Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: Chevrolet Ponders An Expansion of the Corvette

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I came from a video where the Model Y stickered about $63K (plus it no longer has the fed rebate). Tesla options are expensive, if I recall correctly- video said 'autopilot' was 10 grand (and it wasn't on the $63K Y).

What's next for Ford is 2 more versions of the Mach-E, one of which is the upcoming Mach-E GT, so the available one is NOT the top performance EV. Then, a slew of other EVs reportedly.

But the Mach E GT starts at $60k and is slower with about 100 miles less range than the Tesla Model Y Performance that is $59k base and with the couple options outside of autopilot it is $63k.  

And Tesla has the Model S Plaid coming this year with 0-60 in under 2 seconds, 1/4 mile under 9 seconds, top speed 200 mph, range over 500 miles for $145k.   Not that I expect Ford to answer that, but Tesla is going to be throwing down some new performance standards.  So who is going to match it?  If GM wants to do an electric Corvette, maybe they can target those numbers, even though a sedan is doing that, which is insane.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Corvette SUV is a horrible idea, they shouldn't do it. However I think GM will do it.   The "Corvette" name still means something because it hasn't been watered down or trashed.  If GM wants to

A gm move.  A spiral downward.  That is the new reality.  It's like a childhood stolen.

Yes, a performance electric SUV would fit the Corvette family nicely!

Posted Images

Model Y & Mach-E GT are both supposed to do 0-60 in 3.5 secs. But here's the deal:

1. both are plenty quick enough,
2. NOBODY is drag racing these against each other for prize money, and
3. the quickest vehicle in a given segment is almost never the highest sought-after.

In other words; a few tenths is meaningless unless it's a competition vehicle (which these aren't).

Tesla's biggest problem is stale styling and over-pricing (the company still loses money selling cars). They can charge whatever until competition starts heating up, then the probability they're F'd rises quick. There's a LOT more Ford buyers out there than Tesla buyers.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Model Y & Mach-E GT are both supposed to do 0-60 in 3.5 secs. But here's the deal:

3. the quickest vehicle in a given segment is almost never the highest sought-after.

In other words; a few tenths is meaningless unless it's a competition vehicle (which these aren't).

Tesla's biggest problem is stale styling and over-pricing (the company still loses money selling cars). They can charge whatever until competition starts heating up, then the probability they're F'd rises quick. There's a LOT more Ford buyers out there than Tesla buyers.

The performance specs are very  close but range isn’t.  And Tesla’s are very competitively priced compared to other EV’s of similar performance/features.  And I think the Mustang Mach E turned out really well even though the name is dumb.

Making money doesn’t seem to matter for Tesla.  Tesla is worth $802 billion and Ford is worth $45 billion.  No matter how many F150’s Ford sells, investors will still put their money on Tesla.  Right or wrong that is just how it is. 

You realize that that money Tesla is 'worth' is all borrowed, right?
Stock revenue is not something a company is supposed to survive off of.
Tesla still, I believe, loses money on every car they sell.

And a company's worth is far more than just it's stock price.

Tesla failed to take a big enough bite out of the market in order to gain & maintain a lead.

• Upvote 3

It's GM Marketing and top brass salivating at the chance to capitalize on the Corvette name...again. The Chevrolet Corvette is a classic two door premium sports car that sits low to the ground with a front or modern day mid-engine setup and that's how it should stay. The 1,000 hp Super-car Corvette Zora coming in a few years with a high winding 850hp 5.5TT V8 thundering away pushing behind the driver and passenger is the propulsion and sound it always needs, the 150 hp electric motor pulling in front is all the electric propulsion it should have. BEV's have their place, but we need to keep the sweet sounding V8 and only two doors while sitting low to the ground in a Corvette.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Emissions standards all over the world after 2030 or 2035 say otherwise for ANY internal combustion  engine. 

Im all for the Corvette to retain its V8 engine as long as its possible. Until its V8 cant pass emissions any longer. If by any chance, ICE engineers can somehow engineer a V8 (not JUST any ICE like a 4 banger, but a V8... Corvette, right?)  to pass the inevitable highly impossible emissions, then Ill be ecstatic about a V8 Corvette in a EV world. But lets not kid ourselves here....  Pie in the sky scenarios aside, I hope we all understand that the world no longer wants the ICE.  I hope we could understand that BEVs are what is next in our future for our personal transportational needs.  Be it in 2035 or 2055....its coming...

Especially when GM has said to have stopped working on new generation internal combustion engines.  

Oh...they will updated this new LT2 in the coming decade, but as is, this engine will never pass the impossibly high emissions to come in 2030 or 2035. And seeing that development money is zero for a next gen Chevy small block, this would be the last gen V8 GM will produce. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
On 1/15/2021 at 8:30 PM, smk4565 said:

A Corvette SUV is a horrible idea, they shouldn't do it. However I think GM will do it.

The "Corvette" name still means something because it hasn't been watered down or trashed.  If GM wants to make a high performance electric crossover, I'd say that is what Cadillac is for.

This goes to a greater problem with how trash the brand image of Ford and Chevrolet are, why they have to call everything Corvette or Mustang, why the Bronco doesn't say Ford on it, etc.  Compared to say Tesla, where the brand matters more than the model.  Ask a Corvette owner what kind of car they drive, they'll say Corvette, not Chevy, ask a Model S owner and they'll say Tesla.  GM needs to make the Chevy brand cool, not trash the Corvette name with SUVs.

I agree with you that GM should not make an SUV model with the Chevy Corvette name, but you can't compare a model like the Model S that's only been around since 2012 to a legendary model like the Corvette that's been around since 1953, not even in the same league. 

It's comes down to uniqueness and notoriety, Model S is a bland generic model name that doesn't resonate with people, so Tesla has to be mentioned with the model and people know all Tesla's are EV's so there's no need to elaborate. Chevrolet is a storied brand where Tesla has a lot of catching up to do. It has nothing to do with a "trash image" with not mentioning Chevrolet with Corvette, it's just implied and doesn't need to be mentioned as they are both well know very unique names that need no introduction. It's the same with the Silverado name even though only a model name since the 1999 redesign it was a trim name in the SB trucks of the 70's and 80's so it's known that it's a Chevrolet pickup. Even the Cadillac Escalade has a very strong model branding that can be mentioned with or without Cadillac, has nothing to do with the image of Cadillac, people just know because both are a storied brand name and model, unlike Tesla's models with zero unique qualities.

BTW, I am a Corvette owner and I say it's a Chevy Corvette or C5 Chevy Corvette or if talking to a fellow Corvette owner only C5 Coupe needs to be brought up, it has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to bring up the Chevrolet or Chevy name or it not being thought of as a great storied brand name. How many songs have been written about Tesla? Zero. Chevrolet on the other hand? Several.  

Also, Tesla only has 4 or 5 models so saying Tesla is easier for owners when the actual models have very little notoriety and zero uniqueness. If you only say Chevrolet they will say oh which one a car, truck or SUV? (of 18 -20 models currently on sale including commercial vans and medium duty trucks) MUCH larger company. And as far as Tesla's Stock or company value it's VERY over valued, anyone in the stock market knows it's majorly bloated. 

Chevrolet to Tesla is Apples to Oranges. Or maybe Apple Pies to Creamsicles?   

• Thanks 1
On 1/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, smk4565 said:

But what is next for Ford also?  If the Mustang Mach-E is the top performance Ford EV, do they just go down from there?  The Model Y is the slowest Tesla.  For Ford I think electric F150 is key to get that market locked down before the Cybertruck takes it over.

There is nothing stopping them from adding a sedan or larger SUV. I know they're not in the sedan/car market anymore but if the market shifts again, these EV skateboard platforms can just change the body to a car. 

We don't even know what a "real" Cybertruck will look like because everybody with a brain knows what they showed off will need drastic changes to even be street legal. 

• Upvote 2
On 1/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, balthazar said:

Plus Ford has a lot more plants, and can build automobiles that hold up over hundreds of thousands of miles without the issues Teslas have.  And they ahve the dealership network, and more engeneerring budget. 

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

There is nothing stopping them from adding a sedan or larger SUV. I know they're not in the sedan/car market anymore but if the market shifts again, these EV skateboard platforms can just change the body to a car. 

We don't even know what a "real" Cybertruck will look like because everybody with a brain knows what they showed off will need drastic changes to even be street legal. 

Cybertruck and F150 will fill different market segments, but my money is on Ford here. 

• Upvote 1
On 1/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, ocnblu said:

flat wrong

They want both. The Free market should provide both.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:57 AM, balthazar said:

You realize that that money Tesla is 'worth' is all borrowed, right?
Stock revenue is not something a company is supposed to survive off of.
Tesla still, I believe, loses money on every car they sell.

And a company's worth is far more than just it's stock price.

Tesla failed to take a big enough bite out of the market in order to gain & maintain a lead.

Ford valuation is up quite a bit.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Emissions standards all over the world after 2030 or 2035 say otherwise for ANY internal combustion  engine. 

Im all for the Corvette to retain its V8 engine as long as its possible. Until its V8 cant pass emissions any longer. If by any chance, ICE engineers can somehow engineer a V8 (not JUST any ICE like a 4 banger, but a V8... Corvette, right?)  to pass the inevitable highly impossible emissions, then Ill be ecstatic about a V8 Corvette in a EV world. But lets not kid ourselves here....  Pie in the sky scenarios aside, I hope we all understand that the world no longer wants the ICE.  I hope we could understand that BEVs are what is next in our future for our personal transportational needs.  Be it in 2035 or 2055....its coming...

Especially when GM has said to have stopped working on new generation internal combustion engines.  

Oh...they will updated this new LT2 in the coming decade, but as is, this engine will never pass the impossibly high emissions to come in 2030 or 2035. And seeing that development money is zero for a next gen Chevy small block, this would be the last gen V8 GM will produce. 

The Camaro V8 couldn't pass Euro emissions, I think the Corvette was reworked to pass it, but yes, it will only get tougher or ICE powertrains could just be banned in 2035.  It is nice to let the V8 run out it's life cycle, but that isn't the future, so it isn't where companies will put their engineering dollars. 

But I think they can make an electric Corvette that is faster than the V8 Corvette, so I don't see losing the V8 as anything that hurts.  It is just evolution, most family sedans had a 3-3.8 liter V6 15 years ago, now most have a 2 liter 4-cylinder and are faster.  It's just progress.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
On 1/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, USA-1 said:

I agree with you that GM should not make an SUV model with the Chevy Corvette name, but you can't compare a model like the Model S that's only been around since 2012 to a legendary model like the Corvette that's been around since 1953, not even in the same league. 

It's comes down to uniqueness and notoriety, Model S is a bland generic model name that doesn't resonate with people, so Tesla has to be mentioned with the model and people know all Tesla's are EV's so there's no need to elaborate. Chevrolet is a storied brand where Tesla has a lot of catching up to do. It has nothing to do with a "trash image" with not mentioning Chevrolet with Corvette, it's just implied and doesn't need to be mentioned as they are both well know very unique names that need no introduction. It's the same with the Silverado name even though only a model name since the 1999 redesign it was a trim name in the SB trucks of the 70's and 80's so it's known that it's a Chevrolet pickup. Even the Cadillac Escalade has a very strong model branding that can be mentioned with or without Cadillac, has nothing to do with the image of Cadillac, people just know because both are a storied brand name and model, unlike Tesla's models with zero unique qualities.

BTW, I am a Corvette owner and I say it's a Chevy Corvette or C5 Chevy Corvette or if talking to a fellow Corvette owner only C5 Coupe needs to be brought up, it has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to bring up the Chevrolet or Chevy name or it not being thought of as a great storied brand name. How many songs have been written about Tesla? Zero. Chevrolet on the other hand? Several.  

Also, Tesla only has 4 or 5 models so saying Tesla is easier for owners when the actual models have very little notoriety and zero uniqueness. If you only say Chevrolet they will say oh which one a car, truck or SUV? (of 18 -20 models currently on sale including commercial vans and medium duty trucks) MUCH larger company. And as far as Tesla's Stock or company value it's VERY over valued, anyone in the stock market knows it's majorly bloated. 

Chevrolet to Tesla is Apples to Oranges. Or maybe Apple Pies to Creamsicles?   

Tesla is probably the coolest, most desired, or hottest brand name in cars.  Tesla is the "it" brand.  They don't even advertise and yet everyone talks about them.  That's what I am comparing, no brand name carries the impact of the Tesla brand name.  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Right, Ford could do lots of things, they will need an EV cheaper than the Mach-E that can start under $30k at some point.  And they can do mid-size and larger SUVs that aren't performance oriented.  I get that most of the market is not about performance cars, that is why the Rav4/Camry are top sellers in the 2 biggest segments.  So Ford can look at more practical EV's that aren't just about performance.  But when you use the Mustang name, you position the Mach-E as your top performance EV, now maybe they have a faster version coming, like a Mustang Mach-E Cobra R or Shelby GT, only time will tell.   But Tesla has a 1,100 hp car going on sale this year, so we are entering a world where the Hellcat V8 is weak and obsolete as far as performance goes.  Companies are going to have to hop on board the EV train for performance cars in a hurry.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Tesla is probably the coolest, most desired, or hottest brand name in cars.  Tesla is the "it" brand.  They don't even advertise and yet everyone talks about them.  That's what I am comparing, no brand name carries the impact of the Tesla brand name.  

Need to add this to the Delusional posts column 👆🏼

Well they do have the Shopping Mall sales model so there's that exposure to the masses...that other mainstream car makers don't use because they don't have to.

What about your vaunted Mercedes Benz brand love affair? Y'all split up? 🤪

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

The Camaro V8 couldn't pass Euro emissions, I think the Corvette was reworked to pass it, but yes, it will only get tougher or ICE powertrains could just be banned in 2035.  It is nice to let the V8 run out it's life cycle, but that isn't the future, so it isn't where companies will put their engineering dollars. 

But I think they can make an electric Corvette that is faster than the V8 Corvette, so I don't see losing the V8 as anything that hurts.  It is just evolution, most family sedans had a 3-3.8 liter V6 15 years ago, now most have a 2 liter 4-cylinder and are faster.  It's just progress.

Ive read somewhere that emission regs will be so tight that NO internal combustion engine will be able to pass it.  No need to ban ICE when they wont be able to pass the regs.  

But this way though, an ICEV could  be driven to race tracks and the like. Its just that ICEVs wont be able to be driven in the urban environment.  Big cities all over the world are seeing that to happen.  

An EV Corvette WILL be faster than a regular V8 Vette.  Corvette engineers will see it through. 

The top of the line Zora is said to be a very powerful hybrid Vette. 1000 horsepower.  800 some odd V8 horsies and 200 some odd EV horsies powering the front wheels making the Vette  AWD.   Scheduled for 2025-2026.   But...THAT could all change.  The Grand Sport was supposed to be coming. The LT2 V8 with wide and aero of the Z06.  Instead...Chevy will do the E-Ray.   A hybrid  with the same amount of the projected Grand Sport horsepower and torque...  So...nothing says to me that in 2025 or 2026 maybe Chevy makes an all electric Zora with 1000 HP and AWD and just ditch the V8 all together...  Or they keep the Zora as a hybrid and Chevy does an all EV Vette supplanting the Zora.  Or...an all EV Vette becomes the C9.  Which I ALSO read somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But when you use the Mustang name, you position the Mach-E as your top performance EV, now maybe they have a faster version coming, like a Mustang Mach-E Cobra R or Shelby GT, only time will tell.

Well...there IS a faster version coming as the Mustang Mach E GTis due in the coming weeks...if not out already. No tests have been done yet on either a long rang Mach E or the GT. 

But yeah...Cobra, Shelby and Super Snake versions are probably  in the works right about NOW making even FASTER Mach Es... 

Dont forget that a long range Mach E is out due soon in the next couple of weeks....

The Savage Geese video featured the mid level Mach E.  The Model Y was a higher level Model Y.  The Mustang Mach E that  was in the Savage Geese video was pretty spot on where a Model Y was.  Take the lower ranged Model Y and the mid-level Mach E has a longer range.  The long range Mach E might be able to equate the range of the Model Y...tests need to be done...and the GT might be as fast as the top Model Y.  

Any way you slice it...the Mach E EQUALS the Model Y.

The only thing that lets the Mach E down is the charging system...but THAT is more on the push/pull politics of the USofA regarding EVs rather than the Mach E being an inferior product to the Tesla.  And regarding EV charging infrastructure...depending on what reality you choose to believe, that infamous push/pull Im talking about is what is letting EVs down in the US.  Anywhere else in the world, options seem to be the only obstacle. But as options are opening up, EV sales are going up. 

In Europe, ICEV sales were down last year. But BEVs were way way up. Despite a pandemic. And coincidentally, many European manufactures also offered many alternatives to Tesla this past year.  

On 1/16/2021 at 12:03 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Mention Corvette and everybody goes bat shyte crazy.   And you guessed it...BECAUSE ITS A CHEVY...  Proof?  YOU just did exactly that...

Hey @smk4565

Remember when I answered you with this?

Well...it goes both ways, buddy!

Mention Tesla...and some go bat shyte crazy! 

Gives TDS a new meaning, doesnt it?

Tesla Derangement Syndrome

Kinda ironic too if you think about it... 

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

If this was true, Tesla would be selling more EVs in Europe than VW, but then that is not happening yet.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:04 AM, oldshurst442 said:

CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards means that GM can still build V8's that many of their customers still want and buy. It's why they are building BEV's on the GM BEV3 skateboard architecture so they can lower the corporate average within GM. It's why they produce(d) the compliance Volt and current Bolt EV's so we can have sweet Corvette's, Camaro's and Silverado's with a V8.

Cadillac is the only GM brand that has committed to exclusively building BEV's by 2030, and that's a stretch, I think they will find that they will still have to offer ICE models well past that year. The V8 is here (with GM at least) for the next 20 or 25 years because they sell hundreds of thousands every year and that's what the bean counters and stock holders want..new units down the road. They will always build what sells well and many buyers aren't ready to make the move to EV's now, if ever.

I would and have had both an ICE and an EV vehicle at the same time so I'm opened minded, but I also see what the automotive market moves.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

The top of the line Zora is said to be a very powerful hybrid Vette. 1000 horsepower.  

Tesla is going to have 1,100+ horsepower this year.   Don't have to wait until 2025-2026.  

What they could do with the C8 s try to cut weight, it would drive up cost, but they could make higher ends more track focused and push the handling and braking capabilities rather than straight line speed.  

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

Need to add this to the Delusional posts column 👆🏼

Well they do have the Shopping Mall sales model so there's that exposure to the masses...that other mainstream car makers don't use because they don't have to.

What about your vaunted Mercedes Benz brand love affair? Y'all split up? 🤪

Mercedes is my favorite brand, 7 consecutive Formula 1 championships too.  But Tesla is the brand everyone is chasing.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

Tesla is going to have 1,100+ horsepower this year.   Don't have to wait until 2025-2026.  

What they could do with the C8 s try to cut weight, it would drive up cost, but they could make higher ends more track focused and push the handling and braking capabilities rather than straight line speed.  

I give a less than 25% chance of Tesla Delivering. Their semi and Truck plus the new Plaid power train upgrade to the S and X models will come before a limited production Roadster happens.

Issues with Tesla 3 also are going to hit hard if they do not update to incorporate the Model Y improvements into the 3.

Tesla is as usual years behind delivering Roadster 2.0.

With Rivian, Ford and GM coming on strong, I expect Tesla to take a major hit. Many reviews by Tesla owners who are getting their Mach-E and talking about how much better it is than Tesla. 

Tesla is gonna have major headaches later this year if they do not get their butt in gear to update and have a better quality built auto.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The thing is though, if we wanna praise horsepower...Bugatti has had 1000 horsepower for over a decade.  Bugatti right now has 1500 HP.  On good 'ole ICE. 

On good 'ole ICE, WW2 airplanes have had 1500-2000 HP. 

But we are on the same page here.  I loved what you said about Tesla's performance numbers are on heavy, family hauling sedans and not super touchy, super expensive, space deficient exotic cars.  THAT is incredible.  And what Tesla could do with their motors, batteries, softwares and everything else Tesla is known for... 

@balthazar once said that, and I really believe in what he said, is that the next big frontier in the EV world WILL be weight. The next EV maker that could get weight down with batteries and the like, WILL win the next EV battle and thus win market share. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards means that GM can still build V8's that many of their customers still want and buy. It's why they are building BEV's on the GM BEV3 skateboard architecture so they can lower the corporate average within GM. It's why they produce(d) the compliance Volt and current Bolt EV's so we can have sweet Corvette's, Camaro's and Silverado's with a V8.

Cadillac is the only GM brand that has committed to exclusively building BEV's by 2030, and that's a stretch, I think they will find that they will still have to offer ICE models well past that year. The V8 is here (with GM at least) for the next 20 or 25 years because they sell hundreds of thousands every year and that's what the bean counters and stock holders want..new units down the road. They will always build what sells well and many buyers aren't ready to make the move to EV's now, if ever.

I would and have had both an ICE and an EV vehicle at the same time so I'm opened minded, but I also see what the automotive market moves.

I think gas engines will be around 15 years at least.  But Europe has stricter emissions standards than the USA, and a lot of countries may also ban sale of ICE cars as early as 2030.  So it is only a matter of time, whether it be 2030 or 2040, electric will eventually take over.  

I also think electric will take over from top down, because the performance of electric will be so much more than gasoline.  The only reason to buy ICE will become cost, on stuff like an Elantra or Corolla, where you can get the car cheap.

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

Valid points, but I do think as people see more EV options, drive them and depending on where you live, I see the V8 being enthusiast more than anything in about 15 years.

42 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I think gas engines will be around 15 years at least.  But Europe has stricter emissions standards than the USA, and a lot of countries may also ban sale of ICE cars as early as 2030.  So it is only a matter of time, whether it be 2030 or 2040, electric will eventually take over.  

I also think electric will take over from top down, because the performance of electric will be so much more than gasoline.  The only reason to buy ICE will become cost, on stuff like an Elantra or Corolla, where you can get the car cheap.

I am speaking on the U.S.A. where live with cheap gasoline (at least until the current Admins. dire energy regulations jack prices up again). Europe has their own problems like $5/gal. fuel, that's the main reason their EV sales are through the roof there.

EV's do have the low end torque and get off the line quickly, but ICE cars the Chevrolet Corvette C8 500 hp 6.2L V8 is also very quick at 2.95 sec. 0-60 mph and still gets 27 mpg hwy.

EV's main downfalls are up front cost and excess weight from the battery packs, Tesla's with 300+ mi. range are hogs at 5k to 6k lb. curb weight for most of their models.