2006 - 2007 Buick Lucerne Commercials

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I always wanted to like the Lucerne. I tried. Very hard.  But I was fooling myself.  When I look at the Lucerne, all I see is yet another attempt from GM  to replace Oldsmobile with Buick by taking  the very dead Oldsmobile vehicles and rebadging them as Buicks.

At least with the Lucerne, GM did some reskinning. The Rainier was a straight up badge swap. The minivan was also a straight up badge swap with the Silhouette, except for the front clip if I remember correctly. 

The Lucerne, is a very very ugly version of a very very bloated looking 2nd generation Aurora. Dont get me wrong, I love the 2nd gen Aurora. But it looks very bloated. Especially compared to the 1st gen. And the 1st gen was longer. It was sleeker.  

2007 Buick Lucerne | Top Speed

Cheap Wheels: 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®  The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

Interior wise

The Aurora remained eons ahead of the Lucerne in terms of design. The Lucerne catered to the walking dead old generation of boomers with one foot in their grave.   The irony is that the Aurora started Oldsmobile's rejuvenation. What a travesty that Buick used the Lucerne to continue on with their quest of their octogenarian market domination.

2008 Buick Lucerne: 25 Interior Photos | U.S. News & World Report

2002 Oldsmobile Aurora Pictures - 81 Photos | Edmunds

I dont remember the quality of materials and the fit and finish in the Lucerne, but over at Oldsmobile and in the Aurora, the quality and fit and finish was a good 2-3 steps above every other brand in the GM umbrella.  Oldsmobile's quality was on par with Cadillac's.  Which is where Oldsmobile and Buick should have been anyway and Cadillac should have been ABOVE that. 

My favorite exterior on this platform goes to the very last itineration of the Pontiac Bonneville. The GXP which was also free of the body cladding.  The C Pillar design was a tad different and the nose of the car was done sharply bringing out the sleekness of that platform design.

Review Flashback! 2005 Pontiac Bonneville | The Daily Drive | Consumer  Guide® The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

Oldsmobile's 4.0 Aurora V8 was upstaged by the 4.6 liter NorthStar in the Bonneville as well. 

The interior emulated the Oldsmobile. But with a sportier feel. And much cheaper materials. AKA...more plasticky. 

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Pictures - 51 Photos | Edmunds

If I was Frankensteining  my version of this platform, I would be taking the Bonneville GXP exterior with the Aurora interior.   The Northstar 4.6  would be my choice over the Aurora 4.0.