Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: Chevrolet Ponders An Expansion of the Corvette

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's 'Bel Air', by the way.

Unless one lives in the south and goes to a private all girls school. Then belle air is completely appropriate.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I have to give props to RR. It's entire history it was a heavily dated, noncompetitive throwback... but the current re-imaging has really stuck it on the top shelf. Bentley has very appropriate interiors, but absolutely lousy exterior design.

Both are head & shoulders over the badge-job maybach.

No kidding. And outside of a very basic car like a VW GTI that the European car makers will have a difficult time effing up...I have zero desire to own ANY European car.

Few Euro bikes I like...Ducati Desert Sled for one.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Corvette SUV is a horrible idea, they shouldn't do it. However I think GM will do it.   The "Corvette" name still means something because it hasn't been watered down or trashed.  If GM wants to

A gm move.  A spiral downward.  That is the new reality.  It's like a childhood stolen.

Yes, a performance electric SUV would fit the Corvette family nicely!

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

An electric Corvette would be cool, if it is a C8 body and not an SUV.

I agree completely.

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

ZERO fire in its belly

Obviously you have never watched the videos of Tesla's beating Hellcats at the dragstrips.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Obviously you have never watched the videos of Tesla's beating Hellcats at the dragstrips.

Here, take my hand and walk with me SLOWLY (keep your helmet on though).  The "fire in the belly" is the internal combustion soul of the car.  Should have been easy to decipher.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
14 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Here, take my hand and walk with me SLOWLY (keep your helmet on though).  The "fire in the belly" is the internal combustion soul of the car.  Should have been easy to decipher.

To me cars can have soul internal combustion or electric...just like locomotive can have soul diesel or steam...

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

What is embarrassing is no one else makes an EV as good as Tesla.   The Taycan is fast, but doesn't have the range of a Model S and it costs more.  Taycan interior looks nicer, but the Model S is old.  And after seeing the EQA, I am thinking Mercedes is putting not enough motor and too much price into their EV's.

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 2
20 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Says the fan of Korean four bangers but hey, don’t let that little bit of hypocrisy get in the way here.

???

2021-chevrolet-trax-mmp-1-1601398746.png

2019_buick_encore_4dr-suv_essence_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Because you’re so cerebral right? Not because you’re still on a thread about an EV, where you always offer such an objective comment in regards to them lol. 

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

???

So over the last few months, that wasn’t you touting Hyundais, Kias, and little three banger cars like the Escape while mocking the performance of much faster EVs? My mistake. Must have been some other pitiful hypocrite. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Because you’re so cerebral right? Not because you’re still on a thread about an EV, where you always offer such an objective comment in regards to them lol. 

So over the last few months, that wasn’t you touting Hyundais, Kias, and little three banger cars like the Escape while mocking the performance of much faster EVs? My mistake. Must have been some other pitiful hypocrite. 

Let's not forget he has his mom in a Kia on top of those two auto's he posted are not built in America last time I checked by Korea.

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

What is embarrassing is no one else makes an EV as good as Tesla.   The Taycan is fast, but doesn't have the range of a Model S and it costs more.  Taycan interior looks nicer, but the Model S is old.  And after seeing the EQA, I am thinking Mercedes is putting not enough motor and too much price into their EV's.

Porsche has their less than $80,000 Taycan with the current battery pack, so prices are coming down.

Mercedes's has the Cost of Diesel gate hitting the bottom line and as such has been cutting back everywhere both ICE and EV. Will be interesting to see how they do as right now they are more focused on China and Europe with additional delays in the US.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, balthazar said:

In the Mach-E vs. Model Y comparisons, the Ford is easily better.

Fixed that for you, Balthazar.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

???

I can easily upvote this. the Buick is genuinely nice. I ahve a korean built Chevy, its flawless and runs great. I plan to drive it to Mexico when Covid clears, maybe down further into Central America. 

While I like the Gm products here, I don't think they are ultiamtely competitive with the other Korean products, the Hyundai and Kia vehicles that seem to sell so well in the CUV/SUV segment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Fixed that for you, Balthazar.

I can easily upvote this. the Buick is genuinely nice. I ahve a korean built Chevy, its flawless and runs great. I plan to drive it to Mexico when Covid clears, maybe down further into Central America. 

The blackout Trax looks neat.   After driving my sister's Trax from Florida to Ohio last year, it was actually was pretty decent to drive for a tiny hatchback...not bad at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, balthazar said:

In the Mach-E vs. Model Y comparisons, the Ford is easily comparable.

The Model Y is faster and cheaper although I prefer the Mach-E’s interior with an actual center screen.  The Model Y has more range too.  They are comparable, but the Tesla seems like the better buy.  But I don’t think the iD4 or Bolt compare well to the Model Y and the iD4 isn’t even on sale yet.  Talk about aiming too low.

Also brand image matters a lot, Tesla brand image is Mercedes/BMW level and maybe better.  Ford/VW are a far cry from that.  I imagine all things being equal, people would pay $5k more for a Tesla than a VW or Ford.  

Edited by smk4565
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, David said:

Porsche has their less than $80,000 Taycan with the current battery pack, so prices are coming down.

Mercedes's has the Cost of Diesel gate hitting the bottom line and as such has been cutting back everywhere both ICE and EV. Will be interesting to see how they do as right now they are more focused on China and Europe with additional delays in the US.

The Taycan 4s is $103k and has 227 mile range and 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.  The $69K Model S beats both those figures, the $91k Model S Performance has a 387 mile range and 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.  Porsche should be selling the 4s at $80k, they are $23k too high.

Diesel fines have nothing to do with the pricing of the EQA and the Daimler R&D budget is pretty huge.  In fact Mercedes R&D budget is about 5 times Tesla’s.  That EQA and any other Mercedes EV should be priced competitively.  And final pricing isn’t out on the EQA so we’ll see what happens.  All I am saying is Mercedes and the rest better be competitive or else when gas cars get banned Tesla is going to own the car market.

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They are comparable, but the Tesla seems like the better buy.

Mach-E has a better ride, Apple/Android car play, more amenities and much better quality for a much cheaper price. Ford is the better buy vs. the Model Y.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Taycan 4s is $103k and has 227 mile range and 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.  The $69K Model S beats both those figures, the $91k Model S Performance has a 387 mile range and 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.  Porsche should be selling the 4s at $80k, they are $23k too high.

Diesel fines have nothing to do with the pricing of the EQA and the Daimler R&D budget is pretty huge.  In fact Mercedes R&D budget is about 5 times Tesla’s.  That EQA and any other Mercedes EV should be priced competitively.  And final pricing isn’t out on the EQA so we’ll see what happens.  All I am saying is Mercedes and the rest better be competitive or else when gas cars get banned Tesla is going to own the car market.

Porsche is doing what every company does with new tech to recover R&D costs.

Daimler is who you should be worried about as they DO NOT have that huge R&D budget you keep talking about as they have clearly cut back due to Diesel gate and I will remind you that Daimler stated in October 2020 that they were cutting car models and cutting R&D 20% a year across the board.

If they truly focus on taking Mercedes upmarket, then I doubt the prices even on their EQA is going to be price competitive for the masses. 

Daimler to cut fixed costs and take Mercedes more upmarket | Reuters

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, David said:

Porsche is doing what every company does with new tech to recover R&D costs.

Daimler is who you should be worried about as they DO NOT have that huge R&D budget you keep talking about as they have clearly cut back due to Diesel gate and I will remind you that Daimler stated in October 2020 that they were cutting car models and cutting R&D 20% a year across the board.

If they truly focus on taking Mercedes upmarket, then I doubt the prices even on their EQA is going to be price competitive for the masses. 

Daimler to cut fixed costs and take Mercedes more upmarket | Reuters

Daimler had a $10 billion R&D budget in 2019 vs Tesla’s $1.3 billion and $7.4 billion at Ford.   Their 20% cut is more aimed at fixed cost.  Daimler in December 2020 said they will invest 70 billion euros in EV’s from now until 2025.  Money isn’t a worry. 

The question is if they can build Tesla killers.  I think they can but they have to prove it.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Mach-E has a better ride, Apple/Android car play, more amenities and much better quality for a much cheaper price. Ford is the better buy vs. the Model Y.

They are priced about the same, the Model Y is $1,000 cheaper base price but I prefer the Ford interior of the 2 from what I’ve seen on video.  

But what is next for Ford also?  If the Mustang Mach-E is the top performance Ford EV, do they just go down from there?  The Model Y is the slowest Tesla.  For Ford I think electric F150 is key to get that market locked down before the Cybertruck takes it over.

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, David said:

Let's not forget he has his mom in a Kia on top of those two auto's he posted are not built in America last time I checked by Korea.

Now you sound racist.  What is wrong with the South Koreans?  And tell me again about your wife's dislike of the white dash in a Bolt... as an excuse for why she doesn't drive one.  I don't "have" my mom in anything.  She leased, all on her own grown ass self, what she wanted to lease.  Not one penny from me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
25 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Now you sound racist.  What is wrong with the South Koreans?  And tell me again about your wife's dislike of the white dash in a Bolt... as an excuse for why she doesn't drive one.  I don't "have" my mom in anything.  She leased, all on her own grown ass self, what she wanted to lease.  Not one penny from me.

So now you’re just touting them and promoting them for family members but “buy American” for you? Is that what we are getting here? Guess we will just sidestep all the other contradictions, like you, yourself, buying Mexican made cars owned by the Italians and then ranting about gutless and lifeless EVs while promoting those little four pots mentioned above but god forbid someone put an American flag sticker on their Tundra (another past complaint of yours). That’s just a step too far for the all American beta male right?

44 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They are priced about the same, the Model Y is $1,000 cheaper base price but I prefer the Ford interior of the 2 from what I’ve seen on video.  

But what is next for Ford also?  If the Mustang Mach-E is the top performance Ford EV, do they just go down from there?  The Model Y is the slowest Tesla.  For Ford I think electric F150 is key to get that market locked down before the Cybertruck takes it over.

Let me say this one more time. The Cybertruck is design garbage, utility garbage, and will be relegated to also ran status the moment any of the D3 makes goes all in on an EV pick up. 

42 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So now you’re just touting them and promoting them for family members but “buy American” for you?

Yeah, I wish the HHR still existed (she found the Korean-made Spark too small and too low), it would have been perfect for her.  Or the PT Cruiser.  Or the Caliber.  Or the Focus hatchback (although she wanted something with a higher hip point at the tender age of 76).  But alas... American manufacturers left her behind.

The Soul hits a sweet spot, and ppl love them because they are reasonably priced and packaged so well.  I also like the Venue, in loaded form.  The 2021 Kicks has a lot of personality, plus a kick-ass Bose sound system, heated leatherette seats, heated steering wheel, etc, all for around $25k.

The GMC Granite never materialized.  I was gaga over it, especially the pickup version.

Now, back on the wretched idea of an EV CUV with tacked-on Corvette styling cues please.

GMC-Granite_Concept-2010-pics-1.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e2013489142b64970c-800wi.jpg

Edited by ocnblu
2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I came from a video where the Model Y stickered about $63K (plus it no longer has the fed rebate). Tesla options are expensive, if I recall correctly- video said 'autopilot' was 10 grand (and it wasn't on the $63K Y).

What's next for Ford is 2 more versions of the Mach-E, one of which is the upcoming Mach-E GT, so the available one is NOT the top performance EV. Then, a slew of other EVs reportedly.