Sign in to follow this  
Intrepidation

Latest Ford Speculation Kills Mercury Freestyle

13 posts in this topic

Detroit's latest parlor game is figuring out Ford's product plan - and in the latest round of speculation in Automotive News, the company is once again ditching a proposed Mercury version of the Ford Freestyle. The industry weekly reports that Ford president Mark Fields is tearing up large chunks of Ford's future product plan to ensure dynamic styling in upcoming products - the result being that several vehicle redesigns have been delayed or axed altogether. On the list of revisions: a two-year delay for a subcompact car in the U.S. market, a postponement of a Mustang freshening by a year to 2009, the dumping of a large front- and all-wheel-drive Lincoln sedan (however, the production version of the MKS concept will enter production), and the death of the Mercury "Freestyle." On the positive side, the News speculates that Ford is mulling a rear-drive sedan based on the Mustang or an Australian platform, and a Lincoln coupe from the same underpinnings.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...173.A10500.html

Damnit Ford, make up your mind!

Ford is the most intoxicated of all manufacturers, perpetually soused, staggering aimlessly and without balance in directions that end up leading nowhere. And like a drunk, it has a very bad taste in looks and attractiveness. If Ford were a person, it would wake up one morning in bed with Joan Rivers.

Ford is the most intoxicated of all manufacturers, perpetually soused, staggering aimlessly and without balance in directions that end up leading nowhere. And like a drunk, it has a very bad taste in looks and attractiveness. If Ford were a person, it would wake up one morning in bed with Joan Rivers.

Like Josh on a "hundred dollar night"?

:ohyeah::lol:

as a hard-core ford guy their current spaztic way of doing things makes me want to bitchslap bill ford and tell him to make up their collective freaking minds!!!! it ain't that damn difficult!!! :duh:

Edited by grandmarquis

I think that this is just a case of Mark Fields reversing prior decisions. I don't think that this is any worse than when Lutz reversed and postponed some of Zarella's decisions.

So the MKS is not a large FWD sedan?  Ford had plans for a larger Lincoln FWD sedan?

Yes, Lincoln was expected to receive two full-size sedans off of the D3 platform. The MKS sedan can be viewed as a Continental/LS successor. I believe the 2nd/Larger D3 vehicle was suppose to be a Lincoln Towncar replacement around the end of the decade.

We'll see what happens now. Maybe Ford will replace the Towncar on a RWD platform after all. Rumors are that Ford is still working on one (Mustang sourced?)

Does it really matter if Ford builds it or not at this point?

Bill has done as I predicted all along and is slowly running Ford into the ground.

Ford needs to do better than to give Mercury better products than Ford hand me downs.

GM is not out of all of it's problems yet but it is starting to look like Ford will be the one in the deepest troble. Another junk stock down grade again today.

Mercury has become the Pontiac of Ford with more models. They just take some Fords and try to make them fancy and expect people to come rushing into the show rooms. They keep trying to pin badge engineering on GM I think Merury is the poster child for it.

I'd love to see Lincoln and Mercury survive and thrive-with the 2001-03 string of concepts at Lincoln and the 2003 Mercury Messenger concept inspiring the rest of the line instead of subpar mediocrity inspiring the lines. The Fiesta should've been here like 2004; we all know Focus C1 should've come, the Crown Victoria, Ranger, and Econoline redesigned years ago. It won't be body-on-frame, sadly ending an age-old tradition, but there's hope yet for Crown Victoria if an Australian or D2C-based car arrives, provided D2C can be stretched to full-size and offer vast passenger and cargo room, in the spirit of the otherwise spiritless Five Hundred (there's potential for that car, but like Lincoln and Mercury, it hasn't been used yet and the clock's ticking). And I agree that the Ford management is significantly inept, but maybe things could change-I'd be more than willing to help, even though I'm a GM/Mopar guy predominantly.

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

Some encouraging news there tho.... Good to see that we won't have a 3 division allotment of the same FWD car with copied styling...

My only grip: THE POSTPONING OF THE SUBCOMPACT (FOR NOW)

DAMMIT FORD!!!!! Fuel prices are NOT going down and you have an AGING Focus and POSTPONED subcompacts?!?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Ford DESPERATELY needs (as bad as GM) cars in these segments NOW.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this