and I see this.  Is this for real?  Unique.  I've never seen anything like this before!

KIMG6295.thumb.JPG.4326d5f6816fee026576f0a11f792d30.JPG

 

Sure you have seen something like that.  Especially with your Italian heritage.  

Come on now, dig deep into your mind. Its there. You WILL see it.

Here...Ill help you out a little bit.  Give you a couple of clues.

a) Rallye.

b) It has a Greek name of the 4rth letter in the Greek alphabet. 

 

 

TA DA!

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 

Guide: Lancia Delta HF Integrale — Supercar Nostalgia

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

 

Sure you have seen something like that.  Especially with your Italian heritage.  

Come on now, dig deep into your mind. Its there. You WILL see it.

Here...Ill help you out a little bit.  Give you a couple of clues.

a) Rallye.

b) It has a Greek name of the 4rth letter in the Greek alphabet. 

 

 

TA DA!

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 

Guide: Lancia Delta HF Integrale — Supercar Nostalgia

WOW, Never seen this ugly POS till you posted it. Thank you for showing where RR got their hideous inspiration. WOW, Cannot believe some actually think this looks good. Guess money has no way of dictating taste. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David said:

WOW, Never seen this ugly POS till you posted it. Thank you for showing where RR got their hideous inspiration. WOW, Cannot believe some actually think this looks good. Guess money has no way of dictating taste. 

I guess you never paid attention to rallying in the 80s...these made phenomenal race cars, and the street version was quite formidable.   Then again, you are a truck guy and not into performance cars.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I guess you never paid attention to rallying in the 80s...these made phenomenal race cars, and the street version was quite formidable.   Then again, you are a truck guy and not into performance cars.

This was one of the greatest rally cars ever ...

LanciaDeltaHFintegraleEvo1992Kankkunen_2.jpg

f403ccba4c73da2ba8c5bd38581c6b69.jpg

Edited by ykX
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ykX said:

This was one of the greatest rally cars ever ...

LanciaDeltaHFintegraleEvo1992Kankkunen_2.jpg

f403ccba4c73da2ba8c5bd38581c6b69.jpg

Still a Blah of an auto, Subaru is just blah to me but killer looks when compared to this.

23 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I guess you never paid attention to rallying in the 80s...these made phenomenal race cars, and the street version was quite formidable.   Then again, you are a truck guy and not into performance cars.

Yes a truck guy, but did build at my dads shop Camaro and Mustang racers for others that were always a blast to drive in the final test check before returning to the owners. Road rally is a cool sport, but this just has no passion to me. Guess growing up in Darrington WA in the woods around loggers and trucks, that does make a bigger impression on youth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, oldshurst442 said:

It has a Greek name of the 4rth letter in the Greek alphabet. 

TA DA!

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 

Guide: Lancia Delta HF Integrale — Supercar Nostalgia

Help me out.

Alpha ... beta ... (?) ... delta.  I don't want to cheat and look it up: what is the (?)?  I'll probably recognize it.

I'm not sure if omega is the last letter, as in alpha-omega.  It's probably zeta.

Well, have I got a "looker" for all of you ...

1975+Oldsmobile+Omega+2+Door+Coupe1.JPG

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Help me out.

Alpha ... beta ... (?) ... delta.  I don't want to cheat and look it up: what is the (?)?  I'll probably recognize it.

I'm not sure if omega is the last letter, as in alpha-omega.  It's probably zeta.

Well, have I got a "looker" for all of you ...

1975+Oldsmobile+Omega+2+Door+Coupe1.JPG

 

Here is another GM Omega--the Opel Lotus Omega (badged as Vauxhall Lotus Carlton in the UK).   A later generation of Opel Omega came to the US as the Cadillac Catera...

 

Omega_1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

A later generation of Opel Omega came to the US as the Cadillac Catera...

Omega_1.jpg

The Cadillac Catera was a mess, along with its "the Caddy that zigs" ad campaign. 

Its saving grace might have been that the Cadillac Cimarron was worse! 

I only knew one person who went out and bought a Cimarron and their head wasn't right on all levels.  It's beyond the scope of C&G, though definitely soap opera material.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...