Alpha, Beta, GAMMA, Delta    

You were missing the 3rd letter...

And Omega would be the last letter in the Greek Alphabet.   Zeta would be the 6th letter... 

Speaking of the Omega and the Zeta.  The Zeta platform would be the platform that succeeded the Omega car and  We know know the Zeta platform  as the Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS. 

I know its all Greek to you folk, but I...am damned proud that Greek is being discussed one way or other. 🤙

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

The Cadillac Catera was a mess, along with its "the Caddy that zigs" ad campaign. 

Its saving grace might have been that the Cadillac Cimarron was worse! 

I only knew one person who went out and bought a Cimarron and their head wasn't right on all levels.  It's beyond the scope of C&G, though definitely soap opera material.

The Catera could have worked if GM allowed more funds to develop it for Cadillac. As is, it was at Chevrolet or Pontiac levels. 

In the Middle East, it WAS a Chevrolet.  A Lumina.  It had the 3.8 liter V6 from Buick. It had the supercharged version too under the hood and as a Lumina SS, it had the LS1 under the hood. 

In the US, it had the lame Opel 3.0 V6. No torque.  Horsepower was a tad anemic for a Caddy that wanted to zig and zag. 

The sedan was made into a coupe...and we got it as a Pontiac.  And THAT too failed.  Because Pontiac labeled it as a GTO.  It was a great Pontiac. But at that point in time, retro was ALL the rage. And the Catera couped GTO looked NOTHING like a PONTIAC GTO... 

Ah....yes!!!   Those wonderful General Motors times at the end of the last century.  What fantastic times they were.    

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Alpha, Beta, GAMMA, Delta    

You were missing the 3rd letter...

And Omega would be the last letter in the Greek Alphabet.   Zeta would be the 6th letter... 

I definitely know "Gamma."  I sort of expected the third letter to start with a "C" sound, though, so I thought Gamma might be somewhere else in the Greek alphabet.

And Omega being last makes sense, in line with the religious concept of "Alpha-Omega."

As for this photo, what's the likelihood that 1) two scuba divers will illegally drive their Olds Omega onto a California beach, and 2) that demographic would even set foot into a showroom to buy an Olds Omega?

75omega.jpg

Also, I know we have some members here who just love multilingual discourse ...

• Haha 3

Re: Gamma...Lancia had a Gamma, and even a Megagamma.   Lancia liked the Greek letter names--they also had a Beta and Delta...no Alpha (probably to avoid confusion w/ Alfa Romeo). 

280px-Megagamma1_big.jpg

lancia-gamma-1982-lancia-gamma-coupe-auto_7560275198.jpg

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

‘78-era Elky, navy blue, very solid/unrestored original, likely relatively low-miles.

Since we were mentioning it elsewhere, another XT6

4468B432-9905-4165-A626-0EB3B2E2DE40.jpeg

XT6 is such unimpressive blah CUV. :( 

I saw a black Olds Bravada SUV today as I was leaving the car wash.  

Wiki told me it's a 1998-2001 type, based on the grille.  Great engine, that 4.3 Vortec V6.

I see Aleros weekly.  I haven't seen a Bravada in months.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:22 PM, trinacriabob said:

I am driving along, minding my own business, and I see this.  Is this for real?  Unique.  I've never seen anything like this before!

KIMG6295.thumb.JPG.4326d5f6816fee026576f0a11f792d30.JPG

The new Escalade's got the Cullinan's eyes:  high, deep-set, starkly rendered rectangles peering down on the peasantry... none of which has any Grey Poupon.

On the way out to my sisters to TV installation on Saturday January 30th, I had to stop and snap this pic of these trucks in the front yard of a house.

20210130_075316.jpg

• Upvote 1